All Comments on 'Same Ol' (Sci-Fi) Story'

by SoCalOvid

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
DragosLoveDragosLovealmost 17 years ago
Very nice!

The writing style was very creative, and unlike most sci-fi its actually possible to relate to the time period. Well written.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
That was cool...

Great writing - took a while to get into it, but worth the effort. Well Done!

bruce22bruce22about 16 years ago
Fun

You did some good work on your special universe

and worked some amusing twists in.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
The Stainless Steel Rat ruts again.

I must say I prefer your uncensored version - and I suspect Harry Harrison would prefer to write your way - except for the money!

Thanks for the great laugh

Max

MesterSkyggeMesterSkyggealmost 14 years ago
The funniest story I have read in a long, long while!

What a wonderful celebration and parody of scifi clichés, pop-culture references, sexual decadence, and hedonism in general!

I loved every sentence of it, and the appearance of Pussy's metaphorical spine at the end was just the icing on the cake.

Great work!

tazz317tazz317about 12 years ago
INNER SPACE--OUTER SPACE==

learned life still continues. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
WHy not just shove her out of an airlock?

And be done with this silliness?

Sir GalahadSir Galahadover 2 years ago
Herc bears no resemblance to James Bolivar diGriz, and Pussy is no Angelina!

For one thing, although the Stainless Steel Rat's eyes may rove, he does not play around on Angelina; and Angelina is devoted to him. But that's a minor complaint.

I do understand that you are building a universe for Herc Manly to run around in, and to show the risks he is willing to run. I also understand that universe is in the far future from present-day Earth. That said, your over-generous use of contractions for items and institutions in that universe, e.g., "SpacNav" for Space Navy, and GetThere for a robotic taxicab, gets in the way of the story you are telling, like trying to drive a car with a truck in front of you launching snowballs at your windshield. Use such things sparingly, as spices, not an ingredient in your literary stew! (I did like terms like "legalmouth," and the contrast of robo vs humo. THAT'S the way to do it in universe-building!) The terms for companies in the far future that you've contracted and combined detract from that goal of a believable universe. You need to dial it back.

Your punishment of Marta was exquisite. That bit is indeed worthy of James Bolivar DiGriz.

One comment about the style: I felt you were to some extent trying to incorporate a film noir private eye vibe for Herc into the way you told the story. Good idea, but it didn't quite come off. Imagine Sam Spade playing Herc Manly, and you'd really have a good yarn here.

If you play more in this universe, and I hope you will, please keep my comments in mind. You have the potential to write some really good Harrison-style science fiction here, and I'd like to see more of Herc and Pussy, told in a mellower voice.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Just the mention of Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" series is worth 5🌟! Take them, take them now!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous