Thank God for Irish Women Ch. 07

Story Info
From tragedy to a fairy tale.
12.3k words
4.7
2k
6
0

Part 7 of the 12 part series

Updated 04/29/2024
Created 03/12/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 7

Thursday Afternoon, May 20, 2010

The best use of our time that afternoon was to sit beside the pool and soak up the sun. The temperature was in the mid-80s and very pleasant with no wind... a rare day in Iowa that time of year. She wore her "conservative" blue bikini.

As we rubbed tanning lotion on each other, Mom walked out in her one-piece and robe to join us. She still had a youthful figure and the toned legs and arms of a competitive swimmer. After visiting a few minutes, she dove in and began swimming laps. The warm sun was perfect on our skin while we admired Mom's rhythmic strokes.

Late afternoon, Dad walked out and joined us. He had showered again to get the cow smell off. Mom must have swam 20 to 25 laps by then with only occasional short breaks.

Emily said, "Mom is in amazing shape. I don't think I could swim more than five or six laps, but she's like a machine."

Dad replied, "Yes, she is. Ever since I've known her, she's been a serious swimmer. She loves it and it keeps her in fine form."

"Matt told me she swam for Iowa State."

"She did. She swam the long distance events. Did he tell you she tried out for the U.S. Olympic Team when she was 17? Her time was just a half-second too slow in the 1500. In swimming at that level of competition, a half-second might as well be an hour.

"Matt, did you tell Emily about your expertise in karate?"

"No, I didn't want to bore her to death so soon," I replied.

Emily added, "He only told me he studied karate."

Neither of us wanted to mention the rest stop incident.

"He didn't tell you he's a second-degree black belt?"

"No. I had no idea. I guess that's pretty good?"

"It's very good. Mark is also a second-degree. They're very competitive if you haven't guessed by now."

"I imagined they were from some of the comments," she replied with a smile.

Mom took a break and came to sit beside us. She was breathing rapidly but still seemed to have good energy.

"Mom, I'm impressed. You swim as well now as you did years ago," I said.

"James was a sweetheart to have this built for me. It'll help keep me young."

Emily asked, "What do you do in the wintertime?"

"We're members of a YMCA, and I go there several times a week. If you're committed to staying healthy and fit, you can, but it's always hard work."

We continued to sun there until Dad reminded us that Cheryl and Mark were coming soon. We dispersed and quickly showered and dressed for dinner. Emily was a big help by cleaning my hair with a wet washcloth and shampoo, carefully keeping water away from the bandage.

Cheryl was in the kitchen talking with Mom as we entered. "Hey lady, it's great to see you," I said as we walked together to hug and kiss cheeks.

"Matt, I'm thrilled to see you. This must be Emily." The two smiled as they approached each other.

"Emily, this is Cheryl, the best thing that ever happened to my brother."

They hugged as Emily said, "I'm very excited to meet you, Cheryl. Mark and I have been talking all week, but it sounds as if you were the one keeping everyone informed of our prayer needs."

"Yes, we had a very busy prayer chain this week. Mom, Mrs. Lewis passed away yesterday."

"Aggie Dillon mentioned that when she brought the chicken. I'm glad her pain is over. She was such a lovely person."

Mom explained that Mrs. Lewis had colon cancer and had been near death for several weeks.

Cheryl continued, "The funeral is Monday. One of her sons lives in Alabama. The others are around here. Several ladies are preparing food and taking it over tomorrow and Saturday."

"Good. I'll fix a ham or turkey and take it," Mom said. "They have quite a few children and grandchildren; so many people will be gathering."

Cheryl said, "Emily, I understand you're from San Francisco but met Matt in Atlanta. I'd love to hear how that happened."

Mark and Dad walked in, and introductions were again made. Emily and Mark embraced as if they were old friends.

She was amazed. "Wow, they are identical twins. The resemblance is amazing."

I replied, "Yeah, but he's all muscled up and I'm prettier, right?"

Emily rolled her eyes, smiled and proclaimed, "Of course you are, sweetheart." Everyone laughed.

Mark responded, "Emily, I've no idea what you see in my brother. Maybe you can enlighten us over dinner." Everyone grinned, waiting for my response.

"The list is so long that two dinners are needed."

Mom replied, "Luckily, we have two planned so she can start tonight and finish Sunday." Everyone chuckled.

Mark and I walked to each other and hugged. "It's great to see you buddy. You had all of us worried to death."

"Yeah, I know. Defending my girlfriend's honor is dangerous."

"Well, that's not the version of the story she told me."

I frowned and looked at Emily, pretending to be mad. "Which version of the story did you tell?"

"The true version."

"Which is?"

"That a guy assaulted me in a dance club. I slapped the you-know-what out of him, and he took it out on you with a gun in the parking lot."

"Well, didn't I defend your honor somewhere along the line?"

"Not that I remember. One of the other guys and a woman did, but you stood, and watched." Everyone giggled.

Dad commented, "Smart man. Let volunteers do the hard work." Everyone laughed again.

I corrected the story. "Now, the fact is, when my buddy Clint and I got to her, it was over. Emily and another woman did beat up the guy and the boy she was dancing with decked him. Once he hit the floor, Emily was on him like a wildcat. He was so drunk he could hardly stand up anyway. The security guys had to drag him out.

Afterwards, we walked around to talk to the other couples and I was beside Emily, defending her honor the entire time."

Dad replied, "Good man."

Emily smirked and admitted that I was beside her the rest of the night but didn't realize I was defending her honor. We hugged and kissed as we should in front of our family.

The ladies went to work pulling the food from the fridge and warming up those dishes that needed it. The men grabbed beers and walked out to the patio. We had guy things to talk about.

Mark said, "She sure is a pretty thing. But, what strikes me is her personality. She's engaging and very self-confident."

Dad added, "You should've seen her with the church ladies this afternoon. Impressive, and the ladies were captivated. Emily makes friends as quickly as anyone I've met."

Mark asked, "What's the plan? You two serious?"

"Yep. We are. I plan to propose to her this weekend."

"You're joking!" Mark exclaimed.

"No. It's for real. She's the one. We've talked about marriage already."

"My goodness, Matt! You've known her for what, three weeks?"

"Actually, a little over two."

"Aren't you rushing it a bit?"

Dad added, "Emily told your mom that her boyfriend was murdered early this month in Atlanta. Matt happened along and helped her. They've been together ever since."

I responded, "It's a lot more complicated than that. You'll just have to wait until my story is published to read the full account. It was a miracle that should never have happened. But it did. We'll wait for a year or so to get married."

"And she's willing to commit to that?"

"Seems to be."

"What do her parents say?"

"They're not in her life. Her mom was killed three years ago in a traffic accident, and her dad left the family when she was five."

Dad said, "If you're going to propose, you'll need a ring."

Mark added, "I hear Walmart has a big sale on." We laughed.

"I'll go to Kay Jewelers in West Des Moines. Dad, you've been there several times."

"Most of your mom's good jewelry came from them."

"That's where I got Cheryl's ring and other jewelry," Mark added.

"Emily won't let me drive without her. Could we make up a story about going somewhere and you drive me over there?"

Mark replied, "Already got one. Tractor parts we ordered are in. The dealer is not far from there. I can drop you off and pick you up later."

"Can we do it tomorrow morning?"

"Sure."

Dad advised, "If you want to bring the ring home tomorrow, you'll need to have the bank work with them to guarantee your check."

Mark replied, "We can stop by the bank on the way."

We heard the door open, and saw Emily walk out and say, "Dinner's ready."

Dad and Mark walked inside while Emily held me back. She leaned into me and whispered, "I really like Cheryl. She will be a dear friend. Your whole family is special."

The table discussion was lively and entertaining with many favorite family stories retold, some of which Cheryl hadn't heard. Before dessert was served, Emily asked to be excused and went quickly to the guesthouse. When she returned, I quietly asked whether she was okay. She nodded.

It was almost 10:00 when Mark and Cheryl called it a night. Mark said he would pick me up as planned. Cheryl and Emily embraced and kissed the other's cheek before they left.

We said goodnight to Mom and Dad and walked to the guesthouse. Emily wanted to talk before going to bed, which became a habit in our relationship. She took a beer from the fridge and sat with me on the sofa.

"While you were outside with the guys, we talked about Atlanta. Cheryl wanted to know how we met. I told her the basic outline of what happened. She was shocked; and you know us girls, we shed a few tears."

"Mom and Cheryl told me about you and Mark and the character and leadership traits you have. Cheryl said Mark is the perfect partner and supporter and that she was sure you would be the same. It sounded to me as if she adores him. I know I adore you."

"You're sweet. Mark and Cheryl have been married a little over two years, and it was hard on them when he was deployed."

"Matt, do you think we're rushing things too much in our relationship?"

"Why do you ask?"

"It seems as if your mom and Cheryl think we are. They haven't said that directly, but I get that feeling from a few things they said."

"Emily, no one can make that judgment except us. What do you think?"

"I think we're doing the right thing. I have fallen in love with you, and it's real. I know how real love feels. My heart beats faster when I see you. My mind is on you almost all the time. I was sick with worry the three days you were unconscious. Your mom was the one who understood my fear, and she knew I was in love with you. I know what we're doing is right and that we were destined to be together. I loved Patrick with all my heart, but God had other plans for me. I don't know why and may never know. But I believe it. What do you think?"

"Emily, it's as if my world revolves around you. I'm excited to be near you and to talk with you. You're beautiful, both on the outside and inside. I think you understand the true values in life better than I and have experienced and survived tragic events that I can't imagine. Your inner strength astonishes me.

"But even with that mental toughness, there's a tenderness and compassion that make you even more amazing. Everyone has commented on how you interact with people, even with total strangers. You feel for people. For your young age, that is rare. When I lie next to you at night, I often reach over and touch you just to be sure I'm not dreaming, that you truly are next to me. I cannot get close enough to you, and it's never been like this with any woman. God brought us together, sweetheart, and has given us the wisdom to realize it."

"Matt, I agree. I love you completely and without reservation."

We kissed with very real passion.

"Are you ready for bed?" I whispered.

She smiled. "Yes. It's been a long day."

We slipped under the bed covers and cuddled.

"Matt, am I as good at making love as your other girlfriends?"

"What brought on that question?"

"You said Linda Sue was great and that Barbara was too."

"They were. But you're miles ahead of them. I'd trade a hundred nights with them for just one with you."

"Awww, you're sweet even when you're exaggerating. Sweetheart, my period started earlier tonight. That's why I had to rush out so quickly. I'm sorry but no hanky panky for a few days."

"I knew it had to be coming; at least I hoped it was."

"Don't worry. The pill hasn't failed me yet."

"Sometimes it does so we need to be aware of your monthly cycle and not take chances during your most fertile period."

"I'll begin to watch it and warn you ahead of time."

Emily enjoyed cuddling by tucking her back against my chest and stomach and nestling her bottom against my loins. She pulled my arm across her. I always cupped one or both breasts and teased the nipples until they were hard. Tonight, she placed my hand over her mons. With her hand on mine, we rubbed her.

After a few minutes of direct stimulation, her breathing became ragged and a quiet orgasm quickly followed. She moaned and jerked several times and let out a loud sigh as it passed.

Moments of silence followed before she whispered, "I love you, Matt."

"I love you too, Emily."

Friday, May 21, 2010

We woke together. It had been a quiet night.

"Good morning young lady," I mumbled.

"Good morning, kind sir." Emily yawned with her hand over her mouth as she groaned and stretched to get the kinks out. As she stretched, I reached to fondle her breast, but she playfully slapped my hand away and mumbled, "Down boy."

"You seemed to sleep well."

"Mmmm, yes. How about you?"

"Finally, a real bed and no nurses coming in every hour. It was wonderful, but the headache is bothering me." I yawned which caused Emily to yawn again.

"You took the medication, didn't you?"

"Yes, but I want to start cutting back on that. What are your plans for today?"

"We're having our hair and nails done this morning. I must look presentable at church."

"You will, even without that."

"Thanks, but I'd feel better meeting all your friends. We may also have lunch and do some shopping."

"Mark is picking me up at 9:30. We're going into West Des Moines to the John Deere dealership. We'll probably run around and stop for coffee somewhere so don't worry about us if we're gone a good while. We might even have lunch."

"Call once you know your schedule and maybe you could meet us somewhere for lunch," she said.

"That'd be fun."

"Did the guys get all the cows treated yesterday?"

"Yeah, it took them the entire day but that's just what it takes to catch, treat, and vaccinate that many."

We dressed for the day, walked to the main house and into the kitchen. Mom and Dad were sitting at the table, drinking coffee, and reading the newspaper. Emily greeted them as we walked through the door.

Mom replied, "Good morning, Emily. Matt, you look good this morning."

Dad added, "Emily looks much better."

I replied, "Gee, thanks Dad. I feel fairly good. The headache is much better, and we slept well. I like the bed you put out there."

Mom responded, "After we bought it, we slept there a couple of nights and were pleased."

I asked Dad, "What are your plans today?"

"Tommy, Brad and I are taking the ATVs and riding the fence lines on the north side. Although we don't have livestock in those fields, some of the neighbors do and we want to keep them out of our corn and hay fields. It'll probably take all day to ride that section and make any needed repairs."

"Are the cattle fine this morning?" Emily asked.

"It'll take a few days to see any improvement. Tommy called this morning after the milking and said they were doing good. He found and segregated four others with symptoms. We'll have to dump the milk for the next few days until the medication and antibiotics clear their system. The dairy truck will still come and take samples and let us know when they'll buy the milk again."

Emily asked, "Dad, does the medicine give the milk a bad taste?"

Dad replied, "It can give it a bitter taste. The big problem is that many people are sensitive to antibiotics. Milk for human consumption has to be clean of all that."

"Mom, I need to get my stitches out Monday. Can I go to one of the doc-in-a-box places to get that done?"

"Don't know why not. There's one just this side of that Burger King we occasionally visit. You and Mark will drive by there this morning. Maybe you can stop and check."

"Good idea."

"What do you two want for breakfast?"

Emily replied, "I just want cereal and fruit." I agreed.

We prepared our bowls and returned to the table. Dad left for the barn after finishing his coffee.

While we were eating, Emily said, "Mom, I need to stop by a grocery or pharmacy while we're out this morning. It's that dreaded time of the month, and I need some supplies."

"Sure dear. Can I give you some from my stash?"

"No, I'm good for a couple of days."

"Where are you planning to go this morning?" I asked Mom.

"We're going to Amy's to get our hair done and to that little shop in the mall to get our hands and toes done. I have a standing appointment with Amy every Friday, and she was nice enough to add Emily this morning.

"After that, we'll probably do some shopping. I have a bracelet that broke and will probably drop that off at Kay Jewelers sometime this morning."

I was stunned.

Mom stared at me. I guess my face showed frustration or something. "What's wrong," she asked.

"I felt a little pain."

"In your head?"

"Yeah, I guess it's a reminder that I'm not yet 100%." I lied, but I had to. Thankfully, I had a new thought. "Mark and I are going by there. The tractor place is just beyond Kay. I could take it for you."

"Oh! Thanks. That'd be nice." She probably knew I was going there for a ring and decided to press my panic button. That'd be something she'd enjoy doing.

I relaxed and finished my cereal.

****

It was a 30 minute drive into West Des Moines, and our first stop was the Wells Fargo Bank branch we used. Mike Emery, an old friend of our family, was the manager. He saw us walk in and came to greet us.

"Hey guys. Matt, I haven't seen you since last summer. What happened to your head, man?"

"Hey Mike, just a little accident. I get the stitches out Monday."

"Mark must have beat up on you again."

"Yeah, you know how we like to roughhouse."

"What can I do for you guys?"

"Can we step into your office?" I asked.

"Sure."

When seated, Mark said, "Lover boy here is going to propose to a lovely young lady this weekend. My money says she'll tell him to get lost." We chuckled.

"Congratulations Matt! A lady was able to rope you?"

"Yeah, I wasn't quick enough, I suppose.

"Mike, I need to buy a ring this morning and it's probably going to be an expensive one. I'm going to Kay Jewelers after this and choose one. I'll want to take it with me today. How can you help me so they'll know my check is good?"

"We have two options. What you can do is have them call me and I'll fax over a bank guarantee for whatever amount you negotiate. Or we can do a wire transfer into their account. The manager there is Steve Mitchell. He knows me."

"That's a big help."

"We do this for customers on occasion. With corn prices this high, our clients have more money to spend on jewelry."

"Mike, I appreciate it."

"And I appreciate your family's business."

We stood and shook hands before departing. Kay was only a mile away so we were there in a couple of minutes. Mark dropped me off and drove on to the tractor dealership. He'd be gone at least an hour. The dealership was well known as the place for local farmers to hang out and drink coffee.

When I walked inside, a nicely dressed young lady a few years older than me approached and asked whether she could help.

"Hi, I'm Matt Anderson and I'd like to look at engagement rings."

"Oh, congratulations! I'm Lisa Angelino. May I call you Matt?"

"Sure, Lisa."

She led the way over to a large display case and began to describe the various rings. Most were lovely but not what I wanted. After several minutes, she changed sales tactics.