Shifting Sands

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"She doing okay?"

"Under the circumstances, I'd say she's doing great."

"Before I forget it again, the faucet in four is leaking again and our guests will be here soon."

"I'll take care of it. I'm going to have to replace it when we close down for the season." Lee went out to his little workshop and gathered the tools and part for the faucet and went upstairs. With the repairs made Lee locked the door and saw Gil coming out of his room, "Hi, Gil."

"Lee."

"Heard anything from the police?"

"Yes I'm afraid so, they want to talk to me again."

"Oh, well good luck."

"Thanks. With any luck they will be done with me before the restaurants close."

"If not, we can come up with something for you."

"Thanks. Is Kala okay?"

"As far as I know she is."

"Take good care of her, Lee."

"You know we will."

Lee didn't see much of Kala for the rest of the afternoon. He checked in the two newly arriving couples and got them settled and then joined them in the solarium for coffee and conversation for an hour even though his heart wasn't in it. From there, it was to the pool to check the chemicals and do some light cleaning. He stood there and remembered the day that he saw Kala in her bikini the first time and he couldn't help but smile. Before he knew it she was standing by him, "Hi, Lee."

"Oh hi Kala, I was just thinking of you."

"And all the trouble I bring?"

"And all the joy that you bring me."

"Thank you, I need to hear kind words right now."

"Having a hard day?"

"Pretty much."

"I ran into Gil, and he's back at the police station for another interview."

"I'd like to sit in on that."

"I'm sure you would. Now I wish we got a daily paper here. But truth be known, they don't cover our area well at all." "I know the local news doesn't either, but then I haven't been watching them much this time."

Lee looked at Kala and then said, "I can be so stupid some times."

"Why would you say that?"

"Because I know somebody in the news department at KGOR."

Kala's eyes widened as she asked, "Do you think they know anything?"

"It's worth a call. Come with me, beautiful one." They went inside and straight to Lee's room and his desk. He scanned his old Rolodex and then dialed the phone and waited. He had to go through all of the automated steps until he reached the news room and then asked for Candy Walters. Again a long wait and then he gave his name. "This is Lee Nelson from The Sand Castle."

A minute later he heard her voice say, "Lee?"

"Hi, Candy."

"Oh I'll bet I know why you're calling."

"You just might. Listen, do you have any halfway reliable rumors or information regarding the woman they found shot to death?"

"Not much, the detectives are tight lipped on this one. What were you hoping to learn?"

"Anything. We're out here in the sticks and pretty much in a vacuum."

"Okay so you know she was shot and that your guest, Gilbert Adler is somehow involved."

"Yes, but how is he involved?"

"We don't know."

"Okay, what about the woman?"

"Not a lot. We've been running her name, but all I can tell you is she isn't local, and by that I mean the eastern half of North Carolina."

"Well, that's more than I had."

"What do you have from your end?"

"Less than nothing. Gil says only that he is totally innocent of her murder."

"But I'll bet he isn't totally innocent."

Lee laughed and said, "I think you may be right. He's in Morehead talking to the detectives again in fact."

"I wonder if we'll get anything for the six o'clock news."

"I wouldn't count on it."

"Sorry I can't be of more help, Lee."

"It was worth a try."

"How is Mrs. Adler doing?"

"Scared, confused, you know all the expected reactions."

"I feel for her."

"Yeah, me too, listen thanks for taking the time for me."

"Good to hear from you Lee." After hanging up he just looked at Kala and shook his head.

"We do know now that she is from out of town or at least it's very likely so."

"That increases the chances that Gil isn't so innocent."

"Of that, I have little doubt now." Lee, Kala, and Grace had a late lunch and then each went their own way for awhile. Kala wanted to go back on line again and check her email, Grace went about her chores, and Lee for a change went to the solarium to read. Life was now becoming a waiting game for them.


Chapter Thirteen


By four, Gil still hadn't returned from Morehead City, so Lee assumed that he was staying in town for dinner. But he had no more than had that thought when he got a call from Candy. "Okay, Lee you owe me."

"Hi Candy, what do I owe you and why?"

"I haven't decided on the fee, but I just learned that Gil is all but removed from the list of suspects for Rae Ann Cummins' murder."

"Really?'

"You didn't hear it from me though."

"Of course not."

"Have you talked to him Lee?"

"Gil?"

"No, Uncle Sam. Yes Gil."

"Not a word and I haven't seen him since he left this morning. I'm glad he isn't likely the murderer, but I don't know if it will change things with his wife."

"Because?"

"Because of all of the lies she has caught him in. Rae Ann had to go and get herself murdered which really exposed Ole' Gilbert's web of lies and deceit."

"I'm surprised she is still there."

"She was going to stick it out until things were resolved."

"Well, I guess she'll be going home then, and you will lose paying guests."

"Yes...it looks like it. Gotta go, Candy. Thanks for the call and put me down for a dinner one of these days."

"I'm holding you to it and I'm not a cheap date."

"I know, your husband told me."

"Smart ass. Bye."

That was about all of the cute bantering he could handle. Kala would be going home and his heartache would begin. He had to find her and tell her the news and try to keep his best face on through it all. He tried her room first but she didn't answer the knock so he went to the kitchen and found Grace coming in from the laundry room. "Have you seen Kala?"

"Not for quite awhile what's happening?"

"It looks like Gil has been taken off the list of most likely suspects for the murder." Grace stood there watching Lee.

"Oh damn...I don't know what to say Lee."

"I know what you mean. I guess I better find her and give her the news." He found her in the solarium talking to one of the couples that had just arrived, so Lee glued on a smile and pressed himself to be as sociable as he could and then told Kala, "I have that information that you've been waiting for, Kala."

"Oh?"

"It just arrived if you have a minute."

"Yes of course, if you two will excuse me."

"Of course," the couple replied and sent her off with a smile.

As soon as they were far enough away she whispered, "What news, Lee?"

"Let's go into the kitchen." As soon as they were there he turned to her and took her hands in his.

"I just got a call from my friend Candy. I don't have it officially, but it would seem that Gil has been removed from the list of suspects for the murder.

I don't even know if Gil knows that yet." Kala stared at Lee and she didn't say anything or move.

"Are you okay, Kala?"

Another moment passed and then in a near whisper she said, "I just realized that I about half hoped he was guilty, so he'd be out of my life." Lee pulled her close to him and they just held each other for some time.

She looked up at him then and said, "I don't know what to do now. Is he back from town?"

"Not the last I knew he wasn't."

"I guess I have to talk to him again before anything else happens." Lee didn't know what to say to her.

She looked up at him and saw his eyes getting wet as he said, "I don't want you to leave." She had to move a tear with her finger then and she put her arms around him.

"Lee, we're in such a mess. My mind keeps jumping around so much I can't seem to form a thought or make a decision."

"If Gil doesn't get back in time, have dinner with me tonight would you? Maybe by morning things will start to sort themselves out."

"I wish they would. Lee, I don't want to leave either." There was little else they could say. It was up to Kala now. She had to decide about Gil first. Would she forgive him and move on? If not, then what would happen between her and Lee with her back in her condo in Chicago? Lee never felt more powerless to control his fate in his life.

They waited until after six o'clock, but Gil was still absent so they went ahead with dinner. It was the quietest and most somber time that they had spent together. Hardly a word was spoken until Lee refilled their coffee cups after dinner.

Kala stared at her cup then and said, "Since Gil didn't murder that woman he is free to go home. Since that woman is dead, even if he was having an affair with her there is no reason for him to still be away. So where is he now? What the hell is going on, Lee?"

"I wish I knew Kala, at least before I had suspicions, now I just don't have a clue."

"I'm so mad at him now I could just kill him. Lee, one of the things I did when I used your office was to contact an attorney to start the proceedings against Gil. I told him to stop short of filing though until I knew the outcome of this whole mess down here. I also had him put a freeze on our savings account and our investments, because I don't know what he's up to, or if he's spending our money without me knowing it. On top of that, one small part of me still worries about him. I'm so sorry about all of this, Lee. You don't deserve to be dragged through this whole mess."

"Kala what I don't deserve, is you, but I don't want you to leave. I know you will have to and that kills me, but I understand. I'm just existing on the hope that in the long run things will work out somehow. You have to be happy Kala ,and I can't stand the thought of anything less for you."

"Unless something changes, I'm going home tomorrow, Lee. We'll just have to see what happens after that. I have to be up there where I'm in a position to handle my affairs."

"I guess that is best." Standing up she said, "Forgive me Lee, but I'm going back to my room and just hide. I'll see you in the morning." He watched her go and then just sat there unable to make the simplest decision or form a reasonable thought.

Lee went back to his room and dropped onto his bed. At some point he fell asleep and then woke about midnight, stripped, and went back to sleep again. It was close to four in the morning when once again Lee was awakened by the insistent sound of the door chimes. Lee had trouble focusing and then finding his robe but then stumbled out to the door. He shoulders sagged when he looked through the peephole and opened the door. There were two of them but Lee said, "Damn it sheriff, what is it this time."

"I'm sorry to bother you Mr. Nelson, but we have to talk to you and Mrs. Adler."

"Now? Again?"

"I'm afraid so, yes sir."

"Sheriff Michaels right?"

"Yes, Gene Michaels."

"Sorry Gene, but I was sound asleep."

"I understand."

"The last time...for Mel, I got Mrs. Adler and brought her to the solarium, is that okay again?"

"That would be fine."

"I'm sure she's asleep so it will take a couple of minutes."

"I know."

Lee went to Kala's room and started knocking on her door. He waited a minute and then knocked again.

Again, from deep inside her room he heard, "Yes."

"Sorry Kala, it's Lee."

"What is it, Lee?"

"You better get your robe and open the door."

"Okay, just a minute." She opened the door and her hair was in total disarray, her eyes were puffy and still dulled from sleep.

"I'm sorry Kala, but the police are here again."

"What for now and why at this awful hour?"

"They're waiting for us in the solarium again."


Chapter Fourteen


The two of them went to the solarium and waited for one of the officers to speak. It was sheriff Michaels and he said, "Mrs. Adler we found your husband at the end of Allgood Lane a couple of hours ago. I'm sorry to tell you that he is dead."

Kala looked first at the sheriff and then at Lee and then turned into Lee's shoulder and cried. It took her a couple of minutes before she asked them, "What happened?" "

We're not sure yet. He was found about half exposed in a mound of sand. We think the sand shifted. Had that not happened, we might not have found him. I can tell you that he was shot twice, but that's about all right now."

"When?"

"We're not sure but it's been at least a few hours ago."

"Oh God," and she dropped into a chair and buried her face in her hands. "I can't take much more of this."

"What do you mean, Mrs. Adler?"

"We just went through this when that woman was found murdered and I thought Gil might have done it."

"Why did you suspect him of that?"

"Because I caught him in lies, the woman had his number and name and because he claimed to be away from me because of a work problem. Then I learn that he's been cleared of the murder, but he doesn't come home so I'm planning on going home without him. Now you tell me this news. I just can't stand any more of this mess."

The second officer stood up and said, "Mr. Nelson why don't you come with me while they talk."

"Yes, I know we went through this before too."

"You don't seem too upset by the news."

"Officer...detective, whatever, like Kara I've been through hell too."

"You called her Kara, and she was quick to cry into your shoulder. How well do you know her?"

"Very well, she is a guest here at The Sand Castle, but she is also my friend. My very close friend."

"As in having an affair?"

"If you mean have we been intimate the answer is no, the same answer that I gave before with that woman's murder. As to why she would cry into my shoulder, I say again, we are close. Also what would you have her do, cry into your shoulder? The woman just learned her husband is dead after all."

"Where have you been for the last eight hours, sir?"

"Right here, most of the time in my bedroom in fact."

"So no witnesses."

"Most likely not. I had dinner with Kala, we talked and then each went to our own rooms, where I went to bed very early. Oh, and our rooms are next to each other."

"What do you know of Mr. and Mrs. Adler's marriage?"

"I know it's on the rocks."

"Because of the reasons she listed?"

"That's right. She told me the same information not long ago in fact, after that woman was murdered. Detective if you think I might have murdered Gil with Kala being the motive, let me tell you something. One of the things we talked about at dinner was the fact that she has filed for divorce, or rather is in the process of. If I wanted Kala that badly all I have to do is wait a couple of months."

"There is always the money; I understand that Mr. Adler is fairly well off."

"I think he might even be considered very well off." Waving his hands around Lee said, "Look around you, Detective, this is a very large and valuable property. It is a very profitable bed and breakfast, and it is all paid for. I'm not exactly in bad financial shape myself, and I suspect that you will find that Mrs. Adler is doing just fine as well, as an accountant. I liked Gil well enough. I didn't like how he treated Kala, but that's between the two of them."

The detective wasn't giving up yet. "Do you own a gun?"

"No, and I haven't fired one in...ten or fifteen years, maybe more."

"Would you submit to a polygraph?"

"Sure, as long as it's after I've had a decent nights sleep, but if we keep getting awakened in the middle of the night that might be awhile."

"You don't seem to have a lot of sympathy for Mr. Adler."

"I'm too tired to have sympathy right now except for Kala. She's about to fall apart from all that has been happening."

"Thank you for your patience, Mr. Nelson."

"Let me ask you a question then."

"Like what?"

"Was Gil having an affair with that woman that was murdered?"

"I can't comment on that."

"Great. If he was, that information would at least make it a little easier for Mrs. Adler to cope with this mess."

"Are you planning on going anywhere, Mr. Nelson?"

"Are you kidding. I have guests booked right through November. I'm not going anywhere before December."

He turned to go back to the solarium and said, "I'll see that Mrs. Adler rejoins you in a minute."

"Thanks."

It was only a couple of minutes later when the three of them appeared and then the officers left. Kala looked exhausted but relieved to have them gone. Lee put his arm around her and asked her, "Are you okay?"

"I don't know if I am or not Lee. I'm so tired, but now I don't know if I can sleep."

"Let's go get a drink and try to settle down. Lee poured them a couple of shots of straight bourbon, dropped an ice cube in each and led her to his room where they sat down. Lee tasted his drink and said, "I don't mean to sound like I'm calloused Kala, but at least we now know why Gil didn't come back or call."

"I know, but damn it, Lee we don't know who killed him, we don't know why he was killed, I still don't know if he was having an affair, or if so if it was with that murdered woman...my God, the questions just keep piling up. I think I'm going to go crazy."

"I asked the officer if Gil was having an affair, but he refused to answer me."

"If anything that leads me to believe he was. It seems that if the answer was no, he would have just said so."

"I think so too."

Kala took about half of her shot of bourbon and then leaned back. "Oh Lee, what am I going to do? I don't know if I should still go back to Chicago or not."

"I wish I knew what to tell you Kala. I don't want you to go, so I'm not exactly objective. Will the police want to talk to you again, or did they say they wanted you to take a polygraph exam?"

"That was mentioned and I said of course I would, but he didn't take it any farther. He didn't say anything about talking to me again either."

"How important is it for you go get back home now?"

"I can call my attorney tomorrow and stop all of that, but it depends on what he says about everything else. I can't even do anything about Gil's burial until the coroner releases him."

"Why don't you talk to your attorney and decide then."

"Lee, I don't even know how to feel about this. I should be devastated right now and I really do cry for him. But that's for him not our relationship. So much damage had already been done."

"What about before you and Gil came down this time? Were there problems even then?"

"Looking back now, I can see there were problems, how long before I would have recognized them, I don't know. But he was gone so much more than he was home. For a long time, I naively believed he was working a lot, but recently I had begun to wonder. I shouldn't be speaking badly of him now though."

"You have to be honest with yourself, Kala. It isn't important what I think of him, only what is in your heart. If your marriage was at its end or whatever, then don't pretend that all was well. It will just add to your stress."

"God, I'm so tired but I don't know if I can sleep. I'm afraid to even close my eyes."

"Stay with me again then. Maybe it will help you if you're not alone."

"I...would it be wrong for me to do that?"

"I say no, but do what you can live with. I'd love to have you next to me and feel that I'm helping in some small way."

"Then I'll stay, because I don't want to go back to my room." Without any more fanfare or false modesty they removed their robes and slipped into bed together. Lee wanted her to know that she was loved, but he could do nothing but hold her close and comfort her. Sleep didn't elude them for long and for the next few hours they lay close and slept in spite of all of the stress they were going through.