The Dryad and the Woodsman

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers

"What a vile man. I dread his judgment. Doesn't he know he has to answer for his actions?" Elmira asked confused.

"No, he's conveniently forgotten what he learned in Sunday school. He claims he's the master of his own destiny or some such crap. He went to some entitlement seminar and came home spouting this bilge. My mother and brother bought into it too. They think the rich are rich for a reason, and it is okay for them to do what is necessary to stay rich. It's their entitled destiny."

"How did you escape?" Elmira asked stunned.

"I escaped to the army when I was old enough. I tied up every penny I had, in long term investment accounts, so they couldn't touch it. I took my inheritance and squirreled it away, so Tory, my mother, nor my ex-wife could get to it. I did it in such a way that my investments always showed a loss. After the divorce, I cashed out and bought the land before they knew what happened. They feel I cheated them somehow. This is my punishment and their right to stay rich off my land and labor."

"Are you sure you're even related to them. I do not get the same feel off them as I do you." She asked hopefully.

"Unfortunately, yes, I'm related to them, even though I no longer consider them family. Enough of this..." He put the packet in his shirt. "It says we have to be in court next week if we plan to fight the eviction."

They spent the rest of the week fixing the yard, garden, and fence the big trucks had damaged.

***

When they entered the Court house, they were met by Layn's mother. She came up to Layn, ignoring Elmira. "Layn, you need to come to your senses. We are willing to give you your fair share. But we are taking that land and making good use of it. We have the plans approved and everything. You can't stop this."

"Woman, don't talk to me. I will tell you now, after this is done, I never want to hear from you again. You have your favorite son, and I wish you peace. But, from here on, you and the rest of them are dead to me. If you call, I will not answer. If you write, I will not open the letter. You brought this on yourself with your greed." He wanted to say more, but responded to Elmira's soft touch.

"Mrs. Wyman, I feel sorry for you. You will not have any grandchildren to call you grandma. Our child and future children will know nothing of you. If you spread anymore lies about me, you will face my wrath." Elmira's eyes turned smoke grey and flat, causing Layn's mother to step back. "I am not some powerless peon to walk over. My family has ruled this land for over a millennium and we will continue far into the next or until God calls us home."

"Let's go Love." Layn pulled his wife away from the woman who was once his mother.

"T'is done..." She said and tapped his breast pocket. "We'll thank your mother before this day is over. She gave me the strength to do what was necessary."

"Forget her love. Let's get this done." He held her as they walked to the benches outside of the Court.

They refused to acknowledge Tory and his Lawyer. As they walked in, Elmira leaned over and whispered for Tory's ears alone. "Spread none of your lies or face me." She waved her hand and held his gaze until he flinched back. Elmira nodded and grabbed Layn's arm leaning on him suddenly tired.

"What's wrong...?" Layn asked.

"T'is the babe... takes much of my strength, this child of yours does." She smiled up at him and sighed.

Once they were in front of the Magistrate, Layn stood there with his wife behind him. Tory had his lawyer and mother with him as they were called to order. As soon as the Judge sat down, Tory's lawyer started into this long speech about the land and rights to use it. He waxed on and on about how his client had the right and how they were going to improve the land for the betterment of everyone involved. He was getting to the point of bringing Elmira's name into it when Layn had listened long enough.

"Your honor, I'm sure this man has a pretty little speech all memorized. I thought we were here to see who owns the land in question. I say let them show their proof before they slander themselves any further by bringing my wife into this. I say, if he is lying about the land, he's lying about everything." Layn took a protective step in front of Elmira and toward Tory.

"This is highly unusual, but you have a point. If this is a simple ownership matter, let the party's show their deeds and we'll be done with it." The Magistrate said looking at both parties.

"Here is the deed for the land and all adjoining lands." Tory said with triumph in his voice as he handed the bailiff his copy of the documents.

"How can you be sure? It looks to me like a bad copy." He took off his glasses and squinted at the paper and set it aside. "Now your claim." He looked over his glasses at Layn

"Yes you honor. These are the papers the real-estate woman who helped me purchase the land, brought to me after the required waiting period." He took out the parchment forms and handed them to the bailiff.

The Magistrate looked over the documents and turned them over to see the plot numbers listed on the back. "Hmm, these look much more like the real thing."

"As you can see, nowhere on that document, have I signed over any rights to my land. I'm sure my wife and I will join our lands together and make a bigger Greenbrier Wood."

"Greenbrier, you say?" The Magistrate looked up.

"Where did you get that? I took it...!" Tory gasped, when he realized that Layn had the original document.

"You took it from where?" the Magistrate said coldly. "Missus Greenbrier, or is it Wyman now?" He addressed Elmira.

"Yes sir...? It is still Greenbrier, as will it be for all my daughters as you know from the original writ." She answered.

"Is this plot of land now attached to the Greenbrier Holding?" He looked astonished to have a local legend in his court. Especially one that hasn't been seen or heard from, since he was a small child.

"Yes, and as so, it is absolute. The Greenbrier Holding will remain as it is and it has been for over twelve hundred years. It will go to one of my daughters' if I have more than one. It will stay in its natural state and cannot be sold or parceled off. Only a female Greenbrier heir can alter the trust with the signature of a male heir of the Land Barron who Laurel Greenbrier signed the original writ with, as part of her dowry for marriage. As far as I know, that Land Barron has no living descendants. Greenbrier Estates is a Fee Estate in its entirety." Elmira said with steel in her voice.

"What about my right to govern for my heirs...?" Tory blurted, trying to force the issue.

"Don't you dare speak your slander to me or my husband! I will not abide your lies. I wouldn't touch you, so you took retribution against your own blood. All because he could have what you could not touch. This child was conceived on All Saints Eve or the Christ's Mass as you know it. It was the night we troth blighted to each other. We are man and wife in the eyes of man and God and you will not speak ill of it or its issue." Elmira had swelled with her anger. Layn could feel her power as she readied to lash out.

"Calm... calm down Love...." He put his hand on her. "The babe, think of the babe."

"Yes, I see.... I think I can see clearly enough to rule on this matter." The Magistrate said, smoothing the hair down on his arms. 'No wonder they call the Greenbrier's witchy women. She has the power to spare. And, a bearing more regal than a queen's He thought to himself before clearing his throat.

"As I was saying.... Having the documents in front of me, I now can rule on this matter." He looked at Tory and the lawyer. "I find your claim without merit. You have no claim against the plot of land or its caretakers or their descendants. As for the petition for a DNA sample, I deny it. I have no reason to believe you had relations with Miss Greenbrier, and if... I say if... you did, the heir would be governed by the original writ. You have no rights here at all. I also hereby charge you with Court costs for bringing this matter here in the first place."

Looking at Layn and Elmira, he said. "Congratulation on your Marriage and the child. May you live a long prosperous life. It has been my pleasure to actually meet one of the famed Greenbriers. I hope we can be friends." He cleared his throat. "Case Dismissed."

As they walked out of Court, Layn's mother ran up to them, pale faced. "Layn, can you ever forgive me? Tory said we had the right. I was only trying to do what was in your best interest."

"No Gail, you were doing what was in your and Tory's best interest. Yes, I might be able to forgive you some day, if it is God's will that I do." He paused at the look on her face. "But, it will not be today. Go home Gail, you are no mother of mine." He gathered up Elmira in his arms and walked out to his truck, opening the door for his lovely pregnant wife.

"How could you trust me after what he said?" She asked softly as Layn climbed in.

"Because my Fae-Woman... the magic. You were whole when you came to me. The magic said you can take no other save your one true mate. I'm sorry if he caused even a second of doubt. For good or ill, I love you and you are my wife." They drove home in silence, until they were met at their gate by Cob Mason and his wife.

"I heard you sent them city slickers packing." Cob said with a big smile. "I thought the ladies would like to get acquainted seeing we're neighbors and all."

"Yes, come on in." Elmira said happily.

"Here, I found this. The handle was broke so I fashioned a new one out of some old hickory I had laying about." Cob handed Layn back his ax.

"Thank you. I didn't see where it flew too." Layn said gratefully.

"T'was nothing. That's what neighbors are for. So you want another nip of my flask?" He smiled.

"You'll do nothing of the sort Cob Mason." His wife said.

"Ahh Abby, just a little one... to wet the babes head as it were." Cob asked contritely.

"Remember it is still spring..." Elmira said meaningfully. "I don't want to be smelling corn mash on you tonight."

"Yes dear." Layn said, as he politely declined the offer.

"What a fine fix. Once that babe's born, I'm getting you knee walking drunk, I am." Cob said and put his flask back.

***

Spring turned into summer and summer into fall, as Elmira got bigger than a house. "A strong strapping babe this will be." She would puff as the weight pulled her down.

As September's chill wind started blowing, Elmira felt the urge to find the tree. She knew where it should be but hadn't found the exact one yet. She didn't tell Layn that she was going out as she wrapped herself in the nice shawl Abby Mason had made for her.

Layn could feel the wind pick up and smelled the rain in it. He turned Roan back to the barn, looking forward to holding his wife and child in his arms again. As soon as he entered the yard, he knew something was wrong. The light that Elmira had been lighting was dark. Jumping off the horse, he ran into the house, calling for his wife.

Finding the house empty, he ran back out as the first rain drops fell. "Find her... Find your mistress."Layn called out to the big brown horse.

Roan bolted into the dark woods, sure footed in his path. He knew where he was going. He had felt her there. The lightning cracked as he jumped the gully that once was the border. Seeing his mistress, he reared up, calling to her.

Elmira was sobbing. She knew both the tree and her time were close. She spun as she heard her husband and Roan. "No... Not like this... I can't lose them all." She screamed as her water broke.

"Elmira.... What are you doing out here. You'll catch your death." Layn screamed over the wind.

"Her tree is close... I can feel it, but I can't find it. I've been having pains for days now. " She groaned with the contraction, grasping onto Layn's arm. "She'll die if I can't find it."

"You are that close? Let me get Abby... she's a birthing woman." Layn tried to get his wife to come with him.

"I can't. I know what has to be done. I...." She tripped between a mated pair of strange saplings. Hitting her knees, she cried out. "It's time. I can't wait. I can't." she started panting as she shoved her clothes away.

Lightning flashed as she screamed out her agony. "You must catch our daughter. Here she comes." Elmira groaned as she pushed.

Holding his wife's gaze, Layn put his hands between her legs. After a hard push, he felt tiny hairs in his palm. Looking down, he saw the tiny head, with eyes shut, straining to come into the world. Leaning down, he supported the baby's head as her mother pushed. A second later, he held a tiny little girl, her hair matted by the birth fluid and rain.

"That's it Love. She's here. Lay down now and let me cut her cord." Layn said with wonder in his voice.

"I'm not finished. I can't, I don't know... I have to push!" she shouted as another contraction ripped through her frame. In the night, they could hear a pack of wolves howl as she contracted again.

"Mother of God...!" Layn said as he held the babe in one arm and saw the tiny head of another. He held on the best he could as the other little girl squirmed into his hand.

Elmira fell back between the saplings, exhausted. It didn't matter to her that the rain was falling. She needed its nourishment. She was just afraid that her daughters would die. She never thought it might have been twins.

As Layn laid a daughter on each of her breasts, he told her. "Hold on to them Love. I have to make sure you are done and cut the cord at the right moment." He felt the pulse of his wife and daughter in the thick cord that connected them. As soon as the pulse stopped, He tied the cord with a twine and cut it.

Repeating the steps, he didn't see his daughters flail their tiny hands and make contact with the saplings. He looked up as his wife gasped and felt the magic flow.

"It's alright Elmira... but you have to push out the afterbirth." He coached, as her eyes showed the wonder she felt. She flexed her abdomen one last time, and Layn buried the afterbirth at the base of the twin trees with his knife. Holding himself over his family, he asked. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, yes, we're alright, all of us. Their trees are singing to me... can you hear it? Such young sweet voices."

"No my Fae-Woman, but I trust you when you say they are. We have to get you and the girls back to the cottage. Can you stand? I can carry you if we can get you three up on Roan's back." She wiped the rain out of his eyes as the big horse walked up, knowing he was needed.

They helped Elmira stand up when she said she was ready. Layn laid her gently across the back of Roan. Handing her one of the babies, Layn held the other in the crook of his arm, as he held onto Roan's halter and mane, pulling himself up. Once he was seated, he looked down at his daughter, who opened her lavender eyes and looked back at him with complete trust.

"Hold on there, little one. I have to get your mother and sister." He told the babe in his arms. It took some doing, but Layn finally managed to get Elmira in his arms, while she was holding the peapod twins, wrapped in the shawl.

"Slow and easy boy." Layn told Roan, who turned and softly walked back toward home. Layn wasn't paying attention, but laughed as Roan stopped in front of Elmira's tree. "Good boy..." He patted the horse.

Layn held on tight as he slid off the horse and flexed his knees as he hit the ground to absorb the shock. Without stopping, he entered the shelter of the tree and laid his wife and children on the low bower, where Elmira was born.

"I never thought it might be twins." Elmira said in a drowsy slumber. "I've never seen that type of tree before. Do you know what kind it is?" She asked her husband.

"If they are what I think they are, then they are a special type of redwood tree. I went to this huge old forest once. There was this special grove. I bought as many packets of their seeds as I could. They like rich moist soil and long cold winters. They never stop growing. They are among the oldest and tallest trees alive. I scattered some of the seeds when I first got here. They can take decades to sprout. They are very hard to burn down." Layn said stroking his wife.

"How old do they become?" She asked looking at her daughters.

"There is one that is over three thousand years old. He has seven other trees over five hundred years old growing in his branches that stretched over five acres of land. There was this one set of trees, like out daughter's that had five of them growing together, making a perfect semi-circle.

"Five...! I don't think so Boyo... I'm not carrying five. You better have spread those seeds farther apart than that." Her eyes snapped open as she raised her voice, waking the girls. "Now see what you've done. Hold this one while I nurse the other."

"What are we going to name them?" Layn asked again looking into the lavender eyes of his daughter.

"I don't know yet. I'll have to ask the trees. They have a say in this." She smiled as the tiny lips found the swollen nipple and babe started suckling.

"How are we going to tell them apart?" He asked in awe, as he leaned back and watched his family with wonder.

"We will..." Elmira sighed, as she watched her husband fall asleep, protecting their children. "Oh, what magic you have given me, my love... I can see more children than I care to think about right now. But that won't stop you, my fine woodsman." She sighed again as she swapped the girls, so one sister could share in her father's warmth and the other could take her first drink of mother's milk, as her tree closed out the rest of the world.

Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers