Somebody That I Used to Know Ch. 02

Story Info
After five years in California, Adam finally comes home.
12.2k words
4.37
31.6k
20

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 03/19/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before I start I want to address a few comments that were made in the last chapter.

1: I am British, Scottish to be precise, so I will spell words differently to how the Americans do it. There is nothing wrong with how I spell words.

2: I am sorry about the grammar but as some readers have said, a few mistakes can be overlooked and you should focus on the story, not on the punctuation.

3: Someone said the story was too long. I can't help you with that, the story was 5 pages long so why you read all five when you don't want a long story I won't know. Either way I'll say it here; this is going to be a long story, several chapters, several pages long each.

4: Rangers or Celtic? Neither, I'm from a Hearts family so I'm a Hearts man.

Thank you for all the kind words and suggestions for the story.

Story first, sex second.

**

1996

"Hello?"

"Adam, is that you?"

"Yeah."

"It's Liam?"

"Oh hey. What you calling for? It's almost midnight here."

"Sorry, forgot the time difference. It's about your Aunt Jane. Adam she's dead."

Adam played the conversation out in his head over and over as the taxi took him down a somewhat familiar street. His Aunt Jane, dead. He'd known about the cancer for two, two and a half years now but he never made the visit over to see her, he regretted that now. The last time they saw each other he had just told her he was sleeping with her daughter, his cousin.

Oh God Lexi. How would she feel about his return? From his phone conversations with Liam over the past five years she hated him, then she missed him, then she loved him, then she wanted him dead until about the time Jane got cancer and her and Liam lost touch.

The taxi pulled up outside his parent's house, in accordance with her wishes Jane was being buried in Scotland alongside her parents, the funeral was being held later that day but a few people were meeting first at the house. Adam got out the taxi and took his luggage to the front door, he waited a few minutes, taking deep breaths. It had been five years since it he saw anyone, five years since he ran away, even his parents were strangers to him.

Adam held his breath and knocked on the door.

The door was opened by Damien, he was obviously sad but he hid it. He looked over Adam taking in the sight and trying to recognize him.

"Hello Adam."

"Hello Damien."

"You're mum's in the kitchen. You can leave your bag in the back room."

"Thanks."

An awkward silence passed between them, it never broke but Damien walked away, he wasn't happy to see Adam, as he walked through the house it seemed like that was the main consensus of everyone there, people stared at this stranger, one by one they recognized him and looked away with disgust. Adam left his bag in the dining room and headed to the kitchen, his mother Carol was sitting at a table, crying, his father Kieran and another woman stood by her.

Adam cleared his throat after looking in on this intimate moment, all three adults turned and looked at him. Carol recognized him straight away, got up, ran over to him and hugged him tightly.

"Oh Adam." Carol said nothing else, she just held onto her son. It took Kieran to get her off him, he looked at his son, taking in how much he had changed; his short hair was shorter with the front styled, his skin was darker, tanned from his years in the sun and his once bare face now had a smooth goatee on it. Kieran chuckled a little.

"You look like an executive son. If it wasn't for that scar I wouldn't recognize you."

Adam smiled. "Got to look good for my work dad."

The two men shook hands, Carol wiped a tear from her eye.

"So tell us then, where do you work, where do you live, who are you living with...?"

"And why did you leave?"

The second woman finally spoke up, Adam looked at her and immediately knew who it was.

Alexandra.

She too had changed quite a bit. Her hair was longer, not as long as when she came to visit him but it was shoulder length now and dyed a much darker brown than he remembered, her green eyes had a tired look but held genuine happiness behind them. None of which Adam noticed.

He was looking at her enlarged midsection, her hand unconsciously stroking her bump.

Alexandra saw Adam looking at her bump, she smiled. "Five months along. In case you're wondering."

"Who's the father?" He knew there was no chance in hell it was him but a little niggle in his head gave him hope. Or was it fear?

"His name's Ellis, he's in Wales, couldn't make it up."

"Oh." Adam tried to hide his disappointment but failed.

Kieran sensed this. "Alex, take Carol through to the Living Room, I want to talk to Adam alone."

"Sure thing Uncle Kieran." Alexandra helped Carol to her feet, both women supporting each other.

Kieran took two beers out the fridge, gave one to Adam and sat down. "So, start talking."

Adam opened his beer and sat down opposite his father. "About what?"

"Where are you working, where are you living, why didn't you come back? Why did you leave in the first place?"

"I'm working at a restaurant, been there for nearly the whole five years, managed to get into an assistant manager position."

"In five years? Impressive."

"Well the owner owed me a favour so he bumped me up a few steps. I'm living in California, some town near L.A., it's a place near the beach, very sunny, very quiet. As for why I never came back well it's for the same reason I left."

"Alex."

"Yeah. Fuck I forgot you knew about that."

"Well you were pretty vocal about it. Look son, I'm not going to question what you did with your cousin, I've learnt to get past it since you've been gone, but don't bring it up to your mum, she's repressed it and doesn't believe a word of it. And while we're talking, don't talk to Alexandra either unless she brings it up, she had a lot of trouble, a lot of people judged her and she and Jane never talked for over a year."

"I never knew."

"How could you, it was kept quiet, no-one wanted the news about you and Alex to spread."

Adam put his beer on the table, he tried to look his father in the eye but he couldn't. "Dad, for what it's worth, I'm sorry."

"I know you are son. I know. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed that you threw away your life because of an argument. Come on then, I think people are heading out to the funeral now."

**

The funeral was a respectable affair, there was a good turn-out and everyone paid their respects without hassle. Carol cried at the loss of her sister, Damien shed a few tears over the loss of his wife and Alexandra came close to crying but she had people around her to make sure she was ok, Adam stayed back so people wouldn't judge but he wanted so bad to be there for her.

Back at the house Adam made a genuine effort to get along with people, they knew him as the cousin-fucking runaway but he was going to prove them wrong and joined in on the conversations, he even joked about his desertion, telling everyone...

"I was going to be a lawyer, until I fell in love. Turns out you can't have a heart in the justice system."

It was a terrible joke but it garnered a few laughs. Despite this Adam knew people were judging him. At around 9 at night Alexandra finally came up to talk to Adam, the two of them went outside to the garden where it was quieter.

Neither of them knew how to start the conversation, so Alexandra took the first move and hugged her cousin.

"God it's been too long Adam."

"It has Lexi. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." Alexandra let him go. "So your dad tells me you're working in a restaurant, not doing any law work in California?"

"Ah well it was just suppose to be a part-time job that became a career. I just stuck with it."

"You? Adam McAllister? Sticking with something? Never."

Adam had to smile at that. "I fuck up once and people are still going on about it."

"It's not how many times you fuck up it how bad you fuck up. Adam you threw your life away, your education, your job, your family. No matter how many years pass, that is how people will remember you."

Adam was getting a little angry. "Let me guess, now you want to know why I left."

"No I know why you left."

"No you don't. Everyone assumes it had something to do with you."

"But it did."

No Lexi, it had more to do with you than anyone realises." Adam crashed onto a bench outside, his heavy head in his hands "When I saw you with that bleach blonde asshole it killed me Lexi. I loved you with everything I had and I honestly thought you were the one. I also thought you felt the same way."

Alexandra sat down next to her cousin. "Why didn't you come back?"

"Same reason. I was in love with you. I've never stopped being in love with you. I love you so much I hate you, you understand?"

"Well I did tell you not to fall in love with me, I did tell you I was going to hurt you."

Adam chuckled a little, although his laugh was more sad than happy. Alexandra put her arm around him shoulder, he welcomed her warm touch. "I guess you did Lexi."

"For what it's worth Adam I am sorry. I know I should've said this earlier but giving the circumstances it was difficult. I'm sorry for hurting you."

"It's ok Lexi, I know that I should've realised we had no future. For fuck sake we're cousins. Anyway it's past now, you have Ellis, and the baby, I'll find someone someday and pretty soon we'll only see each other at birthdays and Christmas's and births. And more deaths."

Alexandra wiped away a tear, something that didn't go unnoticed by Adam. "Sorry, you just buried your mother today. I shouldn't mention death."

"It's not that Adam. I just don't want us to drift apart again."

Alexandra quickly leaned in and kissed Adam. It was soft and it was quick but it was a kiss all the same. As quick as it began it was over and Alexandra was walking away, almost running actually towards the house. Adam stayed seated, trying to make sense of what happened, he lit a cigarette and stayed outside, slowly nursing it down as everyone else went about their business. When it was finished he dropped the filter to the ground and left for his hotel.

He didn't even say goodbye.

**

The next morning Adam went to see an old friend, someone he'd talked to but hadn't seen in years. He knocked on his friend's door and was greeted with a welcome only he could give.

"Adam you runaway motherfucker. How are you?"

"I'm good Liam. How have you been?"

"Ugh, it's been a fuckin madhouse, you mind if we sit out in the garden, the kids are at school but they'll be home in a few hours."

Adam followed Liam into his house, shutting the door behind him. "Kids? I forgot it's plural now isn't it."

"Yep, Tyler James Nelson, though we just call him T.J. He'll be just past four next month. You want a beer?"

"Sure. So you and Maggie are married now?"

"No, not yet but to be honest it doesn't look like we will. We're having some difficulties right now and they may take some time to heal, if they ever will."

Liam opened two beer bottles, handed one to Adam and led him out to the garden. "What problems?"

"Nothing Adam, I've just done some shit I'm not proud of and try as hard as I can to keep it quiet Maggie just smells it on me."

The two friends sat out in the garden, the sun shone brightly on the grass but they were lucky to have a seat in the shade.

"Who did you fuck?"

Liam was surprised by his friend's openness. "Jesus Adam, California really made you braver didn't it. I didn't fuck anyone alright. Let's just drop this alright, talk about you."

Despite their years apart Adam knew Liam well enough to know there was something he wasn't saying. But he let it go for now.

"So when you heading back?"

"A couple days, I got some holidays that needed using so I just decided to take a break."

"Where you working?"

"Some restaurant chain, you won't have heard of it, I'd never even heard of it until I started working there."

"Should I get to the big pink elephant in the room? Tell you why I left?"

"Oh I know why you left. What I want to know is why you never came back?"

"Same reason. Lexi. I actually saw her yesterday at the funeral."

"Oh shit, sorry I never went."

"It's fine Liam, I appreciate all you did for me with Lexi but I know you have your own family. Speaking of which, you know that Lexi's pregnant."

"Fuck off."

"No it's true, five months along."

"Jesus. It's not yours is it?"

"Yeah, she was pregnant for five years and is only now showing. No it's some guy called Ellis, I never got his last name."

"Sounds like a prick."

Adam laughed, he stayed a few more hours, just talking with Liam until Maggie came home, she offered him to stay for lunch but he declined and went back to the hotel.

When he arrived at the hotel Adam got a message from reception. Alexandra had called looking for him and wanted him to call her when he got in. As soon as the door was locked he did just that.

"Lexi?"

"Adam, I called you earlier but you weren't in."

"I was at Liam's house. How did you get this number I was supposed to be staying at home?"

"I also called Liam, you shouldn't give him any secrets."

Adam smiled. "So what can I help you with?"

Alexandra took a deep breath. I hope you understand Adam that this is going to be difficult for me and you're the only person I know that can help me. I want to see Craig."

"Lexi I don't know if that's a good idea."

"I know that I shouldn't but as much as it pains me he's was the only father I had until Damien, I never even met my real dad. I just want to see him, I just want to tell him about mum, and about the baby."

"Lexi remember that Craig was attacked in prison. I know it's been seven years but that pipe to the head did permanent damage, he may not even remember you."

"I know, I just want to see him, more for myself than for him."

"Alright, I'll come by the house later we can drive up to the home."

"Thank you."

Adam hung up the phone, this was going to be difficult so he lit a cigarette before leaving, smoked it by an open window then left. The whole time he was thinking about Alexandra, he couldn't decide if she was brave or stupid or both for going to see the man who had molested her. All he knew was that he admired her.

**

Adam took a taxi to his house then he and Alexandra drove up to the home where Craig was living, it was a bit of a drive and with Alexandra pregnant Adam had to drive the whole way but he didn't care, he was just glad to be with her. He kept looking over at her during the drive, she was wearing a bright yellow summer dress with a hem that swept along her thighs, because of her extended belly the hem was lifted slightly allowing Adam to see more of his cousin's smooth legs. Her breasts had increased as well and were pushing the boundaries of the dress giving Adam a good look at her golden cleavage. He felt that same lust for her that he had felt so many years before.

When they got to the home Adam held Alexandra's hand the whole time, she didn't say anything against him, in fact she actually gripped his hand tightly when they walked through the front doors and kept holding when they stopped at the receptionist.

"Hello, we're here to see Craig Buchannan."

"Just sign your name's in here then head down the corridor to the right. He's in room 113."

Adam could hear Alexandra's breathing get quicker and sporadic, she was terrified but she needed to do this. Adam stayed by her side the whole time, even pushed her a little when she stopped in her tracks. When they reached the door to Room 113 Alexandra froze, she only looked at the door handle, she looked like she was about to vomit.

"You want me to open it?"

"NO! No Adam, I'll, I'll do it. Just, gimme a second."

Alexandra inhaled deeply and held her breath as her shaky hand reached out and opened the door.

Inside was a small room, brightly decorated but with a stench of death about it; there was a man in a wheelchair in the middle of the room. It was suppose to be Craig but from what Adam could see, it wasn't Craig, it was just an empty shell of the man he was years ago, he was thin and pale and weak, his bones could be seen through his arms. He was drooling out the corner of his mouth as he stared vacantly out the window, not even out the window he was just staring into nothing, he looked like half his brain was missing and the other half had been fried.

Adam wasn't expecting this shell of Craig and obviously neither was Alexandra, somehow though the sight of Craig, weak and pathetic, boosted her confidence as she walked into the room and across to the bed, she sat on the edge near Craig and looked at him.

"Hey Craig." She spoke softly.

Craig took a few seconds to register the fact that Alexandra was there, when he did he looked at her inquisitively, like a baby meeting a stranger for the first time.

"Do, do I know you lady?"

"You do Craig, I was your daughter for 15 years, my name is Alexandra."

Craig shook his head. "No, I, I never had any children."

"I know, but for 15 years you raised me. Do you remember?"

"No, no."

"Do you remember Jane, your wife Jane?"

Craig shut his eyes tightly as he tried to remember.

"Craig, Jane died. We buried her yesterday, I thought you'd want to know."

Craig opened his eyes and shook his head even more. "No, no Jane, no Jane."

Alexandra was getting visibly angry. "You really don't remember anything do you?"

Craig continued shaking his head, he looked at the floor, he seemed like he was going to burst into tears.

"You don't remember the shit you put her through, all the insults, all the beatings? You don't remember what you did to me?"

Craig looked up, his eyes met with Alexandra's. For the first time in their lives she held power over him. Craig stared at her eyes, trying desperately to remember where this strange girl knew him from and what did he do to her.

"How dare you forget, what gives you the right to forget all the shit you put me through? I have to live with that, I can't forget."

"I'm sorry, I don't know who you are."

"You fuckin do, you ruined my childhood, you used and abused me for your own sick, perverse needs. You fuck me up you sick cunt."

Craig was crying now, out of fear, out of desperation, out of sheer terror. "I don't remember you, whatever you think I did I'm sorry."

Alexandra slapped Craig. "Fuck you. You know what you did to me, I remember everything, I wake up at night screaming because of you. I fuckin hate you."

She slapped him again, and again. By the third slap Adam decided to intervene. He stepped forward and took hold of Alexandra's hands, stopping her from hitting him again.

"Let, ugh, let go of me."

"Come on Lexi, leave him."

"NO. No I want this cunt to remember me."

"Lexi, he doesn't, he's terrified of you. Lexi he's pissed himself."

Alexandra looked down. Craig had pissed himself, she looked back up at the frail man before her. He was crying now, heavy tears running down his face, wet snot littered his nose and lips. His weak hands covered his face to avoid getting slapped again. Looking at him Alexandra suddenly realised what she was doing, it brought her to tears.

Saying nothing, Adam just guided her out the room, she was weak in the knees, disgusted at herself for what she had done. Adam told a nurse to check on Craig but pushed Alexandra forward so they could leave before questions were asked.

Once she was in the car the flood began, Alexandra just laid her head against the dashboard and cried. Adam let her, he just drove her back to his hotel, she was in no shape to go home. By the time they arrived at the hotel she had calmed down but she still upset, her whimpers pained Adam's heart but he stayed strong as he took her inside and up to his room. She sat on the edge of the sofa while he fixed her a Hot Chocolate.