The Conner Family Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers

Ken stepped over to his mother and kissed her on the cheek. "Thanks Mom. And Dad too."

Sharon waved towards the hallway. "Go."

Ken went to the door to the basement and turned on the light and went down the stairs. Walking through the family room and then the workshop, then to the garage. He turned on the exterior house and garage lights. Then he watched for their car lights. There were none down the long dark snow covered street. After a few minutes car lights appeared.

A car was coming up the road. He hit the switch and the garage door opened up. The cold from outside flooded into the garage.

Then the Hummer was coming up the driveway and slowly eased into the center slot in the garage.

Ken hit the switch and the garage door slowly lowered. The engine on the Hummer rumbled into silence and the lights went out. There was snow all over the Hummer. The driver's door popped open and closed. Brian was coming around the front and stepped up to Ken. He kept his back towards the car.

Brian smiled at him then hugged Ken. "Hey, Geek!"

Ken rolled his eyes up and chuckled. "Bri. Not what I expected to be called tonight."

"With what we learned tonight," said Brian. "You may not really be my cousin."

"I know," said Ken not sure where Brian was going.

"But you are still family. Never forget that, Cuz."

"Thanks," replied Ken feeling relieved,

"That's from all of us. You are family. And if you forget ... well ..." He snickered, " ... your sisters will beat the snot out of you."

"Can't have that," muttered Ken.

Brian chuckled. "It would not be pretty." He then reached into his coat pocket and took out a small, long box He held it so only Ken could see it. "That is from all of us. Except, Jen. It's a gift to the two of you." Brian opened the box. "Identical silver necklaces and crosses." Brian touched a gold ring that hung on one of the chains. "That's the ring Dad gave to Mom when he proposed. They want you to give it to Jen when you propose."

"I ... I" Ken looked at Brian. "This is ... sudden."

Brian snickered as he handed Ken the box. "You have ten minutes."

"What?"

"The deadline is from Pam and Sue and me. Now I am going upstairs to say hi to Aunt Sharon," stated Brian. "Take off my coat and then come back down and watch your back while you carry Jen up the stairs. Her knees are still bothering her." Brian then backed up from Ken, turned and headed towards the door into the house.

Ken just watched Brian as he walked away. His mind filled with the sudden thoughts of being married to Jennifer. And his mother's recent words came back to him.

Brian paused at the door and looked back at him. "Just don't stand there. Go let your lady out of the car."

Ken stuffed the box into his pocket and stepped over to the door of the Hummer. Jen was looking out at him with a big smile on her face. He opened the door. "Hi, Jen."

"Hi," she replied softly.

Ken looked into Jen's eyes and not for the first time he was lost just looking at her.

She shifted to swing her legs towards him. Jen spread her legs apart and held out her arms and Ken stepped between them to give her a hug.

"I am so glad that you're home." Ken hugged her a little tighter. "How long can you stay?"

"I am discharged with full medical disability," replied Jen. "I'm home to stay."

"I am sorry, Jen" said Ken. "But, ... I'm also so glad that you're home." Ken released her and stepped back. "After I got home from Florida, I realized just how much I missed just being with you."

"And I with you," said Jen. "When I woke up in the hospital, I was so hurt and scared and so very afraid." She paused a moment. "I never told this to you or anyone. You know ... being the brave Navy fighter pilot. But ... when I was laying there ... in the dark ... in the hospital. Listening to the monitors and the voices. I was so scared. They kept talking about me. How bad I was hurt. The things that ... were wrong with me. That I might not make it. No one talked to me. Then ... then someone squeezed my hand ... then you told me you were there." Jen wrapped her arms about Ken and pulled him close. "You saved me from the dark." She sniffled. "I knew then I would be okay."

"How did you know?" asked Ken.

Jen released him and leaned back. There were tears running down her face.

"That I'd be okay?" she asked.

Ken nodded.

"Because whenever we are together, you always ... always made sure I was okay." She paused to look at him. "Like that time I ended up with two flat tires out at the beach." She shook her head. "You drove out there with two new tires and rims in Dad's truck. And Dad let you come out alone to rescue me. I always felt safe with you. More than safe. You made me feel important."

Ken snorted. "I was more impressed that your Dad trusted me with his truck."

Jen slapped his arm. "Boys with their toys."

"Jennifer, you are important. Always have been. To me. To our family." Ken reached up and gently wiped the tears from her cheeks. "That's the way I feel about you, Jen."

