Secret Agent Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Everyone ate their pie, almost in a race to see who would finish first. Mary brought out a box of See's Candies chocolates and passed it around the room. "I haven't had this much fun in a while," she said, taking a piece before passing it around once again. "How are things at school, Bill?"

"Fine, thank you. I really enjoy what I'm studying and hope to have something lined up in a couple of years."

"That's great. Are you looking for something local?"

"Yes, I'm talking with the supervisor at Hyperion about a position there. Can't get any more local than that."

"What's Hyperion?" asked the grandmother.

"It's," began Bill, "the waste water treatment plant by the airport. It's a good city job and nearby. It's just a little stinky." He laughed.

"Stinky? It's downright smelly," said Sandra.

"The smell of success. It's a good job and secure."

"Well, good for you, Bill. I'm glad to see that you have your sights on something solid." Jim gave him a high-five.

"Want to play Monopoly? We've got a couple of boards."

"That would be fun, sure. Let me help you clear the dishes, first." Bill stood up and began to gather the dishes together.

"I'll get that," said Sandra, taking them from him and heading into the kitchen. He looked around the room and picket up the rest of the dishes and then going to the kitchen.

"I said I'll get them." She took the second set of dishes from him and put them into the dishwasher, closed the door and turned it on. "There we go, all done."

Bill kissed her after looking around to see they were alone. "I love you," he said, kissing her again. "We're going to graduate in a couple of years; have you thought of where you're going to go?"

"Not yet. I want to stay local with you. Maybe teaching, I don't know. I've been taking it a day at a time."

He tickled her under her arms and down her sides. "Take this a day at a time," he said, laughing.

"Hey! Are you two going to play or not?" asked her grandfather, standing in the doorway.

"All right, Grandfather. We'll be there in a minute." Sandra straightened her clothes and walked into the living room.

*****

Thanksgiving that year was at the Fullertons' house with a turkey and a ham. Jim had gone to Marie Callender's for pies, making sure that he got his favorite blueberry pie. He wondered when Bill was going to 'pop the question'. While he liked the idea of the two being a couple, he didn't want them to marry too soon, having a lot of growing up to do.

The Lions-Packers game was on, the score tied going into the fourth quarter but he was more interested in getting another piece of pie. There was something about a good piece of pie that made him happy.

Father Clemens had spoken to him in confidence, saying that he was going to transfer to San Francisco and suggested that he think about applying for the principal's position at the school and as much as Jim liked teaching, becoming principal would allow him to put some ideas he had in place.

When the game was over and everyone was having some more food, he thought about bringing up the subject but then decided to wait and see if he actually could get it. He took a roll and some turkey and made a sandwich, spreading the mayonnaise around and then took a bite.

"You like the turkey, Jim?" asked Mrs. Fullerton.

"Yes, ma'am, it's very good, thank you." He took another bite in answer to her question.

"Please call me Lucy. Tell us about your time with the FBI, if you please. I find that fascinating. Bill tells me that you were in counter-terrorism."

"Yes, that's right, fifteen years here and in Seattle. There's a few things I can't talk about but..." And he spent the next two hours regaling about several cases that would have made a good movie.

The evening went by quickly, each tale taking on a life of its own as he answered the questions that he could without compromising security. Mary sat fascinated, listening to her husband recount his adventures before he met her. Several times, she thought he would have died if not for good luck or quick thinking. Her hands held tightly as she heard one thing after another, realizing that he was more than she had thought.

"My, look at the time," he finally said, for it was well past midnight. Soon, goodbyes were said and the two families bid each other a good night.

After escorting her parents to their house, Mary got back into the car and looked at her husband. "How come you never told me any of these things?"

"Well... I wasn't in a place where I could talk about it and then, well, we were making our own memories and it seemed like another life that was over, you know, and... well, that's all. What do you want to know?"

"Seven years ago, you said seven years ago that..."

*****

Seven years... but the memory was still vivid in his heart as he thought back, wondering how much he could tell Mary without worrying her more than necessary.

"It was," he started to say, "a long time ago but it seems to be only yesterday to me. I was working with Victor Smith and we were watching the harbor for a ship coming from Hong Kong, supposedly with immigrants in a container when what we found instead was a nuke that had a timer on it and we were only able to get it defused an hour before it exploded. It scared me to death how close we came to total destruction and it wasn't something I could talk about and you can't tell anyone about it. I mean it, Mary, you have to be quiet about it."

She sat in the car next to the quiet that filled the front seat. "I don't know what to say."

"Then don't..." was all he could tell her. He took her hand in his, moving up her arm. "I didn't want to tell you... probably shouldn't have."

"No, I'm glad you said something, it let's me know who you are."

Jim turned on the radio, breaking the silence that had once again joined them. Strangely enough, "Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers was playing. Mary laughed, knowing how ironic it was to hear the old tune. "Lets go home," she whispered.

1...345678