Thank God for Irish Women Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Matt, what price range do you have in mind?"

"No particular range... but I want a special diamond. I've been looking on your company's website, and I'd like a three carat with F or better color and VVS2 or better clarity."

She stared at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Do you know how rare and expensive those are?"

"I said I've been on your website."

She broke into a broad smile. "Let me get our manager. Please stay right here."

In just a moment, an impeccably dressed older gentleman returned with Lisa.

"Mr. Anderson. I'm Steve Mitchell, the manager. I understand you're looking for a very nice diamond."

"Yes, Lisa has been helpful to show me your display but I want something better."

"Please come to my office. I'll have our loose larger diamonds brought from the safe."

While we waited, Steve asked, "Is your father James Anderson by any chance?"

"Yes. You know him?"

"I do. He's one of our best customers. When I first saw you, I thought you were Mark."

"We're twins. I've never been to this shop, but he and Dad come here often."

"Kathryn has a magnificent collection of jewelry by now."

"Oh that reminds me." I pulled out the broken bracelet. "She asked me to have you repair this. It looks as if this clasp must have caught on something and is bent."

"Lisa, can you take this back to Henry and tell him it's a rush job?"

"I'll be right back," Lisa said.

The security guard walked in with a cloth-covered tray. Under the cloth were dozens and dozens of little packets holding individual diamonds organized by size, color and clarity.

"Let's see whether you like any of these. Here is a 3.03 carat D VVS1. This is one of the best stones we've ever had here. Set in platinum, the cost would be $225,200."

He glanced at me and I didn't react, at least not too much.

"Now, here's a spectacular 3.14 carat F VVS2 which is the color and clarity you mentioned. It would be $138,000." Again, I didn't react.

"Here's a 2.88 carat F VVS2 for $121,000." I was stone faced.

"Let's keep going," he said. And we did for fifteen minutes.

I finally made a move. "Steve, let's go back to the 3.14 carat F VVS2 you showed me. I think it was the second one."

He searched through the packets and found it. I examined it carefully with a loupe. It was truly spectacular and glittered in the light like nothing I had seen. It almost seemed to glow.

"I'll give you $125,000 in cash for it, set in platinum with fully paid up insurance, certified appraisal, and lifetime cleaning and resetting as needed."

He swallowed hard. Lisa squirmed and looked very uncomfortable.

"I don't think we can do that, Matt."

"What can you do?"

He wrote a column of numbers on his desk pad and added them. "I can do $132,000 with those add-ons."

"No, that's still too high. My family does a lot of business with you. Surely that's worth a nice discount."

"I know, and I appreciate that. But, these high quality diamonds are hard to get and we never discount them that much."

"Okay, we tried. And I appreciate your time. I saw a wonderful stone like this on Tiffany's website and called their diamond expert yesterday. They've offered to send a person up from Kansas City with the one I saw and many others for me to choose from. Their prices were very good. I'll come back to you if I don't like what they have." I stood and offered my hand. All this was a bluff, of course.

He stood and shook hands but stared at me and pursed his lips. He didn't want to see me walk.

"Matt, before you leave, let me make a phone call to see what's possible. Lisa, can you take Matt to the back office for a cup of coffee?"

Lisa was shell-shocked. She could see that huge commission flying out the door and Tiffany grabbing it. Still, she forced a lovely smile and we exchanged pleasantries while she poured the coffee. By the time we walked the length of the store back to Steve's office, his door had opened and he smiled as I entered.

"Matt, if you can go to $127,500 we have a deal. My regional manager said that is as low as we can go. This is a spectacular diamond and your fiancée will be very happy."

"I can do that," I said. Lisa was ecstatic. I'd never seen a salesperson so happy.

"Thank you, Steve. I look forward to doing more business with you. In fact, as soon as my sister-in-law sees this stone, Mark may be in to see you."

Steve laughed. "I remember when he came in a few years ago. He was a little overwhelmed with all the choices and grades. But, he went home with a very nice diamond. Tell him, we'll do a current price exchange if he wants to upgrade."

"I will."

"I know you mentioned paying cash, but we can finance it for you if you'd like."

"No, I want to pay cash. I think you know Mike Emery over at Wells Fargo."

"Yes, I do."

"He's expecting a call from you, and he'll fax over the bank guarantee for my personal check or he will do a bank transfer into your account today."

"Your personal check is fine. Your family is well known to us, and I have no doubt about your ability to pay for this magnificent diamond."

I liked the way he was still hyping the product after I'd bought it! It was just in his blood, I guessed.

"Well, that's good. Can you have it set for me while I wait?"

"Lisa, take Matt to our display case and help him choose a setting. Tell Henry to drop everything and do it now. This ring is top priority."

An hour later, I walked out with the ring in an elegant gift-wrapped box, Mom's repaired bracelet, two pair of earrings, an 18k gold bracelet and the platinum wedding band that accompanied the engagement ring. I thought, based on her reaction to the iPad, it would be good to have a few surprise gifts on hand for Emily.

Mark was there when I bought the bracelet and earrings. He decided he should go home with new earrings for Cheryl. I didn't show him the ring. He might not have taken me home.

It was just after noon, and I called Emily to check on their plans.

"Hey Emily, where are you?"

"Hi Matt. We're just leaving the mall and thinking about lunch."

"Good, that's why I called. Mark and I are ready for lunch. Can we meet you somewhere?" There was a lull while Emily talked to Mom.

"Mom says that there's a very good restaurant on Jordan Creek Parkway called Bravo Cucina Italiano." Mark heard her and nodded his head.

"Mark knows it. We'll head over there now."

When we arrived, the ladies were already in the reception area. They looked great!

"I like your hair, sweetheart. You had it cut, I see."

"Yes. Amy took about three inches off and cleaned up the split ends."

"Mom, you changed yours. It looks nice," Mark said.

"Emily talked me into a different styling, and Amy agreed. I do think it looks better."

The receptionist escorted us to the table and introduced our server. After we ordered, I told Mom, "I have your bracelet in the truck. There was no charge for repairing it. Evidently, Dad is one of their best customers."

"James has been extremely generous over the years. I guess most of it did come from there."

As we talked during lunch, Mark mentioned that our church was planning to start a private Christian school for kindergarten through fourth grade. There had been general dissatisfaction with the direction the public schools were going, and several larger churches were starting private schools. That prompted discussion about schools and education generally and home schooling that so many parents were doing.

Emily asked, "Are there any teacher openings at these church schools?"

Mom replied, "I know our church is advertising. The problem is that most good, experienced teachers are in public schools and have very good benefits with rich pensions promised after they retire. The contracts are making it difficult for teachers to leave the union for these independent schools."

Emily replied, "Mom, Jodi just graduated from Kansas State with a degree in elementary education. She can't find a job around there because of all the school funding cuts. I know she's willing to move."

"Oh, let's tell her about the opportunity here. I was impressed by her when we met at the hospital."

We told Mark about Clint and Jodi, and how they had been such a big help to us. "Clint probably saved our lives by getting that drunk on the ground after he shot me. And Jodi was a great help to Emily during the time I was unconscious."

Mark asked, "What's Clint interested in doing?"

"He runs a feeder lot operation for a large farm outside Kansas City. He grew up on a farm like us."

"There's a feeder lot about ten miles west of our farm but I don't know whether they need help. Dad knows the man who owns it. Maybe he could check. At least Clint comes with the highest recommendation anyone could have."

"Mine?" I asked.

"No, Emily's." We all laughed at the obvious truth.

Mom suggested, "Emily, call Jodi, and see if she can come tomorrow evening and be here Sunday. She could meet the key people working on our school project. If Clint could come, even better. We never met him."

"Great idea. Thanks for inviting them." The smile on Emily's face was priceless.

After lunch, I reminded Mark that I needed to stop at the urgent care center and check on stitch removal services. That turned out to be no problem. Mom and Emily went shopping.

We were home mid-afternoon, and I went directly to our quarters to hide the jewelry. Mark unloaded the tractor parts and left to check on the dairy cattle.

A decorative pot sitting high up on a shelf was the perfect spot to hide the jewelry. After changing to swim trunks, I walked to the pool and relaxed.

****

I heard footsteps and turned to see Emily carrying several bags from various stores. She leaned down, kissed me and said, "They're coming."

"Clint and Jodi?"

"Yes!" she giggled. "I'm so excited. I called, and Jodi said they're both off Sunday. She must work tomorrow night so they'll come early Sunday morning and be here for breakfast. She was very excited about the opportunity. Gosh, I hope this works out."

"Me too."

"Mom called someone named Brenda, and she's also coming for lunch on Sunday with her husband. She's in charge of the teacher search that's underway."

"That's probably Brenda Olsen. They've been in the church a long time. I think she's a retired school principal."

"That must be right. Mom said she was a retired educator. So Sunday's lunch will be very important."

"Yes, we'll need to pitch in to help Mom."

"We will. Let me change and I'll come back."

****

The afternoon was again in the mid to upper 80's with only a light breeze blowing. We soaked up the sun for several hours.

Near dinnertime, we walked to the kitchen for beer. Emily was still in her swimsuit, but her cover-up was a conservative one. We found Dad in the family room, watching the early news. I asked, "Dad, do you want a beer?"

"Yeah, that'd be great. Thanks." I handed him mine and went for another.

"Were the fences in good shape?" Emily asked.

"Fairly good. We found several loose sections where it appeared cattle had been rubbing against the wire. We replaced a few rotten fence posts. An old oak tree had uprooted and was leaning against another one over the fence. We took it down and cut it up for firewood. Tommy and Brad will burn it next winter."

Emily said, "Dad, you heard me talking about Clint when you met Jodi at the hospital. They're coming here on Sunday so Jodi can apply for a teaching position in the new church school."

Dad replied, "Kathryn told me. I hope it works out for her."

Emily continued, "Clint is running a Black Angus feeder lot operation down near Kansas City."

"Yeah, I heard."

"From Mom?"

"Mom and Mark."

I replied, "Word gets around fast."

Dad smiled, "It does when Emily wants something done."

She and I chuckled. I asked, "Can you call the owner of the lot here and see if there are any openings?"

"Already have. He wants to meet Clint, and I'll take him Sunday afternoon."

Emily exclaimed, "YES!" then jumped up and went quickly to Dad, leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "You're the best, Dad. Thank you." He was amused.

"He and Jodi were a big help to you two. They deserve a chance."

Mom came down from the bedroom and walked in on our discussion. She had changed into casual clothes to prepare dinner.

Emily greeted her before asking to be excused to shower and dress. I stayed on a while longer to talk.

Mom asked, "Was your trip to Kay productive?"

"I told you I had your bracelet fixed. It's out in the guesthouse."

"James said you might be buying a ring today."

"Oh! Is that why you were pushing my buttons this morning about going there?"

She grinned. "Who me?"

"I thought so. That wasn't funny." But I smiled.

"So did you get one?"

"Maybe."

Mom thought for several moments before asking, "Are you sure you're not rushing matters? Don't get me wrong... I think Emily is wonderful. But, I worry about her being ready for a new relationship so soon."

Dad responded, "Kathryn, I knew I would eventually marry you two or three weeks after we began dating. I didn't propose for two years, but I knew you were the one."

"James, this is different. You had not just had the love of your life murdered... someone that you'd dated for years. Emily is in a very fragile state of mind. She's got to be. None of us know the pain that young girl is going through and has gone through these last few years. She's got to be scarred from it. I know I'd be."

Dad responded, "You're right, as always, honey. But she's a different kind of person. She shows a feminine, soft, friendly personality to the world but I sense she's tough as steel on the inside. I'm not sure I've ever met someone like her."

I replied, "Mom, I was also concerned. We've talked about that, and I was very worried about her ability to turn almost on a dime and begin a new relationship. But, she swears she's capable of doing it and has had to do it before. Did she tell you about her stepdad?"

"She did. I'd like to strangle that man."

I continued, "Emily lived through that and found refuge with Patrick. She lost a girlfriend to a drug overdose and another friend to AIDS. She's seen the tragedy of untimely death many times. Emily is a very strong person."

"I saw that at the hospital. Sure, she cried for you just as I did; but she was very quick to challenge the nurses and doctors if she didn't think they were doing enough for you. She refused to leave your side for the first 18 hours. I forced her to go to the hotel Monday night to rest. She had only one hour of sleep between Sunday morning and Monday evening."

"She stayed beside you for the next 30 hours only going to the restroom. No matter what I, your dad or Jodi said, she wouldn't leave your side. When you woke, she had just left for the restroom. I've no doubt she's 100% devoted to you."

"Do you two think I'm being foolish for proposing so soon?"

Dad replied, "I don't. Matt, it'll be at least a year before you're married. That's plenty of time to confirm your love for each other. If there's any uncertainty in your commitment at the end of this year, then you can postpone the wedding until another time. Now, if you were telling me that you wanted to get married next week, I'd be very concerned. Kathryn, what do you think?"

Mom thought for a few moments. "I agree with your father. The proposal is not as final as a wedding. Many couples back out of engagements and are wiser for it. It's harder to undo a wedding. Matt, sweetheart, please don't misunderstand us. We adore Emily. We would be delighted to have her in our family, and I think she would bring joy to all of us. Your dad and I just want what's best for you and for her."

"I understand. I love you both and respect your views. Emily and I have a lot to talk about. I may or may not propose to her this weekend. We'll see."

Mom concluded, "Whatever decision you two make, we'll support 100% and we'll never, never say I told you so."

I hugged them both, kissed Mom and left to shower and dress.

****

The steaks were excellent. Dad grilled them perfectly, as usual, and we stuffed ourselves. Mom had fixed au gratin potatoes, asparagus and a wonderful blueberry pie. Emily and I thought it was the best we'd had.

The table talk was about the shopping the girls had done, about Clint and Jodi and how great dancers they were, and about Jackie, Jodi's mom, working to pay off Jodi's college loans.

Later in the evening, Mom, Emily, and I sat by the pool and enjoyed the pleasant evening. Dad had his favorite TV comedy to watch.

Emily asked, "Mom, what can I do to help get ready for Sunday?"

"I've decided to bake a ham for Mrs. Lewis' family and will do a second one for Sunday. Matt likes my mac and cheese and green bean casserole. You can help me do those."

"We can also vacuum and dust for you," I added.

"That'd be a big help. What are you two planning for tomorrow?"

I responded, "I want to take Emily over to the lake and show her the marsh we have. It's very pretty this time of year with all the wild flowers."

Mom smiled. "That'd be nice. Your dad and I go down there occasionally, and it's always been my favorite spot on the farm. We actually were thinking about building the house on a hill overlooking the lake but decided the driveway would have to be so long that it'd be too difficult to maintain, especially in the winter. Also, the perfect spot would be in the best cornfield we have. I think that was the real reason James didn't want to put it there."

"I like how the house sits here. The slight rise it's on gives it a grand appearance as you approach," I said.

We continued talking and enjoying the evening air for another hour. Emily gave me several glances and small head jerks that indicated she was ready to go inside. I took the hint, and we said goodnight to Mom before walking to the guesthouse.

Taking beers from the fridge and relaxing in front of the TV, we watched the late news. She laid her head in my lap, and I stroked her hair.

"You seem kind of down tonight, Emily. What's wrong?"

"I realized tonight that everything was going well in my life again. I'm in a loving relationship, I have many good friends and have been accepted by a wonderful family. I don't have a family but yours has adopted me, it seems. I know I should be happy, but I'm scared."

"Why?"

"Every time things are going well in my life, something bad happens. It's as if I'm destined to be hurt, to be punished for being happy. Disasters only happen after I'm really happy."

"Do you think another disaster is coming?"

"Yes. One always comes."

"Sweetheart, I'm with you now and I'll do anything humanly possible to protect you. God is on our side, Emily. I know it doesn't seem that way sometimes, but He is. It's a promise He made to us who believe and worship him. I know that other than saying grace before our meals, we haven't prayed together, but we should."

"I'd like to do that, Matt."

We turned off the TV and held hands as we prayed. That first time covered many concerns and wishes as well as thanks for blessings we knew God had provided. Emily prayed for wisdom and strength to deal with challenges as they came. She also gave thanks for me and my parents and the love they showed her.

Following that long prayer, we slipped into bed and held each other. She was relaxed, it seemed and content with me beside her. Little did we know that the next big challenge in her life was only a week away.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

I woke to the sound of Emily opening a suitcase.

"Good morning, sweetheart," I mumbled.

She smiled, walked to the bed and kissed me. "Good morning. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day," she said.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting our dirty clothes out to wash."