The Talons of a Dark Heart Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Novak entered the room with a bowl of food setting it on the lacquer table next to her, "Eat," he commanded.

Talyis swallowed hard, her taste buds already cringing from the idea of eating Aricin delicacy, "I am not hungry."

"You are not going to starve yourself to death. I said eat. I made sure my cooks prepare a meal from your land."

Talyis's hunger pains pounded her stomach like children at an empty table chanting for food with knives and forks. She took the bowl of broth with bread and ate silently. Novak sat in a chair across from her, just watching her devour the food gratefully. When she had finished, he was satisfied and took the bowl from her.

"Go wash up, there is still water left in the basin and you will join me in the throne room," he said quietly.

Talyis stood looking at Novak wondering if he intended on staying, but he turned and left the room giving her privacy. She exhaled, thankful to have the room to herself, to her thoughts. Her mind drifted back to her dreams, her land, her father, and mindlessly washed herself in the cold water. The memories of the raid would flood in and bring chills to her. She physically shook herself to put those images aside. The water was feeling colder by the minute so she quickly cleaned and dressed.

She squeezed her eyes as the raid snuck back into her thoughts. Something in her memory of that night was missing, not right. She was missing major important events as to how she ended up captured by the raiders and why her father's guards didn't come. When were her palace guards going to come for her?

Talyis entered the Aricin throne room. The room was filled with more intricate ironwork, candelabras and rich tapestries that reminded her of her mother. Novak sat next to an empty throne, which would one day be filled by the woman of his choosing. Two men from the band stood on either side of the throne. They looked much younger and less intimidating now that they were cleansed, shaven and wearing the official garments of the castle.

Novak snapped his fingers and pointed for her to come by his side. She grumbled with annoyance and approached the platform.

Novak cleared his throat, he raised his eyebrows haughtily, "Bow."

Appalled, Talyis's eyes widened and she clenched her teeth, "No."

"You will bow," Novak's fists tightened, "or you will be made to bow." He motioned to the two men, who took a step forward ready to impose upon her.

With great ire she bowed. She stood in the spot he beckoned her to and said under her breath,It doesn't mean anything, I will never bow my allegiance.

"What was that princess?" Novak snapped, Talyis jumped a bit and shook her head. "Stand and be quiet."

She stood while he listened to villagers complain, compliment and beg the prince of various mundane issues. Lethargy set in her mind as each visitor seemed to blend into the next. She anxiously waited for someone to talk about something more interesting than the price of fish in the market or how great the prince was. The praises of the prince's victories against her people made her livid.

Novak was then fed at his throne the finest fruits of the land and a plate of cured meats that looked even edible to her. Her mouth watered, she really hadn't eaten in days other than what she had nibbled on and the broth from that morning. Her body began to fidget, her legs were tired from boredom and her stomach began to growl in protest as she watched Novak savor his bites.

When the food plate was finished, the throne room door swung opened to women filing into the hall, lining up against the stone wall. They all looked like they were trying very hard to impress with their appearances and imposed statures. One by one, they approached the throne and began to rattle facts about themselves. They chirped about their interests and more praises for the prince. Talyis tried hard to hold back the howl of laughter that was clamoring to pour out. These women, villagers, were attempting to woe the prince to marry him.

Novak grew perturbed hearing Talyis's slight snickers, he looked at the girl and she was delightfully amused by this circus of women he was subjected to everyday in order to find a wife. This girl was laughing at him, despite all that had been done to her, she was still a princess. His eyes rolled to her but instead of giving her look of warning, his mask fell and she stopped laughing feeling sympathetically for the bored prince.

Novak gave a slight smile to the new girl approaching his throne. She began as they all had with praises and attempts to show intelligence. His eyes stole glances at Talyis still very amused. He remembered their arguments and debates during lessons as children. She was three years younger than he but insisted on matching him. She was determined to learn faster than her mind had grown in order to beat him. Thinking about this made him smile. Maybe she wasn't trying to beat him or embarrass him, but she simply wanted to keep up with him. He blushed to himself feeling guilty for his immature ideas. She probably didn't mean anything by her taunts other than childish rivalry. He sighed and feathered his eyelids in order to focus on the girl standing before him.

Annoyance filled him suddenly, the girl had on too much makeup and wore too revealing clothes and she continued to prattle on.

"Enough," Novak interrupted the girl and she jumped startled.

"I apologize mi lord," the girl continued feeling inept to pleasing the prince, "Would you like me to tell you about my collection of-"

"No enough, I will not see anymore girls today,"

The girl squealed and jumped excitedly, "You choose me milord?"

"No," Novak stood up, "You bore me with the same conversation about cooking, bird watching and collections of flowers as did the last seven girls."

The women all frowned and whined collectively before being escorted out by the leader of the search committee.

"My lord," an elegant female voice rose above the dejected girls murmurings, "wont you please see but one more," the voice emerged from the group of women.

A tall captivating woman stood before the throne and gracefully bowed deeply letting her blonde hair swoop like a silk blanket. She smiled seductively and approached the throne offering her hand to the prince.

Novak was just as stunned as Talyis was of the woman that stood before them. She felt so pathetic beside this beautiful maven dressed in the finest of gowns she had ever seen. Novak took her hand to kiss it and sat back down in his chair.

"I promise my lord, I will not drivel on with ridiculous things such mules birthing and other monotonous subjects," she threw a glance towards one of the rejected girls, "but, I do have an affinity for horses. I have a beautiful stallion which I broke in myself. I am also ardent for a fine glass of your best wine, My personal vineyards produce a wonderful robust body."

"Intriguing," Novak was entranced. "What is your name, lady."

"Pardon me, Lord, I am Princess Calena of Navapa. I wish to speak to you about uniting our kingdoms through marriage."

"I am sure that you Navapa do not have the same understandings as we do," Novak began, "Our existence has been threatened and we have to fight to stay a people. And we have slaves and servants."

"Yes, I see you have one standing beside you," Calena replied. Talyis's brow burned with complete disdain.

"Let us dine and continue this discussion. Come Princess I wish to hear all about your horse." Novak smiled and offered his arm to Calena.

***

Talyis had to stand while she refilled the prince and princess's wine goblets. She hated to listen to their conversations. This woman was intent on capturing Novak's attention and he was hooked on her every word. She didn't understand why she suddenly cared to know what would happen in this dining affair. It wasn't as if she desired Novak. She stomped her foot quietly trying to shake her hypocritical thoughts. Her dream from last night was haunting her daydreams. She was jealous. She chewed on her lip watching Novak flirt with the princess. She wanted what he was giving to her; a chance to be noticed and not be the empty cipher in the corner waiting to refill their goblets of companionship. She longed to be desired, cherished, loved and treated like she was beautiful and that no other woman would be clever enough to captivate his mind like she would.

Talyis wanted to pound her chest, it hurt so much. If only she didn't cause the green-eyed boy to run away. If only she was wiser then she would have had the chance to experience what Novak was giving to this Princess. The green-eyed boy was rapt by her and she was of him. He would do anything to make her laugh and smile. She closed her eyes and willed away these memories; she had caused him to run away. Maybe he ran because he never really cared for her as much as she cared for him, she had frightened him away.

Her trance was broken when Novak stood up, his wooden chair scratching against the stone to help Calena from her seat. He gently took her hand and kissed her wrists.

"It is still early. I want to take you to the village so that you may try some of our fruits that only grow in our region. I am sure you will find them quite delicious," Novak said to Calena.

"May I use one of your quarters to change into my riding clothes?" she asked without missing a chance to flirt as she fluttered her eyelashes. Talyis rolled her eyes, wishing the princess's flirtations were seen as outlandish as they were, but Novak was still enrapt.

"Yes," he snapped his fingers and the attendants that were clearing the table turned quickly to him in attention. "Assist Princess Calena. Talyis come with me to ready the horses."

Talyis frowned, the last thing she wanted was to endure more of the evening watching Novak fall for this princess. She felt so inadequate around this woman and their flirtations with each other mocked what she never had. She followed Novak to the stables, not saying a word as he surveyed his stables for the perfect horse for Calena.

"You will accompany us," Novak instructed as he put his saddle unto his horse. Talyis began to saddle one of the other two horses Novak had pulled from the stalls.

Talyis didn't answer. Today her desires to be with the one she so longed for were strong and she was absorbed in deep thought.

Novak sulked watching Talyis so immersed in thought, for a moment she appeared to be tearing at the eyes. Dread and deep regret crept into his heart. Did he indeed break her? He didn't like the woman standing near to him struggling to fasten the saddle buckles; she wasn't the spunky Talyis he had loved.

"Talyis," she didn't turned to him just busied herself with the saddle. He approached her and took over putting the saddle in place. "Talyis, I wish for us to co-exist together. If you try to escape you will be killed. My guards and people know who you are and any attempts to flee will leave you vulnerable and I will not protect you."

"So I am your prisoner," she spat and stepped in his way to finish saddling the horse, her movements very jerky and angry.

Novak sighed knowing the truth of how she came about being captured, "I'd hoped you'd soon not see it that way." He pushed an errant lock of hair from her face and tucked it behind her ear. Talyis snapped away from him, almost hissing like a cat. "When you are not needed by me, you may go anywhere you please within the castle. You may use the kitchen to cook your native foods. In the castle you are safe, my mark protects you. You are only to answer to me."

"Would I have to serve Princess Calena too?" she spat vehemently. She could kick herself for revealing her feelings of irritation with Calena than she wished to unveil to him.

Novak's brows furrowed and sighed heavily. His mind was twisted with conflict; he was already courting the princess. She was an easy decision that would please his people and she would be tolerable. He didn't want to admit it but deep inside he wished he could have the woman he had always wanted and dreamed of having by his side; the only person who would be a strong ruler with him: Talyis.

"I haven't decided yet how you will serve the rest of my family. You will indeed become the nurse to my children and I imagine you would be a great teacher," Novak replied.

Talyis studied him and then turned her attention back to the horse. His answer was simple and she was content but it wasn't what she wanted to hear.

***

Princess Calena and Novak rode side by side holding hands in front of Talyis riding behind. She despised every kind gesture Novak gave to Calena and it made her heart slump even further. They would stop and taste foods in the market, him feeding her berries as she giggled and blushed.

"Slave," Calena called Talyis from her daydream. "I'd like some of these berries for my journey home."

Talyis looked at Novak desperately not wanting to serve the princess, but he nodded in accord with Calena's instruction. It was plain now she would be eternally in servitude to the entire royal family, all her dreams were dashed. She slid off of her horse and asked the merchant for a satchel of berries.

"I'd also like a bit of the cheeses and fruits from the last market we went to, go fetch it please," Calena instructed, her voice sounded like wonderful bells. It was no wonder why Novak was so enticed by her.

Talyis rolled her eyes, wishing she had seen an apothecary on her way into the village; she'd buy a potion to make the Princess's hair fall out. She smiled a bit, imagining Calena's horror as her blonde locks fell out around her fingers and how Novak wouldn't find her so captivating then. She slapped her hands to her face and laughed, why did she cared who Novak found interesting? She resolved to just get on and find a way out. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if she had a companion, maybe Novak would give her permission to have a companion.

"Ae! Pigeon!" a voice boomed from behind her.

She turned around to Delia carrying a basket of bread and flowers. Gareth came up from behind Delia and smiled kindly to her. Talyis was so glad to see Gareth; he had come at the right time.

12