Scoundrel's Answer Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There was nothing but disdain in Vick's eyes as he kicked the fallen elf. "Get up, bitch. We don't have all night."

His actions brought a horrified gasp from the gnome. "She... how could you? She's-" but what happened next silenced her.

Vick's next kick brought a groan from the elf's bloodied lips, and she clambered to her feet unsteadily. As three unsurprised and one very bewildered sets of eyes followed her movements, the elf woman swept her hair back. She was pale, terribly pale at that point, and simply stared at Vick. She clearly wanted to say something, but instead just bit her tongue. After a moment casting her eyes about the room, she stumbled over toward the cowering man.

"What? How?!" Farangalia was nearly shrieking.

"What, you didn't know?"

The gnome turned her gaze to Alan, then toward Vick as the heavy man tossed the wooden shard aside. It was the dwarf, however, who answered.

"Stake alone won't kill her, you gotta cut her head off, or expose her to sunlight."

"So she's a-"

Farangalia was cut off once more, this time by the sudden gurgle of the man she'd hit with her fear spells. She looked over just in time to see Daphne's fangs penetrate the man's throat. As the elf drained the man dry, her tan began to return. There was nothing sensual or thrilling about her feeding. The man twitched and struggled as long as he could, then went limp gradually.

"Yeah," Vick turned his gaze back to the stairs up, then began tramping toward them.

The gnome woman stared, agape, then turned her gaze from Daphne, to Alan, to Vick, then back. "You're all horrible people!"

Garthur sighed, then rested his hand on Farangalia's shoulder. "The Stone Lord just gives us the materials, we work with them as we can. Their hearts are in the right place. At least Vick and Alan's are. Even if their methods are questionable."

The shocked gnome turned her big eyes up toward the dwarf, "You're not going to turn into some monster too, are you?"

"Nah, and only one girlie here is a true monster," He nodded toward Daphne, just as she dropped the man's body to the floor.

"I always thought you were heroes, you did good for the sake of good!"

"Some of us did, Fara. Some of us did," The dwarf sounded weary, as if he'd had this conversation before. "Some of us did it for the good we could spread, some of us did it for the money," he nodded toward Alan, "And some did it because they were bored." He gestured to Vick, who just looked away, grunting.

"And the vampire?"

"She was never part of the Reavers!" Alan and Vick chimed up in unison.

"She was an operative in the service of Jaron Daar. We didn't know it at the time, we just thought we were dealing with a particularly troublesome assassin. When were about to kill her, she surrendered, and offered up enough information to make us consider her deal. In return for her life, she would serve one of us for the rest of their natural life, and give us information on the usurper of the throne."

At the dwarf's explanation, the gnome nodded, seeming to calm down. "And... so just like that, you accepted her surrender?"

"We had a vote for it. Three to two we accepted it."

Farangalia nodded, and seemed comforted by the dwarflord's words. "So you let her live, so another greater evil could be done in."

"Something like that. Now, you ready to continue with us?" Garthur offered a broad smile to the gnome woman.

She looked thoughtful for a moment, then stood. "As ready as I can be. The modern Reavers, they don't talk about any of that."

"It's for the best. Sometimes it's better to be remembered as heroes, rather than just the batch of bastards that came out on top."

"Are you lot ready? We still have another floor to clear," one could cut Vick's impatience with a knife.

"I'll tell you more about it later," the kindly dwarf patted Farangalia on the shoulder, and she smiled in return. Both moved to follow Vick up the creaking stairs.

When Alan turned to follow, the slender hand of the elf woman came to rest on his shoulder. "Wait a moment," she whispered the words to his ear.

He looked down to his shoulder, at the bloody hand print left there, then turned his gaze back to Daphne's. Those eyes of hers were haunting in a different way than the fox woman's had been. They were less entrancing and luring and more invasive and dominating. Yet there was a certain sadness, a constant sense of loss within them. The two stood there in silence for a moment while the others ascended to the final floor.

"I smell another woman about you," her words were edged with jealousy despite herself. "Tell me you didn't go off with yet another girl while I was getting my ass handed to me."

Alan smiled weakly "I ran into a fox woman." As if that could explain everything. "Why do you care?"

"I just do," Daphne lowered her gaze, her lashes shaded her eyes from view. "You didn't... do anything with her, did you?"

"It's a long story. We need to get to the oth-"

Alan's words were cut off by a sudden, intense kiss. His eyes widened as he pushed back on Daphne's shoulders. He could taste her, true, but upon those lips was also the taste of blood she'd been consuming in copious amounts. It wasn't altogether pleasant, and he sought to push her gently but firmly away.

He was surprised to see tears welling in her eyes. "Daphne?"

"Why is it that everyone seems to want you?" She sobbed, then buried her head against his chest. "I could live with your wife, she's a sweetheart, but why does everyone else have to get their filthy paws on you too?"

Her words confused Alan to no end, as did the sudden grasp of his shoulders, as she kissed him again. His arms settled loosely about her waist, uncertain of what to do. She pressed her full breasts against him, staining his leathers with blood. It was going to be awkward to explain if anyone asked.

When she finally stepped back, she touched his cheek. "I love you, Alan Tinsley, and I would see you reunited with your wife. But know that if anyone else tries to take you away, I'll rip them apart with my own hands."

Alan frowned at the words. Oh he knew she was fond of him, but this was the first time she'd said so in so many words. "Why, Daphne? You know... I was one of the two that voted to just kill you."

She didn't even flinch, she simply nodded "I know. And... and that's why. You would end my suffering if you could." She looked away for a moment, then spoke in measured tones, "If I ever have to watch the sun rise again, I would do it with you at my side, Alan."

"You're not making any sense, why would you bargain for your life if you wanted to die?"

"Because I can't just lay down and take it, Alan. I can't just give up, but at the same time, do you know how hard it is to be one of my kind? An elf who will never dance under the sun again? Who cannot go into the wilds without being shunned by the beasts of the woods? Who can't truly enjoy the taste and effects of wine?"

"Yet you fight to continue on."

"I have to, Alan." She toyed with his hair as she spoke, "It's in my nature. But the day will come when the end catches up, and I want you to be with me then."

Alan sighed heavily. He didn't have any idea, but now her sadness made more sense. "I will be there Daphne, you've been... a friend these years."

She leaned up to kiss him once more, and it was a lingering, almost tender kiss. His arms slipped about her cool frame, and she leaned in against his chest. Her hands rested on his shoulders, gentler than the fox woman from earlier. "Thank you," she whispered against his lips. Then, she stepped back.

Alan offered a weak smile, then wiped at his mouth to clear the blood from his own lips. "Blech. It's like kissing everyone you've fed from tonight."

The elven woman giggled, then stepped toward the stairs. There was a spring in her step that hadn't been there before, and he moved to follow her. His gaze drifted along those long legs, then over the curve of her rear. He did have to admit, she was damn attractive.

"How about Vick, hmm?" He asked jokingly, "He voted to kill you too..."

"I know. Why do you think I keep his household so well?" There was laughter in her voice again. She sounded almost normal.

"Oh, do you love him as well?" He had to poke at it, if only to distract himself from the carnage that would no doubt come on the floor above.

"Phht, that lardass? Come on, give me some credit for taste." She cast a look over her shoulder, then those full lips broadened into a toothy grin.

Alan shook his head, then swatted the curve of her ass with an open palm. She took off up the stairs with a laugh, and he simply followed.

It had been a strange few days, but they were almost done. His Elizabeth was so close he could feel it. He swore to himself then that when they did recover her, he'd lock himself away with her for a long while, and forget any other woman in the world existed.

His gaze drifted back to the leather clad rear end of the elven woman above him on the stairs. Until then, he'd just have to enjoy the view.

12