The Descending of Jessica Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I adore you! You can drive a stick!" I said as I hugged him, then turned to everyone else and added "I can't believe you bought me another truck!" Brent held me firmly in his arms in case my legs again collapsed.

"Well" Allison said, "you wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for the last one. I'll never argue with you driving a truck again. But it's still not very ladylike!" she added with a grin.

"This one's a diesel," Brat said, although I doubt she even knew what it meant.

"You got me a Cummins? I love you so much!" I said while actually hopping up and down a little, and thus began another round of hugs.

Finally, the orderly brought me dinner and Allison said, "Ron, we should get going before the roads get bad."

"Here! Take the truck, it has 4 wheel drive!" I said, handing the keys back to Ron.

"So does the Lexus," he replied.

"Yeah, but this way I can watch it when you pull out!"

"Okay, that works for me. I like driving it, anyway," Ron grinned as Allison rolled her eyes.

"I know it must have cost you a lot. It may be years before I can repay you," I said.

"Well, it did, but insurance covered most of it. We can't take it with us, well, you know that already. And like Allison said, the last one saved your life. Whatever it costs, it's worth it. Besides, you don't repay gifts, dummy," Ron replied as he hugged me one last time before leaving.

After all the hugs, and then convincing Sarah that she would indeed see me again first thing tomorrow, everyone was filtering out the door when I sat down and opened Christmas dinner to find what appeared to be mushy turkey floating in some brownish gravy, potatoes, beans, corn and of course, jello, when Brent announced "Wait! I have one more gift... it's not a truck or a Harry Potter thing, or anything that cool, but I hope you like it."

Everyone stopped to watch as he unzipped his overnight bag and pulled out a Burger King sack and a bottle of Sprite. The sack held a Whopper with cheese and a large fry and was the most wonderful thing anyone had ever done for me, at least in the culinary sense. This, of course, led to more laughter, more hugs, and more "I love you's", but I finally got to eat the most wonderful dinner I could imagine at that point, even if there weren't enough napkins. I even ate the jello. It seemed lonely.

Okay, so I know you don't come to an erotic literature site to read about me getting my face sloppy with a big dripping hot Whopper. Well, come to think of it, maybe you do. Anyway, bear with me, we'll be getting to the dirty parts, eventually.

Brent, again, let me sleep with my head on his shoulder that night. And, once again, the nurse made him move in the middle of the night.

The treadmill the next day went fine. Although they took me there in a wheelchair, which was sort of humiliating. I was beginning to get my legs back, a little at least.

I had a chance to spend some more time with Carolyn, that afternoon, and she protested that I didn't need to keep my word about her and I living together in the spring. When I had promised that, I didn't think Brent and I would be married by then. In fact, I didn't even know if we would be a couple. But I didn't want to go back on it and Brent also felt it would be good to have someone else there to help me if I needed it; especially early on. Of course, he may have been hoping to join us in a romp. I don't know. The afternoon was quiet, though. Ron and Allison visited for a bit, then went shopping, leaving Sarah with me. We read together all afternoon while Brent watched football. I was looking forward to repeating this at our home instead of a hospital. But, for the moment, it felt very nice, normal and married. Late in the day, Ron and Allison returned, and with them brought the pastor who had agreed to do our service. We were supposed to go to some classes and counseling with him first, but he agreed that under the circumstances, he would give us the short form version at the hospital. We met most every afternoon that week talking about what we should expect and what our religion viewed as the importance of marriage. It was nice, actually. I didn't mind it at all and Brent seemed to enjoy it as well.

I mentioned to the Pastor several times about my physical limitations at this time and he told us about the whole "in sickness and in health" thing and stressed that if we could make it work without focusing on sex like so many couples do we would be ahead of the game. I thought about that a lot, and I agreed. Being unable to have sex would help us focus on the other things that were important: our love and caring for each other. I quickly became more comfortable with being married sooner rather than waiting until the doctors pronounced me fuckable.

After the Pastor left, Amber and Trisha stopped by for a visit. Both had been by frequently while I was out of it, and it was great catching up with them. I told Trisha about the marriage plans, as much as anything to confirm the original plan that I wouldn't be living on campus. As it turned out, she was planning to move in with Amber and her sister. Their lifestyles were more in line with each others than Trisha's and mine had been, so it was all for the best. Not to say Amber was as trampy as Trisha, but she wasn't in any hurry to settle down. And staying out partying with Trisha was something she apparently enjoyed. The big news for her, and this came as a total surprise, was she was in an on and off relationship with a guy named Michael we had graduated with. He was a really nice guy, but I never figured him to be her type, or vice versa. She was even thinking of transferring to his school in California after the spring semester which told me there was more than just a casual relationship, although she said she was still dating others if they appealed to her. We promised to stay in touch and in each other's lives, and it was nice having some girl friends, I mean, that I hadn't slept with. With Brent hanging around I wasn't going to get the low down on their romances, although they gave me the seed of an idea as to how to help Carolyn out if the time came.

Monday was more treadmill. This time while breathing through a tube and having my heart and blood pressure monitored while Rick, Dr. Jones, stood nearby, talking to me, in case I tried to die or something as my heart rate slowly rose. I was finally sweating again, and it felt great. I passed the stress test just fine. Then, after resting, went through an MRI that Dr. Jones was also pleased with. He announced that a few days of physical therapy and nutrition, to get my weight up a little, and I could be discharged. I met with the nutritionist who told me to stay the same on sugars and get more carbs and proteins to gain weight, plus keep exercising to gain muscle instead of fat. I think I knew all this, but every time I talked to a trainer they all had their own versions of what was a healthy diet and I personally believed they were all practicing voodoo rather than science most days.

After the MRI, I returned to my room to find Carolyn and Brent waiting. She had to hurry and catch her flight, but we had a chance to hug again. As she turned to leave she said "So I'll see you the first weekend in January, and I'll call when I get home, okay?"

"No!" I shouted. "If you're not back by then...."

"What is it, Jessie?" Brent asked as I began weeping.

"I'm going to get out before then. I need Carolyn for the wedding. We'll just have to wait." I cried.

"You'll do no such thing, Jessie!" Carolyn nearly shouted. "You aren't going to put off your wedding for me! Remember? I wasn't going to be in the December one, anyway. I'll be here for the one in June, I promise!"

"I....uh, it won't be the same without you. You're my maid of honor."

"I'll see what I can do. No promises, though, okay? I've been away from home so long my folks are starting to wonder what I look like. But, either way, you get married. Right now, Brent's spending all his time here with you. Once you're out, Brent's fair game to every slut out there. You grab him quick and don't let go, you understand me, girl?" she joked.

"Brent wouldn't do that." I whispered, barely audible.

"I know. He proved that to me at school all last year, and I'm glad you know now, too. So that is all the more reason to get married. I'll try to get back, but you get hitched and don't worry about me. Seriously, if you two can't make young love work there is no hope for the rest of us. You understand? " she asked.

"Yeah, okay. I love you, Carolyn."

"I love you, too, Jessie," she replied, then hugged me again.

With that, she was gone. I didn't know when I would see her again.

I turned to a quietly weeping Brent and realized he had heard all I had said about delaying our nuptials.

"Brent, uh, I know it sounds like I'm looking for an excuse to put the wedding off, but I'm not. I'd get married to you right now if we could. I just wanted Carolyn there. You understand?" I softly asked.

"I don't care about all that. You trust me again," he wept with his sad puppy dog eyes pleading with me and his hands in his lap as he slouched forward. I started to sit beside him, but he put his arm around me and guided me to sit on his lap like we had so many times before, even before we started dating, as we quietly held each other through our emotional storms.

We cuddled and watched football together and, late in the afternoon, Allison came by with Sarah. Brat took her customary spot snuggled beside me and read. She was getting really good and had torn through a number of books in my absence. Allison told me that she was demanding to go to the library a couple of times a week and spent all her spare time with her nose buried in a book. So, apparently, some good had come from that week, after all. With Allison and Brat there, Brent went home to again clean up and change. He returned about the same time Ron arrived. Ron was working this week apparently, or had that day, anyway. They stayed awhile and Donna, who was definitely working that day, two floors down from me, also stopped by. I had to go hit the treadmill again in the afternoon and, again, got to work up a much needed sweat. This time with Brat reading to me.

The week flew by as I got progressively stronger. I still wasn't running miles, but I could walk easily at a steady pace and no longer needed to call a nurse to go to the restroom. Brent continued to sneak me fast food and Rick marveled that I was gaining my weight back. On Tuesday, Brent showed me a small plastic card with his face in one corner and it took me a minute to realize it was his new student ID. Every afternoon, we would meet with the Pastor for an hour or so as he went over what it took to make a happy and lasting marriage. These included practical things like communication, finances and sharing time together as well as apart. I was like a sponge soaking it all in and Brent paid careful attention, too. I guess because we had spent so much of our youth in dysfunctional family situations it was more important to us than most. We valued each other and were both ready to work hard if necessary for our marriage to succeed.

Finally, the day came for me to leave and it could not have come sooner. By noon on New Year's Eve, I was wheeled out the door to my new truck and Brent wanted to help me into it. I assured him I had gotten in and out of a truck more times than he had and walked to the driver's side.

"Uh Jessie, you care if I drive?" he asked.

"I want to!"

"I know, but it just, you know, feels right. Besides, I want to show off my skills to my girl."

"Okay. I'll let you drive my truck one last time," I said with a wink and climbed into the passenger seat. The horsepower and torque was exhilarating as we drove off and I confess that Brent had gotten pretty good at driving a stick. I soon relaxed and enjoyed the feeling of being outside and not smelling hospital air. It was cold, but Allison had thought to bring me winter clothes. The cab of the truck was warm in almost no time at all.

As we arrived home, I thought of something.

"This is the second happiest I've ever been pulling into this driveway," I confessed.

"I guess the first was when Ron and Allison brought you here from the group home?" Brent said as he put the truck in reverse and shut her down then applied the parking brake.

"No, although that was pretty good, too. The happiest was after our first day of work last summer when this really great guy reminded me that I wasn't his actual biological sister and told me he loved me and I knew I loved him, too."

I leaned over and kissed Brent and our arms wrapped around each other. Our kiss must have lasted for minutes, if not days. No way of knowing for sure now. It was interrupted by a gentle pecking on the window. I looked up to see Sarah, who was barely able to see in, smiling.

"Come on! Its cold out here!" she shouted.

"In the last couple of months I think I figured out why you call her 'Brat,'" Brent smiled.

"Yeah, but she's so adorable!" I grinned.

We went in and found Allison decorating the great room for our wedding. Brent had managed to get a marriage license without me present by bringing a form by that we had to get notarized. Fortunately, the hospital business office had a notary. I was nervous, but overall, I felt pretty good. My headache had finally gone away and I wasn't getting dizzy when I stood up anymore. I could only do about 20 minutes on the treadmill, but Allison had one and I would spend a lot of time with it before school started. It may sound odd, but I was perhaps happiest about finally getting back to my own bathroom and shower. I knew where to set the faucets for the right water temperature there, and I was home.

Brat had taken my hand and dragged me in to show me the decorations, which she had helped with. Then I had a quick snack lunch Allison had made for us and I was off to my room to get ready. I showered and shaved and all that stuff, then wrapped myself in a towel and my bathrobe so I could sit at the vanity and try to remember how to do my makeup. As I opened the door to the bath, Donna and Allison were sitting on the bed waiting for me.

"Hey! I wasn't expecting anyone."

"Hi, Jessie, how do you feel?" Allison asked.

"Good. Not great, but I'm getting there."

"Jessie, can we talk a few minutes?" Donna asked.

"I'd like that," I replied as I took a seat at the vanity.

They looked at each other to see who would start first and, in the end, Donna began.

"Jessie, when I was your age, I already had you and was trying to work and support us. Your father wasn't in the picture. I never loved him and he never loved me. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, but you aren't one of them. I am so proud of you today. You just don't know. Here's the thing, though. I know you love Brent and I know he loves you. But if there is any doubt about getting married, I, well, we, want you to know that's normal, and it's okay. And, well, if you don't want to get married right now, everyone will understand. You've been through a lot and either way we all love you and we just want you to be happy. I'm not just saying this for me, or Allison, but for everyone including Brent. We've all talked about it, and we all will be at your side no matter what you decide."

Before I could say anything, Allison began, "Even Sarah." She smiled, then continued, "When I was your age, I was living in Panhellenic Hall with my sorority sisters. I was convinced I wouldn't settle down until I graduated and I was flirting with every cute guy I met and dating every guy that would ask me out so I would be sure to find what I wanted. I had this whole plan worked out where I would date a lot of different guys to find just the right mix of qualities I wanted before making a decision as to which I wanted to spend my life with. Like I was at Macy's trying on matching coordinates. Then this nerdy fellow named 'Ron' asked me out one night and since I didn't have anything better to do, I went. We had pizza and beer at some greasy local pizzeria. We talked until dawn and I never saw another guy again after that. We got married that summer before my sophomore year and I haven't regretted one day of it. I tried to get pregnant with a little girl just like you while he was in dental school and by the time he graduated I learned I never would. The thing I want to tell you is that you are still learning about yourself as you grow and you are going to learn things that make marriage easier and sometimes things that make it more challenging, but you can make it work if you both put forth the effort and love one another. And I have never seen two people more in love and better suited than you and Brent, including Ron and I. And if you do hit any rough spots your family, all your family," she said smiling at Donna, "will always be there to help out."

"So" she said, again glancing at Donna, "I guess what we're trying to say is we don't want to encourage or discourage you. We just want you to know that you can do whatever you want and we'll all still love and adore you. And if you want time to think about it, great. And if you know in your heart it's right, then that's great, too. Do you understand?"

"Yes. Its like you said in August. I can wait if I want to and no one will get upset, and no one will get mad, and everyone, including Brent I guess, will still love me. But you know what? I feel just the same now as I did then, maybe even more so. Our relationship has been tested by other people's lies and, well, deceit, and came out stronger in the end. I just wish I hadn't wasted a week not talking, and now I know what you mean about communication being so important. Even though I got mad at you that week for trying to get me to talk to Brent, I really should have thanked you, and so, well, now I am. Thanks for being there and trying. You taught me that we have to communicate, even when we are furious, if only to learn why we shouldn't be. So the only thing I'm worried about now is what I'm going to wear tonight, and if we'll have enough time to plan the June wedding, and well, whether its worth the expense of it after today." I smiled, happy that I was in a place of safety, love, and warmth.

"Oh well!" Donna exclaimed, "Since that's all decided, we have a surprise!"

Allison went to my closet and pulled out a garment bag, laid it on the bed and unzipped it.

"We picked it out for you, I hope you don't think that too presumptuous of us," Allison said.

Inside was a stunning white silk dress with a simple sweetheart neckline. It cinched at the waist with a large bow in the back then flowed out pleated to knee length with a lace overlay, a pillbox hat with a short veil and some white lacy underthings and hosiery. I gasped because it was so beautiful. It looked like something Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe would have worn. It was a classic that would never go out of style.

"I just need shoes," I said, almost under my breath as I stared at the dress.

"Jessie," Allison deadpanned, drawing my attention and pointing at Donna, who was smirking and holding up a pair of matching white heels.

"You all thought of everything! I can't ever thank you enough!"

"You only do this once. Well, twice in your case," Allison grinned.

Both got hugs, then a group hug, then a couple more individual ones just to be safe.

"Now! Let's get you ready.." Allison announced. "Donna, I'm thinking a French twist that puts her hair up, what do you think?"

"Will that work with the veil?"

"I think so, if we center it a little back on her, don't you think?" Allison said, as she folded my hair up in the back to demonstrate what she meant.

"I was thinking," I said until they both interrupted me.

"Hush!" they said in unison, then Allison continued, "We've been planning this for six weeks now and today is almost our last chance to use you as our grown up Barbie. We won't get to do this again until June. You just relax. We've got this."

123456...9