The Return Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As Billy spoke, movement came from the huge double doors. Two men dressed in black suits, came out pushing a gurney holding a black body bag. They carefully carried the gurney down the long row of steps and shuffled the body into the white van. Another suit exited from the mansion and walked to Billy.

"Excuse me a moment, Geoff."

Geoff watched as Sheriff Reilly met with the man. After talking for several minutes, both men nodded and the suit got into the Coroner's vehicle. He followed the white van as it drove off down the long drive. Billy turned and waived for Geoff to come up.

"As you probably guessed, that was the Coroner. Bobby's going in for an autopsy but, hell; we know what killed the man." Reilly shrugged, "Protocol."

A few minutes later, two deputies came out with a sobbing blond haired woman between them. Geoff did recognize her, Samantha Eggen. I think every boy had a crush on her, he thought.

"Billy, make sure she knows she'll have the best defense lawyer in the state should she need it. And, if she needs a job...tell her to see me."

Billy smiled and said, "You got it. Just don't piss her off." Both men laughed.

"Anything else, Sheriff Reilly?"

"Nah, just thought you might want to see this," he said. "I hope this gives you some closure. Judging from what Commander Ellis of the Coast Guard told me, your parents were the victims of foul play. Somehow, I think you already knew that."

They both stared at the Armestead home. "Yeah, I knew it," whispered Geoff.

"Oh, by the way. Did you hear the latest?"

laughed Billy shaking his head. "You remember that pretty little deputy I used to have, you know...Bernie Phife."

"Uh...no, can't say that I do."

"Oh, that's right. She showed up while you were gone. Anyway, she was a cute little bugger and wouldn't take shit off nobody. She'd of made a great deputy. Well, she resigned this morning and later took off with a scary gentleman by the name of Scoccio."

"Carmine Scoccio?"

Billy's eyes widened. "Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Had the occasion to run into him."

Billy eyeballed his friend. "Hmmm, could you be why he left without his other two compadres?"

Geoff merely shrugged, a grim smile across his face.

Billy held up his hands, "Okay, I get it...some things are best left unsaid. But Geoff, best friends or not...next time, you better come to me before taking care of business. Comprende mi amigo?"

"Yeah, I understand," said Geoff.

"Anyway, Bernie took off with that Detroit thug, can you believe it. Somehow, I don't know when, they took a shine to each other. I mean, shit, those goons were only here a couple of weeks." Billy shook his head in amazement.

Geoff smiled and said, "Got a request for the Sheriff."

"God, what now?" mused Billy.

"Will you be my best man?"

Sheriff Reilly gaped at his closest friend. Grabbing him into a bear hug, "You slime ball, bout time you made her an honest woman. I'd be honored to be your best man!"

"Ugh...jeeze, between you and Sarah, I'm not going to have any ribs left. Put me down ya lummox."

Billy finally released the struggling McKenzie. "When's the date?"

"A month from now. I wanted things to settle a bit after I take care of Mom and Dad."

Billy sighed, "I'm so sorry about your parents. They were great people and good friends. I'm going to miss them. I understand you found them."

"Yeah, Dad was pinned in the forward hold by a support beam that had given way, probably from the blast of an explosive."

"A fucking bomb?"

Geoff nodded. He didn't mention the taped confessions of Manelli and Silverman. "Yes, I found the Annabella and there was about a three foot hole blown outward on the starboard side of the bow. Like I said, the blast must have loosened a support beam. Dad must have gone into the hold to check the damage or maybe try to repair it but the beam fell on him. Mom must have tried to help him. I found them together, holding the other." Geoff's voice broke and he choked before continuing with his story.

"They both knew, Billy...when I saw their faces, they were looking at each other. They were contented, Billy, they were together until the end." He fixed a glare at the big sheriff. "I'll be honest with you. I was going to kill that son of bitch when I came back ashore. If it wasn't for Sarah, I would have."

Billy placed his huge bear paw of a hand on his friend's shoulder and said, "I wouldn't have blamed you one bit. But, I'm glad she was able to change your mind, Geoff. It would have killed me to arrest you for the murder of that piece of shit."

"I don't think I would have liked it either," said Geoff.

*******************

Epilogue:

The entire valley turned out for James and Annabella McKenzie's funeral and wake. Held in Annabella McKenzie's beloved gardens, the wake proved to be one hell of a going away party for James and Annabella, which both Geoff and Julie McKenzie knew would make their parents happy.

A month later, in a modest little Methodist church, a very happy little seven year old girl wearing a beautiful pale blue gown, stood between her mother and her Aunt Julie as her father said the words, "I do." Next to Julie, stood a young and very attractive blond woman, Samantha Eggen. She and Sarah had become good friends after Geoff had helped her. Again, the entire town attended, along with a few unsavory looking characters...including one ex-deputy and her date with the scary looking eyes. Sheriff Billy Reilly stood next to Geoff but kept his eyes on Carmine Scoccio. Carmine nodded to the sheriff as Bernadette smiled and gave him a short waive.

Jack and Terry Davenport sat next to two vacant seats in the front row, Terry in tears. Flowers laid on one of the two chairs...the other held a beat up San Francisco Giants ball cap and sunglasses. Next to Jack and Terry sat Jonathon Dean and his wife, Lucinda. Sitting alongside the Deans was a tall black youth as thin as a rail, Demonde Gordon. Dean had flown him out for Geoff's wedding.

Looming over Billy stood Jenarde LaFonde. Together, they could fill the Oakland Raiders entire front line. The last to stand with Geoff was Neville Armestead. Though dwarfed by the two massive bodies in front of him, Neville was not intimidated. The three men had become close friends. Neville stared at his own bride to be, Julie. She beamed back at him knowing they would soon be husband and wife. Julie had already started re-decorating the Armestead mansion.

During the reception at the McKenzie home, Carmine Scoccio came up to Geoff. "I was told to give this to you," he said. An attractive young woman hung close to the mob's best hit man. "You must be Bernadette Phife," said Geoff.

"I used to be," she said and held out her left hand. A gold band adorned her ring finger.

Geoff looked at Carmine and the thug smiled back.

"Congratulations to the both of you."

"Thanks, take care of that beautiful bride of yours," said Carmine and, arms locked, the two walked away.

"Who was that," said Sarah. She had just walked up as the couple left.

"Uh...Carmine and Bernadette Scoccio."

"You mean...?"

"Yep."

Sarah nudged her husband and pointed to the dance floor. "Looks like Billy has finally found his match. Geoff turned to see his best friend dancing a slow number with Samantha, their lips locked against the other.

"About time Billy...about time."

Billy Reilly looked up and smiled. Samantha reached up and pulled his face back down to her lips. Geoff and Sarah laughed and mimicked the love sick couple in joining the dance, their own lips pressed together.

Later that evening, Geoff stood in a quiet room and pulled out the envelope Scoccio had given him. Opening the letter he read,

"Dear Mr. McKenzie,

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience I may have caused you and your loved ones. It was never my intention to do so. I must admit there are times when one regrets owing favors to certain individuals. However, had I known then what I know now, a certain associate would have met his demise much sooner; though, I do feel justice was done...hell hath seen no fury than a woman's wrath.

Please accept this small token as a wedding gift. Carmine has graciously agreed to deliver it for me. By the way, Satch sends his regards and regrets he and Mardigan were unable to attend. For the moment, they wish to remain under the radar as I'm sure you understand.

Best wishes. Anytime you ever need anything, call but remember, phones are tapped.

Michael Provinzano

PS: Slates clean..."

Geoff read the attached paper and whistled. "Gotta say, Michael...you have class." He and Sarah were given a two week, all expenses paid, stay in the high roller penthouse suite of the Bellagio Casino and Resort, Las Vegas, Nevada...complete with a table credit for $25,000.

The door opened and Sarah, still in her stunning wedding dress, shuffled in.

"I wondered where you disappeared. Why are you in here?"

"Oh, just wanted some quiet time to reflect. Remember Carmine Scoccio?"

"How could I forget."

"Here, you might want to read this." He handed her the letter.

"My god, Geoff, who is this Michael Provinzano?"

"Um...let's just say a patron of the arts, look at this." Geoff gave Sarah the two week invitation.

A couple walked past a door just as a high pitched scream erupted from within the room.

"Oh my God, Geoff...Vegas, here we come!"