The Birthday Dinner

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
alonzo14
alonzo14
93 Followers

In the restaurant, everything irritated him. The table. The menu. And most of all the conversation. Alex and Chloe chatted incessantly. And Annie laughed at Alex's jokes. How could she enjoy this idiot? Paul looked at his watch. Oh, god, has time slowed down? Will this dinner never end? Annie was giving him dirty looks. She was laughing at Alex's jokes and giving him dirty looks. How much more of this could he take?

Paul needed to get out of there. In his distorted state of mind, he came up with the idea of getting up to leave and then coaxing Annie out with him. What excuse could he come up with? Maybe he'd take her aside and explain things to her. She'd see things his way, wouldn't she?

When Paul got up and announced that he had to leave, he saw the shocked look on her face. Was it contempt he saw? He couldn't bring himself to take her aside. He just left. Why did he do that?

Outside he pulled out his cell phone and tried to call her. There was no answer. Paul was angry and frustrated. Angry at himself for being so stupid and frustrated that he couldn't get through to Annie. He thought about going back in and talking to Annie. He would tell her how he felt about her. How he loved her.

But Paul couldn't do it. He couldn't go back in and look like a fool in front of Alex. That would diminish him in Annie's eyes, and he already felt so small as it was.

That night, Paul tried Annie's number several times. He left voice messages. She never returned his calls. He was getting angry. Did she care so little for him? Didn't she want to know why he left? Paul felt angry. And desperate. And alone.

The next morning he received the e-mail from her. It was cold. She accused him of having another woman. How could she not know he was in love with her? How could she be so blind and uncaring.

When he replied to her letter, Paul was angry and hurt. Yes, he made a mistake at the dinner. But if she loved him, she would see that wouldn't she? He blamed her for her indifference.

Her reply back to him was colder still. It left him stunned. It was over. He knew it. She didn't love him and there was no hope of her ever loving him.

The next few weeks were hard to get through. Never before had Paul felt the hurt of unrequited love. He looked for some comfort and solace in the arms of another woman. Kristy was attentive and more than willing to console him. After a few months, they got engaged. He never saw Annie again.

alonzo14
alonzo14
93 Followers
12