TGI Chronicles Pt. 2 Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Just then, Tim came through the French doors, carrying a bunch of tulips and daffodils. He laid them on the table.

"Are they for me?" asked Beth as she leant up to give him a kiss as he leant over her.

"Yes, but don't get carried away. They were buy one bunch get one bunch free in the High Street. They're a special offer token of my love." He looked at me, "And what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Oh. I just dropped by to tell you that I've made up my mind about Davinia." I looked straight at Beth as I spoke, "I've decided that I can cope. You don't have to move her." Beth just smiled at me.

"Good. I'm glad about that." Tim slapped my shoulder.

"And I've invited Dave to stay for lunch." announced Beth. "I thought we might try our first barbeque of the year. And I've got some steak that I brought home yesterday. It's Aberdeen Angus from Devry Farm just south of here, all organic. Just his sort of thing."

"And I just can't say no to your wife, Tim" I said.

Epilogue

The next weekend, we gathered in the Church for Tim and Beth's renewal of their wedding vows. I sat with Alice, and I noticed Davinia sitting a couple of rows away. In the front pews were two middle aged couples, who I assumed were Tim and Beth's parents. But there were two guys in their twenties sitting up there too. Alice guessed that it was Beth's brother and his partner.

Beth had an interesting prayer which Alice told me, Beth had composed herself with some help from the Minister. It was spoken by herself alone, and sought forgiveness for her breaking her vows before, seeking and accepting, forgiveness from both Tim and God.

The vows were much the same as usual, as far as I could see. Except that Beth was old fashioned enough to promise to Love, Honour and Obey.

The minister had an unusual little speech, he quoted from Captain Corelli's Mandolin, I had to check it out when I got home. It seemed to sum up something that I was only just beginning to appreciate, and was no where near managing to achieve, and I was so jealous of those who did find it:

When you fall in love it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then it subsides and when it subsides you have to make a decision, you have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part, because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the desire to mate every second of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining he is kissing every part of your body. No, don't blush, I am telling you some truths. This is just 'being in love,' which any of us can convince ourselves we are in. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away. It doesn't sound very exciting does it? But it is.

That's what I saw in Tim and Beth. And I knew that I had only been 'in love' with Davinia, and I felt sad that I'll never know what would have happened when it had burnt away.

Afterwards, back at the Bullard's, it was a friendly, informal gathering. At one point, I was chatting to Tim who looked very smart, he had a new suit and a bright red tie. Alice joined us as I asked Tim whether red was really the right colour for a wedding.

"I'm marrying my scarlet woman, so yes. It was a private joke."

Alice looked Tim up and down, "I don't think I've ever seen you before with a matching handkerchief in your breast pocket. In fact I don't think you had one in Church."

"Yes I did, it must have slipped down, that's all." said a slightly anxious Tim,

"Well, it's slipping again." said Alice, and she pulled the handkerchief slightly and it came right out of the pocket.

"Look Dave! It looks as if Beth isn't quite fully dressed." she said, as she discretely showed me a little bright red g-string.

"Oh, Tim," I said, "and so soon after the minister gave us that reading about love after the being in love bit has burnt away." In mock disgust, and total delight.

Tim smiled. "Well it hasn't totally burnt away quite yet! And now that you two know that, keep it quiet. Beth will never forgive me if anyone else finds out." and Alice and Tim between them arranged the little g-string to look like a silk handkerchief in his pocket again.

After chatting a little longer, we broke up, with Tim reminding me that we had to spend all day Monday putting a presentation together on my organisation reforms for the Development Forum.

"Tim, on a day like today, and with a beautiful girl like Beth, who I know is both in love with you and loves you, and she's running around with no knickers on, I wouldn't be thinking about the Development Forum. Get real." I said with a smile and walked away.

Later I saw Davinia, "Have you come alone? Where's Drew?"

"I asked Tim if he could come. He said no. He said he didn't want any members of the department coming along, it might look like favouritism. But I think he really did it for you. But I can understand that." She smiled and kissed me on the cheek.

"We never got that Champagne dinner. Pity about that." I observed.

She looked at me, "Well, give it time. We may get to a point when we can do that. I hope we do."