All Comments on 'Second Best'

by Just Plain Bob

Sort by:
  • 130 Comments
Phxray54Phxray54over 13 years ago
Hope springs eternal.

Thank you for sharing your talent.

MendonFishersMendonFishersover 13 years ago
A different twist

Hi JPB,

Are you mellowing? This is the first story you've done that had a happy ending (unless you belong to the revenge crowd) that I can remember in a long time.

I enjoyed it very much.

Mendon

BillPorterBillPorterover 13 years ago
Another wimp !!

He said that he could not live with her, after catching her with her other love,then invites her to his flat,then allows her back into his bed. Same as all your other stories,the wimp allows her to come back and control his life.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 13 years ago
Like the ending But

It makes we wonder if everything is as Grace said. It makes we wonder if Rob can get over his thinking she might be doing something she shouldn't when she's late.

Nice story with a happy ending, especially considering the author.

Thanks for the hard work and I like the change in attitude, at least for this story.

Woodmanone

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Just when I get comfortable with your style.

You change it and try a new tact. Extremely well written and enjoyable story. Thanks!!!

bruce22bruce22over 13 years ago
Well written and enjoyable

but I have my doubts.... I would have offered to pay for a motel for one night... and then said good buy. But that is a lack of self-confidence on my part!

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 13 years ago
irrational ...absurd.... wretched...Just Plain AWFUL

A few years ago when the story was first published it was a piece of shit.... and now that it is 2011.... it is STILL a piece of shit.

There are some absurd laughable moments in this story with its pathetic dialogue and absurd plot developments. By the time we get the end of the story the reader's actually laughing out loud.

If this story was listed as humor or satire it would probably get a better reaction.

Take a look at one of the minor characters Hillary. After she and Rob have sex he calls a for week and she refuses to talk to him or see him eventually shrieking at him to leave her alone. Then when they met up at party a few months later she demands to know why he never called.

Why is it that every single woman in JPB's stories are just the most revolting disgusting lying mentally deranged twisted whores on the planet?

Then we get to the idea of marrying Grace. The decision to get married is bizarre and makes no sense at all . Rob knows Dale is her guy and has been for YEARS and YEARS. Yet one day he finds out from Grace that the marriage is over... But never finds out why???.

Not only that but Rob doesn't even bother to ask or find out before they get married.

So naturally THEY get married even though Rob has absolutely no idea what actually happened. Seriously... who the fucks thinks and operates this way?

And finally the scene were Grace tracks Rob down at the end of this wretched story the dialogue and conversation is incoherent. Robb says something ... Grace says something else and NEITHER piece of conversation is connected or rational.

It reads like two people riding a bus who are complete strangers and talking past each other. For example consider this part of the conversation between Grace and Rob

ROB says : Why talk? I wouldn't have believed anything you would have said."

"I've never lied to you Rob."

"Sure you have Grace. You lied to me for nine months. Not outright maybe, but what you were doing behind my back was a lie. A lie of omission rather than commission, but a lie none the less."

and what does Grace say:

"Even if you did feel that way you still should have talked to me instead of sneaking away."

HUH? Can someone please explain to me the what the hell that has to do with conversation?

Even if someone were to be the as pathetically stupid as Rob and believes such a pathetically idiotic story from his wife... The fact is that Grace intentionally hid... LIED.. to Rob for 9 months by not telling him about Dale's presence. She engaged in this long-term scheme which evolved for being partially intimate with another man.... Just to get back at Dale.

The fact that she is willing to do such stupid dangers actions and hide the whole thing from Rob is why this marriage is over.

AgenaAgenaover 13 years ago
Good Story

Good story-line and well written as usual.

hindsight2020hindsight2020over 13 years ago
2 stars

Maybe there is a page missing. All these doubts get resolved because she sneaks into bed?

PostScriptorPostScriptorover 13 years ago
Interesting notion,

That Grace would decide to actively pursue revenge after so many years.

It seems to me that a more likely scenario would be, that she would simply be indifferent to Dale, which might be sufficient revenge anyway — leaving the guy wondering what might have been. But from personal experience, in the contented relationship that I've been in, former girlfriends simply held no interest. And I figured that their knowing that I was happy, and felt like I'd 'traded-up' was enough.

Of course, that wouldn't have made a story! HAHAHA!

But Harry — vis your observations, especially regarding Hillary: you expect women to be any more rational about love and sex than men? lol.

BoringOldGuyBoringOldGuyover 13 years ago
Well written change in style

JPB, this is definitely one of your better stories. I like the change in attitude as opposed to most of your previous stories.

Although you will probably draw criticism for doing so, I believe you did well in leaving the reader to draw their own conclusions about Grace's truthfulness and Rob's doubts. Too many authors try too hard to close their stories to poor effect.

victoriangentvictoriangentover 13 years ago
Not enough for me

How could I be sure that she was not the aggressor seeking a restart of the relationship and was rejected by Dale? Was she really seeking revenge or was she trying to restart the fire? Did Dale give her the final rejection and she had no choice but to come back to her Second Best? I could not live the rest of my life married to someone who selected me as an alternative. After Dale's reappearance at the work site and her not informing Rob coupled with her being his constant companion would cloud my mind with too many questions and doubts. I feel his best bet would be to check and make sure she had a round trip ticket. There are two quotes in the "Facts of Life" that are applicable here. "It is impossible to change the character of another" and "You are responsible for your own happiness".

Good story Bob and good writing, thanks.

2ndThoughts2ndThoughtsover 13 years ago
Yes - 2nd Best

First, like always you write with provocation, intrigue, making us guess and when we think we know where you are going you twist and then come back and stick it to us. Oh well, you're having fun and so am I, your stories are always a good read.

Secondly, the letter Rob left her correctly summed up their entire lives. He was in love with her since the fourth grade and how he dealt with being second, then believing he was happily married for all those years could only have led to unimaginable hurt when he watched her conduct!

Her story about the how's and why's - well, he had to know he was second again and if only to her deciding on what she was going to do and why, without sharing with him. An honest, loving woman would not indulge in this so called revenge, period - just wouldn't happen! Rob, explaining his concerns about her conduct (her kissing, holding hands, making out) would make any future with her difficult to not-at-all because his doubts are a psychological fact with regard to human nature meaning, they really wouldn't have a future with any trust or depth so....

Do I think she did anything with Dale - most likely, if even only after Rob left her and then she would have realized that while Rob was the best bet, both as a husband and lover, she needed to try and get him back - Again!

Good story - Thanks!

shaman43shaman43over 13 years ago
Like the romance

Well JPB I like that you have a female character that does not turn into a gang bang slut. You have a way with words and your syntax really flows. Your stories are always a great read although the plot sometimes is not want I would like. I am a great romantic and believer in redemption. Thanks for this one.

MelloYellowMelloYellowover 13 years ago
My two cents

Whether Grace is lying or not, she is incredibly self centered and totally insensitive to the feelings of her husband. She lied (by omission) to get what she wanted. Never gave a thought about husband would feel when (not if) he found about her games with Dale. Even at the end, after seeing how she hurt husband she is unapologetic and doesn't see she did anything wrong. good story, but burn the bitch.

grogers7grogers7over 13 years ago
You got this one right

Doubts. Doubts are cruel but usual abuse. It is very hard to let them go; takes years, and even then they can creep back into your head, heart and soul. Working to spare your partner doubt is a loving act that demonstrates an understanding of human nature. Congrats on setting up the climax and allowing the denouement to finish in the readers' minds.

NeuroBillNeuroBillover 13 years ago
A good character is only human

I've been reading you, JPB, since I found this site and mostly enjoyed your obvious hard work (and I did find this story more "true" to feelings than some others of yours). Thanks for this one, but I want to use this note to explain why I particularly enjoyed this story and to rant against the general criticism of "wimp".

Behavior is not logical. People do not get from A to D by traversing B and C, at least not real people. Many individuals do not even take the same unpredictable path as they go from A to D two days in a row. The same person, does not always follow the same path. For the protagonist, Rob, in this story to end with feeling right with distrust is a tribute to sophisticated story-telling and the difficulty of portraying a character with "real-life" experience. (Good for you, JPB.) There is no way for Rob to know Grace's mind. He has only his and her history, her behavior, her words AND his beliefs as a result of all of those factors. Again, these factors are not just story-telling but have a reverberation in any reader from their own lives and experience, which they use to paint over the images from the story. The best stories are those whose reflection does not contradict experience, is minimally inconsistent with one's own ideas or take us someplace we have never experienced!

To accuse a character like Rob of being a wimp means that accuser is fixed in time and has yet to develop from his/her own experiences. As we all know, shit happens and we go on. How one goes on is unpredictable. Presumably a real person wants to satisfy him/herself in any way rather than live with dissatisfaction. A great storyteller plays on these developments, so that the critique of wimp in cases like this story is useless. They only speak of the critic's ideas, not the storyteller's story.

Good for you, JPB. This writing plays on those (and more) aspects of sophisticated and believable relationships and the quandries that always develop.

MikelGMikelGover 13 years ago
Feelings

The only reason you get back at someone is because of raw emotions, in this case hurt feelings 15 years after the fact!

If you love your husband, you trust and value your husband feelings, her excuse of leaving him out of the " revenge" does not make any rational sense at all.

If my wife was petting with her former fiance, regardless of the rational, she would be history for the reason I gave above! Lack of trust in the marriage.

bigguy323bigguy323over 13 years ago
Borderline. I love JPB's writing. Sometimes I have problem with his storylines, but never with the quality of his wordsmithing.

It's just possible she's telling the truth. And, if not, he can watch her carefully for any signs of sluthood.

It would seem he's deeply in love with the woman and if I were him I, too, would give her a chance based on what he KNOWS. Of course, if I were the trusting hubby, I would have gone to great lengths to absolutely find out if she was spreading for the dick.

Once I knew, I would have arranged for the transfer and given her the choice: Dump the dick and come with me or it's divorce city.

Not bad and I'm glad I read the story.

jasonnhjasonnhover 13 years ago
Interesting story

This is a good read. The aspect of emotional revenge as delivered is probably something a woman would decide to do.

<br><br>

The funny thing is that I believe Grace.....but I don't like her and don't feel she is worthy of forgiveness.

<br><br>

Grace is a VERY self centered person. Rob is actually a fairly decent male lead who is head over heels over Grace but also doesn't want to be abused by her. Although I don't have a problem with him leaving her, he wimps out by running away. Grace doesn't ignore her husbands feelings about her revenge. Instead she fully anticipates them and works to circumvent them. NOTHING is going to stand in the way of her revenge or the methods she plans to use to achieve it. And in the end she isn't the least bit regretful. She doesn't feel guilty because in her mind she didn't do anything to emotionally connect with Dale. All the kissing and feeling up was just a "technique" to her revenge so it was OK. She doesn't apologize for what she did, just says it was nothing to be concerned about. While I agree with Rob that I might have doubts about her fidelity, that is not the biggest problem. He is married to a person who feels the end justifies the means and is willing to run over anyone she has to, including her husband, to get what she wants. You can't trust her to be on your side like a wife should be for a husband. You will always wonder if she has a secret agenda. She has proved that she is capable of having one and carrying it out without regard to cost. She is not worthwhile hanging on to.

<br><br>

The good thing was that the story developed the characters well and was consistent. Grace was always selfish and Rob was a bit of a puppy dog. Some guys like to be lead around on a leash. Go figure.

OldHidekiOldHidekiover 13 years ago
There's a lot of history.

And it's a hard story to swallow. If I had been Grace, I would have told, and let him help in the revenge. That could have been fun for both of them. Instead, he has to wonder what she is doing. If the marriage is not broken, it is very damaged, and Grace is going to have a

LOT of making up to do.

mike2710mike2710over 13 years ago
Thanks

You did good JPB, Thanks

Cobbler1023Cobbler1023over 13 years ago
Well crafted story, but...

This is a very well crafted story. The plot flows smoothly--with only the one hiccup when Hillery tells Rob to come talk to him and find the dirt about Grace and never does. The characters are BY AND LARGE believable, but that's where I have the problems.

The story only works for me if I take two huge leaps of faith. First, Grace and Rob have a humongous blow-up in their Junior year, but shortly there Grace seems to say ally-ally-oxen-free and when Rob jumps, we're off again. Seems to me that after all that had been said and done, getting back together after that would have been MUCH harder.

Then--as has been well documented--Rob seems to be able to jump on Grace's explanation and reassurance at the end, even though the real damage of infidelity has been done: a breach of trust. The fact that she did not commit adultery and Rob accepts that does not ameliorate the serious breach of trust.

Clearly, Grace is an internalizing person; she is not willing to be open with anyone about what she is thinking or feeling. The problem is that there was no set up for Rob's awareness and acceptance of that character flaw. She merely claims that nothing happened, Rob believes it, and immediately things appear back to normal. That is a huge leap for me.

I like Grace and believe Grace, but don't think there relationship was worth the risk. Let her go and move on. Should have done that in 11th Grade, but better late than never.

The Cobbler

librarian_jimlibrarian_jimover 13 years ago
Patty Ann, Brad and ...?

I'm surprised none of the other hard core JPB fans here have mentioned the plot similarity with another of my favorites. I'm not sure which version I like better, maybe I'll reread Patty ann, Brand and Me and try to decide...

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 13 years ago
I disagree regarding her lies.

Grace lied directly, not by omission. Don't forget she said she was out with her girlfriends yet she was with Dale. That, my friends, is a direct lie. I don't care what silly story she made up about revenge on Dale -- which does not pass the smell test, by the way. She secretly went to meet him and intimately kissed and petted with him. All inappropriate for a married women. And the ending is not really an ending -- we are left hanging. Personally, I would file and cut my losses.

Blue88Blue88over 13 years ago
Good Stuff

Considering some of the truly awful stuff that has been appearing on Lit in this genre, this tale is like a breath of fresh air. JPB has always been one of my "guilty" pleasures. Thank goodness for his talent and his willingness to share it. Five star.

juderboyjuderboyover 13 years ago
Much to do about nothing

People go on and on about every bit and piece of these stories. They are just that, stories. What really needs to be talked about is the talent that went into writing it. JPB is damn good, not doubt about it. I think he tends to have a forgiving nature to his stories, and that sometimes rubs me the wrong way. But the stories always make since, are well done, and worth the time reading them.

Oh ya, Rob should have dumbed the lying bitch!!!!!!

obtusemanobtusemanover 13 years ago
You always keep me guessing as to what kind of story you're going to give us, and for that, I'll keep reading; but

you can't make me like them all. I dislike the cuck stories and while this one may stop short, it doesn't ring true. He broke the bloke's nose twice when he was not married, but after an assumed affair, he slinks off like a dog with his tail between his legs after a bigger dog has taken his bone. He accepts the wife's version of teaching his nemesis a lesson by making out with him and leaving him with blue balls. Really? Her ultimate revenge is to hire a hooker to satisfy him after commenting about the size of his penis. Wow, that hurts! Your characters seem to feel infidelity is not infidelity if it's not consumated. I can see a cheater rationalizing that way, but not the wronged party. Well, at least the husband wasn't sporting a woody while spying on his cheating wife!

CW_addicted_readerCW_addicted_readerover 13 years ago
She Lied

I could not believe a word she said. Nine months of revenge. I do not mind any lady mad at me and want to make me feel bad by allowing me feel her up. I consider a reward and not a punishment. How could anyone believe this line of crap. Another question is, what will happen if Rob did not find out and left and how other punishment will Dale receive. A trip to motel room, may be. Big time punishment. How long will it the punishment will continue before it came to an end. Ladies, please punish me..... Give me a break.

bobby9909bobby9909over 13 years ago
Unfinished

I agree the plot was good, and the characters were developed fairly well. But it's infinished. There is no resolution... She has done him this way before, only to dump on him. And no, her actions with Dale do NOT pass the husband test. Her actions, irregardless of motive (if you can believe her), were wrong. This cys for another chapter.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 13 years ago
Well done, JPB

Excellent story. Did she or didn't she? I guess I'd lean towards her story being true, simply because she quit her job and moved to Baltimore (nice tribute to Papa Toad) - nobody would do that unless they really wanted to be with their husband.

RHinSCRHinSCover 13 years ago
He's a fuckin' wimp

Thats for you NeuroBill. This was a tale of two idiots. As Harry pointed out, an older one. He has broken Dales nose twice before. He could not do it while he was married? He watches them make out for months? Fuckin' wimp. Even my wife says so. She did fuck around behind his back there is no way to get around that. Rob had brains when he was younger concerning this broad, why did he loose them? When Rob wakes up in the morning it is not going to feel so right anymore. You know...when the doubts start again. It is the doubt that will kill whats left shortly. He will never forget.

StangStar06StangStar06over 13 years ago
Great job!

You're one of a kind Bob. At alternate times you can be both, my hero and the writer that got me started, and the writer whose work frustrates me to no end. In this case, I loved it. It wasn't overly dramatic or theatrical, it was just an enjoyable easy read, that still made me wonder all the way to the end, whether or not to believe her.

On the romantic side I really want to believe she's telling the truth. My more practical side says he's right, she destroyed the trust in their marriage, so there's really nothing left. Like some of your best this story is left with a vague ending that lets each reader come up with his or her own version for what happens next. There have been a couple of times when I was so upset with your endings that I'd write you and ask if I could finish them. That story from last summer about the woman at the drive in still posses me off. But in this case. I really liked the story and the ending at least to me....fits. Great job!!!!!

bartolobartoloover 13 years ago
The story is very good however ...............................

in my mind, I wonder what her actions in fact were in seeing him in various places in town so often with no apparent sex occurred, at least when her husband was watching. She says she's getting revenge on Dale, but her husband isn't convinced. Well, Just Plain Bob, it's appears that you need to write an "next" chapter on this story so that you don't keep your readers hanging. Continue the story making it clear precisely what her intentions were for seeing Dale so many times.

looking4itlooking4itover 13 years ago
What if

the roles were reversed, I really don't think she would have as understanding and forgiving and she is expecting him to be. Just my take on the character issue. Other than that i did enjoy reading the story, just not in favor of the entire plot.

Lewy123Lewy123over 13 years ago
Hmmmm

I really don't know weather I believe her or not either.I think I do. However this story really needs another chapter and completion one way or the other.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 13 years ago
Wow, a different type of loving wife story

It would be hard to believe her story, but if he loved her as much as he said he did, then taking her back would be the only thing he could do.

Thanks for the good story

urban_legend555urban_legend555over 13 years ago
A well crafted story

Believable characters, an interesting plot and lots of what ifs and maybes to keep the pages turning.

MissouriUSAMissouriUSAover 13 years ago
I liked the story!

I liked the story but I wonder if she was telling the truth. Afterall, it took five weeks for her to show up in Baltimore after he had left the letter. How interested was she to find him really? If they stayed together, Rob would be competing against Dale for the rest of his life. This story reminded me of another of your stories from a few years ago called "The Hard Heads". The scenario was similar. I often wondered in that story if the wife was telling the whole truth about her boy friend. I have the same doubt here about whether the wife is telling the truth.

Like others who have posted comments here, I have always thought that your writing skills were as good as anyone else who posts stories on Lit. It is some of your story lines that I don't care for. Sometimes you tend to get awfully close to writing cuck and wimp husband stories ("not preferred"). Other times you right really good "Consequences are a bitch" type stories ("very much preferred").

In any event, thanks for your efforts. This story was enjoyable.

xtremeddxtremeddover 13 years ago
Talk about conflict...... emotional conflict.

JPB,

Thought I'd weigh in. Great story. To ponder his decision... add in the positive comments vs the burn the bitch, then I'd say you wrote it. I read it. I really liked it. Soooo.

I read it again (that is rare) Yup! Really liked it!

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

belknap026belknap026over 13 years ago
Great story, Bob.

No vengeance, no hatred, just what the very knowledgable Lit readers call a story about a wimp. I'm happy to see a happy (and an intelligent) ending to a story of yours. I'd almost given up on you, and you're really too good a writer to have to give up on. Thanks. Rich

db1044db1044about 13 years ago
MoveOn.Now (with appologies to the liberals at MoveOn.org)

Every time Grace was given a choice she chose Dale. Actions speak louder than words. Rob is a fool and needs to move on.

DWornockDWornockalmost 13 years ago
I don't know if this story should be 3, 4 or 5 stars

However, even though it is not plausible, I gave it 5 stars because it is very well written.

studebakerhawkstudebakerhawkalmost 13 years ago
'Tis sad but true,

We are so easily led when the little head does the thinking.

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
The thing I liked most about this story

is that it didn't have the woman automatically being a round heeled slut (Sorry Bob. You have a history there)

That said, I can sympathize with the other posters. Every single time, she picked Dale except once. That means a lot.

Still I am asking questions and I've read it a couple times. I really liked the story and thank you

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
SUUUUUCCCCKKKKKEEERRR

2nd best....not hardly......female payback?????Sounds good.....talk is not action....TK U MLJ LV NV

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 12 years ago
So kissing and get felt up isn't cheating

I like the story JPB, but she still cheated and he wimped out

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
SOMETIMES 2ND BEST IS OK

MR EGO whose AKA is us all, should realize by now, no one can be best at everything including romance and relationships, This why we all try and do the best we are able and live with it. TK U MLJ LV NV

tiredandoldtiredandoldover 11 years ago
Congratulations, sorta

JPB almost finished a story.

monkcalmmonkcalmabout 11 years ago
The victim hates himself?

wow somebody just shoot this poor fucker cause he was played, the way its laid out no way a sane man takes her back JPB your ending does not match the plot. I call cheat it just doesn't make sense the "oh I love you it was my master plan"- k, but he just says sure i believe you because i have a penis and you have a cunt so you must be telling the truth, no cop alive would believe that shit excuses, and he is written as a smart insightful character-- cope out cheat ending

NicoleAlldredgeNicoleAlldredgealmost 11 years ago
The revenge just didn't ring true to me.

I understand that according to your writing the wife did not engage in sexual acts other than maybe a bit of light to heavy petting. However, the so called act of revenge you chose seemed rather ridiculous.The idea that getting him hot and worked up then going home so he would have blue balls for the night just seems childish. Dale could and most likely would simply go home and masturbate to relieve the pent up excitement completely negating the problem.

Thus your so called idea of revenge seemed more at home in a Nancy Drew mystery novel for young teens, rather than in a piece of adult erotica. Giving the revenge concept a bit more thought and complexity would have increased the story's quality and thus its rating.

hopelessly_otakuhopelessly_otakuover 10 years ago
a tale of a stupid bitch and a dickless weenie

He allowed her to use him all those times and she stomped on his heart. Even then he forgives her. And listen to that stupid bitch's idea of revenge! Let him seduce, kiss and pet a married woman and then leave him high and dry, if he was as big a player as that, wouldn't he have had a few other women on the side to get his rocks off. All she did was get him hot and excited enough that he had mind blowing sex with someone else, what a revenge. And y the hell did she need that revenge in the first place. Shouldn't she be grateful that she now had a better man in her life thanks to him. Why would it bother her that he cheated on him if she now had such a wonderful life. It could be that she really still wanted dale and was mad that he'd allowed them to break up. The other reason could be that she had a huge superiority complex" hoe dare he cheat on me, I'll show him" coz again, if she was happy now, it shouldnt have mattered

FD45FD45over 10 years ago
It is interesting

Nothing is said about the writing and everything is being said about the characters.

I have to admit, rereading this, I wanted to personally punch this idiot in the face when he invited her into his new apartment. Every single word he said for FOUR FUCKING PAGES was undone. He was a good guy, but he wasn't allowing anyone to take advantage of him or give him pity fucks...until he TOTALLY wimped out with his wife in the last act.

I agree with everything jasonh said about this bitch. SHE had to have revenge. SHE needed to 'make out with this guy'. SHE needed to lead him on.

Never mind the pain she caused her husband. She seems absolutely remorseless. "I am telling you an incredibly far fetched tale of revenge and you are a schmoe if you don't believe every word out of my previously lying mouth."

God she's dislikable. Just the attitude would be enough for me to dump her.

and yet, GAHORT, he TAKES her back. Because pussy fixes everything. It's better than duct tape.

sugnasugnaover 10 years ago
What about her character?

What kind of woman takes that kind of revenge on an old boyfriend without letting her husband know what is going on? She had gotten married and should have gotten over the need for revenge or taken revenge at the time the incident occurred. She is a strange sick woman. The husband was better off without her. If they were actually sick and stupid enough to chose a life without kids - they are both fucked up. What the hell is the point to getting married if you don't have kids? You might as well just live together and be fuck buddies until one of you eventually cheats on the other. Without growth, the relationship will wither and die.

carvohicarvohiover 10 years ago
Good story...

I like to read the comments. They all seem to ring true. If the thing were boring or too well packed, or not thoughtful then no one would leave a remark. Your stories are usually easy on the mind, easy to read, and I never leave dissatisfied except in the desire to have a few more pages.

OverthefallsOverthefallsabout 10 years ago
Not a bad story

Just a horrible ending. I simply can't believe, given his long term experience with her, that he would believe a word that came out of her mouth when she talked about Dale.

And in most people's book "making out" with him would have been cheating. No, she cheated, he busted her and should have never accepted her back. Good read, but bad ending.

tazz317tazz317almost 10 years ago
HOW CAN ONE DETERMINE IF THEY ARE 2ND, 1ST OR ?????

the list may be long and unknown, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
what is cheating?

haivng lunches with another man,making out, touching another mans dick, letting him touch your tits and pussy seems like it would qualify as cheating....

Tootight1Tootight1over 9 years ago
5*

for able scenario, and completion. everyone is different, and when you throw love into the equation, you'll get an equal amount of reactions. liked the story base, seemed real. I couldn't predict the ending, that's a plus, although its really not the ending, but the beginning. ill bet she wants to have kids now, just to cement him into her.

mike9698mike9698over 9 years ago
idiot

why on earth would that dumbass marry her in the first place.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Great story, flawed character

I liked the story. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out my issue, but Grace never saw him as an emotional being. She treated him like an inanimate distraction to be used when Dale was gone, and that behavior never changed. Even at the very end, she did nothing to apologize or lessen his pain, but very directly wanted things to return to the way they were. This is telegraphed on the 1st page when she says "What happened to us Robbie? We used to be such good friends." This after her boyfriend tried to start two separate fights with Robbie, all following her leaving him high and dry without even a phone call. She actually has to ask?

seekerazseekerazover 9 years ago
Good grief...

Are all of JPB's characters wimps and cucks? Does ole Bob think that the only cheating is dipping the wick? 6 months of deception excused because she was getting revenge. 6 months of BETRAYAL overlooked because her heart was pure?

I need to learn to remember that JPB's stories are not for me. Others may love them but I don't.

Shame on me for forgetting this basic truth. JPB's characters have none.

The words are all in the right place and used properly. The storylines simply suck.

Pappy7Pappy7about 9 years ago
The deception

was just a continuation of their entire life together. She cheated on him the first time she didn't tell him Dale was back. I can't remember if I have commented on this story before but after another read I felt moved to comment. Touching, kissing, going out together in public. She humiliated her husband much more than she humiliated Dale, so yeah, hubby was second choice and second best again. When she does it again maybe he will finally realize her game, but if Bob is writing it he will take her back again.

Tootight1Tootight1almost 9 years ago
2nd read

I think that, because of the story she gave, and given the propensity for women to come up with these types of ideas, I believe her. who else would come up with a story like that? it's too crazy to be false.

sugnasugnaalmost 9 years ago
Games

Who needs to spend time with someone who plays games? Who needs the stupidity and the stress? After all that time, they hadn't grown up? No kids? What they fuck? what was the point? If you don't start a family you are just roommate fuck buddies and your little world will eventually cave in on you and bury you alive. Time to grow up.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Good story but she's a liar

Whether it was 9 months or one month, she's lying. But forget that. She flat out tells him he was her second choice. Knowing that was the truth why would he believe anything else she said? She was cheating. Probably in the washroom at work. But taking her back was the height of stupidity.

FD45FD45almost 9 years ago
That's a good point

She took her ersatz lover to THEIR PERSONAL HANG OUT...WITH CO-WORKERS!

What they must think of him? My god...and she never addresses this point.

KarenEKarenEalmost 9 years ago
Blah

There was never a satisfactory explanation for her not telling him that Dale was back.

As soon as she came home from the first day that Dale was back and didn't say anything she was effectively cheating.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzaralmost 9 years ago
Absurd

I cannot believe the author actually wrote this stuff. How can any person be as gullible and just plain dumb as this guy. Bad story.

BigK10BigK10almost 9 years ago
If you can't do it in front of your spouse...

...then it's cheating! It's a simple test, and she FAILED it. And she lied...and lied...and lied...and lied... Even *IF* (and that's a big if) she told the truth when she explained herself, it was still lying and cheating--REPEATEDLY! He needed to ask her if she like to watch as he kissed, felt up, and groped Hillary and/or Rita.

Even if he took her back, she needed a wake up call. She has had little or no respect for him until she suddenly realized that her "safety net" was gone. He's totally a pussy whipped WIMP! I just lost all respect for him, too....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
What?

Nothing happened? Except extended necking and petting. For any sensible person, your wife does that and she's out the door.

Tootight1Tootight1almost 9 years ago
good story

there seems to some things that were never said, and questions in readers minds. according to the story, he had loved her since 8th grade, do you think she didn't know that. she never mislead him in their entire history, according to the story. I think its a pretty straight up story, and I liked it. I've seen guys go spastic, if a guy looks at his girl friend, or wife. they are out there. degrees are set by the individual. some are deal breakers, some are not. can you imagine what the world would be like if we were all the same?

AleksPAleksPover 8 years ago
One of the worst I've read...

Agree with the statement... If you can't do it in front of your spouse then it's cheating...

She lied, repeatedly, mislead, deceived... How is French kissing and holding hands and having dinners for nearly a year not cheating. If my gf or future wife ever as much as touches another in inappropriate sexual way, she's done. That's cheating... Ask how many men or women would be ok with their second half doing that... The answer should tell you all you need to know....

JustPlainBob, i can only say, this story might be fine but cuckold section

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Oh HELL NO!

Damn! There's no doubt JPB can write a good story. The the conclusion to this one just plain pisses me off. How gullible can Rob be? He was correct in the first place. Like the title says - he was second best. All his life. Grace told him and showed him by her actions. He wasn't her first choice. She settled for him when Dale dumped her. That alone should have sent up some warning flags in his mind. Why did Dale dump her after all those years together? And when Grace finally stabs Rob in the back with her lies, he still lets her back into his life? I don't think it takes months and months of lying and deception to get her "revenge". She's trying to get Dale back. She failed and now wants to crawl back to her "safe second choice" man and have him take her back. I don't think so. Once again, a good story ruined by a horrible ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Good Story

In spite of the negative comments, it appears from what is written in the story, Rob was never a cuckhold but became a pawn in a revenge by his wife to a former boyfriend. There are many changes in romantic dynamics as we go beyond the teen years and that is usually called maturity. I remember so many of mine and laugh at all of them. That being said, ignore the comments that reflect that understanding. This was a good story and Rob seemed to have moved up in his life.

I enjoy good fiction!

Tiny Tim

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
4*

He should have kicked her ass out for lieing. He was a wimp the way he did it.

MCPO Jim

Texas_Air_ForceTexas_Air_Forcealmost 8 years ago
2*, too much deception

She lied to please and fit HER plans and ambitions, and he is supposed to roll over and take it? HELL NO! Now, if you want to rewrite it to where he gets back with his old slut girlfriend for several weeks of tongue-fucking makeout sessions and heavy rubbing, with her (the wife) not knowing about it, then telling her that they should stay together, that would be a believable story. Of course, we all KNOW the wife would never go for that! Sounds like FTDS needs to rewrite this one!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Another...

Another unfinished story.

Oh, and yes,she is a cheater.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Easy to solve.

Make her give him all her medical records. If she's on the pill she's history.

But its enough that she is so cold and calculating about the affair. Their entire relationship seems to have been one sided, with all the passion on his side and a sort of resignation that she can't have Dale on her side.

And what was so special about her breakup with Dale that she just couldn't talk about it, with her husband? Definitely a second-rate work. But thanks for trying.

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 7 years ago
She fucked him around several times, often with cruelty. Before marriage.

Why should he believe her now? I don't know what I would do in that situation but he should watch her like a hawk (and that ain't no way for a marriage to be). And he should beat the hell out of Dale if he ever meets him again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

Cuck story. Figured it was going to turn out something like this. You made the guy out to be a fool.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
there is a lot of truth in this one

many of boyfriends/husbands have been in this situation. Sometimes they are aware of background wife's "friends" and others have not a clue. Grace says she is telling the truth. But as one female friend told me years ago. LIE LIE LIE to your spouse... I am guessing if you have not lived a relationship this story make no sense to you.. 4

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Duh

Total crap of a story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Sorry. Must Regurgitate.

If dumbass had taken time stamped photos and videos of Dale and Grace at lunch everyday and on his Monday night bowling nights and her Wednesday nights, he could have gone into any divorce court in the land and got a divorce. She had been spending time with Dale for 9 months, keeping secrets from her husband. These clandestine meetings could have gone on indefinitely had her husband not caught her. She even admitted to allowing him privileges that were promised only to her husband. Despite her protests, she had, in fact, been cheating her husband for nine months. And the sad part was she would never understand that that was what she was doing. While she was "getting revenge" on Dale, Dale was cuckolding her husband. The real loser in all of this certainly wasn't Dale. It was Grace's husband. He will soon be swallowing a bullet.

Owen4230Owen4230over 6 years ago
Vasectomy

Why do guys have a vasectomy if you're not building for the next generation why bust your ass for an early heart attack or divorce where you get raped. I'll always believe that anyone who has one before kids or a medical reason is slightly less because of the biological urge. Good story otherwise. I keep reading because you are a bloody good writer. Owen

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
no sense or nonsense

Struck me as strange. Not that they decided for each to have night out with friends but not spouses, but that they chose two separate nights.

Their way separates them two nights a week.

Pretty easy to arrange night out on same night.

Been there, done that...some conversation, agreement and planning.

As I wrote their way just struck me as strange.

Stranger was her idea of revenge...not sure what she accomplished other than sewing doubt - that will never go away - and costing her their marriage...for at least a year

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
What Bull Shit!

There's NO F**KING WAY that I'd let her back into my life. She hid the so called "Payback" (a lie by omission is still a lie) for 9 months from him. I would of made sure I was divorced from her, so that she wouldn't come looking for me later on.

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
THINGS THAT FEEL SO GOOD IN THE DAY

have a tendency to go bump in the night. TK U MLJ LV NV

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Believe?

I want to believe her, but can I really trust her? I think he will never be completely sure. A really good story that makes you wonder. What would l do? What would I believe? Compare this to the crap that passes for stories in LW recently. There are thousands of stories in the archives. Pick your tag and dive in.

johnadpjohnadpover 5 years ago
Great Story That Shows From Another Angle Why BTB/Reveng Is As Destructive To Perpetrator As Victim

Ok, Dale 15 years ago had kind of screwed her over. I won't even blame him that much as they got together as kids and his never having dated others he had to be curious. But let's leave that aside and assume he was truly a bastard. Here she is married 15 years, but still feels the need for revenge. Why? The same is true of all those stories where the wife cheats and besides the husband leaving her he spends so much time to seek revenge on her, that along the way he destroys a bunch of innocents including the children, her family, his family, their friends, and HIMSELF.

There are times when people go out of their way to fuck with you that fighting back is warranted. Most times as the saying goes when you plot revenge dig two graves. In this story she had won, married a good guy and had a good marriage. Why does it matter that some dickhead hurt her 15 years ago. For that for months she hurt her husband, had secret plans away from him and almost caused the destruction of her marriage and her happiness. For what? So she can teach a dickhead from the past what being lead on means?

It's a great story for BTB lovers on how destructive it is most of the time and how unwarranted.

PowersworderPowersworderover 5 years ago

Grace's idea of revenge was incredibly lame and extremely high risk. The fact was that almost every "fake" date she went on failed the husband test, putting her marriage at great jeopardy, as she eventually discovered.

I don't get why she didn't just tell Rob what happened and ask for his help getting revenge. There was no love lost between Rob and Dale, so it would have been a great husband and wife bonding experience screwing that dickhead's life over.

It was a great story to show how important it is to plan your revenge properly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Imagine how mentally ill you would need to be to consider your wife dating and making out with a guy something inconsequential that could just be skipped over, like the JPB fans. How terrible it would be to live your life trying to hide that mental deformity from the people close to you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I don't believe it at all

Bob, you are a very good writer, and this story is well-written. But I do not find this situation believable. Romantic love rarely conquers all. People never actually change their basic nature - they usually become more concentrated as they age and mature. Grace, in real life, would never become trustworthy - not that is necessary - lack of trust in marriage is legion. But given that the premise of this story is "true love prevails" and given that is the basis of their continued relationship, ""This feels right. This just feels so right" and I drifted off to sleep." just seems false.

But thank you very much for the good free read. It is always much appreciated.

HikingThruHikingThruover 5 years ago
Second choice?

He is willing to accept he was and still is forever her second choice? Her words. That feels far worse than second best. And the obvious rebuttal for Rob, in my mind, would be "I'm still second choice, because you cared more about revenge on Dale than with being honest with me. You spent weeks or months kissing and being felt up by Dale, behind my back. If you were now happier with me, then fucking up Dale's head would not have mattered at all to you. Your revenge could have been living well with me for 15 years."

DiscoveringUtopiaDiscoveringUtopiaover 5 years ago
Where there's smoke...

there's fire.

I don't believe her story for a second.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

It's a shame that such a talented writer writes such ridiculous horseshit.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Cuck + never finishes story - AGAIN

Another cuck story that's unfinished to boot.

-3 stars.

TAKING A CHEATER BACK UNDER SUCH CIRCUMSTANCES IS NOT NOBLE, LOVING OR RESPECTABLE. Wake up.

ThematchthatBurnsThematchthatBurnsabout 5 years ago
What?

You must be stupid! Don't believe a word of it! Betrayal by the sin of omission, the sexual actions say it all.

Divorce, lawyer acting against her company, and yet another broken nose!

Public announcement of their actions, family first, then Internet.

Burn them both!

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooteralmost 5 years ago
Great story!

I love the romance, the fire, the passion, and the compassion. Great story line!

Okay, it needs to be tightened up. She should have told him what she was doing, he could have helped and the trust and love between them would have strengthened, but that would have ruined the ending. You, as an author were stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I think you made the right decision.

I like that you leave a bit of the ending to our imagination. Those who disagree have none.

The naysayer hard-core BTB anonymous commenters must have little tiny...

texxmantexxmanover 4 years ago
Revenge???

So she gets her revenge by making out with Dale and letting him feel her up and rubbing his dick for six months? WTF! Not a good explanation.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust Plain Bob@Just Plain Bob
9051 Followers
Just a Dirty Old Man (of course I have been one since I was thirteen)who likes to write about the things that I've seen and been exposed to in my life. There is a little bit of me in almost all of my stories and in some of them there is quite a lot. I leave it to the reader ...

story TAGS