Remember... Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What did the letter say?"

"She said that she was sorry, and that she was forced to carry out the actions surrounding my kidnapping."

"She was blackmailed?"

"She had a daughter from a previous marriage centuries ago, before she became one of my guardians. She never told us."

"I'm sorry," he offered. He didn't know what else to say. His brothers' admonishments once again surfaced from his memories.

"Your other guardians, they don't have families?" He asked, but he already knew the answer.

"No, Mr. Raven," Celistra answered. "To quality as a guardian, we have to have no other immediate family, or any relationships that could compromise us. It is to guard against exactly this kind of scenario."

"'Any relationship that could compromise us', huh?" He muttered. "That's... unfortunate."

"Yes, but we knew this when we signed up," the elf maid sighed with a weak smile.

Amanda leaned against Mark, placing her head on his shoulder. "I hope at least her daughter is safe," she sighed.

A quiet panic started in the pit of his stomach.

Mark knew he has been trying to put off thinking about the choice he would have to make between his duties to Andrew and the kingdom versus his relationship with Amanda. He knew what should come first, and Amanda would be his weakest point. If she were ever taken and used against him... It was unthinkable. Of course, the solution to this problem was obvious.

Mark has always known that his relationships don't last long anyways. While Lena Banks was an unfortunate special case, he has always ended his past relations quickly and guiltlessly. Yet this time, something felt different. A part of him desperately, violently wanted to oppose that thought.

As he meandered through the day, he planned his excuse, and perhaps where he would relocate to in the city. By the time he met up with Chris and Andrew, a course of action has solidified in his mind. He told his brothers and was met with approval and sympathy. He would tell Mari to help him keep up the charade. She would aid him, of course, but she would be disappointed. After all, he had never introduced her to anyone else that he had dated before. He had hoped that she and Amanda would become friends, but asking Mari to tell such a big lie is something that he would never wish upon her.

After a night of fitful sleep, he once again found Amanda coming out of the elven embassy, fresh from her lessons. He pulled her aside, away from her guardians, and delivered the 'news' of his 'redeployment' to the dwarven lands in less than a week. She listened with pained confusion, but in the end, met his story with resigned acceptance, and resolved to spend as much of these last days with him as possible.

That night, as they lay next to each other, both stared up to the ceiling, each lying in sleepless silence.