All Comments on 'The Girl From Yesterday'

by DG Hear

Sort by:
  • 30 Comments
bruce22bruce22over 13 years ago
Great Read

Romantic as all get out! Good to see DG here.....

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
As usual! GREAT

Truly a fine story. You are one of the premier authors here. There is only a small band of you (the Wander is included in this band).

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 13 years ago
Calvary?

When I read "5th Calvary Regiment" I was certainly disappointed. But when you mentioned it again, you correctly used "Cavalry". <br> <br> Nice story, well told, but just too predictable.

DG HearDG Hearover 13 years agoAuthor
Thank you!

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to leave a comment. Jake and I really appreciate it. A big Special 'Thanks' to Jake for taking the time to co-author this story with me. He is the master when it comes to detail. I do hope you all enjoyed it.

With respect

DG Hear

KoreavetKoreavetover 13 years ago
except...

in combat you are guilty until proven innocent. The granny or little kid just might be holding a surprise.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 13 years ago
Well Done Gentlemen

Enjoyed the story and the memories that it brought up concerning VN. I was fortunate in not having to spend time in that hell hole but my brother had three tours over there. The stories he told were very similar to what "Mike" said.

I disagree that your tale was too predictable, I've seen you two throw twists in at the end of some of your stories. I kept hoping that Mike and Mel would get together and worried that they wouldn't.

Thanks for your hard work. Keep on keeping on.

woodmanone

dave_magicdave_magicover 13 years ago
Viet Nam ws No Picnic

Once and awhile you get a story that you can relate to. Something tells me that the author knew from first hand experence what US servicemen lived through back then. Many a lonely holiday, and telling everyone that you would stay and send the married ones home, for some of us had nothing waiting for us.

This story hit home and I visited that time with this story. Thank you.

LakesLakesover 13 years ago
Wonderful story, gentlemen. Just wonderful...

Tight plot and strong emotional content, touching...

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Pretty Good

Good story. Well written but if I may nitpick for a moment.

The portion where it was Mel narrating was strangely out of synch, it could have been written by one of the two authors so obviously the style is different. The language was so different, very simplistic and childlike with sentences 6 words long. It somehow did not ring true from a supposed nurse. In fact if our soldier hero narrated that way, it would have been more acceptable as his skills seem to be less complex and more physical.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Very good story

Disagree that it was too predictable, or else I wasn't looking. This story could have easily gone off in other directions and ended up being remembrance. Keep up the good work.

wayseriwayseriover 13 years ago
good, DG

DG, you do it again, stir up my emotion with the lyrics... ah you two, thanks for sharing this well written story. Plain, but lovely still.

AcatnamedsamAcatnamedsamover 13 years ago
What about the last part?

The last part of the song is:

"The light's on in the window; she's waiting by the phone

Talking to a memory that's never coming home

She dreams of his returning and the things that he might say

But she'll always be the girl from yesterday "

This never happened.

sailordblj1966sailordblj1966over 13 years ago
Great work guys

Really liked the work and the emotions that went with it. Keep up the great work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

me and my gf read this we both LOVED IT....she cried i calmed her down then we immeditly made love right after. GOOD JOB

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
WOW

This one hit home. After basic I went to Gordon for signal training. After my training I spent 2 months stoking the coal heaters at the school as I waited for orders. In 65 I went to Nam with the 54th Sig Bn as part of the First Field Force. To top it off, a buddy, who lost a foot to a booby trap, did become a cop in his local community.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
its too bad

Not everyone who went to Nam came home, not everyone came home well and some come home to a fucked life. Today is Memorial Day 2011, now we are seeing it again now from raghead town. read "the Creature from Jeykell Isand" ir you really want to know why we are there.

those of us who survive must move on somehow no matter what

Good story and too damn close to the truth and thankfully you left out the shit. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
... another GREAT one!!

... H.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
timing is wrong

Far be it from be to be too critical of an otherwise well-done DG Hear story, but this one does have a fundamental flaw that just about kills its overall credibility. This story supposedly takes place in Vietnam from around 1965-67, but the Eagles weren't formed until 1971, and near as I can tell, The Girl From Yesterday wasn't released until the Hell Freezes Over album in 1994. That's a detail that veterans such as DG and Jake Rivers should have caught. Other than that, it's a nice story, but...

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 10 years ago
Long ago and far awy -

Kinda -

Some of us lived through those days and many more since that were too much like them -

Not all of us had it work out so well - and yes that had it good -

Nicely done sit thank you

tazz317tazz317almost 10 years ago
THIS STORY HAS SO MANY RINGS OF TRUTH

about the View War and all events its like a diary of a Vet, TK U MLJ LV NV

calflashcalflashover 9 years ago
master

you are the master of weaving a song's lyrics into a story - this one no exception. The war experience certainly reflects on that of many who had to go thru it. A nice ending for someone who gave so much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
I'll Be Damned

A Vietnam War story with a happy ending. First time for everything, I guess. Of course I was there, and I saw all the carnage and destruction and death. And I saw the despair from the "Dear John" letters that showed up here and there. But it's nice to read about a "happy" Vietnam war story, even if it is just fiction. Great story, though. 5 Stars.

penneydog55penneydog55over 6 years ago
GOOD STORY!

Been there! Got the scars! BUT!! I'm not here to talk about that SATANS HELL HOLE!

Love a good romance story! Thanks for sharing this Fantastic story with us!

★★★★★ WOOF

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
A staff sargent is an E-6.....

I went to Ft. Knox, Kentucky for basic then Ft. Gordon, Georgia for Signal School, and on to Ft. Polk, La. pernament party (aviation ) 35-kilo. I was born in Camp Polk, La.. I'm an Army brat too....Weird....

2 years was all I could take

Your story brought back some good memories and I grew up alot also pluss and no combat....

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
How

How can Mel love a dickhead like him.She would have been better off with Dan.

Rancher46Rancher46almost 3 years ago

What a warm and loving tale, there was miscommunication on both their sides, Mel for not telling him right away about Dan and she loved him and not Dan and Mike for not speaking to her at the wedding and listening to what she had to say. It just goes to show you how key communication is essential in a relationship. 5 stars

Lonely32Lonely32over 2 years ago

This is such a beautiful story. I would definitely re-read this story. It's so sweet and heartwarming. I just can't get over how good this story is. I'm glad Mel and Mike ended up together. It would only make sense for them to be together.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I loved it. Communication is the key.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

TOO MANY SOLDIERS HAVE TO DEAL WITH LYING CHEATING WHORES BACK HOME. IT IS THE REALITY

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Marvelous story that is worth reading over and over again. It will make your day if you had a bad one or it will make it even better if you had a good one. Mel and Mike had to end up together. That is the only option that make sense for everyone in this story.

This is such a warm, loving and tender tale. Their long ordeal has taught them the dangers of bad or incomplete communications. Why did Mel not tell Mike right away about Dan? Why did she not tell Mike she loved him and not Dan. Mike had misleading info but he was not privy to what she thought at the wedding. Misunderstanding and misinterpretation are all he could do just just a step away from catastrophe for them. It exemplifies how good communication is essential to maintain a relationship and make it grow.

5*

BJ

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDG Hear@DG Hear
I want to thank all the readers who read and comment on my stories. If anyone would have told me 8 yrs ago (now it's 16 yrs ago) I would be writing stories (on an adult web site) I would have laughed at them. Thank you so much for the feedback and comments. It's what keep m...