"Ken, before I forget, thanks for paying for Brian's air tickets. And for everyone to come down and stay when they could."

"Anything for family."

"I'm glad you let Brian come down to Florida to get me," said Jen. "It made the trip that much easier." Jen flashed him a smile. "Which brings us to ..."

"To that day forty-two years ago," finished Ken.

Jen nodded slowly.

He looked into her eyes very intently for several seconds.

"What is it?" asked Jen.

"Jen, ..." Ken paused and reached into his pocket and took the box out. He continued to look in Jen's eyes. "I have something for you."

"What?"

"And a question," added Ken.

Jen glanced down at the box then looked up at him. "What question?"

Ken opened the box and showed her. "Jennifer, would you ... ." Ken paused. "Mar ... "

"Yes!" she blurted out.

"... me," finished Ken

"Oh, Ken! Yes!"

Jen took off her gloves and reached up to hold his face and pulled him close and they kissed.

It was a long kiss. They had kissed each other on the lips in the past. But this time it was different. So very different.

Ken leaned back and held up the box.

Jen took off her wool cap and unzipped her coat some.

Ken took out the necklace with the ring and placed it over her head and carefully laid it on her chest. "The ring," said Ken, "was your Mom's engagement ring. Your Mom and Dad wanted you to have it."

Jen then placed the other necklace over Ken's head and about his neck. She then kissed him again.

There was a sudden loud whoop from behind Ken.

Breaking the kiss they turned to see Sharon and Brian looking over at them.

"You sneak," said Jen.

"Not just us," said Brian. He held up his cell phone. "Everyone at the house was watching."

Suddenly there were a number of voices coming from the small speaker on his phone.

Ken turned to look at Jen. "Let's get you up stairs where it's warm."

"And where there's privacy," stated Jen, sticking her tongue out at Brian as he walked over to them.

"Dinner," exclaimed Sharon and she was gone.

Putting the phone away, Brian chuckled. "Saved forever."

Jen handed Brian her cane. "I should hit you on the head with that."

"Nothing there to hurt," said Brian moving to the rear door. "I'll get the bags."

Ken looked at Jen. "Can you make it to the stairs or do you want me to carry you?"

They looked at each other until Brian closed the rear door. He glanced at them and said, "I'll take these upstairs. Call me when you're ready."

Looking at Ken, Jen said, "You surprised me."

"You! Brian gave me a ten-minute deadline to propose," explained Ken.

"So you needed a deadline?" questioned Jen.

"I ... I wanted to talk with you first."

When Brian's footsteps faded Jen asked softly, "Are you okay with this?"

"Jen, you've been my best friend all my life," replied Ken. "But we were family."

Jen snorted. "Same. Same." Then she looked seriously at him. "But ... I'm a bit scared."

"Of me? Why?"

"No, Ken. Never been scared of you." Jen paused a second looking at him. "Of me. I'm afraid I might hurt you." She held up her left hand with her remaining thumb and index finger. "I'm afraid I might ... disappoint you. There are so many scars. The burns. I'm not pretty to look at. And you know I'll never be able to give you ... us a baby."

"I've seen your scars," said Ken softly. "All of them. I washed and bandaged every single one of them. I even counted them all." He sighed. "On us having a family. ... We can always do what our parents did."

"Look for a tornado," said Jen, "and see if it dropped a couple of kids off!"

Ken chuckled. "We could try that. It might be a while before we find the OZ Express."

"The OZ Express?" asked Jen.

"Well," said Ken, "we had to come from somewhere over the rainbow."

Jen hid her face behind her right hand as she snickered.

"Sorry, it just came out."

"After that one," said Jen. She reached out and touched his face with her right hand. "I think I'll keep you. You have always been able to make me laugh."

Ken suddenly smirked and asked, "So is this the trouble you said I would be in?"

Jen looked confused. "Trouble?"

"Back after our 17th birthday, when we went to the movies and a ice cream. I took you home and walked you to your door."

"Like the gentleman you have always been," said Jen.

"You suddenly kissed me really good and right on the mouth," continued Ken. "Jennifer Ann, you made me sweat. Then you hugged me and whispered that if we were not cousins, I would be in trouble. Then you ran inside."

Jen suddenly smiled and looked down at the floor. "I remember." She then looked up at him. "Yeah, you're in trouble now."

Ken asked, "So ... you're okay with this?"

"After today and everything," said Jen. "I can not think of anyone I would rather spend my life with."

Ken lifted up her left hand and kissed her palm and looked at her. "I know I've said this in the past. I love you. But that was different. Jen, I do love you. Guess I always have."

"You are always the perfect gentleman," said Jen. "I knew I could always trust you."

Ken glanced away then looked back at her. "I thought I would lose you."

Jen sighed. "Laying there in the dark I was lost. Then you whispered to me. I knew that was your voice. I knew I was safe with you there." She smiled at him then said, "My knees are really bothering me. Will you carry me upstairs?"

"Sure," replied Ken. He backed up slightly and put his right arm under Jen's knees and his left around her back and under her left arm and lifted. Jen put her right arm across his shoulders. He backed up and Jen pushed the car door closed with her left hand. As Ken turned towards the door to the basement Jen leaned against him. Her left arm came up and she rested her left hand on his chest. She placed her hand on the necklace and rubbed it.

Ken could feel her take a deep breath and let it out. She then snuggled in against him.

Jen said softly, "I like being here. You make me feel safe. And wanted. And yes, you are defiantly in trouble now." She raised her voice a little. "Brian."

"Coming, Sis," came Brian's voice.

She pointed with her left hand upwards. "And Brian and everyone they have not changed how they feel about us."

In a moment Brian was down the stairs and followed Ken and Jen up with his hand resting on Ken's back for support. Ken carried Jen into the kitchen and set her down on her feet.

At 5'6" the top of her head just reached Ken's shoulder.

Sharon had the table ready for dinner. She was just setting a bowl of carrots on the table and turned to look at Jennifer and Kenneth.

Jen took Ken's left hand and pulled him over to stand by Sharon. Then she used her left hand to hold up the necklace to show the ring.

Sharon smiled and looked at the ring hanging from the necklace. She then looked at the two of them. "Congratulations!" She then gave each a quick kiss on a cheek. "And Jennifer, welcome home."

*** *** *** *** ***

Dinner went by quickly and ended with Brian and Sharon clearing the table.

"Too bad we're going to miss movie night," said Brain as he placed a plate in the dishwasher.

"Not a chance," stated Sharon. "Miss Christmas Eve movie night. Never happen."

Jen chuckled.

Sharon said, "Better hurry Brian, the movie's about to start."

Brian laughed.

"A sure thing." Ken laughed remembering growing up to that call of the 'movie's about to start.' His parent's bedroom with the large king-sized bed was known as The Conner Family Movie Theater East and Jen and Brian's house was known as The Conner Family Movie Theater West and many Friday and Saturday nights their parents, his sisters and cousins would crowd upon his parent's bed or they would be at his cousins house and watch some movie as an extended family. It gave them time to spend together and they had remained close as a family.

There were times when he or his sisters or cousins would bring friends over to join in on movie night. As their parents had stated, there was always room for one more. There were also times as they grew up when school plans interrupted their schedule, or someone would be away on a date or one or more of their parents would be on duty. One of their parents would always be available to watch over all of them.

"So Aunt Sharon, what's on the marquee for tonight?" asked Brian.

Jen laughed. "I hope it's not the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

"Please!" laughed Sharon. "I remember watching them so many times, that the five of you could recite the lines."

Ken chuckled. "Remember that night when Dad turned off the sound and had us do the lines?

Jen started to laugh. "That was so funny."

"Oh, Yes. You kids were rather creative," said Sharon still laughing. "You had us all laughing so hard there was popcorn and M&Ms everywhere."

"So which one are we watching tonight?" asked Brian with a straight face. "One, Two or Three?"

Sharon poked his arm "Both of you are a pair of Goofs!" She pointed at Jen. "And you too young Lady. You've done your fair share."

Both Ken and Brian held up their hands, saying together, "Someone has to do it."

"What am I ever going to do?" Jen laughed. "I have a goof for a brother and now I am engaged to another goof. Oh! My! A Brian, a Kenneth and Aunt Sharon. Oh My! What am I ever going to do?"

Sharon chuckled, and hunched over and spoke with her voice crackling. "You can't get away from us now ... my pretty. Hee Hee Hee."

Ken was tapping the table laughing.

"Oh! Toto," stated Jen, with her hands to her face, between laughs. "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

The laughter subsided and Jen looked at the three of them. She leaned against Ken and rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm home now. I'm finally home."

Ken kissed her on the top of her head and put his arm around her.

Brian came up behind Jen and leaned over and gave his sister a kiss on the cheek. She looked up at him and smiled.

He stood up and patted Ken on his back as he went to sit down.

Jen rested her head back on Ken's shoulder.

Sharon brought over wine glasses and set them on the table. Then from the fridge she got a bottle of dark red wine. "I was saving this for some special occasion. And I think your engagement fits the bill." She handed the bottle to Brian. Then got the corkscrew.

Brian opened the bottle and removed the cork. Then poured wine for each of them.

From her chair, Sharon said, "Brian, will you do the honors?"

Brian stood and picked up his glass. He looked at Jen and Ken. "Humm! Setting aside the fact that you two fell out of a tornado. And some of us still have some rather serious questions on that. Yet, we are family. We grew up together. And ... that I have known you two all my life. You two have been and are the two best friends to each other that I know. Two friends who I have watched do anything and everything for the other."

"And Jen, we will not count the time you painted my toe nails green."

Jen began giggling. "It was his favorite color."

"I was asleep," declared Brian. "And it took me nearly a week to get it off."

Sharon and Ken laughed.

"And you Ken, we shall not count the time you threw me, in my jamies, at night, outside into a snow bank. Just because I ate the last piece of pie."

Ken chuckled.

Jen slapped Ken's arm.

Sharon covered her mouth as she tried to hide her laughter, "That I remember."

Brian raised his glass. "May you both know only joy and happiness together."

They all sipped their wine.

Jen smiled. "Thanks, Brian. That was very nice."

"Brian," said Ken.

"Yeah?" replied Brian as he sipped the wine.

"I'd like you to be Best Man."

"Oh!" said Jen, as she looked at Brian.

Brian gave him a questioning look. "You're not planning to toss me into a snow bank again are you?" asked Brian.

Ken chuckled. "I might ... if you mess up."

Brian spread his hands out. "In that case I accept."

Brian took another sip of wine and asked, "So, Aunt Sharon, what is on the marquee for tonight?"

Sharon replied, "The Christmas Carol."

"Good," said Brian. "Which one? The one with George C. Scott?"

"Nope," said Sharon. She smiled at him. "Better. Mickey Mouse!"

"Yes!" stated Brian excitedly. "Always loved that one."

Jen laughed. "Oh, please, Brian. His favorite actor is ... "

"Mickey Mouse," said Sharon and Ken in unison.

Jen glanced at her watch. "Brian, I need to take my meds."

Brian rose. "I'll get them."

"In my bag, the gray pouch."

"Okay," Brian left the kitchen.

"What do you have for meds?" asked Ken.

"Three different antibiotics for another thirty days. Two different pain killers. One for dull aches like my knees right now and one for when I do not want to feel anything its so powerful. I can't take it. I did once in Florida. I slept for about fifteen hours then could barely think for the next twenty-four. Good thing Mom and dad were there. Then there is the one I refuse to take."

"What?" asked Sharon

"It's a powerful anti-depressant," replied Jen. "In case I find myself getting PTSD." She looked at Ken then Sharon. "I have the prescription but refuse to fill it. She leaned against Ken. "I have my anti-depressant right here ... with family."

Jen glanced up at Ken and he hugged her to him. She then looked back at Sharon, "Which bedroom do you want me in?"

Sharon slowly smiled. "Jennifer, thank-you for asking. But as far as I am concerned, and your parents, you two were married once you accepted the ring." She nodded her head. "You have my permission to ... bunk down together."

Jen smiled at Sharon. "Thank you."

There was the thumping of footsteps coming down the stairs. Brian entered the kitchen with the small gray bag and handed it to Jen. "I put the rest of your stuff in the end bedroom."

Jen snickered.

"What?" asked Brian.

"They will be in 'their' room," stated Sharon.

"Oh!" said Brian, surprised.

"Brian," said Jen.

Brian quickly raised his hands waving them at her. "Too much detail for my poor brain."

Jen quickly got out the meds she wanted to take and took them with a couple of sips of wine. She then got up from the chair where she was seated next to Ken and moved over to Brian who stood.

Jen gave Brian a big hug. "Thanks, Brian."

He hugged her back. "Any time, Sis."

"Aunt Sharon," she said stepping over to her. "Thanks for making me feel at home. But... It's been ... a long couple of days and the trip. I'm exhausted. I'm going to have to pass on the movie. Sorry."

Sharon rose and gave her a hug. "Not a problem, Jennifer." She glanced at Ken. "I'll see you two in the morning. If you're up early enough we'll have breakfast at Pam's."

Ken rose. "Jen, can you do the stairs?" He grabbed the gray bag with Jen's meds.

Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers