The Professor Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I had tears rolling down my face as she took my face in her hands, "Baby, please don't do this. I know you're upset. We're part of this too – look at us we're changing people around us too..."

Mom and Dad didn't know what to say and Lissia was anxious for me – she was beginning to understand what I'm made of and why I'm so driven. She held onto to me and Dad got up and changed the channel to Gunsmoke or Bonanza. That wouldn't fix the problem for me...I had a bitter taste in my mouth that somebody with a hate-filled heart could keep Lissia and me apart from one another. I leaned forward and took a few deep breaths, "I need to go run a few miles okay?"

She looked bewildered, "Okay baby please be careful."

I went into my room and changed into some running clothes and went back into the den and kissed her, "I'm sorry for being so upset. Please forgive me?"

She hugged me close to her, "It's okay. Have a good run and remember where you left me okay?"

She was funny, "Okay sweetheart...I love you."

"I love you too baby," she pursed her lips and sat down to talk with my parents.

The run helped me unwind. I ran over five miles and ran hard. The sweat was pouring off of me like I had run through a rain shower. Walking the last third of a mile to the house I felt relieved. I hated 'running' out on Lissia but I felt that Mom and Dad were okay with her and that they wouldn't verbally attack her. I could hear laughter as I walked into the garage – a good sign.

As I opened the door I heard Lissia laughing out loud as my Dad was regaling her with 'Steven stories'. I was groaning inside as I walked into the den, "Hey everyone."

Lissia came to me quickly, "Hi baby. Feel better?" She kissed me.

I nodded, "I'm sorry I got so upset – will you forgive me?"

"There's nothing to forgive, imagine how I would have felt if you had been angry because folk are marching," she patted my soaking wet t-shirt. With that she hugged me tightly, whispering, "I love you Steven – my loving husband."

Those words made my heart beat even faster, "I love you sweet wife of mine."

I took a shower and changed into shorts and a t-shirt and Lissia excused herself to shower and change. Dad and Mom were worried about me so we talked a while – they bragged to me about Lissia, her intelligence and her wit; and how she admires me and my courage. I told them both I learned what I do now at home so they're responsible for me having a strong character. I noticed that Mom had already brought out the linens and pillows and Dad reminded me of the rules. I acknowledged that this was their home and their wishes would be respected by us. Lissia came out in her 'button-up' and robe with a refreshed look on her sweet face. Mom and Dad stood and told us good night. We hugged them and kissed them both.

We pulled out the sleeper sofa and made up the bed. Lissia snuggled up to me and we talked quietly for several hours. "Today when you cornered Momma you had knowledge that I thought was esoteric, known only to a few families but you used your logic, reasoning and command of history to draw out the truth. How do you do that?" I felt myself withdrawing a bit but she wouldn't let me, "Steven my darling husband, please don't pull back from me."

"I feel guilty for being so hard on your Momma but the truth should always be told no matter how painful it is. Look at the lies that have kept us apart. Look at the anger it caused in you with me when you thought I had lied to you about sex. We can't do things this way. Our country has to be truthful with one another. We act like politicians have the right to lie to us because we're too lazy to get off our butts and do what our forefathers did – forge a new nation where freedom abounds for everyone not just a privileged few or we'll be like the Bolsheviks or monarchs – both hungry for power both hungry for total control. We have to take a stand – where is that? What are you willing to give your life for?" I was on my soap box but this was burning in my heart.

"Oh Steven there is a fire in you like nothing I've ever seen. You scare the hell out of me. I'm beginning to see what motivates you and why knowledge is so important. Oh God I want to be with you every step of the way just to see where we're going. Is that okay?" she was persistent with me.

"Yes Lissia, it's more than okay - I couldn't do this without you. Your intellectual independence has given wings to my thoughts and encouragement in how I have always felt but was stifled in the contrived environment of undergraduate studies. Meeting you and listening to you think aloud and yield your position when new facts showed up to test your norms, just blows me away and then that you are so sweet and so gentle to teach me to love you. I...I...well I don't know how I am so blessed to have you to love me and me to love you," I was getting choked up – I loved her so much that my heart ached and she was in my arms. I was afraid to turn loose of her that it might be a dream that turns to a nightmare without her.

We talked for a long while and eventually she had a lot of questions about tomorrow and what our church was like and I finally admitted that I didn't know it's sort of like a new chain you don't know how strong it is until you exert some pressure on it.

"How's the cystitis baby?"

She smiled, "It's feeling lots better – thank you for checking with me. And baby listen you don't have to solve the segregation problem all by yourself. You've got enough anger for ten men. You know I've been through this for a long while..."

I nodded my agreement, "I just want everyone to know each other so that we don't misunderstand one another and act stupidly.

"I know sweet man, I know it better than I know my own name and God knows I want all this hatred to go away so we can live our lives..." she hit my desire perfectly. I watched her eyes carefully as she closed the distance between us with her sweet lips.

We slept soundly waking around 0500. I woke up and she was moving quietly around the kitchen, the coffee was perking, she found the bacon and was making pancakes. When Dad and Mom added on the den they built a cook's kitchen with a griddle. I glided over to her and slid my arms around her, "Good morning my angel. I love you."

She turned around, "No one has ever called me an angel." She hugged me tightly and we kissed – morning breath and all – we didn't care – love is blind, deaf, limps and has no sense of smell. She likes sweaty men and I'll take her no matter what state of dress or undress she is in – we're certainly a pair to draw to.

Dad came in unbeknownst to us, "Could an old guy get some coffee in this cheesy diner?" It was good to hear him joking around. He came over and put his arms around us, "How'd you sleep? I hope you got some sleep." He winked and embarrassed me –

Lissia watches me carefully and she patted my face, "We slept beautifully, Major. How do you feel this morning," she asked him as she hugged and kissed him.

He took a seat, "Let's see how do I feel? I have a beautiful, successful, intelligent daughter-in-law, an accomplished scholar for a son and a loving wife – I'd say I feel pretty good."

Lissia looked at me – she was tearing up and she went over and hugged Dad kissing him on both cheeks, "I love you Major – you and Mrs. Edwards have given me a wonderful gift, the chance to love your son – my life is complete. Thank you."

Mom came into the kitchen in a few minutes; she hugged and kissed us. She and Lissia immediately fussed over breakfast – they were determined to feed their men and they did. We enjoyed our Sunday morning with them. After breakfast Dad and I did the dishes and I went for a brief five mile run to clear the cobwebs. After the run I showered, shaved and dressed in a navy blazer and club tie with a blue button-down collar shirt. Lissia came out dressed in a beautiful pink linen suit – she was stunning, her hair pulled straight back covering her ears enough not to hide her diamond stud earrings. She knew how to dress. We told Mom and Dad that we'd meet them at church I wanted to go early and talk to Reverend Roland Broughton the pastor at our little Methodist Church. Lissia was very nervous and I tried to calm her as I called Reverend Broughton to make sure it was okay for me to come by and he graciously agreed.

We pulled up to the church and parked in the oyster shell parking lot behind the pastor's study and knocked on his door in the portico. He opened it and welcomed us into his study. "Reverend Broughton I would like you to meet my fiancé Dr. Phylissia Wright, Dr. Wright this is my pastor Reverend Broughton."

He was almost speechless but he held his own for a former farmer from East Texas who had graduated from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. "So where did you two meet," he asked.

We told him the printable parts of our meeting and he smiled, "That's very interesting that you would become so attracted so quickly."

I nodded, "Yes sir. Dr. Wright is the first woman I've experienced an intellectual peer relationship with sir. Her gentle, kind and loving ways are a testament to her character and her terrific soul sir."

"Dr. Wright I've been Steven's pastor for five years and he's never brought a girl or a woman to meet me and you have agreed to marry one another," he smiled, "God's hand is in this but there is a great risk for you both. State laws won't let me perform the marriage ceremony – the Methodist Church will but Harris County won't issue you a marriage license. I can tell you're in love."

"Thank you Reverend Broughton," Lissia spoke carefully to him, "Steven has been very upset about this – he has this strong calling to see justice served and he's worries about my safety all the time. His intensity scares me," she half-smiled as she squeezed my hand.

"He's been like that as long as I've known him," the Reverend smiled.

We talked for a while and he prayed with us before he led us to the door. He had to get ready to preach and we found our way into the sanctuary much to the shock and surprise of everyone there, all conversation stopped and a few folks sat down on their pews with their mouths hanging agape. Mrs. Bertha Adamson, the self-appointed church mother and self-proclaimed 'most righteous among us' came right over and held her hand out to Phylissia as I introduced her as Dr. Wright. Mrs. Adamson was shocked that there was a black woman in church and a doctor to boot. The news travelled like wildfire as we made our way to the pew our family normally sat on. There was a wide circle around us until my parents and our neighbors showed up to hug us and kiss us so everyone could see how important Lissia was to our family. Mom introduced Lissia to several ladies from the WSCS (Women's Society for Christian Service) as Steven's fiancé and her future daughter-in-law. All the years of collecting money and raising funds for the eradication of segregation had suddenly come to a moment of truth – are you just checkbook Christians or do you mean it?

The service was very typical Methodist. Reverend Broughton was not the best preacher but he was a great pastor – he hugged us both at the door and told Lissia to come back again and to bring me as well.

Somewhere behind us we heard, "It's one thing to give money to help those people but I don't want 'em in my church." I looked behind me and spied the culprit. I asked Lissia to wait with Mom and Dad I wanted to talk with someone.

I found Mrs. Spezak and confronted her, "Ma'am that is hateful and ugly. Dr. Wright is my fiancé that's not going to change but I'll tell you one thing you just blasphemed. Jesus said 'whatever you do to one of my family members you do to me.' You just cursed Jesus – shame on you." I made sure I said it loud enough for everyone to hear. I looked around at those who were nearby, "We're going to continue to come to worship here because other churches don't want us there either – this is my home church – I've known you all of my life and I am disgusted at your behavior. I won't rest until this attitude is driven out of this congregation or I'm dead. Shame on you all."

I felt Reverend Broughton's hand on my back, "I've met Dr. Wright. She is a lovely, intelligent, Harvard-educated woman who loves Steven enough to sacrifice her relationship with her family and her church to marry him. Don't make me ashamed that I'm your pastor with these two fine young people who have the courage of their love and faith in God to come openly and worship with you. Shame on you all – you owe these two an apology."

Reverend Broughton had always been a friend he was now a hero. I turned to face him and Lissia was standing there facing me – I held my hand out to her and put my arm around her, "I love you baby with the love that God put in my heart for you alone." We hugged Reverend Broughton and we left with Mom and Dad. They were both broken-hearted. It would be a long week for them with the phone ringing off the hook with support and apologies.

12