All Comments on 'The Country Affair'

by sushi_taco

Sort by:
  • 35 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
thank you

this was such a wonderful story, please write more.

svenjollysvenjollyalmost 14 years ago
Excellent

Very well done. You definitely captured the reserved, austere style of Victorian england. Please keep writing!

DaisymellDaisymellalmost 14 years ago
Excellent

I loved it and I am hoping there is more to come. Maybe even a spin off of this for Elizabeth?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Great story!

Will there be a sequel?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago

One picky note, you used the title Ms at one point which is a recent creation, Mary would be refered to as Miss and sister as Mrs

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Grammar

This is excellent. Please watch out for "who" and "whom".

morningsdawnmorningsdawnalmost 14 years ago
Beautiful

I really enjoyed your story. You should think about adding some more twists and turns and expanding the story, you could easily become a published author. Please continue to write.

msjay123msjay123almost 14 years ago
omg

Are you kidding me??? That's it??? Nothing more?? I demand more LOL!!!! Right when it was getting REALLY good, you end it?!?! SOOOO not fair!!!

luv_romanceluv_romancealmost 14 years ago
nice story

i love this story. :) more like this please. :)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Loved it!

Maybe Elizabeth's story next? Loved this regency romance but if you do go the longer story, published route, please don't churn out those long, tortuous twist-and-turn type stories based completely on misunderstandings that could be resolved if the main leads just sat down and chatted for ten minutes. This one had just enough misunderstanding AND happy ending to keep the story light hearted. Keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Hot and Bothered

I am taking my husband when I am done typing this and f@*$ing his brains out. I think my tits got hard while I read; please cunt-inue to write this super sexy shit!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Aaawww...

this was a fantastic story. I know you should keep writing!! Looking forward to more from you. One more thing... your two favorite foods, right?! Or could be two cultural heirtages? Or... :)

~Sarah~

leejamesleejamesover 13 years ago
awesome!

I loved this story and stayed enraptured the entire time, thank you for writing it and sharing it! Hope we see more from these two.

Also, the sex scenes were amazing, they went on for so long. You definately have a talent for this! :)

talismaniatalismaniaover 13 years ago
Absolutely Wonderful!

Your story grabbed me from the start and never let go. Your characters breathe and behave believably, and I love how you use social conventions to provide the necessary internal and external tension to fan the sexual flames. The sex fits, darn it, as tightly and perfectly as William and Mary.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
The historical atmosphere is so cool

The story is so great. Please write more about the historical romance, it was so romantic.

angin_berhembusangin_berhembusabout 13 years ago

i even can feel that i am Marry....you need to dwell more on this genre. So nicely written.

rosamundirosamundialmost 13 years ago
Excellent Writing, engaging characters, hot sex scenes!

I rated this a 5 despite a few historical mistakes that bounced me out of the story. Since everybody makes mistakes every day, I'm not grumpy enough to slight you for it. I adore your writing, _The Devil's Inheritance_ is also amazing, but I'd like to give a bit of feedback here, mostly because it might benefit other authors and potential authors. I assure you I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I'm an editor first and a writer second, and I know I appreciate actual useful feedback. And if you'd ever like editing from me, I'm signed up. :)

1. Parents of a girl who'd arranged her marriage in a fortnight to an earl, far from calling him out (for a duel), would cheer if they found them in bed together. It'd guarantee the union or his honor would be ruined. The Regency era is NOT the Victorian era. Sexual mores were much less strict. Even innocent, pure girls wore their shifts soaking wet ('damped down') to make dresses cling for dances, and men wore skin tight suede or silk breeches. If I were queen of the world, men would only be allowed to wear Regency clothing. :P

2. A duke's family just didn't travel without servants, and even if they had, there would never be a time when a guest cottage on an earl's estate would lack for them. The earl's servants might turn a blind eye, or any and all could be ordered away - though the family's would go straight to her parents - but there would always be some initially. Servants were notorious gossips, either way, and Mary would be suspicious if she didn't hear any in the house. Think of how angry Eliza Bennett is at Mr. Darcy for disrespecting her by just assuming he can compromise her reputation by visiting when he knows she is alone with only servants at Mr. Collins' parsonage. She knows the difference between infatuation and love, and a man who loved her would care enough not to put her in that position.

3. You slipped once and had Mary call a lord Mr. 'Title' instead of Lord 'Title.' I know it was a slip because this is the premise of your story! I'm elaborating for others.

Titled nobles' estate name(s) weren't their last names, due to inheritance vagaries and multiple holdings being common. Lord Byron was never "Mr. Byron." His name was George Gordon, and one addressed him as 'Lord Byron' when introduced, and for most people forever after, unless they mixed it up a bit with 'my lord' or 'sir' for variety's sake in conversation.

If and only if he asked, you would proceed to 'Mr. Gordon.' Close family and very close friends (bedding him didn't count) he might invite to use either 'Gordon' (most men) or 'George' (women or older men who ranked him). People who outranked him in some way might call him by those last uninvited, but it would be considered rude and presumptuous, so they would likely only do so to piss him off. Which, by the bye, was a bad idea in the case of Lord Byron particularly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Overall, very nice!

I agree about the historical inaccuracies, especially with the speech patterns. I was able to get into Mary's head, though, and I would love to read more of your work. I'm a big fan of historical fiction. Keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
LOLZ cunnilingus

You had me until: "She tasted like strawberries adrift at sea." Haha wut? Kinda spoiled the mood.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Loved it!

I finally read this and absolutely loved it. You write so well and rarely make noticeable mistakes (a huge issue with so many other authors on this site). I hope you write more about Will and Mary sometime! Keep up the great work!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Great story, but

You refer to their mother as Lady Louisa, which isn't right. That implies she is the unmarried daughter of a peer. She should be Lady Aubrey, showing she is the wife of Lord Aubrey. It may seem like something small, but I think it's those small mistakes that can really detract from a story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
further correction on naming

In response to the last comment, actually it can be Lady Louisa. Take for example Lady Catherine in Pride & Prejudice. If she wasn't titled then she would be referred to all the time as Mrs Beauclerk. I like your stories- very much hooked on the latest.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Boring...

I've seldom read a more boring story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
predictable

predictable predictable predictable predictable predictable predictable predictable

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Loved it!

I loved this story! I don't care what other's have said about predictability or boring. I absolutely enjoyed it. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
a good read

It was a bit rushed but I still enjoyed it!

FloribundaFloribundaover 8 years ago
oh my! *fans herself*

I'm always a fan of a regency-esqe story and this one was brill!

Shadowheart82Shadowheart82almost 7 years ago
Absolutely lovely

I've read this a couple of times now, and I don't seem to get tired of it. So well written and such solid characters. First time I read it, I jumped straight into your hades/persephone story after, and kinda skipped both duties and friends for a couple of days. Love your writing style!

dannisezdannisezover 6 years ago
A good read.

Lol...seems like everything worked out in the end.

This is a well written story portraying how society was conducted back in the day. I thought that the ending finished a bit prematurely but this is a lovely story none the less.

Well done and thank you for your creativity.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Beautiful

Could we have some more, kind sir?

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15almost 4 years ago

I think Will and her family got off too easily. She had no idea who he was. He needs to know that. Her family members need to know she intended to disavow the betrothal. Frankly she should anyway.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Such a wonderful read! I was so scared Mary was gonna throw it all away!

Horseman68Horseman68over 2 years ago
Great Little Story…..

….. and exceptionally well written. Bravos.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Lovely story. I don't know anything about the Victorian, Regency, etc. periods, but a well written romance is always appreciated.

WittonWittonabout 1 year ago

The Regency preceded Victoria’s reign by a decade and was noted for poor behavior - adultery and stuffing creditors foremost - the legendary stiffness of the Victorian period was the societal reaction

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous