The Return Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
muirmadra
muirmadra
545 Followers

"What is she doing now?"

"She went back into the nursing program. She's an RN at the hospital now." Looking at his watch, Billy said, "As a matter of fact she should be getting off work right about now. If you passed by the hospital on the way home, I'd be surprised if you didn't see her."

Geoff turned away, frowning. He did see her but didn't want Billy to know. Geoff knew he fucked up that night, should have known what happened with that piece of slime, Armestead. Too late now, he thought. She would never forgive me for leaving like I did. Shit, I can't forgive me.

"Hey, catch me later and we can catch up. Okay?" Billy said.

"Sure...Julie wants to sit down with me tonight and bring me up to strength on the estate and Dad's business."

"Really? I didn't think Julie was keen on your Dad's company. Anyway, don't forget to call."

Billy Reilly jumped into his black and white, waved out the window and took off. Before he hit the main road, his siren squelched his last hurrah before he vanished from Geoff's sight. Laughing, Geoff shook his head. Sheriff! Who would have thought?

Going into the kitchen, he grabbed a quick bite and a beer and strolled out onto the rear patio. The sun was just going down casting a golden hue over the ocean as the waves beat against the rocks. Somewhere out there were his parents.

Geoff sat there long after the sun set, his mind always returning to Sarah. In the seven years he was gone, he never went celibate. Just the opposite. When not training or on ops, he spent every waking moment in the bed of some yielding soft bit of flesh. Many of his trysts attempted to turn their relationship into something more serious, but Geoff would have none of that. All that time, there was only one woman that he could ever love, Sarah, and he believed she belonged to Bobby. He couldn't remember all the times he thought of coming back and killing that shit excuse for a human being. But the temper he inherited from his father always cooled from the calm reasoning his mother left him. The good judgment bequeathed to him would kick in forcing him to forget about any retribution against Bobby Armestead.

Draped in moonlight, his mother's massive gardens unveiled a foreboding of shadows. As he stared, the dark outlines appeared to undulate, to dance across the intricate foliage almost as if they were presenting an expression of sorrow for the loss of their matron. Mesmerized by the bizarre performance, Geoff was so involved in the performance he literally jumped out of the chase lounge when his sister, standing behind him, asked, "What are you staring at?"

"Uh...nothing, just the moonlit landscape. What are you doing here?" Geoff, trying to catch his breath, thought he may have to attach a pair of jumper cables to his car battery to kick start his heart back up after the fright his sister just gave him.

"Geoff, you haven't changed in the seven years you've been gone. You're still an idiot. You forget I was coming over tonight?"

Sheepishly he said, "Christ, Julie...I did forget. Sorry about that. You want to go in?"

"No, I've always liked sitting out here during the evenings. Let's stay out here," she wistfully said.

"Okay, want anything to drink?"

"Mmm...., there should be some ice tea in the fridge."

"Ice tea?"

She looked at him and nodded. "Yeah, I quit drinking several years back. Now, I only have ice tea or something diet."

"Sure then, ice tea coming up."

Geoff stood and walked into the house while Julie grabbed a second chaise lounge and dragged it to Geoff's. As she sat down, she thought about what she was going to say to him, so much had happened since he left. She flipped her wrist and glanced at her watch.

'Well, I have about two hours of alone time with him,' she thought. 'Better make the best of it and prepare him for her big surprise.'

"Okay, Jules"—Jules was his childhood nickname for his sister—"Now, explain what's going on with Armestead!"

"Oh...you know about Neville?" She frowned and turned away for a second.

"Yah, Dean clued me in on Bobby's little brother. What the hell are you thinking...Armestead? Come on Jules why would you even have anything to do with that family after what Bobby and Sarah did."

"Shut up about what Sarah did!" screamed his sister. "You big oaf. You stupid, stupid man. Sarah didn't do anything. If anyone did anything wrong, it was my loving brother...running away because his itty bitty feelings were hurt. God, you make me sick!"

Geoff stood there, his mouth open, holding the drinks. He didn't expect such animosity from his sister. And what the hell was she talking about? Sarah was with that asshole, Bobby, after he warned her and warned her about that sleaze. And, how did he know Sarah didn't go along with him?

"Who the hell you think you're talking to? Did you forget? I was there, I was the one who found them together in the backseat of that slime's car. I was the one who pulled that fucker out of the car, pulled him off her as he was fucking her! I saw it, Jules, with my own two eyes and she didn't look to me like she was fighting him off very hard."

"Well, that just goes to show how ignorant you are, big brother. He got her drunk and slipped a little happy pill in her drink. Billy found out from the bartender after he nearly killed the guy. Billy didn't believe Bobby's story about Sarah wanting him and voluntarily getting into the car with that rapist. At least that was the official statement given by his family when she tried charging Bobby with attempted rape. By the way...I said 'attempted' rape. He never got his tiny little wang inside. Want to know why? You! You saved her from being raped by that piece of shit! You were the hero who cut and ran before anyone could tell you different."

Geoff just stood there, words unable to come to him. "I...I didn't know. I had told her so many times about letting that asshole hang around her. I was so upset she would allow him to see her, to take her to the club while I was at school...while we were engaged to be married. I just wasn't thinking. Dad tried convincing me to talk to her, to get her side of the story but I was so angry. I just wanted to get away, to lose myself."

Julie glared at her brother but she began to soften after seeing how shaken he became. She thought he was going to cry, his eyes were so wet. "Geoff, I'm so sorry you didn't stick around. So much has happened. Sarah, Mom and Dad and...Neville."

When Julie mentioned Neville, Geoff glared at her. Streaks of tears had run down his face pooling at the bottom of his chin. She stood and moved toward him, her right hand on his face wiping the tears away. She wasn't going to allow him to change the subject...not yet.

"Geoff...you were wrong then and you're wrong now. Sarah made a mistake trusting that douche bag but you made an even bigger mistake running away. She loved you so much and you weren't there for her when the Armesteads said she was lying about what happened. No one believed them but they made her out to be a wanton slut, who, while you were away at school, led Bobby on. Oh...and Bobby tried going after you for assault. He couldn't because no one knew where you ran off. By the time the Sheriff did track you down, Dad had a few words with Sheriff Belamy. I don't know what Dad said but Belamy dropped all charges pissing off Nathanial Armestead, Bobby's grandfather. Belamy lost the following election for Sheriff to Labin."

"Geoff, I need to warn you, Sarah will be here soon."

"Sarah's already here," a voice said from the shadows.

Both Geoff and Julie turned and watched as Sarah stepped out from the shadows. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop. No one heard me when I called out from the entrance. I figured you were in the back so I came around the side."

"How much did you hear?" asked Julie. Geoff didn't say anything, he stared at the only woman he every loved."

Sarah turned to look out over the garden at the ocean. "Most of it." As she answered, she wheeled around and glowered at her former fiancée. "Where the hell did you go? Why didn't you give me a chance to say how sorry I was for not believing you about Bobby? I thought you loved me, Geoff! You left me when I needed you most. Damn you...damn you Geoffrey McKenzie!" She started sobbing and spun around running back to her car.

Julie screamed at her brother to chase Sarah. "Geoff, don't just stand there, go after her. I know you still love her and she still loves you. Please, for God's sake, don't be stupid this time."

Geoff stared at his sister. Suddenly, he knew what he had to do. He raced around the side trying to catch up to Sarah. As he ran, he shouted, "Sarah, wait...please don't go...SARAH!"

As he sprinted, he ran around the shrubbery failing to see Sarah standing there facing him. "Ahhh...," she screamed as he smashed into her. When she heard Sarah scream, Julie came running around the corner.

"Geoff, what did you do?" she bellowed as she dashed toward the drive. Suddenly, Julie was flying through the air after tripping over two bodies' writhing on the ground. "What the fu...," she screamed as she landed in the bushes.

When she crawled out from under the shrubs, she started laughing. Like pretzels, Sarah and Geoff were sprawled on the lawn, arms and legs twisted and entwined around each other. When Geoff and Sarah stared at Julie, they too, began giggling. Soon, they were both roaring with laughter.

When the laughter died down, Geoff stared at Sarah.

"Sarah, I am so, so very sorry for leaving you like I did. You're right, I should have at least allowed you the chance to explain. I know I don't deserve your forgiveness. I can't even forgive myself. Dear God, I am so sorry." By now, Geoff was in tears, huge sobbing gobs wracking his chest.

Sarah, also in tears, placed her hand to his face wiping away his tears. Twisting herself, she was able to disentangle herself from her former lover. She stood and watched as Geoff got up and stood in front of her. He looked deep into her eyes, unsure of her emotions. Her eyes failed to show any signs that would indicate her feelings toward him.

"Smack!"

Geoff's head whipped to the side as the palm of her right hand slapped the side of his face.

"Whack!" His head jerked to the other side after she struck his other cheek.

"You are such a bastard, Geoff. You left me. You never gave me any chance to talk to you. YOU LEFT ME! HOW COULD YOU?" she shrieked. "You are so right, you don't deserve my forgiveness."

He rubbed his cheeks, still stinging from her rebuke. "Sarah, I know there is nothing I can say or do that will change anything, change your feelings for me. But, understand something...I loved you so much, I would have died for you. When I saw you in that car, in that state with Bobby 'fucking' Armestead on top of you, I died inside. My heart had shriveled up and withered away. The only thing I could do to save my sanity was go away. I just couldn't bear the thought of seeing you with Bobby and, in my mind, I thought he was who you wanted. Once I have all my father's affairs in order, I'll leave. You don't need the likes of me reminding you how I treated you." "Slap!"

"Jesus, Sarah! Will you please stop doing that?"

"Geoffrey Alan McKenzie...how dare you! You're going to leave me again? What is the fuck wrong with you? You no longer love me?"

Geoff shook his head, his hands pressed against his reddening cheeks. He was astonished Sarah had cursed. She had never used even the mildest form of foul language since he had known her.

"Sarah, I don't want to leave. I only thought it would be best for you. I've never forgotten you, never stopped loving you. But I don't want to hurt you any further."

Sarah glared into his face; she could see the sincerity in his eyes. Before Geoff could react, Sarah grabbed the front of his shirt and yanked him to her. She pressed her lips against his. Without realizing what he was doing, Geoff engulfed her in his arms desperately returning her kiss.

His left hand in her hair, the right around her waist pulling her tightly against him, he couldn't stop kissing her. She felt so good against him, so right in his embrace.

"Ahem...," a voice sounded behind them, a male voice. Pulling apart, Geoff saw a man standing a few feet off, watching them. At first, he didn't recognize the individual but as he focused on the face, he gasped and released Sarah.

"You mother-fucking, son of a bi...," shouted Geoff as he rushed toward the man, Bobby Armestead.

"No, Geoff, stop!" cried both Sarah and Julie. Sarah ran and grabbed Geoff's right arm, cocked back to smash into Armestead's face. Quickly, his sister seized his left arm, the two women holding Geoff back.

"God damn it, Geoff...back off!" Julie screamed at him. "That's not Bobby! It's Neville."

Those words struck Geoff to the core...not Bobby Armestead? His brother, Neville? "So what, he's still an Armestead!" roared Geoff.

"Geoff, I love him."

Those four words sunk in. He stopped struggling against the two women and looked at his sister.

"You love him?"

"Yes...yes, I do. Listen, Geoff, he's not like the rest of his family. He left them the day after Dad got the Sheriff to drop all charges against you. He didn't agree with their tactics to try to railroad you. After Neville argued against them going after Dad, they branded him a traitor and turned their backs on Neville. He lives with me in town. I was going to tell you tonight."

Both Sarah and Julie released him when they recognized the tenseness withdraw from his arms. Geoff stared at Neville, amazed at the similarities between him and his brother Bobby.

"Neville, where is she?"

Geoff turned to Sarah and asked, "Where's who?"

"Mommy?"

Geoff swiveled and spied a little girl peeking from behind Neville. He recognized her as the beautiful little elf he met earlier today. Geoff mirrored the little girl's word.

"Mommy?"

Sarah stared into his eyes and nodded, her eyes misty. "Yes, Geoff...she's my daughter. I believe you have already met her. Sarah knelt and held out her arms. The little redhead bolted into her mother's arms. Sarah remained kneeling, holding Becky. Becky looked up at Geoff and said, "Hi Uncle Geoff." She released her mother and dashed to him wrapping her arms around his waist.

Sarah stared in wonder. Other than Julie and Becky's grandparents, she never ran into the arms of anyone. She sniffed back a tear as she watched the two hug each other.

"Hey, squirt, how's my pretty little elf?" said Geoff, kneeling down and hugged the little girl.

Becky giggled saying, "I'm not a little elf. Uncle Nevvie and me got some ice cream."

Geoff stared up at Neville. "Uncle Nevvie?"

Neville smiled and nodded. "Yes, Rebecca and I are very good friends. We always go out for ice cream. I hope you don't mind."

Neville looked past Geoff, obviously at something Julie was doing. Geoff turned and saw his sister look away. 'What the hell is going on?' he thought. When he glanced back at Neville, Neville's face was several shades of red. Most definitely something was up. Geoff looked up at Sarah, his eyes full of questions.

"We need to talk, Geoff. Julie, could you and Neville watch Becky for a while longer?"

Julie replied, "Of course we can. We love to take care of this little spitfire." Julie glanced at Neville and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh! Uh...yeah, sure, no problem," he stuttered.

Julie, smiling, held out her hand for Becky. Before Becky pulled away from Geoff, she planted a little kiss on his cheek. Geoff clutched his heart acting as if her kiss made him faint, causing Becky to giggle. Running to Julie, she grasped her aunt's hand in hers. Geoff stood, watching the two of them walk to Neville. Becky grabbed Neville's hand and the three of them disappeared around the corner of the house.

Geoff turned to Sarah and reached for her. Sarah took his hand. Together, they walked down through the gardens and toward the bluff overlooking the water. A stone bench had been placed beneath a giant oak looking over the bluff. Geoff waited as Sarah gracefully sat on the bench. He sat next to her.

"She seems very mature, for a seven year old."

Sarah turned to stare at Geoff. "Yes, she's a wonder but she has her moments, much like the father she never knew."

"Geoff, where did you go? Why?" Geoff saw tiny sparkling lights from the stars, reflecting off her eyes.

"I...I had to get away. When I saw you lying on the backseat of Bobby's car, I lost it. I nearly killed that ass but the image of you naked; staring up at me broke something deep inside. I enlisted in the Navy spending the following six years assigned to a special unit. Once I got out, I spent the following year in Jamaica."

"Jamaica?"

He laughed and said, "Yeah...Jamaica, the kingdom of Ganja.

"Ganja?"

Chuckling, he said, "Pot, weed, grass, devil weed, mary jane, dope, more commonly known as marijuana."

"During the last year of my enlistment, I had a close buddy, Nate Carson, tell me about all his diving exploits in the West Indies. He spoke of the Bahamas, the Florida Keys, Bermuda and Jamaica. He wanted me to join him, to become partners in hunting for sunken treasure. He owned a small trawler in Key Largo and had it rigged for deep sea diving and salvage. He came from a long line of treasure seekers and said he had the bug something fierce."

"Anyway, he told me about an old German U-boat sunk somewhere between Cuba and Jamaica. The legend, he said, spoke of tons of gold bullion on board en route to Germany, for the Third Reich. This was during the later part of World War II. The Germans, by that time, were losing on both fronts, one against the Allies and the other against the Soviet Union. The gold was to help them in the war. But, as the sub was transiting north of Jamaica, a massive hurricane struck the Caribbean. The U-boat was caught in the shallows and broke apart on a submerged reef."

"Nate said no one ever found the wreck. We were going to find that German sub and become incredibly rich; however, Nat was killed on our last operation. What I didn't know was he had his will written so that I would get the boat, all his gear...everything. So, when my stint was up, I found myself in Key Largo. With the money I had from the service, I repaired the trawler, bought some new gear and dredging equipment and sailed to Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was in Montego Bay, Dean found me."

"Did you ever find the submarine?" Sarah asked.

Leaning down, Geoff picked up a pebble and tossed it over the bluff.

"Yeah, I found it. But let's not talk about that now, okay? Tell me about you."

Sarah stared out onto the ocean, watching the shimmering reflection of the full moon and stars. The reflection of the stars reminded her of thousands of tiny fireflies gliding along the surface of the water.

"It was hard for me after you left. Thank god Julie was there for me. She saved me from myself. A week after you were gone, I went to the Sheriff's Office and filed charges against Bobby. What you never understood was...you saved me from Bobby raping me. Because of you, he never made penetration; however I tried to go after him for attempted rape. Three days later, he notified me in a letter that all charges were dropped for lack of evidence. He couldn't even tell me to my face. It was my word against the Armestead family, the Armesteads victorious. My parents were devastated; my mother took it the hardest. She liked that slime. Eventually, she started believing the Armesteads, siding with them against me and my father. It broke my Dad's heart. A year later, he died from a massive heart attack. After he was gone, mother and I drifted further apart. A year later, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Six months after that, she was gone."

"I became despondent. You see, by that time I had Becky. If it hadn't been for Julie and your parents...I don't know what I would have done. Julie and your mother would watch Becky when I went back to school. I became a nurse, Geoff, I work at the hospital. Your parents became mine. They kind of took me under their wing, unofficially adopting me. I loved your folks, Geoff, more than my own. When they vanished, I was overcome with grief. Julie was much worse. Now it was my time to help her, but actually we ended up helping one another."

muirmadra
muirmadra
545 Followers