The Dryad and the Woodsman

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers

"Yes, that is the best day, for many reasons. Let us know the time and we will be there." Elmira said and smiled.

They left, smiling at the absent minded man as he rummaged through his papers. They waved goodbye to the young woman, who was dusting the pews. Two hours later, Elmira was trying to hold her temper.

"I'm sorry, but we need copies of the birth certificates to issue a marriage license." The snotty woman said.

"I don't need a piece of paper to prove who I am. My family has been here longer than this little town. It is you, who should prove to me, that you have the right to be here." The lady was about to retort, but saw something in Elmira's eyes that stopped her.

"Steady, Love..." Layn stroked her back. "Here is mine, and a copy of my divorce. Start working on that, and I'll talk to my bride." Layn told the woman.

"Yes... yes sir." She scooted out of their sight as fast as she could.

"Now love... I know it's silly, but these people have their need for their little pieces of paper. Your land is help by a writ. This is the same kind of thing. Why do you think the vicar made this a point?" He tried to reason with Elmira. "Just give them what they want. It's in your power. Just put a date on it from the last time you were in town."

"That would be lying...!" Elmira gasped.

"No, that would be giving them something they could believe. If they knew about you, they would have you on a table trying to figure out how you can be. Trust me Love. This is the way of the world now. It's all about stupid rules and unproven science. There are many who even say there isn't a God."

"Blasphemy...! That betrays the laws of nature." She gasped out. "I see then. Lying to a liar isn't a sin." She concentrated and put her hand on his chest.

Layn felt something warm and hugged his bride. "Easy now..." He kissed her. "We need to get this done or make a scene right here." He felt himself rise.

"T'is done..." She said and patted his breast pocket.

They waited until the lady wandered back before telling her. "I don't know why you need this, but here it is." The lady took the document and gasped. "Is there a problem?" Elmira snapped.

"It says you were born in seventeen seventy two."

"What year is it now?" Elmira asked.

"It's almost the year two thousand...." She stuttered.

"Then look again." Elmira made a dismissive gesture. "Do I look like I'm over two hundred years old?"

"Oh... oh, I'm sorry. I must need glasses. I'll process this right away." She scurried off again, looking back like she was being chased by a demon.

"No wonder they call you a witchy woman, if you toss off your magic like that." Layn laughed.

"I'll show you some magic." Elmira threatened with a gleam in her eyes.

***

They spent the rest of the spring up until their wedding, planting and making love whenever the mood struck. The week before Easter, they went into town to finalize the arrangements for the ceremony. It was as Elmira was looking at store bought dresses, that Layn noticed the small bump on Elmira's tummy.

"I'll have to weave room for the babe. It grows strong and big." She smiled at Layn as he stared. From then on, when he made love to Elmira, he did so slowly and softly. He didn't want to disturb his child as it grew in his wife's belly.

It was a soft day on Easter. Elmira had fresh blooms in her hair and on the long hem of her dress. It was a natural off-white and the folds artfully covered their child as they said their vows. The church was full, from all the people who wanted to see the elusive Miss Greenbrier and the newcomer get married. If they noticed the tiny hump of her womb, they were polite enough not to say anything.

Cob Mason, dressed in his Sunday's best, made a big production of giving them the deed to the twenty acres of adjoining land. Most knew it was in restitution, but it also saved face by making it look like a generous wedding gift.

There wasn't much time for well wishers, since the church had to get ready for the evening services. In the middle of the congratulations, Elmira leaned up to her husband's ear.

"We need to get home... trouble is coming. I can feel it." They made their way to Layn's truck and waved happily as they drove off to their honeymoon.

"What's the trouble?" Layn asked concerned, as soon as they were out of the church's parking lot.

"I don't know. All I can feel is trouble and a great test of our love coming. Thank God the babe is coming, or it might never have come." She placed her hands protectively over their child.

In the middle of the night, as they both couldn't sleep, Layn asked. "Do we need to go to the tree?"

"No, the trouble will come here. I'm sorry love, but you will have to make a terrible choice. I would prevent it if I could." She placed her hand on his cheek. "Everything will depend on which choice you make." She said sadly.

***

They didn't have long to wait. The next morning, Layn jumped awake at the sound of big trucks coming into his yard, killing the new grass and one even parked on his kitchen garden.

"What the hell are you doing on my land?" He screamed at them as they jumped out of their trucks.

"We're here to start cutting. We need to pull seventy tons of fresh wood out by month's end."

"Get the fuck off my land. There will be no cutting." He ordered.

"The problem is brother of mine. It's no longer your land. It's mine." He heard from his brother.

"The fuck if it is. What would make you think this is your land Tory?"

"The fact that I have the signed deed to the land." He smiled evilly. "I told you before. If I want it; I'll take it. Just like that slut standing behind you. I took her nightly while you slept. I would imagine that's my child she carrying." He laughed. "Now get off my land."

"You're a goddamn liar. I never signed that paper, and you never touched my wife!"

"Layn... Layn... again you are taking my throw-aways. God you are so stupid. While you were worrying away, waiting for your bride, I was fucking her enough to stand being next to you on the honeymoon, but if you did marry this bitch, that means her land is mine too. Mother will explain it to you." He smiled again as his mother and ex-wife climbed out of a car.

"Layn it is time for you to come back home." His mother said. "Clarisse is willing to forgive you. It is time to put the money back into the family's trust. We have the right to it. The money was your father's and should have gone to me and Tory. We are only taking what is rightfully ours."

"The hell you say. Prove it in court. But until then, get the fuck off my land. All of you."

"Don't tell me you're going to believe anything that hussy has to say. She married you just to take your land from us. She knew this was going to happen. She just struck first. Think about it Layn. How long after I left last time was she pregnant. You always do choose the wrong woman. You're too stupid to know what's best, so I'll do it for you." Tory sneered in triumph.

"Elmira, go call the Garda... or someone is going to lose their life." Layn grabbed his ax. "The first one of you, who thinks they can come on my land, will do so over my dead body." He hefted his ax ready for a fight.

Tory was taken aback by the violence in his brother eyes. For the first time in his life, he wondered if he had gone too far. Shrugging, he knew he needed the money to pay his debts and he would take the land and the wood. It was his right as oldest.

"Now son, be reasonable. It's what's best for you. You're sitting on a gold mine and refusing to share with the family. We had to act in the best interest of things." His mother said, trying to placate him enough to get what she wanted from him again.

"Mother, take that bitch with you when you go. I'll see you in court." He spat on the ground at his mother's feet.

"What about our equipment?" the site Forman asked.

"Take it with you. I'll be sending you a bill for the damage." Layn ordered.

"You said there wouldn't be any problems. You said you had the right to sign the contracts." He turned on Tory.

"I showed you the deed. I have every right." Tory snapped, irritated his authority was in question.

"You have no right in this wood." Elmira finally spoke up.

"Oh shut up whore. I'll tend to you later. What line of bullshit did you feed my brother to hide our affair?" Tory sneered down at Elmira.

"Don't say another word... none of you! Get the fuck of my land!" He took a threatening step toward his brother, flexing his arms, moving the ax at neck height. "I wouldn't be the first man to kill his brother over a woman or land, and I'm sick to death of you." He stood there like a statue as they all got back in their vehicles and made a bigger mess of what was his front yard.

When they left, Elmira came up to him and tried to say "I'm sorry..."

"For what...?" Layn snapped. "Tell me what you are sorry for!" His eyes gleamed red with his anger

She saw the visions of his ex-wife and his brother smiling at him as they rutted like animals, laughing at him as he tried to be the dutiful husband. "Don't fall for his lies." She said, not knowing if he even heard her anymore. It broke her heart, but she couldn't get through the rage burning in Layn. Now she knew how he was strong enough to kill the Banshee.

Turning she whistled for Roan. Jumping on the big horse's back, she told him with the coldness in her heart. "I will be at the tree if and when you make your choice." She didn't wait as she gave Roan his head and disappeared over the hill. Layn's roar of rage followed her all the way until she closed the limbs of her tree and wept into her bower.

Layn went up to the long log he was adzing square for the new room he planned on adding for their children. Blinded by rage and visions of his brother having sex with both his ex-wife and Elmira, he started swinging his ax.

He brought it down time and time again until the sturdy handle of the ax snapped and the head went flying into the woods. That didn't stop Layn as he started using his hands to destroy the beam that was to be the support of his future.

"Ho now, what are you about...?" It was Cob Mason who came upon Layn hours later. "This is no way for a newly married man to be acting."

"I've been such a fool...!" Layn shouted and bloodied his knuckles again.

"So, I take it this is about those people who call themselves relatives' of yours? Coming to town, making all kinds of outlandish claims?" Cob asked, keeping his distance from the enraged man.

"They will destroy everything. They always have and always will. I don't know why this time will be any different."

"What is this about you already having a wife?" He looked at the haggard man and felt sympathy for him.

"My brother can have her. He supposedly took her on my wedding day. I caught her enough times with other men. I divorced her and ran like a coward. Now they are here and going to ruin this beautiful forest.

"She looked like a right hussy to me. Already caught her making eyes at the O'Malley boy; with him not old enough to know a real woman when he sees one. My daughter Sally will set him straight. Where is your wife? I could use some of her excellent coffee." He asked trying to jolt Layn out of his apathy.

"She left. She went home." Layn sobbed.

"Ho now...! Time to pull you head out of your arse boy. That woman dotes on you. I saw that the first time I met her. She's no trollop to be talking to the likes of that ass who calls himself your brother. If he's your brother then I'm a jackass." Cob nodded and pulled out a flask. "Here take a sip of this. It should clear the fog out." He handed Layn the flask and watched wide eyed as Layn tilted it back.

As the flask came down, the air whooshed out of Layn. "Damn, that has a kick." Layn gasped, trying to pull air back in his lungs.

"Kill ya or cure ya, it will put some hair on your balls." Cob laughed as Layn tried to catch his breath.

"Thanks, I needed that... I think." Layn sat down and hung his head.

"So, tell me what kind of crap these city folks are trying to pull?" Cob said and sat next to Layn and took a nip from the flask.

Layn told Cob about how his brother was trying to log the land and since he and Elmira had got married, he wanted to annex her land as well. He went on to tell Cob part of his history and how he was able to buy the land. When he was done, he looked down at the ground and kicked a clod of dirt,

"Damnation boy, that's a right mess. I can help stop him from getting to Greenbrier lands. I can take back that twenty acres and not allow him passage. You're going to have to fight him for your land. No two ways about it. Good thing Abigail's cousin is the Magistrate in these parts. I'll have her put a bee in his ear. Straight and narrow sort he is. But a good man all the same." Cob said slapping his knee.

"Thank you Cob..." Layn said.

"Now, what you going to do about that stubborn proud woman you married?" He asked without hesitation. "She's a Greenbrier lad. They are all strong willed. They had to be, to keep their land free as long as they have. But trust me boyo, she bleeds when you're cut."

"I'll have to wait until she sends back our horse, then I'll have to go after her." Layn sighed, knowing Cob was right. He couldn't figure out why he let his brother cast doubt on the love he had with Elmira.

"I wouldn't wait that long. Take that fancy cart of yours and go get her boy. I'll watch the homestead against those city folk." Cob shooed him off. "I've got my flask to keep me company." He nipped at it again.

"Make yourself at home. I'll be back shortly." Layn said and grabbed the key to the all terrain vehicle.

Elmira stood in front of her tree. She felt Layn coming, but couldn't fathom his thoughts or feelings. She hated being closed off from her husband, but knew he had to make the choice. She wondered how he had made it so fast, since Roan had ran off to the east, chasing the mare in heat. She smiled at the sound of his little cart as she heard the motor. She reached down and stroked Greymane.

"It's alright. It'll not harm you." She stroked his thick fur and waited. She frowned as Layn pulled up and didn't get out of the cart. He just sat there and looked at her. It took all her will to not run to him, but she still couldn't figure out which choice he made. She knew it must be hard for him to choose her or his family.

"It's not much of a choice at all." Layn finally said, answering her thoughts. "You're my family. They're just golems who bring wrack and ruin everywhere they go." He smiled.

"I thought you thought that I had... in your mind I saw. I could never."

"Yeah, Tory knows what buttons to push. He always did.... But remember he doesn't know who or what you are. I do."

"And what is that?" Elmira asked uncertain.

"My wife... my beautiful fae-woman, and the mother of my children." Layn said as he stepped off the cart.

"Oh, Layn... I couldn't feel you... I was so afraid." As she walked to him, her dress started slipping off.

"None of that now...! We have to get back. Cob Mason is waiting for some of your coffee." He held the dress up as it wanted to fall. "I love you woman, but we don't have time right now, spring or not." He pulled her close, so she could feel his hardness. "Put that back on and get in." He kissed her and pushed her toward the cart. "Greymane, watch the tree. There might be some trespassers. Make sure they regret it." He told the grey wolf that looked at him with a smile on his face.

On the way back, Layn had to ask. "So, why did you run like that?

"The choice had to be yours. I couldn't... You had to make it alone. I couldn't and won't stand between your family and you. I had to give you the freedom to choose, just like you gave me." She sobbed quietly.

"Bullshit...! The choice t'was already made. We are man and wife and nothing will come between us. Especially those people!"

"Yes dear..." She smiled, wiping her eyes. "I'm sorry, I won't do it again." She sighed and leaned against him. "What are we going to do about them? He does have your deed. I felt that much when he was standing there. It was the only thing he wasn't lying about. Well about that, and about the woman."

"He took it without permission then, and we'll have to see what can be done about that. Cob said we can block him from your lands."

"Love, all the land is now ours. That bond can't be broken. If they kill off your land, it will take part of mine with it. The land is the land and even I don't have the power to stop it."

"I do... the biggest thing we need to do, is get my deed back. Then I can see who he used to forge my name. It isn't the first time he's pulled this trick."

"What does it look like?" Elmira asked.

"I have a copy at home. I'll show you." He looked at her. "Why, what are you planning?"

"It's like you said love. He doesn't know who or what I am. Just bring the copy and it will all work out." she smiled slyly.

Layn wanted to ask more, but they were pulling up in front of the cottage. Cob was waiting for them. "Thanks for watching the place, Cob. I don't trust Tory as far as I can throw an outhouse."

"I hear ya... one of them fancy lawyer people was out here looking for you. I told them you were up at the Greenbrier estate. I suspect he'll spend the better part of a week looking for it, and then he'll be back."

"Let me get you some coffee for your trouble." Elmira said as she rushed into the cottage.

"That will be alright miss. The missus has dinner waiting for me. Maybe next time." Cob nodded and stepped off the porch. "Hey, by the way, do you know who owns a dark brown stud. He's been pestering my mare for weeks now."

"That'd be Roan. Whenever she rides him up to her home, he wanders off. He's good breeding stock." Layn said grinning.

"As long as you're not after the foal or a stud fee, we'll see where nature takes it." Cob nodded.

"Just let him loose when they're done. He knows where home is." Layn shook Cob's hand sealing the deal. "I might even buy the foal if we can strike a fair deal."

"We might at that Layn." Cob smiled and walked out into the night.

***

It only took the processes server two days to figure out there was no longer a Greenbrier Estate, even though it was listed on the map. He showed back up and asked. "Are you Layn Taylor Wyman?"

"That would be me. Whatcha got for me?" Layn asked, giving the weasely looking man a hard look.

"I'm just doing my job... no need for violence, but you are served." He tossed a packet of paper at Layn and ran in the opposite direction.

"What a coward." Elmira said watching him flee. "What does it say?" She asked and hugged Layn from behind.

"About what I expected. He's giving us thirty days to vacate his property. He also wants all other paperwork on any lands now encumbered with this parcel. He thinks he's going to take all the land and harvest it. He's even put in a planned community on the acreage, with him as the developer. He trying to make it look like he is bringing in new jobs, while he steals everyone blind." He flipped the pages and Elmira felt him tense up.

"What's wrong Love?" She asked as his mind clouded away from hers.

"He wants a paternity test of your child, if you are pregnant, to prove it is his. He's claiming that you intended to marry him and promised him your land while he was up here. He's using your pregnancy as proof."

"Why would he say something like that? He has to know it's not his. I never touched him, let alone lay with him!" She shivered at the thought.

"He thinks it will make you look bad, and he'll use Clarisse as proof that he has done it before... Cuckold me that is. It's just his way of proving to me how superior he is. He thinks that no matter what, if he can sling enough mud, some of it will stick. He doesn't care who he hurts, as long as he gets his way." Layn sighed sadly.

Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers