All Comments on 'Presumed Guilty'

by Cromagnonman

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Good story, but you could drive a coach and horses through the plot lines

Found it most confusing. Possibly if the story had been double the length, a number of the uncertainties could have been cleared up by going into more detail. Possibly overly ambitious, but an enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Where is this set?

The reference to dollars implies the USA, yet you mention a magistrate setting bail which hints at it taking place in the UK (although three magistrates would normally sit during a remand hearing). All very confusing.

ErotonautErotonautabout 11 years ago
Strangled by loose ends

First off, this is clearly set in New South Wales, so I didn't share the previous reviewer's confusion over the appearance of dollars, although I remained unconvinced by either the legal processes described (the DS's attempt to frame Matt was so blatant, there's no way a guilty verdict could stand and Peterson would most likely have faced trial himself for perverting the course of justice) or Paige's desire to get off with her brother-in-law (the first year of which during a period when Matt and Emily had a overtly happy marriage). To be frank, the story would have benefited enormously from your focussing upon the Matt/Emily flashbacks and dialing down the Matt/Paige subplot. As for the government goons, they appeared to have stepped straight out of Carry On Spying rather than an episode of Spooks (plus, even the most inept intelligence agency would have created a detailed profile for a courier, otherwise Emily would have been rumbled on her first mission).

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Really strange story...

FYI, Australia calls its currency "Dollars", although they are not the same as U.S. dollars.

Really strange story, it left me with an uncomfortable feeling.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
?????

Good grief ! Why can't someone just write a "fun" story anymore ? Why MUST everything be perfect ? I, for one, enjoyed the story just the way it was written. Please keep up the good work.

njlaurennjlaurenabout 11 years ago
I liked it

It was a bit sketchy towards the end and if the government bumped emily off they would not allow hubby to go to trial..you cant tell from the story if peterson was told to frame him,which if he did he was a moron,or just incompetent. Likewise the cops couldn't have known emily was poisoned,the poison looks like a heart attack,you would need a tox scan to find it.Also,as far as I know sarin is a nerve gas used in chemical weapons,I think you meant ricin.In real life the,aussie spooks would not kill her,neither would the cia,they both would have wanted her to spill her guts or potentially work as a double agent feeding the us bad info....plus with ausyralua and the us generally being on the same side,unlikely they would have reasons to kill her...

at least the mom made sense,she was trying to protect hubby,but I dont think she would accuse him of murder.

On the other hand,it is an enjoyable read,I liked it

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

Anyone who reads this guy much knows he's an Aussie, or at least his stories are set there. And, the Aussie government didn't kill her, I don't think. I think the CIA was supposed to have done so, as I read the story. Then his government took care of the murderer and prosecution witness next door and then warned him off and got rid of the murder charge, too.

bruce22bruce22about 11 years ago
Interesting and Enjoyable

To have a murder dropped on you out of a clear blue sky is good way to get "in" to a story. I wonder how much of the story was CM's personal experience? I hope that his wife did not die on him suddenly... Why in the world was she found naked?? With such a quick killing poison, taking off her clothes would be a lot of work!

Thank you very much!

chytownchytownabout 11 years ago
Good Read***

Thanks for sharing.

Sam37Sam37about 10 years ago
Enjoyable overall.

However, a couple of tidbits:

1. The story ending was rushed and incomplete.

2. When you have lengthy dialog, please occasionally indicate who is speaking. There were times that I was not certain. Throw me a bone!

jasjonjasjonalmost 9 years ago
Ho Hum

Kinda unfinished.

tazz317tazz317almost 9 years ago
THE SPOOKS ARE VERY COVERT

including the participants. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
WHAT A VERY CONFUSING STORY

TOO many loose ends...too many unfinished ends...too much missed out to render this totally unbelievable.....you missed out far too much information....who was the woman next door who suddenly vanished...what was the outcome of the trial....never was closed off...far too much left to guess what happened...basically....YOU TOTALLY LOST THE PLOT....

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Too bad

And by that I mean it's too bad she spent all those years married to Emily. from what I'm able to glean from the plot of the story she was clearly using him and I doubt she ever really loved him at all. I guess it's a moot point trying to figure out who Emily or whatever her name was, really was as a human being inside considering all the tangled lies and webs she'd been weaving. Killing her off was probably the best decision you made in this story, mate. Can't says I felt really sorry for her. Those who live by falsehoods lies and secrecies usually die by them in the end. Matthew's only mistake in the story was falling in love with a woman who truly didn't give a damn about him. One can understand his reluctance to pursue a relationship with ANY woman, even with Paige.

wapentakewapentakeover 2 years ago

Well that was different!

An entertaining read, as I have come to expect from Cromagnonman, who will no doubt, now be under surveillance until the end of time.

Diecast1Diecast1over 1 year ago

Great story, like it a lot. AAAAAA++++++

MeAReader2MeAReader211 months ago

5 Stars. Loved the story. Wish more stories on this site involved complex plots with intrigue. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Highly recommended!

Hidden Gem! A little thriller with a lot of love.

Posted over 10 years ago and only 17 comments and a 4.4 rating.

If the writer had tightened up the ending the rating would be much higher.

The Hoary Cleric

Foggybottom81Foggybottom812 months ago

Ending was a little rushed.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCromagnonman@Cromagnonman
I'm a pretty normal average male, chronologically well over 18 but psychologically I'm not so sure. I have been writing as a hobby for many years and now that I have time on my hands I am looking to become more professional at it. I enjoy reading, morning walks along the river...