The Last 24 Hours Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm doing better but I have to cut the stress. My heart gives me trouble if I get too stressed or overly excited and they are talking pacemaker if I don't improve soon. I can still do estate and trust work but my trial days are through." I nodded and thought for a few minutes.

"That means you have a void that you will need filled in your trial section right? You'll want a good man to take over from you right?"

Fred frowned and said slowly "Yes?" He said slowly. "Alex what are you up to?"

"I thought I might give you a name to consider headhunting. He's very good and he happens to at be at loose ends socially right now as he has just gone through a divorce of his own. He might be willing to relocate right now, he has family here and he happens to be in town. Do you know the name Joshel Taylor?"

Fred's bobbed his chin as he said "He's really good."

I continued "He's Beth's brother and one of my closest friends. I think he would be a good fit here. It's up to you and Josh but I think it could be good."

Fred nodded and said "I'll float the idea at the meeting this afternoon. If it gets approval can I call you and set up a time to meet with him?"

I glanced at Beth and saw her frown and knew she didn't want to be in the middle of this today anymore than I did. "I'll give you his cell number instead. Tell him I recommended him to you."

Fred took the number and said smiling "We were planning to liquidate assets from the retirement portfolios of the partners to try to cover what we owed you. I'm supposed to tell everyone just how ruined we all were at the meeting. The partners will be glad that we don't have to do that now."

I looked at him and decided that I really should have kept better track of things. "Just what exactly am I worth now, the trust and securities and all. I know it was twelve million when I got it. Where is it at now?"

Fred actually smirked at me. He had never done that before. I had seen nearly every other expression on his face but never that one. Fred leaned back and said "Well Alex, through the judicious application of wealth and investments, we have taken you from being a rich man to being a VERY rich man. The figures from our audit put you at slightly over one hundred and five million dollars." I was going to have to pay for floor repairs. Once I got my jaw back from the basement where it had fallen to, that is.

Beth gasped. "Good lord Alex you didn't know you had that kind of money?"

I looked at Beth and shook my head no. Fred came to my rescue, bless him.

"Except for his college tuition, books, very mild living expenses, and a few months help after graduation Alex has never touched his trust. He borrowed the money to buy his old house from the trust as a loan and repaid it quickly. Alex is an architect. But he doesn't seem to understand that he is considered one of the best in the country if not the world. Several of his design innovations are now required building code standards across the U.S. The U.S. Patent office has a whole volume listing his building innovations on file that he sees royalties from."

I blushed "I just draw building plans. It's not that big a deal honestly!" I tried to tone down the praise Fred was handing out. It was embarrassing me.

Beth looked at Fred as she said "I've been telling him how special his work is for years and he has never believed me."

I took her hand and brought it to my lips for a kiss. "We need to go Fred. We are at the Hyatt Tower Two for the weekend if you need to reach me. If anyone else wants to reach me I'm out of town till Monday, Ok?" Fred nodded

"I'll have Lisa's name out of your files by this afternoon." He took out a form from his credenza, handed it to me and said "Fill in the blanks time. This is a basic Will until I can draft a proper document. This makes sure she doesn't cash in if you cash out!"

His witticism fell flat to my ears but got a chuckle out of Beth. I quickly filled out the form and Beth had a near heart attack when I made her sole beneficiary and heir to my estate.

She began to refuse so I grabbed her hands. "I want this Beth. The new Will is going to say exactly the same thing." I smiled "You love me for me and I love you for you. I don't need anything or anyone to be happy but you. I have got to know you are ok if anything happens to me." I signed my name and handed the document back to Fred who signed as witness. I glanced at the wall clock. It was nearly three and said "We have to be going Fred. I'll stop back on Monday to sign the rest of the paperwork."

Fred stood and shook my hand. "When you get ready to marry this gem I had better get an invitation to the wedding or I'll sell all of your assets for a penny apiece!" Beth and I both laughed as we assured him that, if such a thing happened, he would indeed be invited.