Thank God for Irish Women Ch. 08

Story Info
New discoveries.
7.9k words
4.64
1.6k
6
0

Part 8 of the 12 part series

Updated 04/29/2024
Created 03/12/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 8

Emily returned from putting away her ring. We used the Saturday evening hours to dust and vacuum the house and set the dining table in preparation for Sunday's lunch guests.

It was after 11:00 when we retired to the guesthouse. Emily had more to tell me about her grandparents and Uncle John's family as we cuddled in bed.

"Their daughter Shannon is lovely. She has lustrous dark red hair that's very curly, light freckles that are sexy, and a body to die for. Her skin is like fine porcelain. She's just the perfect Irish lass, and guys have been trying to date her for years.

"She's become a good friend, and we talk occasionally but text and email about every week. She's one of the friends I called from your apartment that day."

"Shannon probably sees you as a long-lost sister."

"Yes, I think so. We talk about sisterly things and share secrets. She knew about Patrick but has kept him a secret. There's closeness between us that I don't have with many girls. We seem to share many of the same values. I know you'll like her.

"Aunt Lillian told me that Shannon has some of those same rebellious tendencies Mom had. It evidently is in the genes since Grandmama also rebelled when she married Granddad. Her parents just couldn't deal with her falling in love with a whiskey maker. Evidently, they were also very wealthy, and the Ryan family fortune meant nothing to them.

"Shannon wants to come to a university in the States or Canada and get away from Dublin and the 'stifling' family as she calls them. I asked her to think about coming to Stanford and living with me for a while."

"What did she say?"

"She's thinking about it. Since we'll be living together now, we'll want to reconsider that."

"It might be kind of fun having her around."

She glared at me and frowned. "Maybe in an apartment down the street but not living with us. I don't want the competition. It's going to be hard enough keeping you away from my other girlfriends. It would be impossible with Shannon."

I laughed and said, "Very funny."

She didn't laugh as she held up her bare ring finger and pointed to it. "This ring represents not just my commitment to you, it's also your commitment to me."

"Emily, you shouldn't be concerned about that."

"Good. I'm depending on you. I can't go through another loss." I pulled her into a hug and asked myself where this insecurity came from all of a sudden.

I said, "I'm sure it's tough on Shannon being in a prominent family and living in the shadow of the family name. It would be like the Kennedy children are here in the States."

"That's right. For me, the name was never a burden. Ryan is a very common name here with no wealth connotations."

"She's in the middle of it every day of her entire life," I added.

"Yeah. She agrees with me that the wealth is a burden, and she hates it. She never knows whether a boy is interested in her or the money. That makes her skeptical of everyone and she has had a bad experience. I know you love me because you didn't know about the money before you committed."

"Maybe that's why she wants to make a clean break and come here. Does she know about the trust fund you have?"

"Not from me. She said something one day that caused me to believe she has one. She may already know or guess that Granddad set one up for me, but we've not talked about it, and I'm not going to."

"What did she say?"

"She alluded to some restrictions that prevents her from getting married before 21. From what she said, I thought that must be the same restriction I have. She's not yet 18 and can't legally agree to the terms and conditions, but she probably already knows about them."

I glanced at my watch, and it was already after midnight.

"We have got to get to sleep," I said. "Tomorrow is a big day and they're coming early."

"Can we pray for tomorrow?" she asked.

For the next few minutes, we asked God to give wisdom to all those who will be making decisions on Jodi teaching and on Clint getting a job. We also prayed for their safe travels. After our amen was said, she reached for my hand.

"Goodnight Mr. Anderson. I love you," she whispered.

"Goodnight Miss Ryan. I love you too." We kissed, and I cuddled my new fiancée as she pulled my arm tightly around her.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The alarm screamed at 6:15. Our late night talking was taking its toll and I was still very sleepy. Emily stirred and rolled over but promptly dropped back to sleep. I went to the bathroom, showered, shaved, and dressed for breakfast before leaving her still sleeping.

No one was in the kitchen. After starting the coffee, I walked down to the end of the driveway for the paper. The mist hanging just above the ground and the cacophony of birds singing were wonderful to experience again. Mom and Dad were up and sipping coffee when I returned.

"Sleep okay?" Dad asked.

"Like a log," I replied. "Just not long enough. My headache is much better."

Mom asked, "Did Emily say when Clint and Jodi might be here?"

"She said for breakfast. I imagine it'll be 8:00 or so."

"That's fine. The worship service is at 11:00 and I'd like to be there by 10:30 to introduce Jodi to some of the key people."

"It takes 20 minutes to drive there, as I recall."

Dad replied, "That's about right."

Mom asked, "Why did you go ahead with the proposal?"

"We talked a long time and what she said convinced me to ask."

"She was very happy last night. That's good. You surprised us by saying she suggested a prenup. I thought she might not want that."

"Mom, I know you're interested but there are some things that she made me promise to never tell anyone. I can't tell you the answer to that question."

"Is everything legal?"

"Absolutely!"

"Then that's all we need to know."

I nodded.

"Is Emily up?"

"Not yet. Is there anything you need me to do for lunch?"

"No, we're set. I was planning bacon, sausage, and eggs for breakfast. We have OJ, coffee and some of that great bread Anita James brought over Thursday afternoon. Was there anything else you'd like?"

Dad replied, "I'd like corn flakes with fruit. I've eaten too much the last three days."

We sipped coffee and read the newspaper until Emily came in a little before 7:30.

I greeted her, "Hey lady. You finally came alive."

"Yeah, but I wanted to sleep longer. I think I'm just not cut out for this farm life."

Mom replied, "I had to learn. I was never up before 8:00 unless I had to be. Now, we're both up very early because of the dairy. Cows demand to be milked early, and James demands his breakfast."

"Now Kathryn, I know better than to demand anything."

"I'm just kidding you. Relax sweetheart." Everyone grinned.

As we made small talk, the doorbell rang.

Emily squealed, "They're here!" She stood and walked quickly to the door. I was behind her by a couple of seconds.

"JODI! CLINT! It's great to see you again!" Emily exclaimed.

The girls hugged a couple of times as I shook Clint's hand. Clint hugged Emily while I hugged Jodi.

I asked, "What time did you leave KC?"

"About 5:00," he responded.

"I'm impressed... you made good time!"

Jodi replied, "Clint tends to ignore speed limits; especially before sunrise on I-35. I slept as best I could on the way. I didn't get home from work until 1:30 this morning."

"How's the scalp wound?" Clint asked while looking at my bandage.

"Just a residual headache. The stitches come out tomorrow. How's your arm?"

"Only a flesh wound. It's a little sore. Just have to keep it clean until the stitches are out."

I replied, "That's good. Come on in and let me introduce you to Mom and Dad." We walked through the sitting room and into the kitchen.

My parents stood as they entered. Mom exclaimed, "Jodi, it's wonderful to see you again!" They hugged. "And this is obviously Clint."

"Yes, Mrs. Anderson. This is the one and only Clint. Mom and he shook hands."

"Please call me Kathryn."

Emily introduced Clint to Dad. As they shook hands, Dad said, "Call me James. It's good to meet you. How about coffee?"

"Much appreciated," replied Clint.

I asked, "No problem finding us?"

Clint replied, "Not at all. The Garmin brought me to your driveway."

Emily walked with Mom to refill our cups and pour two new ones. Everyone sat around the table and visited, getting to know each other.

Jodi said, "I was so surprised when you called on Friday afternoon. I didn't know whether I'd ever see you two again."

Emily replied, "I know. We left so quickly on Thursday that I didn't get to see you. The doctor surprised us by letting him out that soon."

I added, "I was anxious to get out of there and ran hard as soon as he said the words. I want to tell you how much I appreciate you two waiting with Emily in the emergency room. You didn't have to do that, but it was a big help and comfort to her."

Clint replied, "We wanted to be there. A head shot, even a graze wound, is dangerous and the way your skull hit the pavement greatly concerned me."

Jodi added, "We were thrilled when Emily called Wednesday night to tell us that you were awake and going to be fine. That was an answer to all our prayers."

"Amen," Dad replied.

Mom asked, "How about some breakfast?"

Jodi replied, "We're ready. Can I help?"

Mom replied, "Sure." Emily and Jodi stood and followed Mom into the work area of the kitchen and began pulling everything out. Emily and Jodi hugged again with wide smiles and high-fives.

We guys walked outside with our coffee.

Clint asked, "Has this farm been in your family a long time, James?"

"Parts of it have. My ancestors settled here in the mid-1830's and secured large allotments for almost nothing. Iowa didn't become a state until 1846. It was mostly grassland with very little to be said for it. At that time, the farmers had only mules or oxen to plow and planting was all done by hand. A large track of land wasn't needed. That's where the expression '40 acres and a mule' came from. I think my family was greedy and grabbed it when they could, no matter if they planned to use it or not. Many of the settlers gave up and went farther west and my ancestors bought their land when they left."

Clint replied, "It helps to have foresight. They knew it would be valuable some day."

Dad replied, "I doubt it. My family was not that smart... just greedy." We laughed.

"But, they did secure one of the best stands of timber and a rare natural lake when they first arrived. We continue to be very thankful for that, which I believe was foresight."

I said, "Clint, if Jodi gets the job here, we knew you would want to work here also."

"Yeah, I spent some time yesterday looking on the Internet for jobs. Found a few that might be interesting."

"Dad knows the owner of a large feeder lot about ten miles away. We thought that might be of interest so Dad contacted him."

"That would be interesting. I'm managing one now, and it's going well."

Dad responded, "I made a tentative appointment for us to go over there this afternoon after Jodi meets with the school director. Is that something you'd want to do?"

"Yes, I would. I appreciate your doing that for me. Of course, it all depends on Jodi getting the job since we are a package deal."

Dad replied with a grin, "I understand. We'll see what's available. The owner is Sam Abbott. I've no idea how many head he's feeding, but it's a big operation. He grows most of his own grain, but I've sold him hay and silage over the years. He's a good man. Kathryn and I have known them a long time. She went to school with his wife, Helen."

I asked, "Do you mind if I ride along? I've never seen a feeder lot operation."

"No problem. Clint and Sam will want to spend time together, and you can keep me company while they're talking."

Emily came out and said breakfast was ready.

After eating, Jodi asked where they could get dressed for church. Emily insisted they come to the guesthouse.

Clint and I walked to the truck and brought in their day bag and clothes bag. Emily and Jodi were talking when we entered. "Matt, Jodi was telling me that her mom has been ill the last few days. They're not sure what's causing it, but she's had severe stomach pain. She's going into the hospital tomorrow."

"I hope it's nothing serious, Jodi. Has she had this problem before?"

"No, this is new. She's always been healthy so this has us concerned."

"Does she have insurance?"

"Yes, it's a high deductible policy the hotel offered. She must pay the first $2,500 but thank heavens she has insurance."

I asked, "Which hospital is she using?"

"The same one you were in; but please don't send flowers. That's not necessary."

"I'll call and check on her," I replied. Emily was grinning.

"That'd be good. I'm sure she'd love to talk to you."

Clint asked, "Jodi, you want to go first? I'm going to take a quick shower."

"I am too, honey. Emily, where are the bath towels?"

"Let me get them."

After returning from the bedroom, Emily whispered, "Are you going to pay that $2,500 for Jackie?"

"Yes."

"I thought so. That's wonderful, Matt. I wish I had the money to do things like that."

"Maybe after your trust fund begins."

She paused and thought for a moment.

"You mean I could find people who need financial help and give it secretly?"

"Why not?"

"As long as no one knows where it came from, that'd be perfect."

I replied, "I've been thinking about Bob and Judy and their work. Maybe we could copy them. By running the money through a foundation, we could keep our names out of it. That's what the artists do."

"That would answer my major concern. I don't want anyone to know we have that money from Granddad, and no one would have to. I like that."

"You could be the CEO of the foundation."

"I could give away my own money but pretend it came from other people?"

"Why not? It actually did come from other people if you think about it."

"That's brilliant." She stared at the far wall, obviously in thought.

"The foundation would have to pay you a salary."

"Yes, but I'd negotiate a fair one with myself." We smiled.

"Let's think about it and put together a plan. I could also get Dad and Mark to contribute. I know they have money they're not using... and they like you."

She stared through me. There was a distance in her eyes as she pondered.

"Matt, I like this idea. Maybe having that money won't be so bad after all." I grinned but knew she was serious.

"I was so focused on what it might do to us that I didn't think of how it could help others. I was serious about wanting to give it away; I just didn't think through how to do it and keep the source secret. Bob and Judy have the perfect model for us to follow."

"Maybe after we're settled, you can visit them in Atlanta or Nashville, wherever they are and get ideas."

"That's a great suggestion. I don't have any commitments for the summer so I'll learn about charitable foundations and what they do to get money to where it's needed. I know my trust won't go far on big projects, but it could change the lives of many people one family at a time."

She continued, "This could give hundreds of people a chance at a good future."

"Sweetheart, nothing is more important than creating the opportunity for someone to be successful, especially an innocent child. You never know what that child may contribute to society down the road."

"That's right. Maybe I can look for situations where a family with children is struggling and need help. Or maybe look for teenagers like me who have the skills to go to college but not the money."

"Emily, I think you've discovered your calling in life."

She stared straight ahead for a couple of minutes, totally absorbed in her thoughts. Turning to me, Emily smiled and said, "Thank you Matt. You're right. And I believe that's what Mom would want me to do."

We heard the shower cut off. A few minutes later, Jodi came out dressed in a very pretty light blue A-line dress. She was even more beautiful than normal with full makeup, and her brunette hair nicely styled. Clint was just a minute later. He was in a well-tailored light gray suit. He looked sharp, and Emily gave him a wolf-whistle. We roared with laughter.

"Clint, I'm jealous. She's never whistled at me."

Emily replied, "I'm sorry sweetheart. I just lost my head for a second."

Jodi added, "These two boys are special, aren't they?"

"They surely are," Emily sighed.

Clint replied, "We didn't do so bad either, did we Matt?"

"My dad said a man should always marry above himself. I think we might be able to do that, Clint."

Jodi cautiously asked, "Are you two thinking about marriage?"

Emily smiled and replied, "He proposed yesterday and I accepted."

"YOU'RE KIDDING ME!" Jodi squealed. "That's wonderful!" Clint extended his hand, and we shook as the girls embraced.

Jodi continued, "That is fantastic. I knew from the way you two interacted, and the devotion you showed him at the hospital meant you loved him. That was obvious. I didn't know you were ready for a lifetime commitment. But what do I know? I'm very happy for you two."

"Matt and I realized that we are a match and that God had brought us together. Sometime, we'll tell you the entire story or you can read about it when I write the bestseller. But, we are a couple, forever."

Jodi asked, "Did he give you a ring yet?"

Emily replied, "Yes, but it's being sized. You'll have to see it later." She glanced at me and I nodded. "It's beautiful," she added.

"Matt, we need to get dressed. Why don't you two head over to the house and grab coffee. We'll be there in a few minutes."

After they left, Emily said, "I didn't want to show her the ring. They could never afford something like that, and I didn't want to make them feel bad. Do you understand?"

"I do. You thought of them before you thought of yourself. That's one of the things I love about you. Should I take that ring back and get a smaller diamond?"

"No. It's the one you wanted to buy me. I'll treasure it forever. But, I may not wear it around my friends. Maybe when we dress up and go out but not every day. I realized this morning that I don't want my friends to be jealous. That was a silly egotistical thing for me to say yesterday."

"Maybe I could get you a smaller 'everyday' ring."

"That might be a first."

"Let's look for one Monday when we take yours in for sizing."

We hurriedly dressed and walked to the kitchen. Mom and Dad were sipping coffee and visiting with Clint and Jodi.

Mom greeted us. "I love that dress, Emily." She was wearing an ivory A-line summer dress with a wide brown belt and costume jewelry. It enhanced her auburn hair and emerald eyes. Mom wore a stunning light green dress and real gold jewelry.

"Thanks Mom. Your dress is beautiful."

"Oh, this old thing?"

We laughed. The truth be told, Mom was the best dressed of us all.

Dad said, "I think we're ready to go."

Everyone walked outside. Clint and Jodi rode with us in the Explorer with Emily driving while Mom and Dad took her Buick. We arrived at the church just after 10:30 am.

From the time we emerged from our cars until the service began, it was nonstop introductions, handshaking, hugging of old friends and meeting new ones. Mom introduced Jodi and Clint to at least five people working on the school committees and told them why she was visiting this weekend. They all seemed very pleased to meet her and Clint. Jodi was amazed with the enthusiastic welcome.

All our friends greeted Emily with broad smiles. As Mom predicted, many people had heard of my new lady friend.

After the service, we met up with Brenda Olsen and her husband David. Mom introduced Jodi and Clint, and I introduced Emily. There were pleasant exchanges all around. Mark and Cheryl joined us and warmly greeted Jodi and Clint before we drove to the house for lunch.