Thank God for Irish Women Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Shortly after we arrived home, Tommy and Linda came and introductions were made and friendly hugs shared. While the ladies went to the kitchen to prepare lunch, Jodi and Brenda went to the guesthouse to discuss the school and job opportunities.

The guys walked to the patio near the pool with beers, sodas, or whatever they wanted and talked about guy things while standing in a circle, as all like to do. Many jokes were told, some more bawdy than others, but all in reasonably good taste.

Everyone wanted to hear about me and Clint being shot at a nightclub. We made it sound like another gunfight at the OK Corral. Although I didn't remember anything, Clint made up for that with a wild story delivered in perfect deadpan. They didn't know whether he was greatly exaggerating or not but took their cue from Dad who smiled quite often. It was fun.

The talk turned to local politics, taxes, rain and the price of crops... all normal topics when any two or more farmers got together in Iowa or anywhere else.

Mom came out and joined our circle long enough to catch the last joke being told. She said that lunch was ready. I volunteered to check on Mrs. Olsen and Jodi.

After walking over to the guesthouse, I knocked on the door.

Jodi said, "Come in." When I entered I could see that the discussion must have gone well. Both were in a jovial mood as Jodi completed a story of something funny that happened during her student teaching. Mrs. Olsen and she warmly embraced before we walked together to lunch.

When all were seated at the table, Dad stood and said, "Before we ask the blessing, Kathryn and I have a special announcement to make. Matt and Emily became officially engaged yesterday and we are excited to welcome this lovely young lady to our family."

Everyone cheered and congratulated us, raising their glasses of iced tea or water into the air as a toast.

I responded, "Thanks Dad. I'm the luckiest man in the world to have this lady by my side." Emily smiled, and I saw tears welling in her eyes.

Dad asked the blessing as we all held hands.

After the blessing, Jodi whispered to Emily and they briefly held hands under the table and smiled. I guessed it was good news. I also noticed that Mom and Mrs. Olsen exchanged whispered words, and both smiled.

The lunch was pleasant with everyone in a celebratory mood. I was sated when carrot cake and blueberry pie slices were passed; but I had one anyway. I wasn't sure when I'd get Mom's pie again.

After lunch, the men changed into jeans or khakis and t-shirts and walked to the horseshoe pits that were beyond the pool. For the next hour, it was the random rings of steel hitting steel mixed with moans and laughs and a healthy dose of bragging and swearing.

Emily came out after the dishes were put away and watched us play. I explained the rules, and she asked if she could toss one. It went about 75% of the distance needed, but she was determined to not let that stand. Her next throw landed only a foot in front of the stake and bounced off it. Close but not quite a ringer. She was thrilled, and the guys gave her a mighty cheer.

As we walked to the house, Emily whispered that Jodi was getting the job of kindergarten teacher, one of three being hired for that grade. We were delighted.

The ladies had all pitched in and cleaned the kitchen and dishes and put all the remaining food away so we were free to sit in the family room and visit after our guests left for home.

Because everyone wanted to know, Jodi recounted her interview. "She asked me to call her Brenda, and she described her career and experiences and the effort underway to begin the school. They will start with kindergarten and first grade in September and add a grade each year for the next three years. She said they would move faster if the money and interest allowed and qualified teachers could be hired. They already have 48 children signed up for kindergarten and 63 for first grade. The school will use the church facilities, at least for the first few years.

"She asked me to describe myself, my interest in teaching and the curriculum at Kansas State. I gave her a copy of my transcripts, and résumé. We talked a long time about children and how they learn, about dealing with parents and situations that may happen in the class and about the differences between public and private education. I was very pleased with our discussion, and she offered me the position of kindergarten teacher subject to a background check, drug test and verification of certification. I must be certified in Iowa as I am in Kansas and Missouri, but Brenda said that was a formality.

"I accepted but told her about Clint and how he needed to find a job in this area. She offered to help with that if needed."

Mom replied, "Brenda is involved in many community groups, although she's officially retired. She'd be a very good person to help find a job. If the opportunity this afternoon doesn't work out, I'd recommend you talk to her."

Dad added, "Her husband David owns an insurance business and knows hundreds, if not thousands, of people in Des Moines. I'm sure his network would also be a good source of jobs. With the new corn revenue flooding into this area, many good jobs are being created."

Mom surprised me by saying, "James and I would like for you to use the guesthouse when you're in the area and until you can find your own place. It's going to be vacant this summer and fall, and you're welcome to it."

"How generous of you!" Jodi exclaimed. "It's a lovely suite."

Clint was quick to agree. "I can't believe how kind you folks are."

Dad responded, "You two are special and were a big help to Matt and Emily. We like to help people like you if we can."

Mom added, "This school is very important to us and our church. By helping to make it easier on you, we're also helping the school. You're going to be a great teacher, Jodi, and you will make a lasting impression on many children."

"Thank you. Your family is making a lasting impression on us," Jodi replied.

Dad mentioned it was time to drive over to Sam Abbott's place. The girls wished Clint luck as we left in his truck. The drive included part of I-80 West, where the scenery is almost all cornfields or some form of agriculture... boring.

Upon arrival at Abbott Farms, we followed the signs to the visitor parking area. The place was huge, and cattle in all stages of growth were everywhere I looked. Mr. Abbott walked out to greet us.

"James, it's great to see you, my friend. You're looking good. I suppose Kathryn is still cooking for you."

Dad smiled as they shook hands and replied, "Sam, she sure is. How's Helen?"

"Feisty as ever. She said to give her best to you and Kathryn."

"I will and give her our love. You remember my son, Matt, and this is our friend Clint."

We shook hands. Mr. Abbott's handshake was like a vise.

"Matt, I haven't seen you in years. James mentioned you now have your master's in electrical engineering from Georgia Tech and are going to California."

"Yes sir. We're driving out there starting Tuesday."

"Well, good luck son. Maybe you can help their economy recover with all the taxes you'll be paying." We laughed, but it was true... the taxes there were awful.

"Clint, it's good to meet you, young man. James said you run an operation down near Kansas City."

"Yes sir, I work for Billy Mayfield at Mayfield Farms."

"I've heard of him. That's a big operation."

"Yes sir, it is. We're feeding 7,000 in 52 pens. How big is this operation?"

"We're feeding 4,800 in 37 pens," Mr. Abbott replied. "Let me show you around. My general foreman is coming over in a few minutes to meet you."

We walked through six large buildings and saw the feed distribution operation, grain storage and a small lab used to test grain and other nutrients as well as blood samples from the cattle. One large building was used for manure handling with the product being dried and sold or used for fuel production by processing it through a biogas generator located nearby. The methane generated was used to power the feedlot equipment and generate electricity much as natural gas does in other commercial operations.

At least a dozen or more men and three women were working to distribute feed to the calves and cattle for their evening rations. They stopped only briefly to say "Hi."

The cattle were bawling and mooing like crazy and the noise level was dreadful. You would get accustomed to it if you worked there, I suppose.

After the tour, Mr. Abbott found and introduced us to Ted Bennett, the general foreman.

"James and Matt, if you'd make yourself at home, we want to take Clint up to the office and chat a bit."

We walked toward the truck but stopped to visit with a herd of 20 or more recently weaned calves that, no doubt, were missing their dams. They walked to the fence, smelled and licked our hands while we scratched their heads and necks. Dad and I enjoyed being around cattle, and these Angus calves were adorable.

As we stood there, Dad said, "Your mom and Jodi were talking this morning about you and Emily getting engaged. Jodi said something about the ring was being sized so she'd have to see it next time. Kathryn took that to mean Emily didn't want to show it to her. What's up with that?"

"Emily thought the size of it might make Jodi feel bad since they could never afford to have one like it. In fact, Emily indicated that she doesn't want to wear it around her girlfriends in California for the same reason."

"Emily seems to be very sensitive to how others perceive things."

"It's funny. She accused me of being too sensitive to what others think when I pretended on the trip that she was my wife when we checked into a hotel."

"That's a bit different. You were worried about what strangers might think, and she's worried about offending her friends or making them jealous."

