Ratter Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
_Aine_
_Aine_
66 Followers

April stared at the cat for a good fifteen minutes before she realized she was expecting it to talk. It watched her dumbly in return. "We'll try for English, shall we? Hello. April. Human. And you are?"

Its eyes glinted in something resembling mischief but didn't answer.

"Fan-fucking-tastic. Help me off this thing?" She reached a hand slowly towards the cat and breathed her relief when it didn't back away. Leaning heavily on its back she took a few steps towards the snow and slipped, landing draped across its back. The cats head turned to eye her with amusement. "Uh, I don't suppose you could maybe..." she waved in the direction of the snow and righted herself to straddle its back. It made a gruff sound like a chuckle and moved swiftly to the edge of the lake, the moving snow also taking form as six more cats as she got closer.

They didn't pause long enough for April to get off, instead bolting for the forest with the others close behind. She held on for dear life as it pounced and slid along the marbled rocks and ground vines, beating a fine dust through the air. It skidded and changed direction, April's arm tearing on a wayward branch and spilling a red line down its leg. It huffed a bit but didn't slow down.

A hollow opened in the trunk of a tree and they dove in head-first, eliciting a strangled cry from April when she found herself clinging to the cat's neck, dangling vertically as the cat climbed the inside of the tree. She bit her lip as the body slipped out from under her and jolted to once more lengthen out. The hollow opened around them, leading down several worming passageways. Her companion moved at a slower pace, the blood slicked across its neck and leg all but forgotten. She looked behind her at the others, two nudging and swiping at each other playfully while the others focused their attention on her.

Suddenly they came to a halt, the tunnel opening to a large, square room. April slipped off the back and stumbled a bit for her footing. She opened her mouth to thank them when the cats shifted, going transparent before taking form, this time as human. The one who carried her rose up as a worn and wrinkled man with salt and pepper hair and a teasing smile. A practice she'd only seen once before. "You're Shapeshifters" she said.

The man looked shocked at her insight but recovered quickly. "Yes."

"A few of my friends are Shapeshifters. I don't know if you would know them, I'm not sure how many of you there are."

He smiled. "I'm not acquainted with your mathematics, but there are more than I could tell you. What breed are they?"

"Wolf and Dragon."

"What kind of wolf?"

"Um...I don't know. Black, red eyes, kind of nasty."

"Nyart. Unfortunately I know nothing of the brace beyond what they are, and the Dragon breeds are skittish, they won't stay in the same place too long. My name is Oridan. You are welcome to stay as you wish."

"That's nice of you but I really just want to go back the way I came."

He chuckled. "If you can't find your own way back then you're in troubleshilaan. Nobody can take a full form through the space and our people lack the alternative."

"Alternative?"

"Threading. It allows the being to thread a path for another to follow and can pass through the barriers between worlds. It's dangerous and more often than not people find themselves lost or arrive in less than one piece. It's rare to find someone who can thread a stable path."

"Do you know anyone who can...thread?"

"Such practices are unheard of in this era. It's believed the formless beings possess it in natural ability. However they are selfish and cruel at their core and would likely destroy you for the sake of asking. How did you arrive if you possess no direction?"

"That's a really good question" she muttered. At his confused look she continued, "I think it might have something to do with my powers. They're new and I guess a little unstable."

"You're just coming in to your powers now?"

"Yeah, they were blocked. I still don't know what I am."

Oridan's eyes grew wary. "Powers are blocked for good reason."

"Such as?"

He tilted his head, eyeing her curiously. "It depends on the being. Sometimes it is for innocent purposes such as a weak coalescence of physical and mystical forces. Sometimes it is a means to punish one who would misuse their power. Sometimes a guard against an unrivaled force of neutral allegiance, in order to protect the worlds from their fury."

"Why neutral?"

"A powerful being will always be neutral. Its actions are not."

The possibilities flew around in her head and she pushed them aside. "So how am I supposed to get back?"

At this he smiled. "If your power is as precarious as you say then that will not be a problem. I doubt you have long to linger in this world."

His voice was far away as the world blurred around her. She landed with a thud on a wooden floor, in front of mirror with Eve tapping her foot in impatience.

***

Seere paced in front of Wade as Michael, Charity and Rane combed through dimensions.

"It has to be her power" he muttered.

"I thought you said you stabilized it."

"Temporarily. It shouldn't have come back so fast. I don't know what's going on."

"Well it's obvious she's more powerful than you thought."

Rane appeared and shook his head at Seere's questioning look. "None of my contacts have seen her. The two you gave me said they'd keep an eye out but nobody's willing to join the search."

Michael joined them and grunted, sinking down on the sofa.

"We tried Lora but it'll be a while before she responds" Wade told him.

Charity came in, shaking with exhaustion. "The elders are in a fix. The idea that an unstable being with unknown power is running around makes them nervous, but the suggestion they should get closer to said being makes them downright scary. They won't help."

"She'll come back" Rane said, sinking down beside Wade. "We just have to wait. She'll stabilize and she'll return home."

If something doesn't get to her first,was left unsaid.

***

It took a lot for April to admit when she was lost. But she was. Every corridor looked the same as the last and even Eve didn't have a clue what to do about it. April slid to the ground in front of an elaborate mirror, drawing her knees to her chest. Eve stared back sympathetically and smiled.

"Well at least I have you to keep me company"

A shrill sound echoed off the walls and April shuddered, glaring at Eve's laughing face in the glass.

"Shut up. You're not helping."

"How very inconsiderate of her" a lyrical voice spoke from her side. She jumped and stared at the old man, suddenly beside her.

His eyes twinkled with mirth and he giggled in kind. "No need to be so frightened my dear. I'm not going to hurt you"

"Y-you're not?" April stammered and threw a glance at Eve. She shrugged and punched the air. Well of courseyou'dwant to fight him.

"I have to say your doppelganger is rather active, child. Is that why you're here?"

"She prefers to be called Eve" April explained as Eve glared at the man.

He looked at her nodding emphatically. "I see"

"And no, that's not why I'm here. Actually I don't know why I'm here. I just came into my powers and-"

"You just came into your powers?" he stuttered.

"Yeah. Someone blocked them and when they were released I started travelling through the worlds against my will. I don't know if you know Earth"

"The human world!"

"Uh, yes."

"Hades"

"Haven't met him"

"No, no, no. Just an expression my dear. Though I wouldn't know how a lord of the dead would assist you in this regard."

"Can you?"

"Can I what?"

"Help me get back home?"

"Home, my dear? You're most definitely not human, and I don't sense you are a vampire either. If you are neither, your home is not truly the mortal plane."


"I..."

"You don't know what you are, do you?"

"I know I want to go back ho- to the human world."

"Yes, yes. But breed, do you know what breed you are dear."

She shifted uncomfortably. Breed was a word she still wasn't comfortable with. "Well, no."

His eyes lit up and he grasped her hands excitedly. "I can read you!"

"No, I don't think..." she cut off as the wind picked up, causing the mirror to sway and Eve turn green in the glass. When it stopped, April was in another room and the man was already running around picking up jars and books.

How he found anything in the state of the room was beyond her. There were jars and books everywhere. On the floor, on the chairs, on the tables. There was a thin trail through the mounds of junk to the fireplace roaring in the corner. She resisted the urge to start throwing them at the little old man.

"Oh, sit!" He instructed, sweeping the books off two chairs and onto the floor. She winced as two more stacks toppled over and sat down.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"Oh dear, haven't I told you?" She shook her head. "Oh my, it's Jack. Well it is to you. You wouldn't believe the kinds of names people dig up for me. Now give me your hand."

"Why?"

He scowled but it looked more adorable than ferocious on his face. Don't question me girl! Give me your hand."


She bit her lip to stop the smile and handed him her hand. He pulled a knife from the air and before she could protest, sliced through her palm.

"Hey!" she tried to pull her hand back but he was too strong.

"Stop fidgeting!" He opened a bottle and poured a green liquid over the wound. She screamed as it sizzled against her skin and the smell of charred flesh filled the air.

"Interesting" he said.

"Interesting! Is that all you have to say?"

"Well what would you like me to say?"

"Oh, I don't know. How about 'sorry I poured acid on your frickin' hand!"

"What's frickin'?"

She stared at him wide-eyed before struggling to draw her hand back.

"Now stop that missy!" he trilled and went back to staring at her hand. "Hmmm...ah yes. Youarefrom the mortal realm."

"Send me back" she hissed as he pressed into the burn.

"Ha! You know Seere!"

She froze. "You know Seere?"

"That's what I said"

"No – I mean, how doyouknow Seere?"

"I don't"

She was staring again. Perhaps it was Eve's influence because all she could think was,there are no witnesses."I'm not following you."

"I knew Vine" Jack said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Vine?"

He nodded and the world swam out of focus.No, not now."Who the hell is Vine? " The ground shifted.Fuck!

She landed face-down on hard earth and closed her eyes.Two steps forward, three steps back.

***

He went to her room, eyeing the spot where she disappeared. The corpse had vanished at the same time she had and he wondered if maybe it followed her through the pull. There were so many violent breeds out of the mortal realm. Rane spoke of them all the time. They all knew the possibility that she might not be coming back.

That didn't really worry him

What worried him was that she might not want to. As much danger as there was, there were also worlds far safer. In one of his dreams he'd seen a world that resembled something like paradise. No fear, anger, hate. Emotions that a few hours earlier she'd seen in him. He would have killed her, he knew.

He stretched out on her bed, head resting against the pillows and stared at the ceiling. Options swam in front of him, but one thing was clear. She couldn't stay. Staying would get her killed and he would be the one to do it. It was only when he found her that his control had started to slip. Now he was at the point where it disappeared completely leaving nothing to latch onto, to pull him back.

She needed training and guidance. But he couldn't be the one to give it to her. His fingers ran over the black stone around his neck and he closed his eyes praying that for once it offered him counsel.

***

She lay still with her head on the ground until she felt a presence in front of her. "Before I open my eyes, you should know I'm tired and cranky and really can't put up with anymore bullshit. So whether you have the ability or not youaregoing to help me."

There was silence and she nodded, opening her eyes.

The being was tall and lanky, their bone structure showing through pale yellow skin. She got to her feet and brushed off her clothes, staring skeptically at the calm, silent figure. "Well?"

It didn't reply, but looked behind it to others of similar appearance gliding towards them.

"So you have friends. I have one thing to say to that. I. Don't. Care."

It looked back to her and arched a brow.

She sighed. "You don't understand a word I'm saying do you?"

It reached for her and she pulled back. The being pointed to its throat and waved its hands in a negating manner.

"You don't speak."

It nodded.

"Does anyone here speak?"

A shake of the head 'no'.

"Perfect" she muttered.

It held a hand out shyly and this time she took it. The creature stared at another for a few minutes before leading her away from the group and heading towards a large stone cube in the distance. When they approached April noticed the thin lines of a doorway opening and allowed the being to drag her through it.

Inside was a plain stone chamber with hollows caved into the walls. Each hollow held a tear-drop stone of glittering black alternating with burnt umber, a pure white chalky substance rolled under her feet. "What is this?" she whispered.

Where your questions may be answered.

She looked around the room noting no other than the being at her side.

We are the voices of those who inhabit this world. You will not find what you seek.

"So they do talk then. Just not in person."

As one. We are an entity combined.

"Combined? You mean they weren't always like this?"

Once we were alone. Our voices were many. Loud, harsh. Voices divided our purpose. We are one now.

"Purpose?"

To see. To know. To feel. To learn. This is our purpose.

She thought for a moment, slipping her hands inside her pockets. "What about expression? What does it matter if you can't express what you learn?"

The wording of thought is considered finality. We are unending. Our purpose unending. A word spoken must be truth. Music is not heard until every note is written.

"Well that's...confusing. Look, I just want to get back to the mortal plane. Do you know how?"

Yes.

"Are you going to tell me?"

You must follow your own path.

"I can't. My powers aren't under my control. I don't know how to use them."

You believe this. Yet it is untrue. The powers are inside you, around you. They are in your control, should you extend your hand to reach them.

She shifted uncomfortably and tried a different angle. "Can you thread a path for me?"

We are capable.

"Will you?"

