All Comments on 'The Gift of the Magic Lump of Coal'

by EllaRegina

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
lordchilworthlordchilworthover 15 years ago
a rare talent

thank you for the unexpected gift of literature at literotica

PrincessErinPrincessErinover 15 years ago
Great

A well written piece although I'm a teacher and use the original story in my class sometimes. You have me traumatized though. I will now think of sex when I read that story :)

LawrenceDLawrenceDover 15 years ago
Classic

May he turn over in his grave; this is wonderful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
????

What a lovely twist on the original. Loved it

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
One in Four Million!

lordchilworth is right: most stories at Literotica are far more erotic than literate. Weaving literacy, eroticism, and humor into a single short story is indeed a rare talent and a rare gift to Lit's readers!

KinseyCloneKinseyCloneover 15 years ago
Way better than frankincense & myrrh

The Winter Holiday Contest has a winner. Thank you for the early Xmas present.

sacksackover 15 years ago
Pretty amazing....

I know how hard this is to do, and I appreciate your masterful writing. After reading one contest entry after another that is nothing more thsn a stroke story, this tale is so welcome! Bravo to you!!!!

ScottishTexanScottishTexanover 1 year ago

For the time period represented in the story, I'm nearly certain that shaving off pubic hair was never done. If it was done, then it certainly wasn't the fad that has presented itself in modern times.

William Sydney Porter is one of my favorite authors and I've been to his home in Austin, Texas several times. I have an early edition printing of Whirligigs passed down to me from my father. If The Gift Of The Magi wasn't the first O Henry story that I ever read, then The Ransom Of Red Chief certainly was. The Gift Of The Magi is my favorite of all of his writings though, without any doubt. Porter was absolutely the king of irony. The one O Henry story that I hated the most is one that I can't remember the name of. But it tells the story about a young man who is trying to locate his sweetheart. He follows his last lead to a boarding house and inquires about her, only to be told by the owner that she's never seen or heard of this female he's searching for. He decides to rent a room from her and commit suicide there by sealing the room air tight and using the gas lamps unlit to suffocate himself. The last paragraph reveals that the owner lied to him. His love had committed suicide in the same exact room using the natural gas just days before he arrived. I always hated that story!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous