The Tides Of War Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"In that case Sahib I shall endeavour to make your room more comfortable," he replied with a wide smile.

In the office he sat with Havildar Major Para and discussed how the Fort should look and where to place the horse lines for the time being, after two hours of discussion a final layout plan was agreed.

He rode out of the gate to look for a suitable site for the rifle range. Quarter of a mile from the fort he came across an ideal site a deep wadi six feet deep would be ideal for building the butts of the rifle range.

Later that evening he found time to speak to Taraq, Ashar Kahn's son. It seemed that he would be bringing his eldest son Patar to oversee the training with Taraq. Ashar Kahn would stay the night to ensure everything was in order before returning to the Palace with Jemal.

From Taraq he found out that there were over a two hundred horses in the royal stables, and that Kana horses, were a prized above all others. They can trace their bloodline, back over eight hundred years from early Arabian sources he said proudly. They are renowned for their speed and endurance he proudly told David.

David agreed saying he had been impressed by the horses he'd seen.

Taraq chuckled, "the Sahib has not yet seen a true Kana horse yet."

When he entered his room he was surprised to find it altered. Curtains hung from the windows and scatter rugs covered the floor, a bed had replaced his cot, with sheets on it. A cane rocking chair was alongside an ornate coffee table and shelves had been erected on the wall. He had also acquired two more oil lamps.

When Hanga arrived with his meal, David thanked him for the furnishings but asked where he had got them.

"Oh the men gave them to me for the Sahib but I have not been able to find a wardrobe or drawers."

David suggested that has he would be returning to the city the day after tomorrow he could accompany him there to get them, he also told him that the Horse Master would be sleeping in his room tomorrow and would require a bed for the night.

That night David slept knowing things where beginning to change, they still had a long way to go, but they had started.

Chapter 9

After breakfast a detail of twelve men went out with a cart containing building materials to start work on the rifle range with a Naik in command.

David was in his new office writing out the points he wished to raise with the Prince, when he was informed a caravan was approaching from the city.

By the time he had finished his notes and started to walk to the paddocks, he found the tailor with his wagon by the gate.

Spotting Havildar Turin he order him to bring out the men inside the barracks and issue out the new uniforms. Telling the tailor he would wish to speak with him later.

By the time he reached the paddocks he found one of them all ready containing twenty horses. He walked on to where Ashar Kahn sat upon a magnificent bay mare alongside what could only be his eldest son Patar on an equally magnificent grey stallion. Behind them where five large wagons three off them piled high with fodder.

David stopped and bowed his head "Horse Master, welcome," he said giving him the respect his position deserved.

Ashar Kahn smiled and they both dismounted "Colonel Sahib it is good to see you again. I have brought my most docile animals to carry out your training later when it is done you shall have better horses."

"Can I offer you and your son refreshment, after your long ride?" David asked.

"That would be most welcome, but first I must see to my children," he turned and gave out a command to some one behind the fodder wagons. And two men appeared leading two horses. David's eyes widened at the sight of them. One was a chestnut stallion over sixteen hands high, its chest and withers spoke off strength whilst its bright eyes showed intelligence. The grey mare being led by the other man was slightly smaller but still showing the same characteristics of the stallion but with a more pronounced Arab look to its head.

They were put into the smaller paddock, which had been dived in two, one in each section.

David turned to Ashar Kahn "I have never seen more magnificent animals," he gasped.

Ashar Kahn chuckled, "the stallion is called Kahn and the mare Sulkie. They are the cream of the Princes stables neither has ever had a saddle on them. But has I warned you, they must pick who rides them." He gave out further instructions to the men in the wagons then he and his son followed him into the fort.

They sat inside his room drinking lemon juice; Patar had gone to join his brothers for a meal in the mess hall.

"So Horse Master how should I go about winning their trust," he asked.

Ashar Kahn smiled "you must get them to love you, and for that you will need patience, a great deal of patience. But you will be rewarded for it. It is easy to break a horse to your will, but you will never truly have its love, and so you will never have the best it has to offer.

Sulkie has a loving nature and you will find she responds to you the first. Kahn is arrogant and full of pride, has is his right, has the king of his line. But he will become curious when he sees Sulkie getting more attention than him. Colonel Sahib you will need to let them get to know you, your sight and smell. You must try to find time to feed and water them, and each evening offer them an apple, I have brought some for you.

By the time they returned to the paddocks, Ashar Kahn's men had placed water troughs in the paddocks and forage for the horses.

Ashar Kahn sent the men off to get their meals. Saying when they returned they would unload the wagons in the fort. "I have brought grain has well has fodder and the saddles. My sons will instruct your men in the welfare of the animals." They moved to the paddocks that Kahn and Sulkie were in; Kahn was snorting and pawing the ground whilst Sulkie merely chewed on her fodder.

"He is not used to being penned up Sahib and is showing his displeasure," Ashar Kahn chuckled. He gave a low whistle "Sulkie my dove here". Sulkie turned from the fodder and slowly walked over towards them, stopping about six feet from the paddock bars. "She smells you Sahib," he whispered. He reached into his robe and brought out an apple handing it to David. "Hold out your hand with it Sahib." Sulkie saw the apple her ears standing up but hesitated pawing the ground.

"Talk to her Sahib she is a woman and loves praise."

"Sulkie my pretty do you want this apple, come take it."

Sulkie advanced a step and stopped tossing her head. It took nearly an hour before she took the apple from his hand and then bolted away with it.

"Observe Kahn Sahib." David looked to see Kahn standing ten feet away by the dividing rails looking at them.

The unloaded wagons were returning from the Fort has they made their way back.

He noticed the men in their new uniforms looking happy with them as they passed. He excused himself from Ashar Kahn and went over to see the tailor who was distributing the last off the uniforms.

Taking him on one side, he explained he wanted a further order of the same numbers, plus two sets to fit him. He asked if he could produce hats like his own.

The tailor said he had a brother who could make them after examining David's. Finally David said he needed a flag making, he told him the colour and drew in his notebook the motif he wanted on it, also the same motif has a patch that could be sewn onto the arm off the jackets and he would need 400 of them.

The tailor said has it may take a little time for such a big order.

So he was told to bring out when he had a hundred ready. He told him he was going the city the next day and would call in at his shop to pay him.

The tailor took out his tape measure and measured him up saying his suites would be ready when he called.

He found the Havildar Major in the company office sewing on his stripes and crown.

"How do you like the new uniform," he asked.

His face broke out into a wide smile "this is a soldiers uniform Sahib not the woman's uniform we had."

David asked him to mount a strong guard over the paddocks to ensure the safety of the horses, before wishing him goodnight.

In his own room Hanga told him the Horse Master had thanked him for the offer of a bed but would be sleeping in the wagons with his sons out by the paddock.

The column of wagons set off back to the city after breakfast the next morning Hanga rode in the wagon with Ashar Kahn's youngest son, Patar and Taraq would be staying to do the training.

Once the column was under way David and Ashar Kahn totted on ahead rather than stay with the slow moving wagons.

"When you have finished your business with his Majesty Sahib seek me out we need speak of the saddles you will need" he said.

They separated at the gates to the palace and David was conducted to the normal meeting room, where he was offered sherbet to drink.

When the Prince arrived they got straight down to business, David opened his notebook and began to explain what he had done to date. Ending by saying that he required funds to pay the tailor, and handed over the materials list for the fort alterations. On a more personnel note he thanked the Prince for the whiskey and for the horses saying he only hoped he could be worthy of their trust.

The Prince smiled when he had finished.

Then he began to say what he had done.

An account had been opened in his bank in London in David's name and £1000 would be deposited in it each month.

The Gurkhas pay and conditions would be brought in line with his household troops.

The Khana Rifles would be given a war chest off 100,000 rupees, thus being able to purchase their own food and incidentals rather than rely on rations sent out to them.

He ended by saying he had been informed by his agents that a further fourteen Gurkhas were making their way to Kana to join up, nine of them from Nepal.

"Has for the whisky I'm afraid I developed at taste for it at Oxford, You shall have a further supply before you leave but don't let my mullahs know" he said laughing.

In a more serious tone he went on to say, "From information I have received, it would seem that the unrest in the Sudan and South Africa, whilst deflecting the British Army's attention from Kana, is being welcomed in Russia. My agents in Kandahar and Kabul have reported seeing European's with some off the more radical chiefs.

If Britain becomes embroiled in war in those areas mentioned, then I'm afraid it may prompt Russia to try to invade India. Their main route of invasion would be through the Khyber Pass but if they attack Khana Pass and took it, they could swing around and take the Khyber Pass from the rear.

So you see David why I place so much dependence on the Khana Rifles, they may be our only chance of survival."

"Do you think they would use Russian troops Sir?"

"I don't think so initially, rather they would encourage the Afghans to take Khana. That way it's just classed has local disturbance on the world stage. But that doesn't mean to say they won't support the Afghans with weapons, technology and intelligence, not to mention money."

David left the meeting mulling over the sobering information from the Prince.

He was shown to Ashar Kahn, who was in the saddle hall.

Who in turn introduced him to the royal saddler.

"Now Sahib what sort of saddle do you and your men require," he asked.

"Basically it needs to be comfortable the men will spend long hours in the saddle covering rocky terrain, and they will require saddle bags to carry ammunition, food, and extra clothing. Provision to tie a bedroll on the back and a water canteen at the front. For my own saddle I would like provision to fix a holster like the one I'm wearing and a rifle scabbard."

Ashar Kahn had been interoperating to the man has he spoke.

"And how many would the Sahib require," he asked.

"Fifty one including mine has soon has possible, but another hundred and fifty after that to be delivered in batches of fifty, but we will all need halters and reins to go with them"

Ashar Kahn finished talking to the man then turned to David saying work would begin immediately.

He found Peshawar waiting for him with a stout wooded box and a covered basket by his feet by the entrance to the palace "I have been ordered to give you this Sahib" he said indicating the box and handing him a key.

Inside were heavy bags of rupees; he told him he would require a cart to transport the box. But it seemed that Peshawar had already thought of that, and a mule and cart was at his disposal.

It took the two of them to lift it into the cart. He tied his horse onto the back and then drove down into the town locating the tailors shop; Hanga was waiting outside of it.

He removed a bag from the box and relocked it.

Hanga came to him "Sahib I have found the very things for your room, but the thief off a shop owner will not budge below thirty five rupees."

"Very well Hanga," he said counting out the coins, "but he must help load it on the cart, you must stay here and guard that box," he said going into the shop.

The tailor came out of the back to meet him "Are Sahib you are just in time, we have now finished the Sahib suit, come this way and try it on please."

David followed him to a curtained cubical. He had to confess it was a good fit and told the tailor so, who beamed at the praise. After paying him for the work so far, he found the cart now loaded with the wardrobe and chest of drawers. David replaced the bag back into the box and put the key in his pocket. With Hanga taking the rains he mounted his horse and they left the city.

Night had fallen by the time they reach the fort, a few of the men helped to unload the cart whilst Hanga saw to the mule.

He wearily fell on his bed and was asleep instantly.

Chapter 10

The next morning after his wash and shave David fixed Colonels rank to his shoulder straps of his new uniform before putting it on. After his breakfast Havildar Major Para reported to him for his approval off his standing orders.

He had broken the command down into three groups, two groups of twenty would be either be horse training or on the rifle range, forty-five would be on building duty, and twelve on guard duty. His plan was to rotate the groups each day. David approved and signed, but added that he would like to address the entire command before dinner that night.

He picked up two apples from the stock Ashar Kahn had left and walked around to the paddocks. Patar and Taraq had the twenty Gurkhas already mounted and walking around the paddock and then he realised that they had started with this group yesterday.

He moved on down to the small split paddock. Kahn moved to the far end of it when he saw him. But Sulkie followed him with her head, not moving. He stopped at the intersection off the two paddocks and just stood there. Kahn stood pawing the ground his nostrils flared. But Sulkie turned her body to face him. He took the apples out of his pocket and pushed his arms through the bars, one arm in each paddock with an apple offered. Then just stood silently watching, he knew the horses had seen them. Minutes passed then Sulkie took a step forward and stopped.

"Sulkie my pretty girl do you want an apple," he said softly. She looked at him and took another step forward, "come on girl," he encouraged. She moved stopping four feet from him, she lifted her head and he could see her nostrils flaring, she smelling me he realised. After a while with him talking to her she took another step and lowered her head and slowly took the apple. But she didn't bolt away this time just stepped back.

"That's a good clever girl," he murmured. Then he noticed Khan, he had moved silently across the paddock to stand twelve feet away with his head over the rail watching them.

He returned has the men were finishing for the day making their way back to the Fort.

This time when he offered the apples Kahn moved to the dividing fence but stopped six feet away again to watch. But Sulkie seemed more confident slowly walking towards him has he talked to her. When she took the apple she stood chewing it her eyes on him all the time.

It took a week before Kahn would take an apple by that time Sulkie would allow him to rub her velvet like mussel, she would trot over to the intersection has soon has he came into view.

By that time the brothers had the Gurkhas riding in formation across country. He had found time to zero in his own rifle to the point that he could place five bullets in a three-inch group at 500 yards.

He had informed the troop of their new pay and benefits to load cheers. Havildar Major Para had control off the cash box, for which he kept scrupulous account records. The Havildar cook would use the mule and cart to visit the city two or three times a week to buy food. Has a consequence the food had improved out of all proportion for the men.

A flagpole had been erected in the centre of the parade ground from which the unit flag flew. Lovet green with the legend 1st Khana Rifles with a kukri crossed with a rifle has the motif. Smaller versions of the flag were appearing on the shoulders of their jackets has supplies arrived. The first shipment of hats had arrived and went to the men who achieved the highest score on the rifle range.

The work on the Fort gain pace, new quarters were being added and the old wall on the west torn down and a new one fifty feet further away built.

But despite the constant work load David found time to visit his horses in the morning and in the evening. Stables for them were being built inside the fort near his room.

Twenty new recruits had arrived, six from the Gurkha Rifles. Havildar Turin had said it was rumoured amongst the regiment, that they would be shipped overseas, and this may be, why they had not re-enlisted.

At the start of the second week Patar and Taraq came to see him.

"Colonel Sahib it is time for us to return these horses and bring out the mounts your men will use, how many will you need?"

"Thank you for the work you and your bother have done. It is remarkable how quickly you have shown the men how to ride. As to how many horses I need now, fifty is the number I would like to have, but it depends on how many saddles have been made, also is it possible to leave five horses behind for the new men to train on, who have just joined us."

"Colonel Sahib your men are very fast learners and are not afraid. We shall bring has many horses has there are saddles to go on them, and leave the horses you require to train with. We shall also be bringing with us more food for the horses, will the Colonel Sahib have rooms to put it in?"

"We shall find room Patar," he shook hands with them both and wished them safe journey.

He discussed this point with Havildar Major Para and he replied he would attend to it. Whenever he crossed the parade ground now he would receive sharp salutes from the men, which he always returned. The men were coming together has a unit he knew. So far there had been no reported incidents from the Pass, but he felt it was only the lull before the storm.

Work had begun on making a proper armoury a ten-foot deep trench thirty feet long by twenty feet wide had been dug and was now in the process of being lined with blocks from the old wall. When completed steps would lead down to it and the roof would be reinforced, all the ammunition would be kept in it along with weapons.

Wherever he looked men were hard at work in one task or another, and his pride in them created a lump in his throat.

By the end of the third week Sulkie would let him brush her with a currycomb and no longer trembled when he touched her, Kahn would have his head over the fence and whinny has if jealous off her attention.