Summer Love 1936

Story Info
Black woman loves white man in 1936 Mississippi.
4.4k words
4.6
55.9k
34
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I'd like to thank my friend mystery_meat for all of his help and for being the inspiration for my first Litrotica submission. I used the word "Color" inkeeping with the era that it is written about. Although my story is truly made up, But I would bet top dollar that somewhere in that Depression Era, this story could have been true. Love and attraction does not see a color line.

*

It was the summer of 1936. The Great Depression had hit our nation hard. People were barely making ends meet. Mississippi didn't escape the hard times. The summer of 1936 was the worst yet for the cotton crop. The boll weevils and grasshoppers had feasted on the tender young plants, and the State was plagued with a terrible drought. Many of the families who had their roots buried deep in the South picked up what belongings they had left and moved North. Many were die hard Southerners and still did not want to believe that the South had lost the war, but the days of the lazy South were no more. No more did the mistress of the manner have servants to bring her lemonade as she entertained guests on the veranda. No more could the Master boast how the Southern boys were going to whip those damn Yankees and be back in time to plant the cotton for the new season. That was a time gone by. The Depression had become the great equalizer. Poverty knew no racial lines. Hunger saw no color. Illness did not discriminate.

John Calhoun was one of the most eligible bachelors in the South, and women would throw themselves shamelessly at him. His mother would frequently ask him when was he going to settle down, marry, and give her the grandchildren that she longed for. John told her someday, but at the time, he was too busy taking care of the dry good stores. John was a good man. Many times he would give credit to different families, knowing he might not get the money back. However, the families always found a way to repay him. If not with money, they would come and do repairs on the house, or help with the planting and harvesting of the crops. The ladies would make clothes for John's family, which he would accept graciously and with humility.

Before the Civil War, the Calhoun plantation was one of the richest in the state of Mississippi, and produced the best cotton plants. John's great, great grandfather has came upon a method of mixing different cotton plants together to make a bulb of cotton that was three time larger than the regular bulb and much softer. This type of cotton he named "Southern Silk". Unfortunately, old Master Calhoun took that secret to his grave. However, the wealth that he had amassed provided well for his family, even after the Civil War. Old man Calhoun had invested his money in dry good stores across the South.

Melody, her great aunt Tee Tee, and her daughter Cambria, lived on two acres of land that was allotted to her from John's family. As long as even Tee Tee could remember, somebody from their family had been in the service of the Calhoun family. Tee Tee was still the cook for the family, even though she was advanced in years. Her mind was still as sharp as the knives she used to gut the hogs at slaughter time, and no one, black or white, could hold a candle to the dishes that she made. Although Melody tried to be the cook that her great aunt was, she still fell short.

Tee Tee would tell her, "Child, it just takes time. When the dish is right, you will feel it."

Tee Tee was also teaching Cambria how to cook. She was a beautiful child - half white, half black. Melody loved her more than life itself. Cambria was in school and was at the top of her class.

Tee Tee would often say, "That child did not get her cooking skill from her Mama, but at least she did get the hunger for book knowledge from her."

They had a nice, homey little cabin that was in back of the main house. John's father had paid to have a well dug close to their cabin, so that Melody did not have so far to carry the water. With Tee Tee's advancing age she was not strong enough to do it anymore.

The cabin had two rooms. The bedroom had two large beds. One was for Tee Tee, and Melody and Cambria shared the other bed. In the other room was a table with four chairs. They kept a place for Tee Tee's deceased husband, who'd passed on many years earlier. Melody loved him dearly. He had been the only father figure that she had ever known. Also inside the room were two soft, over-stuffed chairs, and a small table. On the table was a Bible from which Tee Tee had taught Melody to read. Melody had taught Cambria to read from that same Bible. In the corner was the only thing that the small family owned which was store bought. It was a radio which John's father had given to them. The radio had been a Christmas gift from a few years earlier. At night after dinner, Melody, Tee Tee and Cambria would sit and listen to the radio broadcast. They liked the "Jack Benny Show" and "Amos and Andy".

Melody had brothers and sisters who had left the South, bound for the "Land of Milk and Honey", which was the North. They had tried to get her to come with them, but she knew that Tee Tee was to old to make the trip. Besides, Mississippi was all that Melody had ever known, even though she did long to see other places.

On that particular July morning, John was preparing for his trip to New Orleans to check on one of his father's stores. Looking out a window, he saw Melody working out in the field. He had often wondered why she never married. She was a fine looking woman, and far smarter than any woman he had ever known, black or white. Also, John respected Melody's devotion to her family. As he gazed at her, the idea struck him to offer to take Melody with him.

When he approached Melody with the idea, she just laughed and said "Thank you Mr. John, but I could never go and leave Tee and Cambria by themselves."

John told her that he had arranged for Sister Lilian, and Sister Amanda to come and stay while she was gone. Sister Amanda would bring her granddaughter, Ruthie, for Cambia to play with. Melody told him that she would think it over.

Later that evening, Melody told Tee Tee about John's offer.

Tee Tee said, "Child, go! You have never been off this land. Go and see something new and different. Me and Cambria will be fine without you for a few nights."

The next day, Melody saw John and told him that she would go with him. That night, she ironed her best dresses; ones that she and Tee Tee had made by hand. She shined her Sunday shoes so that they glistened brightly. Inwardly she was so excited that she could hardly hold a thought in her head.

Tee Tee arose early the next morning and prepared a basket lunch of fried chicken, biscuits with homemade peach jam, and the one delicacy that John could not resist - her teacakes. John would often tell Tee Tee that her teacakes were so good, that the Lord waited until the seventh day to make them his greatest creation.

Tee Tee would tell him, "Boy, if you blasphemed the Lord, I will take a switch to your hind quarters." She meant it, but it gave her joy to make them for John. Secretly in her heart, she would smile.

It was still early morning when John finished packing the car. He closed the trunk, moved to the passenger door, and held the car door open for Melody, a slight smile on his face.

"Thank you kindly, Mr. John," Melody returned his smile as she climbed inside. It made John feel warm inside.

As John got behind the steering wheel, he smiled and said, "I'm glad you decided to come."

Melody smiled and replied, "I'm glad you asked me." Each felt the magnetism within the car. Each tried in vain to pretend it wasn't there.

Tee and Cambria were in good hands with Miss Lilian and Miss Amanda. They traveled a good distance that day. Very few families had cars. Most were happy if they had a horse and buggy. Melody enjoyed the countryside. It was the first time that she had set foot outside the state of Mississippi. They feasted on the fried chicken and the biscuits. John ate all of the teacakes. He tried to leave some for Melody, but they were just too tasty.

John told Melody about his travels to Europe. After college, his father sent him there for a year. His father thought that all fine young men should have a vast knowledge of the world. John described to Melody many of the sights that he had seen in Europe, and described the delicious foods that he'd tasted. In her mind, Melody painted a picture as vivid as if she were there herself. She could almost taste the food.

The evening sky was turning purple, when they pulled into the gravel drive of a house. John told Melody not to worry, because this was a home which belonged to his family. They would be staying here for the night. John knew that no hotel would let Melody stay in one of their rooms.

As John entered, he turned on the lights. Because it had been closed up all year, the house had a musty smell, but Melody did not mind. John took her bag and put it in the upstairs bedroom next to his. He then showed her around the house. The room that he saved for last was the library. When he opened the door and Melody saw all of the books, she almost fainted dead away. She could not imagine that so many books could belong to one family. John told her that before they left, she could pick out as many books as she would like. She especially wanted to take a few books with pictures of exotic places in the world, for Cambria to see. Melody imagined that Cambria would love reading to Tee Tee about strange and exciting places.

John left Melody in the library to browse the books. After firing up the coal boiler so that they would have hot water, John went out on the porch to enjoy the warm night air. He sat down and looked up at the stars in the dark sky. It seemed as though they were diamonds, scattered against a black sea.

A short time later, Melody joined John on the porch. John could see that she was lost in thought. He knew that her thoughts were back with Tee Tee and Cambria. John knew the three words that would bring her back to the here and now.

John whispered, "Homemade ice cream."

Melody looked up and smiled.

"I'll be right back. Don't go away," John said as he turned toward the kitchen.

"Don't worry. I don't even know where in tarnation we are," Melody laughed after him.

A few moments later, John returned from the kitchen with two dishes of peach ice cream.

Melody said, "Thank you, Mister John."

Before she could say another word, John said, "Please, I'm not Mister John. Just plain John."

Melody chuckled and said "Thank you, just plain John."

To John, Melody's laughter was like a symphony conducted on angel's wings. John knew that colored people had little to laugh about. It was 1936 and little had changed in Mississippi. Colored people knew their place, and very few, if any, ever stepped out of their place. A colored woman might fare a little better if she was light-skinned, pretty, and had nice hair. Colored men knew to say, 'Yes Sir' and 'No Sir', even if the white people were younger than they were. Colored men were still a threat. From the times of slavery, the myth of the animalistic, super-human, sexual prowess of the colored man still haunted some white men. And yes, white women, from time to time, still searched out the ever willing colored man to slake their desires for the taste of dark meat. Some things hadn't changed since the 1800's.

Since they had been teenagers, John would inconspicuously gaze at Melody whenever he could. Secretly he longed to touch her soft brown skin. He loved the way that her jet-black braids cascaded down her back, stopping at her waist. She had a behind that was round and full, unlike most white women. She had the curves of a real woman. Time my have widened the road a little bit, but the curves were still just as dangerous. Melody's eyes were an almond shape, and were as black as coal. When she smiled, her eyes shined with a sensuality that shook John down to his core. Despite all the adversity Melody had faced, John saw in her a quiet dignity and humble self-confidence. John had often imagined what it would be like to kiss Melody's soft, full lips. Those thoughts would bring about an urgent stirring deep inside of his loins. He would feel his cock growing hard. Many times, he had sought the privacy of his own room to relieve himself to thoughts of slowly, gently, pushing himself deep into Melody. The feel of his hard, thick meat at the tight center of her being. Imagining forbidden ecstasy with his ebony angel had been the source of many orgasms over the years.

Melody noticed that John was deep in thought. She took the empty ice cream dishes into the house, washed them at the sink, and put them in the cupboard. It was getting late and they had to get up early to continue on their way.

After calming himself following his secret, forbidden thoughts, John came into the house. He found Melody in the library.

John said softly, "We should turn in for the night, so we can get any early start in the morning."

John lingered in the tub of warm bath water for a few extra moments. It felt good to wash the dirt of the day from his tanned skin. After bathing, John rinsed out the tub, and drew a hot bath for Melody. He then wrapped a towel around himself and went to his bedroom. Finally, he laid naked on the bed, and allowed the cool night breeze to evaporate the moisture from his skin. He ran his fingertips over his erection, knowing that Melody was just down the hall.

For Melody, bathing without having to haul water to the cabin from the well, and then heat it up on the stove, was a rare luxury. She was strong and hard work was all that she had ever known in her life. Considerate John had found some roses scented soap, for her to bathe with. Melody thought that this surely is what it must be like to be a queen in a castle.

The cool breeze soothed Melody's soul, but thoughts of John inflamed her heart. A black woman with a white man? Those were forbidden desires in 1936 Mississippi. She laid back in the tub. The suds from the hot water covered the peaks of her dark, hard nipples. She closed her eyes and imagined John standing next to the tub, naked, handsome, truly an ivory dream. In the past, Melody had seen John without his shirt on, and longed to run her hands over his muscular body. She imagined his thick, strong, ivory manhood, beckoning her to wrap her full moist lips around it, and feel it slide down her throat. She could taste the pre-cum as it seeped into her mouth. She imagined making love in the bath tub with her white lover. Awakening from her fantasy, Melody realized that her right hand was gently rubbing her pussy. Melody felt her cheeks flush of embarrassment. She had been taught that these were the type of thoughts that a wanton woman would have, but Melody loved her taboo dreams about John. The combination of the warm water, the fragrance of the soap, and her fantasy was intoxicating. Her inhibitions about interracial sex were melting away. She lingered in the tub to savor the feeling.

Melody dried off and wrapped a large towel around herself. She went into her bedroom, put on her nightgown, and laid down across the bed. After saying a prayer for the well-being of Cambria and Tee Tee, Melody was ready to enjoy a good night's sleep. My, My, My, she thought, a bed all to herself. Surely Heaven was like this. Even with fantasies of John drifting through her mind, Melody was tired and quickly fell asleep.

A loud clap of thunder jolted Melody awake. The rain splattered against the window in huge drops. A bright flash of lightning and a loud clap of thunder caused Melody to spring from her bed. She clicked on the dim lamp and then opened the door, intending to find John. He was standing there about to knock, clothed only in an undershirt and boxer shorts.

"I came to see if you were alright," John said. "A thunderstorm in a strange place can be powerful scary."

Standing over six feet tall John was a towering pillar of comfort. Melody fell into his arms. She felt as though she could stand there forever in those wonderful strong, safe arms.

"Thank you, John," Melody whispered, her head against his chest.

Melody's nightgown was white and plain, except for a little embroidery along the high neckline. The fragile gown was worn thin from so many washings that it barely held in Melody's breasts. John could feel the swell of her erect nipples against his chest. His body was beginning to betray him. Melody felt a bulge growing against her stomach. Melody's pulse beat fast from the thoughts that she was having. She could feel the wetness seeping down her thighs. The lips of her feminine flower were starting to swell with the need to feel John inside of her.

The thunderstorm was beginning to move away. The rumble of thunder was more distant, and the lightning came in intermittent flashes. The only sounds were the rain against the window and the breathing of the soon to be lovers. At that moment, it didn't matter that the couple was of different races and different economic standing. Their inhibitions had washed away with the rain.

John lowered his lips to Melody's. The thought of resisting him never entered her mind as she met his kiss with her own matched desire. He held her tightly in his arms, wanting to capture this moment forever. Melody could feel her need for him rapidly growing. John sensed this. He picked her up, carried her to the bed, and gently laid her down. His hands shook as he slowly unbuttoned her gown. Her breast, fully ripe, shone like brown velvet in the dim light. His straight white teeth bit Melody's hard, dark nipple. She gave a yelp of deep pleasure more than of pain. Her soft, brown skin yielded to John's touch. As John's tongue caressed her nipple, Melody pulled John's undershirt up to his armpits. John stopped licking her just long enough to allow its removal. Melody ran her dark hands over his bare ivory torso while he licked, sucked, and fondled her firm breasts.

John started to kiss down the length of Melody's body, until he reached her wet pussy. The scent of her feminine flower aroused John even more. He ran his fingertips through the soft, curly, black pubes of Melody's full bush. She moaned when he ran his tongue up and down her moist slit. When John's tongue caressed her clit, Melody's body shuddered with pleasure. She looked down her nude body at the handsome white face pressed between her ebony thighs. The lower third of his face wasn't visible as it moved against her pussy. His nose brushed through her dark muff. His eyes were gazing into hers. Melody moaned again when she felt two long fingers slide inside her pussy. Melody had never experienced such intense pleasure before. John was clearly well-schooled in pleasuring a woman, and it wasn't long before Melody climaxed all over his face. Her body shook as the orgasm swept through her. Knowing he'd made her cum, John moved upward and pressed his lips to Melody's. She could taste her juice on his face.

Melody whispered into John's ear, "John, I could give you pleasure, the same way that you did to me."

Melody could feel John's erection pressing hard against her through his shorts. She wanted those shorts to be off immediately.

"Lay on your back," Melody whispered.

John did as instructed. Melody hooked her fingers into the waistband of his shorts and pulled them off. She gasped in surprise at the sight of his hard member. The ivory hard-on was long and thick, with bulging veins, and a large mushroom. Melody gazed at the pale boner, curled her fingers around it and moaned softly, "Ummm..."

John's heart almost leapt out of his body. Before John could either comply or deny, Melody's full, loving lips were wrapped around John's enormous white cock. Her tongue snaked around the ivory hard-on deep within of her mouth. Melody enjoyed seeing him writhe with pleasure due to her skillful mouth. Melody knew that sucking a man's dick would brand her as a "Jezebel". No nice lady would ever put her lips on a man's private parts, but she loved pleasing John. That night, she proudly wore the title of "Jezebel". Melody held the pale shaft with her dark fingers, and ran her tongue all over the stiff vanilla cock. She then began to slide the long, white rod in and out of her mouth rapidly. The more John moaned, the harder Melody worked to make him cum. She could feel him start to jerk and throb in her mouth. Before long, John thrusted deeper into her throat and emptied a load of warm cum into Melody's welcoming mouth. John felt like he might lose consciousness as he squirted into his ebony beauty's talented mouth. Melody swallowed eagerly, and then licked the ivory erection clean.

12