The Tides Of War Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Taraq said that Kahn was the son of his father's mare Jazal, and his father had been Mogul a stallion that had never been broken, just used for breeding. Sulkie was the daughter off the Prince's own Arab stallion Swift and a daughter off Mogul.

He went on to say that there were over 200 horses in the royal herd and over 600 in the market herd.

When David asked what the market herd was, he was told the horses that were for sale.

It seemed the horses the men had, came from this herd.

David told him that he would need the next batch of horses, has soon has the saddles were ready for them.

Taraq said he would return to the city to find out, and return with the horses if the saddles were ready.

He said the training of accustoming the horses to gunfire was going well and the next stage would to be the riders firing from horseback, adding the men might suffer a few bruises in the process.

After Taraq had left David realised that Kahn and Sulkie would have to undergo the same training.

David had to let Hanga take the horses to the paddock the next morning, has the men for the well had arrived.

They had left their two wagons outside the Fort. He waited has an elderly man dressed in rich clothes walked about the fort with Havildar Major Para accompanying him.

When they returned to his office Para interrupted for him.

It seemed that a river passed beneath the Fort fed by the mountain streams from the snow.

Further it would be no problem to drill a well at the point the man had found it was only he estimated, twenty feet deep.

The spot he had picked was at the lower end of the Fort, down near his own quarters, away from Para's beloved parade square.

He left to let the Havildar Major assembling a detail and to organise the installation.

He found a Lance Naik in charge off a five man detail helping to build a forge for the blacksmith.

Who was a broad muscular man in his mid to late twenties David judged.

The Lance Naik told him he had worked for his father for twenty years learning the trade, but his mother didn't get on well with his wife, has they all livid under the same roof.

The man had bowed his head and smiled at David when introduced and David had shaken his hand.

Discovering his name was Jolah, from the few Kana words he could understand the man was grateful to work for the Colonel Sahib.

He returned to his office going over the inventory from the Quartermaster Havildar, authorising the replacement of uniforms and boots requested.

After he had left David decided it was time to put into motion his plan for the restructuring of the Company.

He called Havildar Major Para into his office and told him to sit down in front of his desk.

He started to explain that the Company was expanding fast, they're being 148 men now in the muster book, and that number would rise to 230.

There would be two Companies off 100 men in each company, and 30 men in administration duties eventually.

He wanted Para to take charge of the Fort's administrative duties with the rank of Subedar Major effective immediately.

He was to select his own team from the men hopefully too old for combat. He went on to say that he needed him to take the weight of administration from his shoulders. To release him to concentrate on the training of the troops, who from now on would have the title of Rifleman.

He would be free to promote those in his section he saw fit.

He watched Para's face, at the news, a mixture of shock, pleasure and pride registered.

He came to attention, saying he would have his recommendations on his desk by the morning, giving a smart salute has he left.

David sat back in his chair and ran his fingers through his hair feeling tired his head aching with the decisions he had made, and the decisions he had yet to make.

The following morning he had Subedar Major Para's list, which he approved.

He sent for Havildar Turin and asked him to assemble his unit by the armoury.

The Quartermaster was on hand noting the serial numbers of the rifles has they were issued to the unit. David couldn't help but notice the men had sewn a patch, to the top of their jackets arm, with a Tiger embroider. Each man was issued with six clips of ammunition, to zero their rifle in. He watched has they mounted up, the rifles slung around their shoulders, has they rode out the rifle range.

Four days later three things happened, the weapons and ammunition arrived, the remount horses and saddles arrived, and he sat on Sulkie.

It was hard to know which he was most pleased about. Havildar Sultar unit was detailed to clean and service the rifles.

Has usual he had saddled Sulkie in the morning and fitted her bridle, before leading her and Kahn out to the paddock. After making a fuss of her he had sat on the rail of the paddock watching them. Sulkie had come over to where he sat almost leaning on his legs. He had slowly swung his leg over her back, keeping his weight on the leg standing on the post, then slowly lowered himself down into the saddle.

He was softly talking to her all the time. He felt a tremor pass through her body, but he lent forward and stroked her neck, has she bent her head to look at him.

"Sulkie my brave darling don't be afraid" he murmured scratching behind her ear.

Slowly he felt the tension leave her body. He reached down and adjusted the stirrups and slipped his feet into them.

"Ok girl lets walk" he said giving her ribs a genital squeeze with his boots.

Sulkie began walking hesitant at first, unused to the weight on her back, he let her find her own way round the paddock.

When she stopped a light tap with his boots would start her again.

After a while he started guiding her with the reins. By mid-morning they were making figure of eight turns in the paddock.

Sulkie seemed to be enjoying this new game.

He stopped and dismounted and cuddled her head whispering to her, before mounting again.

He was engrossed in what he was doing that he didn't see Taraq sitting on his horse watching until they started moving again.

Taraq smiled "I see the Colonel Sahib has made a conquest" he chuckled.

He leant over and opened the paddock gate.

"Come ride at the side of me Colonel Sahib, and see your new horses"

Sulkie fell in alongside Taraq's stallion and the walked slowly down to the big paddock where his brother was guiding the new mounts in.

Five big wagons were making their way in to the Fort.

"So Sahib when did this little miracle happen" he asked.

"Oh about three hours ago" and he explained how it happened.

"Because she loves you, is why she has not made a fuss" Taraq replied.

It was only mid-afternoon, but he decided to take the horses back to the stable, he had more paper work to sort that couldn't wait now.

Kahn snorted when he lead him sat on Sulkie, she almost seemed to preen at her new position.

As he entered the Fort the men laughed and clapped, at the sight of him mounted on her.

Hanga was standing outside with a huge smile on his face, has he dismounted and handed him Kahn halter.

Hanga led him into his stall while he removed the saddle and bridal from Sulkie.

Once in her stall, she came and pushed her head against his chest for him to fondle her.

Hanga came and gave him the apples. He gave Sulkie hers first, before turning to Kahn.

Stroking his velvet nose "now you see boy how easy it is don't you" he murmured giving him the apple.

He rested his head against Kahn's for a few moments, before leaving them.

David sat at his desk going over the list Havildar Sultar had left for him.

Of the two Naik's he had requested, one was already a Naik the other a Lance Naik

Of the four Lance Naik's, he would need, two already had that rank.

He had recommended a former 2nd Rifleman for the rank, but his last choice for Lance Naik was a 21year old, who, had only been in the unit three years coming from Nepal.

He checked his range record and discovered he was the best shot in the Company, beating Havildar Turin by 2, the second best shot.

Sultar must have his reasons he thought has he signed it; the list would go on the bulletin board in the morning.

To speed up Cobra units training, he would have them sort their horses out in the morning and riding them until lunchtime.

After their meal he would have the Quartermaster issue them their rifles and forty rounds of ammunition per man.

Then ride out to the range on their horses they could be picketed some distance away, whist the men zeroed in their rifle and began practice.

Taraq would know when to bring the horses nearer.

He drafted out the order and sent it over to be pinned up on the bulletin board along with Cobra Units list.

The sound of Last Post, ringing out over the parade ground has the flag was lowered, alerted him to the time.

He sat in his rocking chair with a glass of whisky waiting for Hanga to cook his dinner.

He had made his mind up that when the ammunition belts arrived he would take a section of Tiger under Havildar Turin up to the Pass,

They would be stationed there for two weeks being relieved by the second section at the end of that period.

He realised that the Naik in charge of the second section would have to be the better of the two Naik's in Turin's unit.

He would have to speak to him on that, Hanga came in with his dinner, lamb chops.

He was sat outside enjoying a cheroot, one of fifty the Prince had given him along with the two bottles of whisky.

When Taraq passed calling good night, David called him over and asked if he would take his stallion with him, when they went out to the rifle range tomorrow.

Sulkie swung her tail the next morning has he saddled her, has if impatient to be off.

Hanga passed him Kahn's halter rope, and they set off for the paddock. Once Kahn was in, he closed the gate.

"Ok girl lets go for a ride, they rode out into the open country in a walk, and then they trotted has Sulkie became use to his commands.

He increased to a canter and then gave her, her head "go on girl let's see what you can do" he urged has Sulkie leapt forward has he lent over her neck.

Her long legs were eating up the ground. If he hadn't had his chinstrap down, his hat would have been torn off with the wind of her passage.

The ride was exhilarating, after a few miles he slowed her down to a trot again has they turned heading back to the Fort.

She had been cooped up in the paddocks, for over five weeks, and he knew she had to take things slowly before she regained her full strength.

Back at the stable he removed the saddle and bridal and rubbed her down with straw to remove the sweat from her chest and gave her head a hug.

She followed him without a halter back to the paddock.

The Quartermaster way laid him as he entered the Fort again.

A merchant from the city had delivered 51 cartridge belts the Subedar Major had paid him and they were now in his store. He had also been accompanied with another man, with a mule cart and four baskets of pigeons.

He's down at the end of the Fort with the Subedar Major.

When he reached them the man was unloading his cart off wood.

Subedar Major Para explained to David that the man was going to make a sort of dovecote to house his pigeons.

He handed David a letter that the man had brought. It was from the Prince.

The letter explained that the man, Ali, was conversant with the code used by the Prince, all he need do, is tell him what he wanted to say, and Ali would convert it to code and dispatch a bird. The letter went on to say that he would train birds to fly from the Pass and return to the Fort.

But he would need to create a code of his own to fit the slips of papers used on the pigeon.

It seemed Ali knew the blacksmith and was going to lodge with him, so Para informed him. David thanked him and said he would leave it to him.

On his way back up the Fort he saw Havildar Turin working with his men on the buildings. He asked him to follow him back to his office.

Once inside he told Turin to sit down, and he began to explain what he intended to do.

When he reached the part of the section change over, and his concern about the Naik left in charge. Turin said he would stay behind to take charge of the section, saying, "These are my men Colonel Sahib".

David said for him to draw cartridge belts and 60 rounds of ammunition and 30 clips per man. They would need to draw rations for two weeks and grain for the horses. A further 500 rounds of ammunition, packed on the docile training horses. The men would need to take a blanket roll and extra clothing in their saddlebags.

He told him he would be going with them, and remain for a few days, while he reconnoitred the Pass.

The section would move out after their midday meal. After he dismissed him, he went and informed the Quartermaster, and drew six clips. He still had 65 rounds left from the box he had taken on the ship along with the six clips.

He warned Hanga of his intentions, has he packed his saddlebags. Hanga warned him that it would be cold at the Pass. He loaded the clips with bullets and fitted them into his ammunition belt cases. He then packed 30 rounds of pistol ammunition and his telescope, compass and notebook. Hanga returned carrying a thick blanket and a ground sheet made from oiled canvas.

The blanket was not standard issue, when he queried it. Hanga had replied, "The Colonel Sahib will be most grateful for it. It gets ducally cold up there at night". They wrapped up the blanket with the ground sheet over it too protect it.

He was returning Kahn and Sulkie back to the stable when Havildar Sultar's section walked in with Taraq leading his stallion. After seeing them into their stalls, he turned to watch has they unsaddled and began to currycomb their animals prior to feeding them. He sent Hanga to attend to his stallion has he began to brush Kahn and Sulkie.

He released them into the big paddock to give them more room the next morning.

When he returned he saw Havildar Turin down by the armoury drawing ammunition with his detail, ammunition belts thrown over their shoulders.

He took his stallion from the horse line and led it to the rail by the stable and saddled it.

It took him nearly half an hour adjusting the rifle holster until he was satisfied he could draw the rifle easily whilst mounted.

Finally, he loading it and slipping it in, with the safety on. He attached the saddlebags and bedroll and the two-pint water bottle to the pommel and his loaded pistol into the saddle holster. He stood back satisfied, patting the horse's neck.

Looking across at the horse lines he could see riflemen engaged in the same task.

To be continued.