Rekindled Heat Ch. 03

Story Info
Confusion and temptation.
3.5k words
4.32
13.6k
7

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/07/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rachel sighed, leaning back in her chair at the library, watching the clock tick away the seconds.

Hunter was late.

Twenty minutes late, to be precise, and she was getting fed up with his attitude. And to think she'd thought he was changing.

He's probably still asleep, she mused, adding a ribbon to the doodle-covered paper before her. Eleven is awfully early when you've been out 'til 3.

Glancing around the second floor one last time, she began to pack up her stuff. If she wasn't going to learn any math today, she could at least start on that paper for Greek Lit.

Rachel nearly screamed when she felt a hand on her shoulder, and whipped her head around to see a tired looking Hunter.

"You're late." She said, trying to recover from her surprise.

"So? Get your stuff out."

Groaning inside, she obeyed, yanking her book from her bag and setting it down on the table.

He raised an eyebrow disdainfully, motioning for her to speak.

"Okay, so today I need to figure out how to graph trig functions. I know sine and cosine, but the rest. . ."

Nodding, he set to work, starting by sketching the graphs.

Ten minutes later, she started at the sensation of her phone buzzing in her pocket. Glancing at the caller id, she bit back a moan and told Hunter she'd be right back. The look he gave her was one of pure annoyance, but she ignored him and headed for the stairwell.

"Hey, Dad, what's up?"

"Rach, I might need your help this weekend. I'm starting to clean out the house, and --"

"Wait, you're selling it? What happened to thinking about it?"

"Honey, I know the house is important to you. And to me, too. But. . . I can't live with these ghosts. I need to--"

He paused, the sound coming over the line hitting Rachel in the heart.

"I have to move on. I can't do that in that house, sweetie."

She took a deep breath. She only wanted what was best for him, but what about her? Didn't she have some say in this?

Not really. Because what she wanted wasn't nearly as important as what her dad needed. She had to stop being so selfish.

"It's okay, Dad. I understand."

He sighed. "Thank-you, Rach. I know this isn't easy for you."

"It's nothing," she lied, "I just want you to be happy."

"And I want that for you too."

Taking a deep breath, she shoved the suffocating feeling away. "So when did you need me to come over?"

"Well, I thought I'd box up the back room first, seeing as how I don't use any of that stuff anymore."

Rachel squeezed her eyes shut, fighting to maintain her hard-won control. The back room was where all her mother's things had been stored. "Okay. How about eleven, Saturday?"

"That's perfect."

"I've gotta go, but I'll be there Saturday. I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, honey."

Ending the call, she hugged herself, then returned to the table and a very pissed off Hunter.

"You done with your chat?" he asked darkly.

"Yes." He cut a sharp glance at her cool response and picked up his pencil. Hesitating, the look on her face broadcasting the fact that she was upset, he tried to ask her what was wrong without sounding too concerned.

"You okay?"

"Fine." She answered curtly, pointedly moving to continue working on math.

"Liar."

He had no idea why he'd provoked her like that, but the word had just popped out.

"It's just my dad, not that you care. Now can we get back to work?"

Frowning, he did, wondering what was wrong with her dad, and more importantly, why he gave a damn.

******

Even though it was a Monday night, Joe's was busy.

Cooper glanced up from the game to see Hunter Gallagher saunter in, surrounded by his group of idiots.

Cooper's jaw tensed, but he tried to focus on the game, even when Hunter dropped down onto a stool next to him.

"Hey, it's Rachel's guard dog. What're you doing here, Coop? What if she needs you?"

This time his teeth ground together, but still he ignored Hunter.

"Maybe someone's relieved you of the duty. She is kind of a flirt, you know. I wouldn't be surprised if she's with some guy right now --"

Cooper cut him off, too angry to remain silent. "Shut the hell up, Gallagher. You don't know anything about Rachel."

The other man's green eyes glinted with trouble. "That's where you're wrong, mate. I know more about Rachel than you'll ever know. Did you think we're actually studying at those meetings?"

Growling, Cooper turned to face Hunter. He knew that Rachel would never, ever sleep with Gallagher, even though it was a surprise that he was her tutor.

"Are you so hard up that you have to make up stories, Gallagher? Jesus." He leaned closer, capturing Hunter's gaze and lowering his voice. "If you hurt her -- I don't care what it is, if you make one wrong move, you'll be sorry."

"More threats? Don't make any you can't follow through on, Winters."

Cooper laughed harshly. "Believe me, Hunter, I can and will follow through. Leave Rachel the hell alone."

Anger glinted in Hunter's eyes. "Can't do that. I'm her tutor, remember? And I think the library is just a little too public for what I have in mind for our next session. . ."

Cooper lunged at him, his fury ripping rationality from his mind. He only got two good punches in, though, before he was restrained. Glancing back, he saw the manager of Joe's, a big, thickly muscled guy. "Out." The man demanded, giving him a shove towards the exit. Struggling to tamp down on his anger, Cooper headed outside, still fuming. He strode down the street, not paying attention to where he was going.

What the hell is Hunter's problem? He took every opportunity he could to harass Rachel, a polar opposite to their old relationship. And his attitude to Cooper wasn't any better. They'd been friends, until the week after Rachel's mother had died. Neither of them had known at the time what had happened, but where Cooper had waited for Rachel to return, Hunter had turned angry. He fed into the rumors that Rachel had left school because she was pregnant, or on drugs, sticking to them even when Cooper confronted him. That rift had only grown in high school, until he no longer recognized Cooper. He'd had the suspicion that Hunter had cared about Rachel as more than a friend, but that didn't excuse him.

Cooper shook his head. He'd probably never figure Hunter Gallagher out, and trying was a waste of time. All he could do was warn Rachel.

******

Rachel grimaced, all but falling into a seat at the back of the large classroom of social psych, the last class of the day. And what a day it had been, starting when her phone had woke her up half an hour late, up to the point where it had started pouring rain on the long walk across campus. Shivering in the air-conditioned -- air-conditioned! -- room, she pulled out her notes, barely noticing when Hunter entered and took up a seat a row in front of her.

The class started, the professor droning on about cognitive dissonance, and Rachel struggled to keep her eyes open. Losing the fight, she awoke when someone nudged her. Her eyes flickered open to see the girl next to her grinning knowingly.

"Thanks." She said, stretching and gathering her blank notebook up.

"No problem."

Still groggy from the too-short nap, Rachel rose from her seat and headed out the double doors. Hearing the rumble of voices outside, she slowed, not wanting to make idle chit chat. When a reasonable amount of time had passed, she left the building, noticing a group of guys not too far ahead.

"I'm telling you dude, she's easy. You just gotta know what buttons to push."

"No thanks. I don't need your leftovers, Rob!" The group burst into laughter, then quieted down as another guy piped in.

"Rachel Durand is hot, you can't deny that." She nearly gasped. These guys were talking about her?

"Definitely fuck-able. She's horny, man."

"You would know, right Draper?" Again, the group burst into laughter, and Rachel turned onto a different path.

She recognized that voice. Hunters. Fuming, she hurried out of earshot of the idiots, indignation welling up inside of her. Why the hell did they have to talk about her like that? She'd never slept with any of them; she'd never slept with anyone for that matter. But they still made those maddening jokes, told those sick lies about her. She knew they shouldn't make her so angry, but it was so pointless. What did they gain from doing it?

Her phone rang, and she gratefully pulled herself from her thoughts to answer it. After making plans to join Cooper and some of their friends at the dining hall, she hung up and continued on the path. Shivering in the cool night air, Rachel wrapped her arms tighter around her, trying not to let her imagination get the best of her. The lights here were few and far between, leaving gaping shadows to dance along the path. Distant voices just reached her ears, unintelligible signs of life. Speeding up her pace, she reached the main road and headed for the dining hall, more than ready to finally relax.

*****

Hunter knocked softly on his father's door, knowing that the old man was stringent about procedure. At the bid to enter he gently pushed open the door, shook his father's hand, and settled gracefully into a chair.

"What can I do for you, Hunter?" He could have laughed at the attempt at casualness. His father was nothing if not formal, and only an idiot would take his friendliness for weakness.

"I want a bigger role in the company," Hunter began. His father hated when people beat around the bush, and there Hunter was going to use every insight he had on the man to get what he wanted.

"I'm assuming you have a legitimate reason for thinking you merit this." His father leaned back in his chair, crossing his hands on his desk, his eyes missing nothing.

"I've been working with Kevin Duvaldi for a year now. I think I've learned everything I can from him, and I know the inner workings of the company at least as well as he does." He glanced at his father's expression, but it was blank and unyielding. He'd have to make a damn good case to make any headway, and he started by reciting what he'd learned, moving on to ideas he had for the company.

An hour later, he finally finished, and waited long minutes for his father to make a response. His heart pounded in his ears; he couldn't ever remember wanting anything this badly, he'd never worked so hard in his life.

At last, at last his father drew a breath to answer. "You've shown great potential. I will take your proposition into consideration, but know that you will get no preferential treatment because you are my son."

Hunter nearly scoffed, nearly threw away everything he'd just gained a finger hold on, but restrained himself -- just barely. His father had never given him preferential treatment in anything, let alone his precious company. Where his mother was selfish and attention seeking, his father was a cold workaholic.

"Thank-you, Mr. Gallagher." With that, he left the study, breathing a sigh of relief as he did so.

Inside, he did a little victory dance. All that work, all that time, was about to be rewarded. The only thing he really cared about was within his grasp -- and he needed a little stress relief. Preferably in the form of a little Jack Daniels and some curvy, willing woman.

Grinning, he snagged his coat from the rack by the front entrance and headed towards Rico's.

*****

Hunter laughed as he won another round of pool, taking the money he'd won from some schmuck. He'd been playing pool since he was nine; no one was better. He waved off the next contender, heading back to the bar for another glass of Jack and coke. Sitting on a stool to wait for his drink, he glanced over at a group of people who'd burst into laughter. A couple disentangled themselves from the crowd and joined the queue at the bar, and Hunter recognized Rachel Durand, some guys arm hooked around her waist.

"Sam Adams and a vodka tonic!" the guy shouted to the bartender, then leaned Rachel against the bar. Hunter couldn't hear what they were saying, but from the low tones and Rachel's soft laugh, he could figure it out.

The wait seemed to stretch on and on, and he could hear nothing in the din of the bar but the soft murmur of voices and the flirtatious looks they shared. The bastard's hands slipped down to settle on her hips, as he leaned in to whisper something in her ear, and she tilted her head back in laughter.

By the time his drink arrived, Hunter's teeth were clenched and his heart was beating a quick rhythm in his ears. What the fuck was she doing? He knew what those guys wanted, mostly because usually he was one of those guys.

He watched as the guy led her over to the pool table, and leaned over her, pretending to teach her how to shoot. Hunter scoffed. Rachel was a damn good pool player; this idiot was obviously trying to cop a feel. Taking a swallow of his drink, he watched as Rachel bent over and made an easy shot, laughing. She pressed a kiss to the strangers face and Hunter had had enough. Spinning away from the bar, he grabbed his keys and stormed out, slamming his car door and jerking the car into traffic.

*****

Rachel giggled, checking up and down the street for a cab as they left the bar.

"Poor guy. I think he actually took me seriously."

Cooper laughed, leaning on her a little. "They always take you seriously, Rach. Every time!" She grinned mischievously, readjusting his arm so that she supported him more.

"Oh well. And it's a good thing the weather's holding up, 'cuz we're definitely not getting a cab."

Groaning in mock-despair, Cooper walked with her across the street and started the trek back to campus. He could feel his buzz wearing off but he kept leaning on Rachel anyway, not wanting to lose the comforting feel of her next to him.

Long minutes of silence passed before Rachel slowed and looked up at him.

"Dad called today."

Glancing down at her, he quickly looked down the street. "Aw, shit, Rach. What is it this time?"

She sighed and told him about how her father had decided to sell the house.

"Look, I'm probably being really selfish about this, but I just- Why does he have to sell it? I mean, there are bad memories there, but. . . I don't know."

"He's gotta move on Rach."

"I know that! I do! But what about me? What about what I need? That's the last place I ever saw my mom, and --" She had to stop to keep from crying.

His hand squeezed hers, and Rachel looked up at him gratefully. She didn't even know when his palm had enveloped hers, but she drew strength from the connection.

"You'll be okay. I promise. You're probably the strongest person I know, and if that's not enough to get you through this, then I don't know what is."

She smiled to herself. Cooper could be so sweet when he wanted to be. "And I have you." She whispered, searching his face.

"Yeah, you've got me." He replied, his voice husky. He turned away, and she took the opportunity to study his profile. All the girls in high school, and most of them in college were crazy about that face, about Cooper. Rachel knew he was attractive-- she'd have to be blind not to-- but his tousled blonde hair and all-American good looks had never stirred anything inside of her. People had always mistaken them for a couple, much to Rachel's dismay. There was a girl out there for Cooper, but it most definitely wasn't her.

Their walk continued in a comfortable silence until they reached her building.

"Rach, you know Hunter's just messing with you right? Whatever he's told you, he's just fucking with you."

She laughed. "He's just being an asshole like usual."

"He acts like-- like you're together or something."

She raised an eyebrow. "No. . . that's ridiculous, Cooper! This is Hunter we're talking about here."

Cooper nodded. "Yeah. Okay, you're right. Just be careful okay? You and I both know that Hunter is manipulative, and if he wants something out of you-"

"What could he want out of me?" Her voice was skeptical.

"Rach. The guy likes you." He responded, as if it was obvious.

"What? Are you insane? Hunter hates me. He goes out of his way to mess with me!"

Cooper laughed. "Yeah, sure Rach. Just don't forget he knows how to get what he wants. I just don't want to see you get hurt."

Other guys might have shied away from being so sentimental. Sometimes Cooper did too -- but he knew what she needed to hear, and he wasn't afraid to say it. She smiled. "I know. But really -- even if Hunter does want me, he'd better not hold his breath. I can't stand him. The only reason I speak to him is 'cuz he's helping me with this math."

Cooper nodded. "Good. Want me to help you in?"

"Nah, I'm good. See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Laundry?"

She groaned. "Unfortunately. At least there's no class." Luckily, even though the rest of her week was packed, Rachel's Wednesdays were free. Waving goodbye as she headed upstairs, she couldn't get one thought out of her head. It raced around, keeping her awake as she slipped into bed. Was Cooper right? Did Hunter like her? She groaned, flipping over onto her stomach. She wasn't in high school. If Hunter wanted her, he could damn well act like it.

But for now, she focused on sleeping. Shifting in her bed, Rachel couldn't ignore the glaring fact that she was alone. Sure, she could have a boyfriend, if she wanted one. But relationships had never been easy for her, and she just wasn't a girl who could jump into bed with any guy she met.

If she was . . . she couldn't say how resistant she would be to Hunter. She knew he was hot, and his looks appealed to her far more than most other guys. His dark green eyes, strong jaw, and killer smile made the perfect package. Add in his very well developed body, and she could see why it was so easy for him to get girls.

But his cruelty towards her, as well as his constant harassment, wiped out how hot he was.

Well, almost.

******

Hunter flipped through the keys on his key ring, trying to find the one for his apartment. He heard a soft noise from behind, and spun to see a drenched Rachel. Her cheeks were flushed, her black sweater clinging to her curves. Her drenched curls were pushed back from her face, revealing her lovely ocean eyes. He raised an eyebrow.

"Ummm. . . I just wanted to see if you wanted coffee or something. I know we haven't been friends in a long time, but --"

"Well, come in. You want creamer? Sugar?"

She looked a little surprised, but let him usher her into the room ahead of him.

In the darkness, she gasped, and he could see her silhouette, falling. Instinctively he reached out and grabbed her, pulling her close against him. He stifled a groan at the feel of her pebbled nipples against his chest. She looked up, her dark lashes fringing those eyes. The eyes he couldn't say no to, those eyes that were now filled with hunger.

Still trying to be a gentleman, he began to step back.

"Forget the coffee." She whispered throatily as she pulled him back to her, curling her arms around his neck and pulling his face down to meet hers.

Screw manners, he thought, cupping her face in his hands as he pressed his lips against her, relishing her soft, pliable mouth. Without another word, he led her down the hall to his bedroom. The sex was hot and furious, and together they succumbed to exhaustion, letting sleep overtake them.

Hunter woke with a start. It was still pitch black in his apartment, and at first, he looked around for Rachel.

She wasn't there. She had never been there, he realized with a groan. The sex they'd shared had only been in is dreams, leaving him with the hard-on from hell.