They Walk Among Us Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
boneams
boneams
739 Followers

"Anyone ever tell you that you're real ass sometimes Dvorska?" Adam asked, as he tossed the mutilated can in the trash.

In an instant, Kevin changed back to human form and was in torn gym clothes, rolling on the floor, laughing his ass off loudly. Kristine joined him, and in just a short time, both of their sides were in pain.

"Ok you two that's enough."

"Oh sweetheart, I wish I could have taken a picture of your face just then," Kristine said as she wiped some tears out of her eyes.

"Sorry Adam – oh damn that was fun – she put me up to it, but don't worry I got her too."

"Yeah, well from now on there's a new rule. No changing into a werewolf in the house."

"Oh come on Adam. It feels good to let it out once in awhile. I mean I finally have someone I can share the secret with."

"Why don't you go out and find your true love stupid? Don't tell me you're still fucked up over Martina, that's ancient history buddy."

"Ok Adam, Kevin's heard that speech before. He'll get over it when he's ready," Kristine told him, trying to reason with him.

Adam's buzzing pager interrupted their conversation and he pulled it off his belt to check it. When he saw that it was the duty office, he went over to Kristine's phone and dialed the duty office's number.

"Hey Kristine, mind if I grab a quick shower while I'm here?" Kevin asked as he picked up the backpack.

"No go ahead Kevin, there's a fresh towel in the linen closet just inside the door."

When the duty office finally answered the phone, Adam checked in to see who wanted him. Within a few moments, he was talking with his CO, Lieutenant Commander Neal Hawkins.

"Afternoon Neal, what can I do for you on such a fine Sunday?"

Adam was silent as Hawkins filled him in on the situation. Kristine sat patiently waiting for him to finish up, but from the look on her lover's face, it wasn't very good news. She only prayed it wasn't another mission.

"...no I understand Neal. No don't page him; it's my responsibility to tell him, I'm the Team Leader."

Adam hung up the phone and stared at it. "What is it Adam? What happened?" Kristine asked.

"I've got to give Kevin some bad news," Adam replied as he looked at Kristine with a concerned face.

"Should I leave you guys alone after he's done with the shower?"

"It would probably be easier for him to hear it with you in the room."

"How bad is the news?"

"Kevin's dad passed away last night," Adam said softly. He to felt a deep sorrow in his heart, Luka Dvorska saved his life that night in the cave.

"Oh my God Adam. I – I don't – I'm sorry honey. I know how you felt about him.

Kristine got up, wrapped her arms around Adam, and held him tightly as she wept softly into his shoulder. She too was in turmoil as she remembered the story Adam had told her about the fight with Viljem Kordic. Kevin's father was the one who delivered the crippling blow to the monster and allowed Adam and Kevin to get out safely.

They both sat down and waited in silence for Kevin to return. Kristine had a box of tissues in her lap as she continually wiped tears out of her reddening eyes. Adam on the other hand was as cold as ice and showed no emotion as he stared into space. It wasn't long before Kevin returned with fresh clothes on and a big smile. He was still enjoying the trick that he played on Adam and Kristine.

"Ok now I feel better. Adam I was thinking of going over to the Enlisted Club and watching the Ohio state..."

Kevin looked at Adam who was sitting across from Kristine. When he looked at the sobbing woman, he thought maybe they had a fight or something. She was visible shaken and Adam had that look of impending doom.

"Um – do you guys need me to leave you alone?"

Kristine shot off the couch and threw herself against Kevin, holding him tightly. She couldn't help but let the immense sorrow out as she sobbed loudly against his bulging chest. Kevin wrapped his arms around the distraught CIA Liaison. He looked over at Adam who just stared back.

"What's the matter Boss? You didn't turn her marriage proposal down did you?" Kevin had a smile on his face, trying to lighten the mood up.

"I've got bad news for you Kev and since I don't know how to tell you, I'm just going to say it. Your dad passed away yesterday Kevin."

The smile on Kevin's face quickly faded into a stone cold stare as the news sank in. It was only because of his strict training that he didn't fall apart in Kristine's squeezing arms. From the look on Adam's face, he could tell he was screaming inside along with him.

"I'll have Bob get you on the first civilian flight out to the states. Is there anything you need Kev, money or something?" Adam asked as he stood up and approached his point man.

"I got enough money Boss, but if you're girlfriend would let me go, I could use a beer."

"Oh God Kevin, I'm so sorry for you." Kristine looked at him with wet, red eyes as her lips trembled on the point of losing control again.

"I have to be realistic here Kristine. Everyone dies at some point in time, even werewolves. He had a good life, and a loving family, that's all we can ask out of life. I'm sure I'll lose it when I get home, but right now it won't do anyone any good."

"If you need anything, anything at all, all you have to do is ask me. You're like my family and I'll always be here for you Kevin," Kristine replied as she hugged him again.

The three of them talked for about an hour before Kevin decided to head for the barracks and pack his clothes for the trip home. Kristine and Adam dropped him off and he retreated to his room for a little private time. After he shut the door, he closed his eyes and pictured his father's werewolf form inside the cave at Predjama.

He had thanked his father numerous times, as did Adam Dawson. The risks that he took that night were far greater than anyone could have asked for. He knew it was a father protecting his son, but to allow Adam to see him as a werewolf was beyond reasonable. Kevin knew he had to keep busy or he would soon lose control and break down crying. He decided on packing because it was something to do, although a stiff drink would be something to do also.

He wasn't going to need much; he still had stuff in Texas that fit him so he just had one bag to worry about taking. He was about ready to call the duty office and contact Bob Holiday, when there was a knock on his door. He opened it, and found Adam Dawson with a plane ticket in his hand.

"If you're all packed buddy, Kristine and I are going to take you to the airport. We could only get a flight out this evening. You got a lay over at Heathrow and with a connecting flight in the morning to Dallas. Anyway, you'll figure it out; it's all in the itinerary."

"Thanks Adam. How much do I owe you for the ticket?"

"Not a dime, everyone in the team pitched in. There's a bunch left over incase you need a few drinks on the way home, civilian air can be boring at times."

Kevin felt the sorrow, along with the pride of being part of the SEALs, swelling up to a bursting point. "One more thing Kevin," Adam added

"For you, anything Boss," Kevin replied as his voice cracked with emotion.

"Give this to your dad for me, please."

He grabbed Kevin's hand and placed something in his palm. With teary eyes, he looked down and saw Lieutenant Adam Dawson's gold SEAL trident pin. The pin was something every SEAL held dear and wore with a great deal of pride. It was the symbol of a warrior. When Kevin looked back up at his Team Leader, he saw he was trying to hold it in.

"Your father saved my life. I can't think of a better tribute to a fellow warrior."

Kevin grabbed him, but couldn't hold the flood of emotion that flowed out of him back. He cried loudly as Adam Dawson joined him. SEAL or not, they were both still human beings and could only hold it together only so long. After a long release of emotion, they separated and wiped their wet faces off.

"We got some time to kill Shipmate, what say we find a bar and drink a toast to one hell of a brave man, Mr. Luka Dvorska."

"My thoughts exactly Adam and I wouldn't be surprised if he looked down and joined us."

"Come on, Kristine is waiting outside in the car. I'm pretty sure she could use one to."

Adam and Kevin left the room and headed outside. Kevin had been in the Navy for some time now, and he'd never experienced a tighter group of men. If one SEAL had a problem, then every SEAL in that team had the same problem. It was the true meaning of a Navy family.

Ten o'clock at night, London Heathrow Airport.

Kevin stepped over to the edge of the main corridor of the massive airport. He checked his ticket again and found the flight number of the connecting flight. It was a good thing that his lay over was lengthy, he was thinking he might never find the gate. He walked over to a large television screen and looked for the flight, once he found the gate it was at, he began the long walk around the terminal.

Thankfully, it was late, the airport didn't have a lot of scurrying passengers, and he was making good time. When Kevin passed a bar, he stopped and turned around. The flight didn't leave until the morning, and he had a lot of time to kill. A couple of drinks would do him good and maybe help him doze off for a few hours.

The place wasn't that big and the lighting was dim. At first he thought it wasn't open, other than the female bartender, he was the only one there. He walked up to the polished bar and sat down, the young woman behind it never noticed him. She was engrossed in a paperback novel. Kevin let out a deep sigh as he looked at the cover. It had a handsome vampire biting the neck of a young woman in a flowing white gown.

"Excuse me miss, are you open?"

The young woman jumped at the sound of his voice, causing her to drop her book and she quickly grabbed her chest in surprise. Kevin could now see her face. She had dark brown hair and blazing dark eyes. With her facial features and petite body, she looked almost fairy like. The only thing she was missing was a pair of wings.

"Bloody hell, you scared me half to death." Kevin instantly found her accent intriguing.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean any offense by it. I was on the way to my gate and wanted a drink. Are you still open?"

"Yes Sir, for a little while longer. What can I get for you?"

"Since I'm in London, I guess I better get a Guinness."

She walked over to the tap and began pouring the dark beer into a large glass. Kevin's eyes roamed over her body as he studied her. She had tone legs that extended out of the short black skirt she wore. It did nothing to hide the curvy shape of her backside. It complimented the bright pink blouse she wore. When he turned away he noticed another book lying on the back bar. That one had a picture of a howling werewolf and a large full moon. Kevin just shook his head.

"Why on earth do people read that crap? All the stories are the same. Someone gets bitten turns into a monster and kills everything in sight."

She returned with his drink and he took a long pull off the foamy ale. After setting the glass back down, he looked at her. She had a funny smile on her face as if something was amusing. He finally got the hint as she handed him a napkin.

"Thank you, it's my first Guinness. I guess I should learn the rules of drinking one."

"Only one rule love, enjoy it."

"I love your accent, it's very pretty," Kevin said as he took another drink.

"Thank you very much, I really like yours too."

"I don't have an accent, I'm from the states."

"Hate to break the news to you love, but you're in the UK. Americans have an accent here."

"You do have a point, my mistake."

The young woman noticed the paperback still lying on the floor behind the bar and picked it up. Strangely enough, she laid it on the bar next to her, and then sat back down on her little stool.

"So where are you headed to from here?"

"I'm on my way to Texas on family matters. I'm sorry again for startling you when I came in. You seemed to be engrossed in your book," he told her as he steered the conversation away from him.

"Oh yes indeed. I was right in the middle of a vampire fight scene. She's really a talented writer, she makes you feel like you're right there with them," she replied as she shuddered a bit.

"It seems you like reading about werewolves too. If you ask me, they're all the same, good guys turn into monsters or the undead and go around killing everyone."

"You do have a point, but what else are they supposed to do? Vampires don't have a soul so they can't find love. That would sure lead me to be upset," she said with a little laugh.

She suddenly got a quizzical look on her face, pulled out a white tablet, and jotted a few notes down. When she was finished, she placed it beneath the bar again and looked at Kevin.

"Would you like to watch a little telly? I think there might be American football on."

"No thanks. So what were you writing down just now?"

Kevin took a long drink and he could see her face, she was blushing brightly. He didn't understand why, but he knew it had to do with her note pad. When he sat his ale down, he politely wiped his lips and stared at the young woman.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you, I was just curious."

"Well, it's a hobby of mine. Sometimes an idea pops into my head and I have to write it down so I don't forget," she told him with a hint of shyness.

"Oh so you're a writer or something."

"Not really, I write a little bit but it's just for me. On my days off, I don't really have anything to do so I write little stories. They're not very good; I can't get the hang of killing and killing scenes with nothing else, not even love."

"Why don't you give him or her someone to love? Just because everyone else makes their vampires and werewolves demons, doesn't mean you have to.

God, I can't believe I'm at the airport talking about vampires and werewolves."

"What like give him a soul? Find true love and live happily ever after? Bloody hell, no one will want to read that."

"Yeah, who the hell would want to find true love anyway," Kevin said softly and then finished his drink.

"Pardon me love, did you say something?"

"Um – no I was just thinking aloud. If you wouldn't mind, can you pour me a shot of that Crown Royal please?

"Mind if I join you?"

"By all means, I hate to do shots alone."

She poured two healthy amounts of the golden scotch whiskey. After placing one of them in front of Kevin, she picked up the other and held it out. With a smile, Kevin picked his up and tapped her shot glass.

"Cheers."

"God save the Queen."

After quickly downing the burning alcohol, they slammed the glasses down on the bar. Suddenly her expression changed as she stared at the young American. Kevin had seen that look before.

"Um – I close up in about fifteen minutes. I was wondering if you'd like to go somewhere and chat. I like your thoughts on monsters."

An image of Martina's smiling face flashed in his mind and the anguish rose within him.

"I do appreciate the offer but I think I'll just head to my gate and crash for a few hours," he replied as he placed the money for the drinks and a generous tip on the bar.

"Good luck with your writing, I'll be looking out for a book." Kevin turned and walked out, but before leaving, he turned around and looked at her as she jotted notes down.

"Something to think about, some monsters use their gift to help people, not hurt them."

"That's a great saying, mind if I use that?"

"Only if you give me your name."

"Oh, it's Jaz – Jaz Cullen."

"Have a nice evening Miss Cullen." She never heard the last comment as she wrote feverishly on the note pad.

Inside a large Victorian home on the outskirts of Obertilliach, Austria. Two hours north of Aviano.

"...so that's how I think we can accomplish everything we need to do," Lorna said as she pushed the Intel folder towards Martina.

"It sounds like its feasible, but I can vouch for the ability of the SEALs. After what happened last time, they won't be easily deceived Lorna."

"Trust me Mother, I've been studying Father's tactics for years now. I know what I'm doing, besides, what man can resist a young tempting thing like me?"

"If they ever catch on that you're my daughter, you'll never make it out alive. I still think we should find someone else to help us."

Martina and Lorna heard the lock on the front door and turned to see the two brown haired men enter. One of them tossed his keys to a black sedan on the table while the other went to the kitchen. As he sat down, Franz Wilhelm looked at his employer, Lorna Kordic.

At thirty-five, he was in excellent shape. His slight build and bright blue eyes could easily have mistaken him for a quiet and shy man, but he was far from it. He was a highly trained mercenary who found a sadistic thrill in taking a human life slowly. The reason Lorna chose him for this endeavor was because he reminder her so much of her father.

"Did you get the papers I asked for?" Lorna asked Franz.

"Yes, here's everything you'll need for access." Franz pulled a thick stack of documents out of his jacket pocket and handed it her. As she went through the papers, she got a puzzled look on her face.

"That's the best name you could come up with? It makes me sound like a dumb blond."

"You didn't give me any instructions on that, so I had to come up with something. Besides, if you're going to be around Americans, you should have an American name."

"What about the base, were you able to penetrate their security? Did you find him there?"

"You were right about Dawson, he was at her house. We got lucky and found Dvorska, he went to visit them earlier this afternoon. We aren't going to have a chance to get to him though, he went..."

Martina quickly interrupted him. "I don't want him killed yet Damn it! I want the freak to suffer. I want him to lose everything and everybody. I want him to hurt so badly, he'll want to take his own life God damn it!" Martina was red with anger at the thought of him dying quickly.

Franz stared at the fuming woman. Lorna's mother or not, he was not about to tolerate being dressed down by a women he helped rescue.

"I'm getting paid to do a job Martina. So if you don't mind – let me do it."

"Franz calm down. My mother just wants this to be perfect, and besides we need her. She knows the inner workings of Dawson's team, and they're going to be difficult to deal with."

The other mercenary, Rudolf Berks, entered the living room and handed Franz a cold beer. "I wouldn't put too much faith in these – SEALs – Lorna. They have rules, and from what I can tell, very predictable."

"A piece of advice Rudolf, don't underestimate Kevin Dvorska. He can be very dangerous when upset. That is how we are going to be able to defeat him. Trust me, I've seen it and I know just how to push his buttons," Martina said.

"And how do you propose we – push – his buttons Martina?"

Martina had an evil smile forming on her face as she went over the plan in her head.

"We're going to turn his life upside down."

CIA Station Chief's office, Berlin Germany.

James Russell sat at his Desk and glared at his best operative. He couldn't believe the utter lack of achievement in recovering one woman.

"You can't be serious Allen. It's been two weeks and all you have for me is she might be in Bosnia."

"Well Sir, we've checked every source we have and came up empty. The only safe place for her would be Bosnia. Her husband was the head of the Secret Police, they're probably hiding her because we can't' get in there now. I think if we ask Kristine Duka up in Aviano she might be able to get the teams to help."

boneams
boneams
739 Followers