The Vetting Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JayDavid
JayDavid
653 Followers

"So you want me to talk to Gage?"

"Yes. Explain to him that I am not my father, and that we are not those people. And whatever else you need to say to get him to stay. Because without him, it probably isn't worth doing the deal."

"O.K."

"Good answer."

"And I assume that this is time sensitive?"

"You assume correctly, my friend."

"Then, my friend, I will do my best."

"Justin, I need you to succeed."

"Got it." She hung up.

Long story short, I left a message for Gage, and he called me back a day later. I gave him the full story, leaving out my occasional sexual relationship with Anna Marie, and convinced him to at least give it a chance. So, he stayed with the company, the deal went through, Anna Marie was happy, and you know how it worked out for Gage.

And a few weeks later, on a Friday night, I was surprised by Anna Marie, at my apartment, for a weekend in which we barely ever left my bedroom.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Another couple of years passed, and I gradually learned our business and its complexities. I started to be able to guess what my father would do before he did it most of the time, and occasionally, when I was "wrong," Dad actually liked my idea better. I was becoming more comfortable knowing that I was going to take over for him down the road, and he showed no signs of slowing down, which was great, because as you know, he was a great guy.

This time, random went by the name of "deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism." Dad was flying from the home office to one of our facilities in Arizona, and keeled over somewhere over Texas. The plane landed as quickly as possible, but by the time he got to the hospital it was too late. In fact, from what the doctors said, it was probably too late even before they landed.

Obviously, I was devastated, and mom visibly aged a decade overnight. After we got over the initial shock, and the funeral, where I thought I saw Anna Marie standing in the back, Mom, who now owned all of the company, except for the 20% they had given me when I moved into the home office, made it clear that she wanted me to step into Dad's shoes. I told her I wasn't ready, and that we should hire a professional, or promote Cal Severen, our COO, until I was. But she told me that Dad had the same reaction when grandpa died, and he did fine. I pointed out that Dad had her to lean on, and I didn't have anyone like that. Mom gave me an odd look and said, "First of all, you have me. I'm still here, and I'm sure as hell going to protect your father's legacy. And second, if you don't have someone, then maybe you need to figure out why, and fix that."

Mom's words rang in my ears for days, even as I threw myself into the job. I had meetings stacked up upon conference calls, interrupted by videoconferences. I flew halfway around the world and back—making sure to do exercises designed to prevent what happened to Dad, although I suspected that I was fighting the last war. And, after a few months of insanity, things seemed to be getting back to a semblance of normal. When it did, I kept hearing Mom's advice.

I realized that after all these years, and other women, when I was alone in bed at night, or dozing on a plane, and the inevitable thought of female companionship entered my brain, there was only one face, one body, one smell and one mind that I craved. I was clearly getting to the point where it was time to put up or shut up. And yet, for once, I realized that I had to out strategize the master strategist. I knew that if I came on too strong, too directly, that it was likely to cause her to resist. That she was happiest when she was in control, and I had to make her think that she was. I knew that if I could pull it off, I would get what I wanted and what I probably needed. And that if I didn't, it was time to move on, find an acceptable substitute, get married and give Mom the grandchildren that she deserved, and hopefully my successor.

It is a little embarrassing to say that I used my father's death in my plan, but a man has to do what a man has to do. I called Anna Marie, and when she called me back the next day, she said, "Justin—I'm so sorry. I had so much respect for your father."

"Thanks. Did I see you at the funeral?"

"Yes, I wanted to pay my respects, but didn't want to intrude."

"You should have. I would have liked to have seen you, and Mom would have appreciated it."

"I'm sorry. I guess you are right. Anyway, how are you doing?"

"Now, I'm better. The top job is a bitch, but it is ultimately fun."

She laughed her throaty laugh. "I could have told you that, my friend, but I'm sorry you had to find out this way."

"I know. Look, I need a favor." I knew that she would have a hard time saying "no" if I asked her that way.

"Anything. You know that."

"I appreciate it. I need you to spend the weekend with me. Someplace warm and private."

That laugh again, which turned my insides into jelly. "That's the favor?"

And then I went for it. All the violins playing. "Yeah. Look, I've been working constantly since Dad died trying to make sure I don't fuck things up, and I think I have things on an even keel, more or less. Mom suggested that I take a weekend and recharge, and I thought that we could talk. You're one of the few people I can really talk to about my Dad and all that." No, I wasn't proud.

I could hear a bit of a twinkle in her voice. "Talk? You want to fly someplace warm for the weekend and just talk? We can talk anywhere."

I knew she was busting my chops. Pausing for effect, I said, "Well, I guess there are other things to do than talk."

"In that case, I'm in. Let me clear my calendar. And if you want, we can use our place in the Bahamas."

A couple of days later, I was on her corporate jet, flying to their "place in the Bahamas," a small private island with a huge complex of bungalows, pools and a 9 hole golf course. We stayed in the main house. We got some of the talking out of the way pretty quickly, before christening the bedroom, another bedroom, the private beach and the pool, all while drinking incredible wine and eating food prepared by a staff of apparently invisible chefs, served and cleaned up by a virtually invisible crew.

The morning of our second day, I was going to start trying to move the conversation in the direction I wanted, when there was a surprising knock on the bedroom door. A young uniformed staffer entered. "Miss Raspoli, I'm terribly sorry, but there may be a problem," he stated seriously, but with a typical island lilt.

"What is it Terrence?" Anna Marie asked, concerned.

"Hurricane Bentley," he said.

"But Alistair said that it was going to head away from the island."

He shook his head. "It seems that the forecast has changed."

"Can we get the jet back here right away, so we can get out before it hits?" she asked.

"Sorry, ma'am. I looked into that, but it is booked for the San Diego meeting. It would be available to take you home as scheduled, but it looks like the weather won't permit it."

"What about renting another plane?"

"I looked into that, too, and I can't find anything."

Anna Marie shot him that look, and I could see the fear in his eyes and hear the tremor in his voice. "Really, Ms. Raspoli, I tried everywhere, but the hurricane..." His voice trailed off.

"We're safe here, right?"

"Of course, ma'am. We have the generators and plenty of gasoline, enough food stored away for a month and, if necessary, we have the bunker."

She looked at me. "Are you O.K. staying for a few extra days, even if they are going to be a bit wet and windy?"

"With you? Of course."

"Good answer, Justin." She turned to Terrence. "Thank you, and good work, Terrence. Make the appropriate preparations."

I grabbed my phone and sent off a few emails and texts, and settled back into bed. Anna Marie had some other ideas, and we stayed together, enjoying each other, for a few hours.

Later that day, we were sitting, naked except for our robes, on the terrace, drinking wine and watching the clouds moving in over the choppy ocean.

"I could get used to this," I said.

"Being stranded in a hurricane?"

"Being stranded with you."

She smiled. "Good answer."

"I know." I was silent, waiting for her reaction.

"This is nice. I've always been able to be comfortable with you." It seemed like maybe I'd gotten the hook in, but I needed to be careful, or she would wriggle free.

"Me too. Even after all this time, we're always there for each other."

The wind started to pick up, and I could feel rain begin to splash my face. Anna Marie stood up, and I admired her tanned and strong legs. "We probably should go in." She reached for my hand, and I took it, and continued to hold it as we went back into the house. Somehow, the table was set for a late night snack, and we had a bite, then moved to the big couch in the screening room to watch a movie. During which we made out like teenagers in a drive-in.

At about 2 a.m., as we were recovering from what seemed to me to be more lovemaking than just sex, we could hear the wind howling and the rain pounding the roof and windows. Anna Marie turned on her side, brushed her hair out of her face and said, "What you were saying before?" There was enough ambient light in the room that I could sort of make out her face.

I thought I knew what she was referring to, but I needed to play dumb. "What thing?"

"About how we have always been there for each other."

"Yeah, it's true."

"It is." She paused, took a breath and said, "I'm tired of being alone. This feels right, Justin. We should make this a permanent thing. It makes sense."

I hoped she didn't see the dumb grin on my face. I tried to hold it together, and responded. "As usual, you are right. I agree."

"Good answer, Justin," and she proceeded to reward me in a very pleasurable way.

When I woke the next morning, the hurricane was still raging outside, and I could hear Anna Marie on her phone from the other room. We might be a couple, whatever that would mean, but business was business. She returned, naked and stunning, and put her phone down.

"Everything O.K.?" I asked.

"Apparently so, and I'm a little worried that they don't miss me."

"Trust me, they do. Whether they know it or not."

She smiled. "What I said before? About making this a permanent thing?"

"Yes?"

"You don't have to if you don't want to. I mean, springing that on you in bed isn't fair."

I smiled. "Since when are you worried about 'fair' when you want something?" I smiled again, defusing what looked like it was going to be an angry look. "No, I'm in. I'm really glad that you suggested it."

"You set me up."

I couldn't read her face. What I said next might actually determine the future course of my life. I decided to jump in, head first. "You're right."

"I knew it."

"I'm sure you did," I said, although I wasn't really sure, but I knew she needed to tell me that. And it was fine. One thing my dad taught me is that the process isn't always as important as the result, and I was quite pleased with the result.

"Then we are agreed. We are a couple," she said, as if no opposition would be permitted.

"Exclusive," I added. She nodded. "And we figure out how to see each other more than every few years."

"Of course. I can't be celibate for that long." She paused. "And I actually miss you when we aren't together."

You can probably guess what happened next, at least in general terms, because I suspect the specifics would stump you.

After breakfast, I checked in at the office, and everything was under control. I had them email me some things that I really didn't care all that much about, just so they would think that I was paying close attention, then called my mother and told her what had happened. She was pleased, more than pleased actually, and berated me gently for not doing this years before. When she asked about marriage, I told her that I wasn't going to push my luck right now, and that baby steps were needed.

Somehow, we both spent an hour or so working, listening to the rain and the wind, which definitely appeared to be winding down. I was going through my emails, and I was reminded of a little problem I was having dealing with a production bottleneck, and sort of tossed out the problem, in hypothetical, to Anna Marie. She thought for a few seconds, then suggested an elegant, if somewhat out of the box solution, which I immediately emailed back to the point guy on the issue. I was surprised, a few minutes later, when she asked for my advice on a dicey personnel issue, and it sounded like she liked my ideas.

That evening, Terrence returned and told us that the jet would be able to arrive the following evening to take us home. On the one hand, I was happy that I could get back to my work and the company, but on the other hand, I didn't want to leave our little paradise together. We had just finished watching yet another movie and were getting ready to go to bed, when Anna Marie said, "You know something amazing? Considering the businesses that we are in, I don't think we actually compete in any sector."

I thought for a few seconds and nodded. "In fact, I think one of my divisions supplies raw materials for your Drigex subsidiary."

She nodded, "and my StafSenz agency staffs a number of your Midwestern facilities."

It was true. We thought of a few other similar situations and realized that her conglomerate was bigger and more diverse than my company, but we never were opposed, and actually cooperated. I looked at her, and I could see the wheels spinning behind her beautiful face, and mine started to whir a bit.

"Anna Marie, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I usually know what you are thinking."

That was true. "But does it make sense?"

"In a business or personal sense?"

"Both."

She looked at me with her half smile. "Business-wise, I think it might. But personally it might be a problem."

"Not if we don't let it."

"Good answer. Call your mother."

After explaining the situation to my mother, and answering a number of pointed questions, she asked me the key one. "Do you think that you and Anna Marie are committed to each other?"

"Mom, I think so, but it is so new."

"Understood, but what does your gut say?"

"My gut says that as far as I'm concerned, I'd do anything to keep us together."

"What about children?"

"We haven't discussed that, but I know that she loves family."

"To be crass, Justin, presumably, if you have children, the two entities will ultimately end up with common ownership."

"Good point. Look, let's let the lawyers and bankers look at it, and see what happens. I figure that this will either draw Anna Marie and me together, or demonstrate that we aren't meant to be."

"Makes sense. Just remember that this company is your family legacy."

"I know, and I won't let anything happen to it."

"I trust you, son. You know that. I'll make the calls—you enjoy the end of your vacation."

"Thanks, Mom. Love you."

"Love you too. Say hi to Anna Marie. Bye."

We spent the next day alternating between sex and talking with our advisors, and that continued while we flew home.

It took a couple of difficult months until we came up with an appropriate structure for the deal that made economic sense, and protected my family. My mother cashed out, leaving her with lots of money. On a day-to-day basis, not much changed for me, at the start. I continued to run my part of the enterprise and Anna Marie ran hers, and we spoke regularly about ways to increase our synergy until we were able to let our employees take over the heavy lifting. And we made sure to see each other regularly, and if anything, our passion for each other seemed to increase.

Six months into the combination, I was in Anna Marie's apartment, and we were eating dinner. Before dessert, she said, "Justin, I've cleared the first weekend in October with my family. We can get married then."

I was surprised that she brought it up, but not that she did so as a fait accompli. But there was no reason to fight what I wanted. "Of course," I said, smiling. "And I assume that you've started to make the arrangements."

"Of course." She showed me that same half smile that I remembered from her recruitment of me back in college.

"You'll let my mother be involved?" I asked.

"I've already spoken to her."

"I figured as much."

She told me exactly when and where the ceremony and reception would be, and while some men might have been a bit miffed about being left out of the decision making process, her decisions were, as usual, right on point, and left me with nothing to criticize. I'm sure you've read the articles about the wedding—it was quite an event, and everyone had a great time. The honeymoon in Italy was equally wonderful, for many, many reasons, not the least of which was the conception of our son and the chance to meet Anna Marie's relatives who never moved to America, or had moved back.

Afterwards, I began to spend more and more time with Anna Marie, whose pregnancy went smoothly, and barely kept her away from her corporate responsibilities, although she did work more from home. I couldn't justify closing my headquarters just to be near her and our son, so I essentially commuted back and forth. I have to admit having access to our own planes definitely made it easier than it could have been. But our combined company continued to thrive, even beyond our initial projections.

So, when Anna Marie got the call suggesting that she might be considered for the ambassadorship, it was a bit of a shock. The position opened, as you know, when a random traffic stop found her predecessor under the influence and in possession of a fairly hefty amount of cocaine. I know that there were intense discussions about her family's past, and I know that the President made it clear that he saw Anna Marie as an example of overcoming the negatives and turning them into positives. And of course, he recognized her intellect and her ability to get what she wanted. I assume that you are aware that the President and Anna Marie were friends when she was in business school and he was in law school. I've never asked her what the extent of her friendship was, but as you know, "friend" is an important concept to her. I suspect that there is some juiciness there, and you will find out, if you haven't already.

So, we moved to Italy, and left our companies to our trusted lieutenants, because, as I soon found, the spouse of the ambassador works damn hard, but not as hard as the ambassador. I do enjoy the life here, and I know that Anna Marie loves the fact that our son is learning Italian.

She was shocked, as I was, when we heard about the Vice President's skiing accident. It was terrible, I mean I only met him once, and he seemed like a good guy, and politically, we were on his side. It looked like he would succeed the President, so this must really be a mess. Anna Marie said that the President doesn't want to give any of the potential candidates a leg up by making them Vice President, and that she is in the running because she has no political ambitions, wants to do the right thing for the country and would bring, he said, a refreshing perspective. All of which I agree with, and not just because I've been in love with her for years.

If you ask me, and I think you sort of are asking, she would do an incredible job. She is brilliant, tough, sophisticated and fearless. I mean, after standing up to her father, and his associates the way she did, I can't imagine that there are many Senators or world leaders who would intimidate her. And I certainly would be proud to be the Second Gentleman. No doubt.

JayDavid
JayDavid
653 Followers