Shades of Blue Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There is a telephone by the bed sir" said John, handing me the room key, "and another in your lounge.

If there is anything else you require, you will find the list of extensions by the phone, please do not hesitate to call. Breakfast will be served in your dining area on request, at any time up to 11.o'clock. Call 'room service' with your choices when you are ready. The breakfast menu is on the dining table."

I was in shock, "don't we have to come down for breakfast then?" I asked.

"You may, of course, breakfast in the restaurant with the other guests, if you prefer, sir. We have found, though, that sometimes, especially if other wedding guests are staying overnight as well, there can, in the morning, be a certain amount of teasing. This can sometimes cause embarrassment to the happy couple.

For this reason the hotel provides the option for them to breakfast together, privately, in their room.

It also extends the intimacy of such a special night together".

I reached into my pocket to tip him, but he held up his hand to stop me.

"Thank you sir, but that isn't necessary. It is our pleasure to provide for you. Please don't hesitate to call if there is anything else you require. In the main lounge tonight, we have our resident musical trio, and you will be very welcome, should you wish to join them. They are very good and have a wide repertoire. I am sure you would enjoy listening to them. There is also a small dance floor."

He then let himself out of the room, quietly closing the door behind himself.

I looked at Joanne.

She looked at me.

Neither of us spoke for several seconds, then, as always seems to happen in these situations, we both started to speak at once. Being the 'gentleman' I waited to let her speak first.

"How much is all this costing?" She asked in a shocked tone. "This room alone must be costing a fortune, never mind the flowers and champagne. With dinner in the restaurant, and room service for breakfast, you must have cleared out your bank account and 'maxed out' your credit cards for all this."

"I don't think so Mum." I replied. "I booked us a double room with breakfast. Yes! I asked for the flowers, champagne and chocolates, and also made a reservation for dinner. The hotel has upgraded us to this suite, which I didn't ask for, or expect. I will only have to pay for what I booked. This hotel isn't the cheapest I could have found, but I thought it looked very good online, so I booked it.

We have a reservation in their restaurant for 8 o'clock. Once again, although it isn't the cheapest restaurant in the area, they have a very good reputation, and it looked 'special' which, as you know, was what I wanted." I grinned at her "You don't have to worry though. Even though you lost the bet and have to pay for the meal. I'll deal with it and you can settle up with me later."

(It's all right! Don't shout at me! She knew I was only teasing.)

"It was their idea to upgrade us to this. Did you expect me to turn it down? Anyway, if I do end up with my bank account empty, I don't care. I only intend getting married once so let's enjoy this, our special day." I gave her my best lecherous grin, "To say nothing of our special night."

I went over to the table and picked up the box of 'After Eights', "You did say you were looking forward to what follows dinner, didn't you? Would you like an early taste of paradise?" I offered her the box.

Perhaps, on reflection, that was not absolutely the best thing I could have said, under the circumstances. Joanne threw herself at me and hugged me so tightly I thought for a moment she was going to crush my ribs.

"I don't know how you have managed to do all this" she sobbed into my shoulder. "This morning I thought I had smashed my whole world and everything in it, to pieces. Somehow, from nothing, while I was hiding myself away in the bathroom, you have gone out and conjured up the most magical day of my whole life.

After our talk, even my 'chip shop and a lay-by' suggestion would have made a wonderful evening for me, just as long as I was with you. But this - this is like a fairy tale. It has surpassed anything I could have even dreamed of. I nearly lost it though, in reception, when she told us we were being upgraded to the bridal suite."

"I must admit, that nearly got me too" I said. "But even when she said 'The Bridal Suite', I never imagined all this." I looked at the list of telephone numbers and I noticed there was a hairdresser listed.

I pointed it out to Joanne and asked, "If she is still available, would you like me to see if she can 'glam up' your hair for tonight?"

"She will have finished and gone home by now." said Joanne, "But I haven't had time to do much to it myself. Yes! Give the number a ring and see if anyone answers."

I dialled the number and to my surprise it was picked up on only the second ring.

"I wonder if it would be possible for someone to look at my wife's hair," I asked "Only it has got a little windswept, and she really would like to be looking her best for tonight."

The lady on the phone asked for my room number.

As soon as I said "The Bridal Suite", she said, "Of course sir! If your wife couldcome down to the salon as soon as she is ready. We are in the corridor to the left of reception. I am sure I will be able to help."

I thanked her and said that my wife (I must admit, I do like the sound of that word) would be right down.

Looking at Joanne, I told her the salon was still open, and they could see her right away.

I reminded her, "Keep it a bit vague regarding what happened, but stick to what I hinted at to reception. The best man forgot to book anywhere for us tonight and this caused a big argument. I found this hotel on the internet, and booked us in here at the last minute. You can stress how grateful we are to the hotel for helping us out in this situation, but if anyone pushes too hard for details, I suggest that the usual ladies standby of tears, might stop too many more awkward questions.

We don't want to be thrown out of this lovely suite as frauds, do we? Then we really would have to fall back on the 'chip shop' option."

We left the suite, made our way back down past reception and I left Joanne at the hairdressing salon. I told her I would be waiting for her in the bar, when she was finished, and I said I would sort out the bill then. As I returned through reception, Lisa was still there behind the desk and she asked, "Is the room satisfactory?"

"Satisfactory doesn't even begin to describe the room." I said. "I cannot thank you enough for everything you have done for us. I can't even begin to explain how much this has meant to my wife and I. You knew, didn't you? You knew it wasn't our anniversary. Joanne was so upset, I thought it best not to mention that it was our wedding day. I didn't want her to spend tonight remembering what had happened. What was it that 'tipped you off'?"

"You seemed so unsure about such simple things. That's what made me think you were hiding something," said Lisa, "There was a slight hesitation before you said 'My wife', as if you were not used to calling her that, which at first made me think this was just another unmarried couple on a 'weekend away'. But then you mentioned that 'a friend' had forgotten to book tonight's room for you.

That was when it clicked. You don't ask a friend to book you a hotel for a 'weekend away', or even for an anniversary. That was when I guessed what was going on. It was the only explanation that made sense.

Today was your wedding day! That friend had to have been your 'best man'. You had trusted him to book somewhere for tonight, and he had messed up badly and forgotten. He was, wasn't he?"

Now I had to really think quickly. If I was going to get away with this, I was going to have to be very convincing.

"Yes, he was," I said, doing my best to look shamefaced at having tried to hide the truth from her. As it turned out, he was not really the best man I could have chosen.

His speech, which obviously he wouldn't let me see beforehand, was to say the least, disgusting. It was full of sexual innuendos and he insulted almost everyone. He even made suggestions about what Joanne and I would be doing tonight, which, as far I have ever understood, is the one area that he should have stayed right away from.

I suppose he thought he was being funny, but nobody else did. Especially Joanne's parents, who are a bit... Old fashioned. They were definitely not impressed about those comments.

Then, after the speeches, Joanne's mother asked him where we were spending tonight, he said, "I don't know, Paul hasn't told me." When she said that he was supposed to have booked somewhere, he claimed he didn't know he was expected to do that, but I know I told him to find us somewhere really nice, and he said it was all in hand.

Joanne's mother screamed and fainted. Father-in-Law, luckily, caught her and sat her in a chair. He was still fuming about that speech, and he wanted to, as he put it, 'punch Pete's lights out'. He didn't though! Instead he finished up holding me back, because I wanted to do it first.

Then someone else got in before either of us and floored him. I think it was the bridesmaid's boyfriend, who it seems was standing in line to have a go at him for a comment he had made about her in his speech. One of Pete's friends then joined in and whole thing turned into a total disaster."

I grabbed Joanne and we took a taxi back to her place. In the taxi, Joanne said she wished we had just moved in together like some of our friends had done.

Her parents would have had a fit if we had done, but at least, she said, all this would never have happened.

That's when I knew I had to do something to salvage her day. For a bride to wish, on her wedding day, that her wedding had never happened was unthinkable. But she wasn't just 'any bride', she was MY bride! He was MY choice for 'Best Man' and he had completely destroyed HER day.

Joanne locked herself in the bathroom and I could hear her crying. I fired up her computer, and searched for somewhere far enough away from the scenes of chaos we had left behind, but within easy driving distance. Somewhere that looked really nice, so we could get right away from everything which had happened and hopefully salvage something from the wreckage of the day.

That was when I found your website.

Then I went and messed up the booking form by ticking the box for a twin room instead of a double. A twin room! For our wedding night! I ask you! How stupid was that? Luckily, Joanne noticed it when I managed to get her to come out of the bathroom and showed her the Hotel web site and the print-out of my booking. As you can probably imagine, she went straight back into the bathroom in another flood of tears.

That's when I made that panic phone call to you. I was in such a state by then, I am surprised that I made any sense at all when I was asking you to change the booking. You can see why, after all that, I said the rest of the evening had to be perfect."

"When we arrived, Joanne was still a bit tearful, and when you offered the upgrade to 'The Bridal Suite' she almost broke down completely. I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined having what you have given us. I just cannot thank you enough."

"We are pleased we have been able to help," said Lisa. "I spoke to the manager after you phoned, and he asked me how sure I was that something had gone wrong at your wedding. I told him I was fairly sure but didn't have anything more definite to go on, it was just a feeling.

He then said I could use my discretion and if, when you arrived, I still thought the same, I could offer you the upgrade. I was already fairly sure in my own mind, so I asked for the room to be made ready. When I saw how upset your wife was when you arrived, I just knew I was right. For a bride to be that upset on her wedding day, whatever had gone wrong just had to be really, really bad.

I managed to catch Marie in the salon before she went home, and asked if she would stay on a little. I had a feeling your wife might have need of her services."

"So that's something else we have to thank you for." I said. "While she was crying in the bathroom, Joanne washed out what she had done to her hair this morning. I think she was trying to erase the memory of the whole day.

Luckily her case was already packed, so I just picked it up and put her things in the car. I had a bit of -- "I'm not going anywhere, everything is ruined", to contend with, but I got her into the car and here we are. Now she is in the salon having everything put right and, with that room as well, everything is looking great again. You have completely turned our whole day around. Turning a disaster, back into the magical time it was supposed to have been from the start.

I have told Marie to do whatever Joanne wants. 'Make her feel as a bride should feel on her wedding day' I told her."

I grinned at her, "I know! This could turn out to be a bit expensive, but I think it is a big part of the re-building of her day, and will be worth every penny if it helps us put the troubles of this afternoon behind us. I would like to thank you again for your help, and would you please thank the manager for me too?"

As I said that a man came out of an office behind reception.

"I am glad we could be of service sir" he said, "Lisa seemed so certain, and I know I can trust her instincts. I am sure, during the rest of your stay, we will be able to help you get over the disappointments you both have suffered today."

I realised he must be the manager, and had been listening from the office to the story I had given to Lisa. I must admit, I was beginning to feel quite guilty about having 'conned' them like I had, but I couldn't back out now. I made up my mind to at least put some of it right. I stepped forward with my hand outstretched for him to shake. As we shook hands I said. "I cannot thank you enough. I know, when a hotel offers a room upgrade, it is normal practice that the guest only pays for the room they have booked, not the upgrade. On this occasion, with everything you have done for us, I must ask I be allowed to pay for this room. I'm not a rich man, but whatever is the rate for 'The Bridal Suite', please allow me to pay it. The choice of 'Best Man' was mine. The 'foul up' was therefore, also mine.

You and your staff have been magnificent, helping me out of a really awkward situation at very short notice and I cannot, in all conscience, ask you to foot the bill, for what were, after all, my mistakes.

If I had known 'The Bridal Suite' was available when I phoned, I would probably have booked it anyway, so please allow me to at least pay for what the hotel is providing."

The manager looked at me in surprise. I could see he hadn't expected this. He thought for a moment and then looked at Lisa, smiled at her, and then said: "I must admit, I did wonder if this was indeed a genuine situation, but as I said, I do trust Lisa's judgement. Your offer to pay for the suite has proved to me, beyond any doubt, her instincts were right. Under the circumstances, I am pleased the Suite was available and we were able to offer it to you. I would like you to accept the upgrade, as a wedding present to you both, from the hotel."

I said, "When you put like that, I have no choice but to accept. It would be impolite of me to refuse. Thank you so much, and I know I am speaking for both of us, when I say we will never forget your kindness."

I looked from him to Lisa and back again. Something seemed to be happening here, right in front of me. The Manager was looking at her and smiling, and she had become softer somehow. She looked different, almost as if she had become, not shy, almost embarrassed. She was blushing. Was it because he was smiling at her? Not a reaction I would expect her to have, just because her boss was pleased with her for spotting our situation.

I hadn't realised until that moment, what she must have seen when we had checked in. Maybe I was just seeing 'love' everywhere today, but when someone is that much in love, it shows.

I could see she was in love with this man. It was written all over her face, as soon as she looked at him.

I am not a betting man, but I would have put money on the manager being in love with her too. But it also looked to me, as if he was as blind to her feelings for him, as she was to his, for her. He loved her, but somehow he couldn't see she was crazy about him. Relationships are complicated things. Life would be so much simpler, if less interesting, if they weren't.

--------

I had settled down in the bar with a stiff drink, which by then I really needed, to settle my nerves. I was on my second, when a man sitting across the bar, who was facing the entrance from reception, gave a low whistle of appreciation and began to get up. I looked round to see what had attracted his attention just as Joanne walked into the room. She looked absolutely stunning.

Not only had her hair been styled really beautifully, but her make up had been re-done to enhance her natural beauty. Every man in the bar was looking at her, and I knew, almost to a man they were wishing she was with them.

I felt so proud as I crossed the bar and took her hand, leading her to my table.

I was about to kiss her when she placed her hand on my chest, "Don't you dare!" she whispered, smiling at me, "This look has cost a small fortune to achieve and you are not going to mess it up - well not yet anyway," she said with a shy smile. "You said you wanted me to 'wow' the restaurant tonight, and that's just what I intend to do."

"That's going to be easy" I said, "The eyes of every man in this bar followed you as you walked in. I expect you are, at this moment, the subject of several, quite immoral, fantasies." I grinned at her "At least half of them are mine! But I can feel the waves of envy from here. Goodness only knows what you will do to them when you are wearing that dress tonight."

"Have I told you that you are probably the most beautiful woman in the world?" I asked.

She almost blushed. "No" she said, and then she smiled up at me. "Well, not in the last 45 minutes, anyway. But I am parched, don't I get a drink? You also need to go and pay Marie for her work on my hair and make-up. I thought it best not to use my card. If we only got married this morning, I wouldn't have a card in my married name yet, would I?"

"I must be getting forgetful," I said, "I haven't got over the transformation from you being merely 'beautiful' to being 'heart stopping-ly, breath taking-ly gorgeous', yet".

I must have had a grin that almost split my face as I went to the bar and ordered her a glass of white wine.

Putting the glass down in front of her I whispered that I needed to fill her in on developments, but I would sort out the hairdressing bill, first. "You were right to leave the salon for me to sort out." I whispered. "Don't you go running off with anyone else while I am away now" I said, "Because as soon as I walk out of this bar, leaving you here, there is going to be a queue forming." I took her hand and raised it to my lips. "Another thing I haven't told you in the last 45 minutes - I Love You!"

Back at the salon I paid Marie using my credit card.

Phew! These ladies hairdressing salons certainly do know how to charge don't they? Not that I am complaining, she had done an amazing job at very short notice, staying late especially for us. I gave her a large tip and didn't begrudge her a penny of it.

Passing through reception again, Lisa was still at reception, smiling all over her face.

"Your wife looked a lot happier when she came past just now." She said.

"Oh Yes!" I replied. "As soon as we saw the suite, I knew our whole day was looking up. Then having her hair and make up re-done was, I think, the thing which has convinced her that our day has just been given back to us. The look on her face when she entered the bar said it all. As I said, this is all down to you. Thank you! I think I must be the luckiest man in the world just now."