It will be most complicated. The instability of your powers may spark against the written lines within the Netherspace. We offer no security.

"Please. I just want this to be over."

As you wish.

This time when the world spun she could feel a psychic tug to a more certain direction. She could feel home. The world fell away and a smile touched her lips. Her feet dropped to a smooth, white surface and her look of confusion quickly turned to dread. No she wasn't home.

Air blew past her ear and a soft voice whispered. "Hello April."

***

He stirred from his sleep and sat up staring at his own reflection. He knew instinctively she hadn't returned. His body was shaking and it took him a minute to realize he wasn't alone in his head. He stumbled to his feet and started to make his way to the door when a roar pulled him pack.

Palms pressed tightly at his temples, he slid to the floor. Images from his dream hit him like a live wire and he convulsed, choking on the air. Images of him bloody and beaten, images of April dead on the ground with insects tearing eating away at the decaying flesh. Leaves crushed underfoot and the stale silence of a funeral parlor. His hand, clawed and tearing her body apart came with the sterile ease of the act. Her screams vibrated through his body and when he opened his eyes, he had blood on his hands.

Head me.

The blood disappeared and he gasped for breath. The lingering presence reminding him that while it was silent, that part of him was very much alive.

***

April was frozen in place watching wide-eyed as Gare, as he called himself, paced confidently around the room. Maybe asking him 'who the hell he thought he was' and telling him to 'get his fucking hands off her before she beat him into a new fashion-crisis' hadn't been such a good idea. He'd waggled his finger tauntingly, and then suddenly she couldn't move. At all.

He watched her with dark intensity, knowing full well what he was doing to her. He knew. Shesawit. He knew what happened to her after that van took her and the other girls away in those missing years. Those years where she had been helpless. Those years that made her strong.

Until now.

Her voice was calm and controlled. "Are you going to kill me?"

"There are so many more interesting things I can do with you April, most of which would be far more interesting with you alive."

She shuddered internally and tried to clench her fists, failing miserably. "Well the last guys gave me a deep and meaningful lecture, why don't you start with one of those? C'mon, tell me the meaning of life. Or, you know, at least do your evil tirade thing and have me shaking at your power."

He smiled. "It's not about life or death. Such things don't exist on any plane it's merely a journey, thereby nullifying the order. It's not about power, because power is transferable and where there is power there will always be someone to challenge it. No, what really matters is control. That's what I'm showing you now, April. Not just power, control. Something you are yet to learn."

April dropped the bravado and slammed her eyes shut as he closed in on her. Long, icy fingers traced down her throat and she prayed to any god listening to make it stop. She thought of home and the warm bed and arms waiting for her. The ice slipped down to the hem of her shirt and the panic increased. She screamed through the ether and tried to struggle against Gare's will.

A surge pulsed at her centre like an irregular heartbeat, signaling her power. Unstable, too unstable to use. But what choice did she have? His fingers traced over her breast, and her decision was made. She called to the energy inside of her with one command:Seere. And when the world swam out of focus, he was there. The echo of a parting whisper in her mind.

One second of shocked violet before blindness hit. April gasped against the sensation flooding her body, the environment around her swept around in an unnatural wind as she lost control over her energy. Her blood sent a cool fire through her veins forcing her to double over at the unfamiliar force. It didn't hurt, but it felt awkward. Like something was ripping apart her insides, but all she felt was the tearing, not the pain.

Seere stepped forward cautiously. "April?"

She hissed at him. "Vermin! My methods of causing you pain will see your blood slick on the walls only parting to drown in every scream extracted from your withering hide."

Rane walked up beside him with his hands in his pockets. "Shouldn't we be helping her?"

"I have no use for such insolence, be gone and pray to the gods for the mercy I will deny you"

"I don't know, I kind of like her like this."

Her head lolled back and her eyes rolled into her skull as a piercing scream tainted the air. Rane and Seere took the chance to bolt forward and hold her steady. Somewhere in the confusion she felt the now familiar touch and the power being drawn from her into him. With a weak sigh she sunk back against Rane and let him pull her into his arms as the last dregs of power were tugged into control. "There really is no normal for you guys is there?" she muttered.

_Aine_
_Aine_
66 Followers