The Talons of a Dark Heart Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the end of the third week the snow at last stopped falling and the sun came out. Gareth told her that if she planned on staying in Aricin, she should return to the castle. He readied his horse to escort her straight to the castle but took her to Ulie's on the way back.

***

The militia men were freezing as they huddled together around the fire in between the two cliffs of the mountain passes. Novak was pushing them with only a small break to warm up. Tonight they would launch a surprise attack on the enemy occupying the land below. The enemy waiting to overthrow their kingdom was confident about defeating their small army.

Novak rode his elegant horse, only the second gift that had been given to him since his parents' murder. At sixteen, Gareth's father had allowed him to keep the stallion only if he could tame it. He worked an entire season building trust between himself and the beast. Just before the end of the season, before the rain began to fall, he was able to mount the horse and victoriously the two rode through the fields at a full gallop. He held on to his stallion's black mane while riding bareback through the farm fields. Exhilarated as the wind flew past him, he felt as if he were flying, his raven hair tossed with the breeze.

The only other gift given to him was from his little princess, Talyis's favorite book. He treasured the book when he had planned for his escape. He had made sure to pack the book that she had given him. If he were to die by wild beasts at least some part of her world would be close to him.

He regretted the day that he had wanted to be open with her. He had wanted to promise her that he'd come back if she so wished when she was Queen. He was going to tell her that he loved her, but she wouldn't let him get a word in edge wise. Instead she threw every word he spoke in sensitivity back at him. Enraged, he had given up. That was the moment what was left of the soft heart his parents had given him had hardened. He had to leave; his memories of his life before were beckoning him more and more. He had no choice but to escape and his weak heart had to be pushed into the river of acid made by the Onor King.

It had happened again, He had tried to be honest with Talyis but she turned his apology and blessings for her to live a pleasant life against him. Now his people were suffering. Again, his heart plunged into an iron cage.

They finally reached the enemy camp. They snuck up in the snow, lighting their arrows and aiming them towards their tents.

Arrows of fire flew through the air; battle calls filled the mountain pass. Heavy boots trampled through the snow, running and sliding towards each other. Large snowflakes floated through the air. Horses screamed and raised themselves in charges. Chains jangled as with roars men pounded maces against bone. Metal scraped and scratched loudly, sending sparks into the air. Men crashed to the ground all around Novak as he pushed through. He was one with the fierce wildness of his horse. His heart pounded.

He reached the royal tent marked with fine animal furs to keep the conspirators warm. A female shriek penetrated the air as Calena ran out with the man Delia had seen while they were away from the kingdom attacking the Aricin, charging towards Novak. The Aricin army of cobblers, butchers, and ironsmiths joined Novak, swords clashing and shields smashing. The snow fell, a silent symphony laying purity over the blood-stained ground. The cacophony of battle died, and it was finally over.

***

Talyis made sure that Ulie was comfortable and had enough food, but seeing Gareth, Ulie fought with her. Ulie wanted nothing but to take care of Gareth and often spat words of scorn towards Talyis the Onor. Talyis tried to push it aside as much as she could, Ulie had never been so unkind to her. She knew it wasn't her senility but her distress over the war and Novak being placed in danger. Gareth said nothing but he was amazed how much understanding Talyis had for the elder even while she blamed her for everything.

Talyis eventually gave up trying to take care of Ulie's physical needs and set about cleaning her cottage instead. Ulie was very happy that Talyis gave up fiddling with her hair, scrubbing the dirt from her body and changing her clothing. All Ulie wanted to do was cook and pamper Gareth.

They decided to leave when Talyis announced that she had finished what she wanted to do. She had become very withdrawn with each accusation Ulie tossed her way. Gareth didn't notice it until the shroud followed Talyis outside while they readied the horses. The weather quickly changed again as storm clouds floated in and blustery winds battered them as they readied the horses.

Gareth asked Talyis while helping her onto his horse, "Talyis, tell me what is wrong. You are so quiet."

She began to speak but only a whimper emerged and she grabbed the side of her belly. Suddenly everything within her felt like lead.

"Are you alright, Talyis?" Gareth came over to her, concerned.

"Gareth," she could barely respond. "Everything hurts." She tried to express herself but her hands trembled with shock, and her insides were like rock. "It's like this emptiness is eating me alive. I can't remember the last time I was hugged or loved."

"Talyis you are mistaken," Gareth said gently.

"You know that I am pregnant?" Gareth nodded and Talyis shock her head, her arms cradling her belly carrying the babe that just had kicked her.

"I'm pregnant by a man who despises me," she cried out in pain as if someone were stabbing her stomach. Her throat burned. " I am alone, Gareth!"

"Talyis, you are wrong again. When you are hurting think of your green-eyed-"

"Enough!" she yelled. "Enough about the green-eyed boy!" She clenched her fist and gritted her teeth; she hadn't wept at all since they captured her and she be damned if she'd cry now. Her stomach twisted and churned with bile, her entire body felt inflamed.

"I cannot and will not live in delusions and dreams, Gareth. Last night, I dreamt he learned what had happened to me and came to rescue me. I cannot dream. It tears me apart everyday. Every waking hour my body feels as if I am turning into stone. I can't do it anymore, Gareth. I've given up on fairy tales and happily-ever-afters. They are for other people, for you and Delia, not for me. All I attract is hatred and destruction. Men who wish to use me, humiliate me and satisfy their needs till they find a choice love. I am left soulless, Gareth. I am left to rot and dreams and wishes only slow it down. Useless hopes attract despair which only makes my death more longer and more painful."

Talyis crumbled at his feet, her arms tight around her body as she rocked back and forth. Gareth could only stare at the broken mare before him. Just as he had warned, Novak succeeded in trying to break her as he had his stallion, but what was left of Talyis was neither beautiful or magnificent as his horse. Novak's vengeance and pride had torn her heart to shreds. He wished a dues ex machina would appear in this little tragedy to make things right. Novak had become the son of a far off foreign goddess, Nemesis. and was leading down the path of fated tangled love.

The rush of many hoofs advanced towards them, and the horn of victory blasted loudly. The entire village seemed to appear as people came out of their boarded prisons and stood in the street, the pitter patter of snow melting and icicles dropping from the homes murmured with their questions. The horn played again, louder as the horses approached. The general leading the army into the square. Many women held themselves back from running after the procession wanting to know if their husbands and brothers had made it back alive. The horses rushed around the square, approached and circling round Talyis and Gareth.

"My lord," the general spoke as he jumped down from his horse. The rest of the army jumped down as well. Like a masterful ballet the army removed their helmets and bowed before Gareth.

"Speak, tell me what's happened?" he said, his mind already dreading the words.

"We were able to push them out of our lands. Many of their people died by the sword and many of ours have given their lives, and others of us are wounded."

"Someone fetch Delia and the healers, bring Delia to the castle, she will aide anyone who is injured," Gareth ordered. "Tell me of our prince, sir."

They all stood still as statues, the general again bowed, his voice cracked when he spoke. "We do not know where he is? When the battle settled, he was no where to be found. We believe he perished in sacrifice."

Talyis began to feel the world around her spinning, she held tightly onto the mane of Gareth's horse. Her heart confirmed it just then. She loved him. "Are you sure he is gone?" she asked.

"We are not certain, but he couldn't have survived the night. It snowed all night and it was freezing," the general answered Talyis and then turned to Gareth. "Your majesty, we looked for him but couldn't see anything in the snow. We left because we knew he would have ordered us to."

Talyis hugged her stomach, the babe inside, her baby and Novak's conceived out of tenderness. She had started to cling to hope, a chance for happiness but all was lost within that moment.

Her eyelids squeezed tightly.Novak is dead. Her heart beat like an ominous drum and stopped.