The Slayers Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jian stood back watching. Even through her grief, Brittney was thinking clearly and not reacting with just emotion. He was immensely proud of her. His question was if Brittney would see the nurse as she really was if she was a monster.

Ten minutes later, a nurse came out. Jian knew right away that this wasn't the nurse.

"That isn't her," Brittney said quietly. "Either you bring her out her or I'm calling the newspapers and television stations. I'll even call my lawyer and file a lawsuit. It may not go far since Paul isn't a blood relative, but imagine the damage that it can do if it goes public. How's this for headlines? Local hospital loses unconscious ICU patient- Now bring her out here!"

The doctor and nurse didn't move until Brittney pulled out her cell phone.

"It's going to take me a couple of minutes to Google the television number of local television station. They'll probably put me on hold... you have that long to get that nurse out here."

Jian stood up straighter and watched Brittney work. She was using her gifts without thinking about it. This was very, very good. The doctor rushed off leaving the nurse alone with Brittney.

"Look, I'm sorry that I lied. They just sent me out here..."

"I know," Brittney assured her. "You aren't in any trouble, I promise."

The nurse thanked her and rushed off leaving Brittney to Google the television station. She had just hit the number when the doctor and the nurse in question were back. Brittney looked at her and put her hand on her stomach. She wanted to vomit, but she fought it.

"Where is Paul Masters?"

The nurse looked at her and relaxed. She didn't think that Brittney saw her as she was- not all slayers could, but she knew exactly what Brittney was. If there had been any way that she could have gotten away with it, she would have taken her. But she knew that Brittney's mate had to be close by and she had no desire to be in the hands of a slayer. It had happened once and it wasn't going to happen again. She had barely escaped with her life.

"As I'm sure the doctor told you," The nurse said in a voice that reminded Brittney of scrubbing clothes on a washboard, "he woke up screaming something about monsters. I went into the room to see what was going on. He was pulling his equipment off and when I tried to stop him, he attacked me and ran out."

"Why didn't you call security? And why wasn't I notified as soon as it happened?"

"We were about to do that when you showed up," the doctor said. "We've already notified the police since he attacked one of our nurses."

While Brittney was talking to the doctor and nurse, Jian went to Paul's room. He looked around and sniffed the air. Someone else had been here. A slayer- which meant one thing; Paul was for the moment safe. It also told him that while the killing of Amanda had been seemingly random; it had caused a problem for someone. It was time to find out what rogue was in the area and time to start telling Brittney what she needed to know.

****

Thomas Markham packed up his desk. He had no intentions of meeting Xavier. After his phone call with him, he became nervous. The timing was too perfect. What were the odds that Dubois would call him right after he made a deal with Cross? He tried for a long time to convince himself that it was a coincidence, but he knew that it wasn't. Xavier had been watching the entire thing or had seen enough that he knew what was happening.

"Shit!" He swore as he picked up his briefcase. He had taken a gamble and had more than likely lost. He took a last look around his office and headed toward the door.

"Going somewhere?" Xavier asked pleasantly.

"No... I was..."

"Going to go to your little Fiji hideaway," Xavier said smiling. "I like Fiji- the people are so-friendly. Surprised that I know about that? Thomas, Thomas, Thomas.... I know everything about everyone that I employ. For instance- I also know that you have a place in the Cayman Islands and in the Philippines. I like those places as well."

"If you give me a moment- I can explain..."

"I'm sure that you can and will in due time," Xavier replied. "Walk with me. I want you to see something."

"Please- Mr. Dubois..."

Xavier wasn't listening. He was already several feet ahead of Thomas. With a pounding heart, Thomas followed Xavier to the center of the warehouse.

"Look around you and tell me what you see," Xavier said.

"Product," Thomas replied in a shaky voice.

"Exactly," Xavier said with a smile. "And to whom does this product belong?"

"You sir."

"Then tell me Thomas, if that's true; why did you sell my product to Cross?"

Thomas didn't reply. To lie anymore would only make matters worse. Xavier could go after his family. As it was he would make sure that they were penniless. Bright lights illuminated the room and several large screen televisions that were strategically placed flickered on. A moment later their images filled the screen.

"I thought that I was a reasonable man- and I use the term man loosely," Xavier said his tone still soft. "I pay well- apparently well enough that you own three lovely homes out of the country so tell me, what would lead you to betray me? And answer honestly- our audience wants to know what it that Cross offered you that prompted you to take such a risk."

"Sir..."

"YOU WILL ANSWER THE QUESTION!" Xavier yelled making the darkened windows shake.

"He offered me a position... an area of my own to run," Thomas said softly. "All I had to do was sell him a few barrels of your product. He wanted to find out what was in it that made it last longer than his."

"I see," Xavier said as he stripped Thomas and then himself with a thought. "I hope that you are all watching," he said to the hidden cameras. "I will not tolerate traitors for any reason. Thomas- are there others?"

"N... no..."

"Are you certain?" Xavier asked, "Because this is your one chance to save your family which by the way is watching these proceedings. Would you like proof? Look over there."

Thomas looked at where Xavier was pointing and cried out. On a smaller television screen sat the terrified images of his wife, son and two daughters. Behind them stood two vampires waiting for the command from Xavier to kill or maim them.

"They don't know anything about this! Please! I know that there is a shred of decency in you. Don't let them watch this!"

"That Thomas depends entirely on you," Xavier said as he ran a sharpened fingernail down Thomas's chest leaving a shallow cut from which blood seeped. "Are there others? Don't lie..."

"One! There is one other!"

"Who is it?" Xavier asked as he made another cut-this one deeper on Thomas's chest.

"I don't know! I only know that he exists!"

"That makes sense... which warehouse?" Xavier asked while making another cut.

"I don-Please I don't know! Cross didn't tell me!"

"I see... how much did he pay you for the barrels that you sold him?"

"Market value! Mr. Dubois please... turn off the camera! Don't let my family see me like this!"

"I think that I mentioned that I am not unreasonable so I will grant you that one wish."

Thomas watched as the screen went dark. Tears of pain, humiliation and sadness ran down his face when he saw the looks of fear and shame on the faces of his family. Three hours later, it was over. Thomas's skinless body was tossed into a large cask of wine earmarked to be delivered to Troy Cross.

"I hope that you remember what you witnessed tonight," Xavier said as he looked into the camera. "To the one remaining traitor- have no doubt that I will find you."

The televisions went dark as Xavier stark naked and covered in blood went to his office to shower.

"One thing crossed off my list," he murmured and then began to hum. By the end of the day, Thomas Markham's family would be both penniless and homeless.

****

Cherie checked her bank account before leaving her posh London flat. Not only did she dislike Xavier Dubois, she didn't trust him but money was money no matter where or who it came from. As far as she was concerned he and others like him were animals that needed to be put down. She had no love for the humans but they were necessary and they weren't going anywhere. She had developed the live and let live philosophy. She fed from humans but they were all willing and she never harmed any of them.

She pushed aside her dislike of Xavier and concentrated on the task at hand. Philadelphia was a big place and she had no real idea of where to begin. Xavier mentioned something about the dead human woman's sister being a slayer. That alone made the stakes considerably higher.

"I should have asked for more money," she muttered under her breath.

Dressed in a opaque lavender top with skin tight black jeans and six inch stiletto heels; Cherie left her flat. Moments later she was in her equally posh Center City Condo debating as to where she would begin.

****

Brittney and Jian left the hospital and went to her apartment so that she could pack. The drive had been quiet and Jian left her to her thoughts. He could see that questions- the right questions were forming in her head. He could see her arranging them in order of importance with the first question being about Paul.

He made her wait in the car while he checked the surroundings. The night was calm and peaceful which in an odd way disturbed him. It was too quiet. He opened the car door and helped Brittney out- something that he had never done before. He pulled her close into his side and walked her to the door.

"Give me your keys."

Brittney handed him the keys without argument. Her mind was on other things namely Paul and Amanda's services. Jian looked around the small but tidy apartment while Brittney packed. He had always admired how she lived so simply.

He ran to her room when he heard a stifled cry. He found her sitting on her bed holding a piece of paper.

"Do you know what this is?" she asked when she saw him. "It's a damned confirmation number for a juicer! Instead of calling Amanda like I wanted to; I ordered a damned juicer! Maybe if I had called I would have interrupted him. She might still be alive!"

"No qin ai de-beloved, it would have made no difference," Jian said as she sat beside her.

"How do you know that?" Brittney asked looking at him.

"I know this the same way that you do," Jian replied gently. "Finish packing and I will take you home where I will answer any and all of your questions."

Brittney nodded, stood up and finished packing. Whether she realized it or not, she was packing for more than an overnight stay. Jian didn't comment on it, but took her bag when she closed it. It was going to be a long night for both of them.

****

The monster curled up under the bridge to rest. He knew that he should have walked away from the human home but he couldn't help himself. Just hearing the human male's obvious love for the female had been too much. He should have killed the male too and was at a loss as to why he didn't.His master was going to be angry that he had killed a connected female, but he was going to be furious that he had left a witness and that the human police were now involved. He huddled into himself and closed his eyes promising himself that he would be more careful and that he would avoid the homes of connected humans. Surely his master would forgive him- he hadn't broken that promise in a long time. He knew that he would be severely punished, but he also knew that if he ever heard the gentle words of love again; he wouldn't be able to control himself. But for now- he was sated.