"That's true. I wanted to give her the best ring I could afford, but maybe I went too far."

"You could return it and get a smaller one."

"I suggested that, but she said no. She said it was the one I chose and that she'll always treasure it. We're going Monday to get it sized, and I think I'll buy a smaller one carat diamond that she can wear without feeling guilty around her friends. Those are $4,000 or $5,000 and look good."

"That's not a bad idea. She can always wear the big one on special occasions. Plus, a top quality stone like that will only gain value over the years. It's likely a good investment."

"That's a good thought."

We walked down the fence line to a small creek we had crossed on the way in. I said, "Mom was telling me that you were starting a retirement savings plan for Tommy and the guys. What's that all about?"

"We began thinking about it three years ago and made it happen last year. Each now has an individual account like a 401K plan that will build rapidly to help supplement their retirement. Your mom and I are setting aside 15% of our net income from the farm to fund our contribution to those accounts. The guys are very happy with that, and it gives them a stake in the success of the farm."

"I bet they're the best paid farm workers in Iowa."

"Probably in the States. They deserve it. These guys work their tails off and can handle anything that comes up. We're blessed to have them. They and their families are like a part of ours."

****

After nearly an hour, Mr. Abbott, Clint, and Ted came out of the office. Ted shook Clint's hand, and Mr. Abbott and Clint walked over to us. Both were smiling.

"James, I think we've got a deal working here. Clint can be a big help to us. I told him that we want to start a new operation closer in to where you live. It'll be about four miles north of your farm. I bought property there nine years ago, and Ted and I were showing Clint the plans."

Clint added, "Mr. Abbott is going first-class. He wants me to oversee the construction and then run the operation for him. It's a great opportunity that I appreciate."

Mr. Abbott added, "Of course, we have to do the mandatory background and drug tests but those are formalities. Clint said he could be here starting in July which is perfect for us."

Clint explained, "I need to give a month's notice to Billy before I can come up and start to work."

"James, you helped me by recommending this young man. It's hard to find people with Clint's experience, and we've been looking for several months. I owe you, buddy."

"You don't owe me anything, Sam. We all need to help these young folks out when we can."

"Amen, brother. When the new operation starts up, I'll be needing silage, hay, and grain. I trust I can count on you supplying it."

"You can always count on me... you know that."

"Can you and Kathryn come to dinner soon?"

"Anytime."

"Good, I'll ask Helen to call her and set a date. We have a few pounds of beef around here somewhere we can grill." The laughter was almost as loud as the mooing.

During the ride home, Clint gave additional information. "Sam and Ted asked me to visit other feeder operations and see what they're doing that might be a best practice. The Iowa Cattlemen's Association is encouraging that and is now publishing details about their members' operations. For the first few weeks, I'll be traveling.

"After that, we'll finalize the design, go out for bids, and start construction in October or November. We need to get the foundations in before the ground freezes hard so timing is important."

I thought it was bad form for me to inquire about the salary offered, but Clint seemed happy. Emily learned later from Jodi that he'd be making 25% more than he was with Billy.

We had leftovers for dinner before Jodi and Clint left for Kansas City, as happy as could be. We sent our best to Jackie, Jodi's mom, and promised to stay in touch. Later that evening, we received a text message saying they arrived home safely.

Emily and I retired to our quarters at 9:30. I said upon entering, "This was a great day!"

"So many good things happened," she replied. "Clint seemed happy with the job offer."

"So did Jodi. I was pleased that Mom and Dad offered this guesthouse to them. I didn't think about that, but they did."

I sat in the large cushioned armchair, expecting to watch TV for a while. Emily went to the bathroom. When she returned, she walked over and sat backwards on the cushioned arm of my chair and slid her bottom down into my lap. She touched the side of my face, and we kissed. It was a very romantic kiss.

"While you were gone to the feeder lot, your mom swam laps while Jodi and I sunned by the pool. I loaned her one of my bikinis. I know you know this, but she has a great figure."

"I could tell."

"She also has puffy nipples."

"Why did you tell me that?"

"No reason. I know you like mine."

"You're messing with my mind." She knew I was attracted to Jodi and was trying to get a reaction she could jump on. The games girls play always baffled me.

"I asked her how the relationship with Clint was going. She said it was great. They're thinking about getting married sometime next year."

As we talked, I put my hand under her top and began rubbing her breast and nipple through her lacey bra. We kissed again.

"Now that they'll have good jobs here, they want to start looking for a small house nearby."

"Did she say any more about her mom?"

I unbuttoned Emily's shorts. She raised her bottom to help.

"Her mom's stomach has been hurting for a few days. They're worried about an ulcer. She had an endoscopy done, and the doctors are concerned about a possible perforation. There's blood in her stool."

"She must have had pain before but didn't tell anyone."

"Yeah, if it's an ulcer, it would have been painful before now."

I pulled her shorts down, and she helped me take them off.

"I'm glad she's going in and having it checked. That could be serious," I said.

"Her mom is only 49 but has worked hard all her life. They own a small farm with a few cattle. They took on so much debt to put Jodi through college, they're struggling to keep their heads above water."

I slowly rubbed her through the nylon panties. She parted her legs to give me better access. We kissed briefly.

"Is there a way we can help them other than paying her mom's deductible?"

"It's tricky, Matt. They haven't indicated a willingness to accept help from anyone. I think they're very proud and prefer to do it themselves."

"That's like you and your mom were with your grandparents."

"In many ways, that's right. If we decide to help people as we discussed this morning, we've got to make sure we don't destroy the initiative and the ambition they should have to be successful and stand on their own feet. A person's pride has to be respected and protected. There are many people who will not accept a helping hand and some who will want a free handout every day so they don't have to work."

"That's why that first morning I met you at the gas station I said I don't like to give money as a handout. Lack of a little money is rarely the real problem a person has."

"Matt, that now seems so long ago. If you had given me the couple of dollars instead of buying me breakfast, we'd never have talked again. Thank God you cared enough to help me as you did."

She lay back, closed her eyes and spread her legs even more. "That feels so good sweetheart," she purred.

"Never did I realize that a 6:00 am fill-up at a gas station would change my whole life. What if I'd decided to sleep in? What if those policemen didn't have that emergency call and took you to the station?"

"We were both standing at a crossroad in our lives and didn't have a clue," she said. "OH! That feels good. You have the magic touch." She squirmed and twitched. "Oh, oh," she moaned. "Right there. Stop for a second. I need to get these off."

I helped remove her panties. She sat back in my lap, and we kissed again.

I rubbed her until she was very wet.

"Oh sweetheart. That feels amazing." She was twitching, and gasping every few seconds and her eyes were alive with energy. "I'm close. So close," she whispered.

Emily laid her hand over mine and pressed down, rubbing vigorously. Her other hand was squeezing her breast.

Emily arched her back and neck. Her breaths were short, shallow pants through her mouth. She moaned, jumped, and trembled several times while gasping for air and holding my hand firmly against her. Three loud whimpers announced the orgasm had begun its rampage through her body. The urgent gasps continued with her eyes closed, her face contorted, and her neck and face flushed. She swallowed a few times and continued to twitch while waiting for it to pass.

She released my hand, and I stroked the top of her warm thigh as her afterglow dimmed. Her breathing gradually returned to normal.

"Wow! You know how to excite me, Matt."

"I love this little peach fuzz on your thighs. Your legs are very firm and sexy. Do you normally work out when you can?"

"Yeah, on several machines. I think I mentioned our apartment complex has a gym and a pool. Patrick and I often used it. But remember, I waited tables until four weeks ago. That's hard on the legs and back."

"I don't want you to ever do that again."

"I can't promise that, Matt."

"Why not?"

"We never know what might happen. What if we got a divorce and our prenup prevents me from getting any of your money. Remember, my funds may not begin until I'm 30."

"We won't get a divorce. Our marriage will be final, forever, until death do us part."

"Matt, I believe we will never divorce. I really do. But, all my friends' parents have been divorced at least once. I grew up with a single parent who was divorced. Nancy is Pat's second wife. She's not Patrick's birth mother. None of them married thinking they were going to get divorced."