The Tides Of War Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

When he came to see them now Sulkie would gallop over to him and stick her head over the rail for him to stroke her whilst chewing his apple. Kahn was more couscous he would take the apple and chew it but if he raised his hand to stroke him he would back away.

Havildar Turin had given him a list off the fifty men who had impressed him the most on the range and in the saddle, and had suggested a Lance Naik who should be made up to a Naik and two others who should be promoted to Lance Naik's.

The formation would be made up of a Havildar, two Naik's, each in charge of a twenty-four strong unit, and two Lance Naik's, per unit.

David had the names and ranks of formation posted on standing orders next day, under the name Tiger Company.

Two days later Havildar Turin came to his office accompanied with a Lance Naik who was in the Tiger Company the two men came to attention and saluted which David returned.

Turpin asked how the men would carry their ammunition and how much would they need to carry. The question took David off guard, he said he supposed in their pockets and about fifty rounds. He then asked, why they asked.

It seemed that the Lance Naik had been considering this question and had experimented with a clip and spent cartridge cases, and had made a little leather case in which two clips loaded with spent cartridge cases fitted. The Lance Naik went on to say the case could be attached to a belt slung over the shoulder so has not to impede the kukri on their waist belt. Five or six cases could be held this way. David was immediately impressed with the idea. He gave them his permission to go into the city, the next time the cook went in and locate a shop that could make them. He would need to see the first one and if satisfied would order the making 150.

Havildar Major Para was now taking a lot of the day to day running from David's shoulders and he trusted the man's long experience and loyalty. Which allowed him to start considering the Pass, he was determined that has soon has possible to reconnoitre it.

He found out in discussions with the Havildar Major that it was the General who had initially had the fort built at this location. To keep the Gurkhas separated from the general population due to their different religions and customs. The site had been chosen due to the well. The fort was ten miles from the main caravan route that hugged the hills climbing up towards the Pass. With the addition of horses and the increase of personnel the well was vital to the Fort. He had been told it had never run dry and was only twenty-five feet deep. The problem was that two men were almost constantly drawing water. David decided to bring this up with the Prince at their next meeting. There was also the question of communication; it took nearly five hours of riding to reach the city from the Fort, and over three hours from the Pass to the Fort.

The work on the Fort, with now almost a hundred men available was progressing fast.

His new quarters had been completed, separated from the other buildings. It consisted off an office, and a bedroom with a separate lounge. Hanga had made frequent visits to the city to purchase items for it. The stables for his horses were complete and were alongside it Hanga had his room which doubled has his bedroom and a kitchen.

When he had broached the subject of it to Havildar Major Patar, he was told Hanga had come to see him claiming that the Colonel Sahib was a proper English gentleman and couldn't be expected to eat the same food has the men. So he had given him the funds from the Company chest to buy kitchen equipment and proper English food.

David had chuckled when he heard this, but had been grateful because now he was enjoying bacon and eggs for breakfast and beef with dinner. How Hanga had managed to buy these was a mystery to him has pig was considered unclean and cows worshiped by the Indian people.

The day came when he could lead Kahn and Sulkie into their new stable. Once in their new stalls Sulkie showed her approval by rolling in the hay while Kahn looked on aloofly.

Chapter 11

The lookouts announced the arrival off a large column approaching the Fort three days later. Through his telescope he picked out Patar and Taraq along with Ashar Kahn herding a large group of hoses with six large wagons bringing up the rear.

He ordered a Havildar to organise water for the approaching column, then walked round to the paddocks. Kahn and Sulkie were in the large paddock. The five men receiving instruction from a Naik sat on their horses in the smaller paddock watching the fast approaching column. David opened the gate and called to Kahn and Sulkie, they came over to him, Sulkie dropped her head sniffing his jacket, she could smell the apples "Come on my beauties, follow me" he lead them round to the divided paddock once inside he closed the gate standing inside with them. When he produced an apple Kahn pushed Sulkie's head away with his to take it. "Never mind darling I have one for you too" he said offering it to her, he stood between them rubbing their necks has they chewed.

When he turned to leave the paddock he saw Ashar Kahn sat on his horse watching him, a thoughtful smile on his face.

"I came to see my children, but I find they have a new love" he murmured. He dismounted and walked along side of David leading his horse, whilst his sons lead the horses into the large paddock, the wagons moving towards the gate.

Has they walked towards his quarters David told him of his progress with them. Inside his lounge Ashar Kahn sat in the rocking chair, Hanga appeared "would the Horse Master like some refreshment" he asked. Ashar Kahn looked at the decanter sat on the sideboard, one of Hangar's acquisitions.

Is that whisky wine he asked?

David poured out a good measure for him and a smaller one for himself.

"His Majesty has shown me the medicinal benefits of whisky wine" he murmured taking a drink.

He then began to explain that they had delayed coming out until the fifty saddles were complete, adding that it was now ready. He also had a message from his Majesty to say the package from England was now on its way and arrangements made to receive it. They began to talk about the progress of the Fort and David mentioned his concern regarding the water supply.

"In the city we have wells that are powered by windmills, once the flow has started it continues until it is stopped by a handle Colonel Sahib."

He went on to say he would arrange for men responsible for making these to come out to the fort.

"Tomorrow we will let the horses choose their riders then I must return to the city, my sons will stay to help.

Later he watched has details unloaded the wagons under the supervision of an old Havildar who had been made Quartermaster for the Company. Havildar Turin distributed the saddles and tack to the men in his command, there were also Lovet green saddle blankets edged with gold piping.

Taraq brought his saddle tack and blanket to him, along with a jar of saddle soap.

The saddle was beautifully made in black leather with all the additions he had asked for. The rifle holster had straps to adjust the fit and was lined inside with a thick green material.

Ashar Kahn had advised him to place the saddle between the stalls of Kahn and Sulkie to let them get use to the sight of it, also to saddle his horse were they could see him doing it. He said his sons would be showing the Gurkhas how to care and lookout for diseases in the animal.

"But you will need a blacksmith to shoe them. I have in mind", he said "the eldest son off the royal blacksmith. He is not only skilled in shoeing but also versed in the art of treating ailments in the animals. I am sure he would agree to work here at the fort if accommodation for him and his young wife could be found".

David had agreed at once and said he would leave the matter of pay to the Horse Master to agree with him.

That night he stood behind David has he gave them their evening apples caressing their necks has he spoke to them in their stalls.

"Colonel Sahib you will soon begin to accustom Sulkie to the saddle" he murmured.

The next morning he followed Havildar Turpin's unit out to the Paddock each man carried either half an apple or a carrot. Ashar Kahn and his sons walked with them.

At the paddock Ashar Kahn addressed them.

"You will need to spread out on the opposite end from the horses. Make no sudden moves but whisper to them has if addressing a child. When a horse accepts your offering it means it has chosen you. Stroke it and talk soothingly to it, and then lead it with its halter out of the paddock.

The men filed into the paddock, the horses moved to the end away from them. The men spread out in a line and offered up their piece of food talking to them. Nothing happened for several minutes, and then a mare broke from the herd and walked slowly over to a Gurkha and took the offering standing patently chewing has the Gurkha made a fuss of her, before leading her out of the paddock. Soon others followed David noticed a black stallion selected Havildar Turin.

Hanga had his horse waiting by the horse stalls when he returned, Kahn and Sulkie's heads looking at him has he removed the saddle from the post dividing them. Sulkie whinnied thinking he was about to give her an apple. But they both watched has he saddled the docile mare he rode, before he gave them their morning apples.

Kahn snorted has he mounted and rode over to where Ashar Kahn now mounted waited. They rode out of the gate together.

The Prince was already seated waiting for them when they were shown in to the usual room that they had their meeting in.

After the customary greetings David began his report. The Prince listened nodding his head when David mentioned about the blacksmith and windmill and that the Horse Master would organise that. Ending by saying he was concerned about communication stating how long it would take riding to deliver a message.

The Prince said he would look into the matter. "And now my news" the Prince murmured "the next package from England is due to land, in the next week, a further package three weeks later. I have written to Mr Henry Cartwright ordering a further 150 rifles and halve million rounds of ammunition, I think it only prudent to stock up with ammunition, because it could well be supplies of cordite will soon become scarce if the British War Department has its way.

The meeting came to a close with David saying he was returning to the Fort that day.

Ashar Kahn said he would have a fresh horse awaiting him.

Before leaving the city he visited the leather shop Havildar Turpin had mentioned regarding the cartridge belt. The merchant produced the one he had made. David slipped it over his shoulder and immediately the merchant said "the Sahib has it on the wrong shoulder". David realised he'd put it over his right shoulder due to his left-handedness. He explained why, and the merchant said he could rectify it in a few minutes.

While he waited he tried on some riding boots finding a pair that had soft black leather uppers but with a stout sole's and heels. When he returned with the modified belt David tried it on again and found he could flick the lid of the case quite easily and close it using the brass stud that held the lid. Satisfied he told the merchant to make 150 of them but to deliver the first 51 he made to the fort where he would be paid, also to add the cost of the boots and have another pair just like them made.

The bay stallion that Ashar Kahn had left for him, was big and strong and eat up the miles back to the fort, but the sun had set before he passed through the gates.

He warned Havildar Major Para that the next consignment of weapons and ammunition were due in roughly ten days' time knowing he would take care of it the next day. He also mentioned about quarters for the blacksmith and his wife and that someone was coming out from the city to sort something out for the well.

Para made a note in his book and said it would be attended too.

He made a point of seeking Patar and asked him how the horses would react to gunfire.

He said they might try to bolt, to overcome this he suggested that he take the unit out to the rifle range whilst it was being used.

He would keep them lined up some distance away and gradually over time bring them closer. Once the horses were accustomed to that, the men should try firing their rifles whilst on horseback.

David had a detail off new men sent out to the range using the Martini Henrys.

Later he brought the stallion he had rode, out to the paddock in which Kahn and Sulkie where in.

First of all in walked around mounted in the inside of the paddock, the two horses backed in a corner watching, then he dismounted and unsaddled. He waited a few minutes then re-saddled mounted a walked around again, he repeated this half a dozen times before Kahn and Sulkie lost interest and looked else were.

After his meal that night he went out to the stables with the apples and saw Kahn and Sulkie smelling his saddle. They recognised him when he was still twenty feet away, their ears going forward and whinnying. Now when he produced an apple Kahn normally won, being the more aggressive, but after they had eaten them, Sulkie would put her head over his shoulder has he stroked her neck whispering to her.

Havildar Turin reported to him the next morning has summoned before joining his unit. David had a request of him. He told him the next fifty rifles were due soon and he needed to start considering who would make up the next unit. He had his own idea of who should lead it, but respected Turpin's judgment.

Turpin said he would give it some thought and report back to him.

He watched has the men lead their horses from the horse line out onto the parade ground before mounting and Taraq and Petra lead them out of the Fort.

He crossed to where Havildar Major Para was overseeing a group emptying out a room built into the wall at the bottom end of the Fort, when he saw David he saluted "For the blacksmith Colonel Sahib" David smiled and told him he would be at the paddocks if required.

He carried his saddle and the blanket has he led them to the small paddock. Once inside he gave them an apple and caressed each of them in turn talking to them in a calm voice.

He started with the blanket with Sulkie.

Placing it on her back while talking to her. She swung her head around to see what it was, but remained calm, he took her halter and led her around the paddock twice, and then stood in front of her stroking her head while she muzzled his face.

Next he gently placed the saddle on her back, she took half a step sideways and he felt a slight tremble in her body.

He went to her head again soothing her "It's all right darling I won't let anything hurt you" he whispered in her ears. He stood like that caressing her while talking to her for over ten minutes, until she has settled down.

Finally he fastened the girth strap, but not too tightly, she had her head turned to watch him but he kept his face turned to her talking gently while he did it.

He stood away and watched he reactions she swung her head from side to side has if to see what was on her back, when he called to her she trotted over to him and took the apple he offered.

Kahn in the other paddock snorted at not getting one. He left the saddle on her all that day, only removing it when they returned to the stable in the evening.

The next morning he saddled Sulkie outside her stall while Kahn watched, she made no fuss has he did so, happily chewing her apple. He led them round to the paddocks putting them in their separate ones carrying the rest of the tack.

He stood in front of her talking softly to her has he removed the rope halter she had come from the city in. Then slowly lowered the leather bridal over her head. She didn't fight the bit when he put it in her mouth merely shook her head a few times has he adjusted the straps, once he was satisfied he stepped back to see her reaction. She trotted around the paddock and shook her head a few times but apart from that was quite happy. He left them and returned to the Fort, deciding to return later to fit the remaining tack.

He saw a detail mucking out the horse lines, wheel barrowing the soiled straw out to the rear off the Fort. He remembered, Hanga had said the cooks were starting a vegetable garden with the horse manure.

Back in his office he watched has Havildar Turin's detail rode in. they unsaddled, then rubbed their mounts down with straw, then watered and fed them, before going for their meal.

He was in his office going over the muster book when Havildar Turin reported to him.

"Colonel Sahib I have been giving your question a great deal of thought. And it is my opinion that Naik Sultar would be the best to lead the next section. But, has you allowed me, he should suggest the men he would have to command"

After thanking him and dismissing him, David sat back in his chair.

Naik Sultar he knew from the records was twenty-six years old, quite young for his rank. He had joined the Princes Army has a seventeen year old recruit straight from Nepal. The fact that Havildar Major Para had promoted him over older men spoke highly of his capabilities.

He checked the range scores book; he was in the top ten for marksmanship.

He called out to the guard outside his door and asked him to finds Naik Sultar.

Most of the recruits who had served in the British Army could speak English to varying degrees, and had been teaching those who couldn't. Naik Sultar was one such who had, had to learn.

The guard announced the he was outside and David told him to enter.

Naik Sultar came to a halt and gave a sharp salute, David answered it and told him to stand easy.

He began to explain that another fifty-man unit like Tiger unit was to be formed, and he had been selected to lead it. David saw his eyes gleam at this. He went on to say that Sultar would need two Naik's, and four, Lance Naik's for the unit. What he required was a list of those Sultar would wish to be in it from the men available in the Fort. You are free to suggest any one for the ranks of Naik or Lance Naik, you are promoted to the rank off Havildar off has this moment.

David added that there was no immediate rush for the list, but he would like to have it in ten days' time. Adding this unit would be called Cobra Company.

After he had gone David realised that he would soon need the next string of horses for the new unit, and made a note to himself to speak to Taraq about it.

Has he left to return to the paddock he noticed a large wagon drawn by two mules down at the end of the fort, a detail under the Havildar Major were helping to unload it.

The blacksmith had arrived.

He had no problems fixing the reins to Sulkie, although she thought she was going to get an apple "sorry darling but you must wait until this evening" he murmured patting her neck. He tied the reins to the pommel of the saddle.

He sat on the top rail of the paddock to watch her. At one stage she moved over to the dividing rail and put her head over it, Kahn came up to her and sniffed her head. David chuckled just like a woman showing off her new jewellery.

He returned them to the stables earlier that evening; Hanga had mucked out there stalls and laid new straw for them. Kahn watched has he removed the saddle had halter sniffing it when he placed it between their stalls. He spent two hours brushing them until their coats gleamed, and then rewarded them with their evening apples.

When he turned around he found Taraq watching him with a smile on his face.

"The Colonel Sahib has lovers now" he murmured, "My father will be most pleased."

David asked him if he knew their bloodline.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers