Until Tomorrow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As I came back to the here and now, Shannon was lying on top of me, kissing my lips. Taking her face in my hands I looked into her eyes whispering, "I love you so much." We kissed again, this time full of passion and love for one another. We both laid there, entwined in each other's arms and legs, when suddenly Shannon sat up, "Kayla, the last thing I ever expected today, or any day for that matter was my beautiful woman walking into my apartment nearly naked. I don't think I could ever top that, but tell me, what brought all this on?"

"Tell you what, let me go and pee, and while you fix us something to eat because I am starving to death, I will tell you the whole story, Deal?"

"Deal, but I get to pee first, I got to go so bad." Jumping up from the bed and ran to the bathroom. While she was in the bathroom, I pulled out a nightshirt from my bag and began to slip it on as Shannon exited the bathroom. I could almost see the look of disappointment on her face seeing me standing there with a shirt covering up my body.

"Don't worry, you'll get to see my tits and pussy for as long as you want me to be with you, and I hope it's going to be forever.

Walking up to me, putting her arms around my neck, "Let's make that forever and a day, just to make sure."

After giving me a kiss on the lips, she also put on her shorty robe and headed to the kitchen area, as I sat down at the table and began to tell my story about John being served, and how I wanted someone with a little influence at the complex to change the locks on my doors and allow no one entry unless I was there. I also explained how I had put the phone on call forward to my cell, and no matter what was going on, I had to answer it, letting anyone think I was not out, but at home.

Shannon had fixed us a plate of left over spaghetti and sauce with a bottle of red wine, which I thought was very good.

While sitting at the table, sipping my wine, I pondered over a question I wanted to ask Shannon, but before I could find a way of asking her, I heard her almost shout, "Kayla!"

"What? I'm right here."

"No you weren't, I called your name several times, your body is here, but your mind is God knows where."

"There is something I want to say, and something I want to ask, and I'm not sure how to put either of them to you."

"Just tell me, or ask me and we'll work through it together, ok?"

"Shannon, it's been hell the past few days, not seeing you and worse, not holding or kissing you. Your apartment is so much smaller, but if you stayed with me in mine, if the phone rings, you're going to have to dress and run in seconds. I just feel so confused."

"Kayla, it won't last forever, why don't you just move in with me. Keep your phone on call forwarding. That way you would not have to worry about any extra items of clothing left lying around. Even if you went back to your apartment in only a robe, nothing would look out of place."

"You sure about this, I mean with me kind of moving in with you, taking up what little space you do have left?"

"Yes, I am very sure. Every couple of days or so, you can always go to your apartment and check on everything, switch out some clothing if needed. Leave the bed unmade should it ever need to look like you were sleeping."

"Let's clean up and turn in, I want to hold and cuddle with you the rest of the night."

"Deal girl, you go and use the bathroom while I start picking up, then we'll switch, getting to bed faster to feel your arms and legs wrapped around me all night."

It didn't take too long to clean up and for each of us to brush our teeth before jumping into bed. Before turning out the lights, I saw Shannon setting the alarm clock to an earlier time, allowing me to go back to my apartment and get ready for work.

Four days later, I had received a call from John, saying he would be back in town by the following Wednesday and if he could stop by and pick up a change of clothes, then return and get the rest of his belongings on Saturday. I agreed that he could pick up a few items on Wednesday at six PM, and to be here by ten AM on Saturday for the rest of his belongings.

No matter what he had told me on the phone, Shannon and I kept up our sleeping arrangement, staying on the safe side.

John had finally come back to town, and by Saturday noon removed all his belongings from the apartment. He had by now hired his own divorce attorney, and we were all supposed to meet at Kathrine's office in two weeks. I suppose you might say that this is where the shit hits the fan and I come up smelling like roses, or...

Sunday, I knew I now needed to go and face my parents about what is going on, before he told them and being seconded handed from their own daughter. I had told Shannon that I was going to tell my parents about the divorce. I could see a pained look on her face, knowing what I was about to do. I told her that I had no idea what time I would be back, but not to wait up for me, and I would come to her bed.

At first my mother was all up in arms about me getting the divorce, but when I told them of all the affairs he has been having and even dropping Wanda's name and how with his high security clearance, when it did finally come down, I really didn't want to be in the middle of it all. My father finally come to my rescue and told my mother that I was absolutely right in what I was doing and that they should stand behind me.

Time seemed to be dragging on. Shannon tried her best to keep my spirits up, but with so much on my mind, I was a nervous wreck. Melanie would come and sit with me in my office, letting me know she was there for me if needed.

Finally the day arrived that we were to have our meeting, both attorney's and John and myself. I barely had gotten any sleep the night before, and about an hour before I was supposed to leave; I was kneeling before the toilet, throwing up my guts. Shannon wanted to go with me, if anything for moral support, but I told her it was probably best she not be seen with me just yet.

In Kathrine's office, seated around her conference table was Kathrine beside me, Janice with the pictures and follow-up paper work, and June who was at the far end, take notes of the meeting. Across the table was of course John, and what I immediately thought as a real sleaze ball of an attorney. Thin faced with what you would call a pencil mustache. His skin was pale white, about the color of a sheet of paper, and with those brown eyes, looking like pits into an endless void. I soon learned that his name was Stanley Connors.

As the meeting got under way and everyone was introduced to one another, Mr. Connors slid a copy of his proposal across the table towards Kathrine saying that the terms of my proposal were unacceptable, and that many changes were to be made. I was going to have to pay John alimony, surrender the apartment to him, and of course pay for the entire divorce proceedings, due to my abandonment of the marriage.

I looked over at Kathrine, who sat straight, with a very passive look on her face. As far as I could see, she was showing absolutely no emotion at all. I crossed my fingers under the table, hoping that she really did have a plan or I was totally screwed.

I then saw a faint smile come to Kathrine's lips as she slid his proposal back across the table without even glancing at it.

"I'm sorry Mr. Conners, but our proposal is what will be signed by the judge. Let me tell you why and how all this is going to come down."

With a slight nod towards Janice, she stood, opened her folder and began laying out the pictures of John and with each of his affairs. Even though there were only a few women, Bobbie had taken a lot of pictures, which I also noticed that some of the women were the same, but wearing different clothes.

"As you can see, Mr. McBride has been keeping himself rather busy during his business trips. Here is the way it's going to go down. I have filled irreconcilable differences. Now in this filling, nothing else needs to be presented. If you choose to fight this, I will amend it to adultery, and we will use these pictures as proof."

At this point, John's jaw was very slack, and if it was an expression of shock, his attorney never had an idea this was coming.

"Mr. McBride, working for the defense department, you are under strict guidelines of conduct, and any court proceedings will be examined. When we enter these photos as evidence, of course the defense department and justice department will also be viewing these same photos. Do I need to elaborate any farther as to what will happen to you, saying nothing about your career? Trust me Mr. McBride, this might seem like a lot to you now, but it's not something you can't get through, while building your life up again and moving on."

Mr. Connors then spoke up; "May we have a few minutes to talk in privacy?

"Yes, of course." Kathrine said, "Ladies, let's let them have a few minutes alone."

Rising, I followed Kathrine and Janice out of the conference room with June close behind and into Kathrine's office. Once inside and the door closed, my knees finally almost gave out, and if it hadn't been for June catching me, I would have fallen. They all quickly helped me sit down. June went and got me some water to drink, with Kathrine kneeling beside my chair telling me to be strong just a little longer, that it's almost over and we just may get everything we wanted.

What seemed like forever, June came back into the office and announced that they were ready for us to return to continue the meeting.

As we walked back into the conference room, I noticed John's head kind of hanging in defeat. After we were all seated and June nodded to Kathrine that she was ready.

"Mr. Conners, have you come to a decision?

"Yes we have, but we do want some assurances about the photographs. We don't want them to appear at a later date in some form of blackmail or other type of coercion."

Mr. Conners, there are only three copies of the pictures, and all three are in this room now. Mrs. McBride hasn't even looked at them yet, nor does she actually have a copy of them. After signing off on this divorce, you also may walk out with all three copies. We are only here for the divorce, not to ruin anyone's life or career. Now, is there any other questions I may answer, or can we proceed with the signing?"

"No, I think you have satisfied our concerns." As he looked over at John, who gave a nod of his head that he was satisfied.

Within half an hour, we both had signed all the papers necessary, and after John and his attorney had left, I again collapsed in Kathrine's office chair and began to cry. I really wasn't crying because I was sad or anything, well, maybe a little... It's kind of hard to forget eight years of your life like nothing happened.

All the while I was crying, I kept babbling to Kathrine and Janice how thankful I was for their help and support, and I really was crying for joy and not sadness. Kathrine had said that she has seen this many times, and bought tissues by the case just to have on hand.

Collecting my copy of the signed divorce decree, I hurried out heading back to the apartments to tell Shannon that it was finally over and that we could be together. I knew I was very excited, so I just took my time so as not to get into an accident or anything. Instead of parking in my regular spot, I parked in front of the building, right next to the leasing office.

Rushing into the leasing office, I ran around Shannon's desk, waving the copy of the signed divorce papers while jumping into her arms.

"See, all the papers are signed and we got everything I had asked for." flipping through the pages showing her. I then dropped the papers onto her desk, taking her face in my hands and kissing her with all the passion I had inside of myself.

Suddenly her phone intercom came alive, "Ms Cook, someone here to see you."

"Be right back baby, I'll make this fast, no matter what it's about." Shannon turned and opened the door and walked out into the lobby.

I soon began to hear angry voices, which sounded like John's for a moment. Getting up from my chair, I walk out the door, to see John pulling a gun from inside of his jacket. As he raised the gun, I scream "No" and pushed Shannon to the side just as the gun went off.

I felt like what only can be described as being kicked by a mule in the chest. I was slammed back against the door frame, then slowly sliding down to the floor. I heard screams, and what sounded like two more gunshots and more screams.

I lay there, looking at the ceiling, my body numb with pain. From out of nowhere, Shannon's face appeared above mine. She was yelling at me, but it seemed as if time had slowed down to a crawl. Her lips were moving, but as I looked at her, I could not hear what she was saying.

Finally I suppose, my adrenaline started to slow down, and I began to hear Shannon calling my name, telling me to hang on, and not to die on her.

Looking up at her, "Shannon, are you ok, are you hurt?"

"No baby, I am just fine. You just lay back and relax; someone is on the way now to fix you up. Just don't you die on me, you hear me, I love you too much for you to leave me now."

"I love you too Shannon, I'll never leave you."

I soon heard sirens, and it seemed like I was surrounded by paramedics try to take care of my wound. I looked up, seeing Shannon standing there, tears falling from her eyes and she looked back at me. My blouse was ripped open and what felt like patches placed on my chest. I felt the stick of a needle in my arm, but then felt nothing after that.

As I was lying there, I began to feel the numbness returning. Everything seemed to be slowing down, but in a different way. I thought I heard someone say, "We're losing her, get the paddles." I looked at Shannon, her hand on her mouth, her other hand on her chest as she cried. At this point everything seemed to go black.

I felt nothing. The only sounds I heard was the slow beat of my heart and the blood rushing through my veins. My body seem as if it were slowly falling deeper and deeper into a dark pit. The sounds of my heart and blood rushing through my veins began to get softer. My heartbeat became slower and slower. I soon lost the sound of the blood in my veins, as my heart continued to slow down. The pain that racked my body began to lesson.

The deeper I fell into this pit, the colder I was becoming. It was a kind of cold that you didn't feel, but were a part of it. Suddenly I could no longer hear my heart beat. The coldness seemed to not only surround me, but emanated from within me. There was nothing, no sound, no feeling, if it were possible, I was looking all around for the white light everyone kept saying was always there when someone died. Yet I saw nothing.

As I existed where I was, I felt a peace never felt before. I began to think of my life, my family. The good and the bad things I might have done throughout my life. I thought, "Is this all that there is! How could we be promised so much to receive so little?"

I then though of Shannon, her hand on her heart as the tears were falling from her eyes. The words I said to her. "I love you and I'll never leave you." Looking into my soul, I really did love this woman with every fiber of myself. This might be hell, this might be heaven, but I wasn't done yet, I am going to live and love someone with all my heart.

As if by an unknown reason, I felt as if I was rising from within the depths of this pit, going upward higher and higher. Suddenly I felt a renewed strength return to my body. Where before I merely walked the earth, today I have journeyed from there and back. Higher and higher I climbed out of my pit, soon I saw the light, getting brighter and brighter.

I soon began to hear the steady hum of machines. A constant beeping close to my head. I felt a hand holding mine, and soft words being whispered of being together and doing crazy things. I knew I kept my promise and to never leave my true love. We will have all the tomorrows to what today was missed.

Squeezing the hand that was holding my mine caused a sharp gasp, then some yelling, "Nurse, Nurse... she just squeezed my hand."

"Oh baby, you've come back to me. I love you so much."

As I lay there, slowly prying my eyes open I saw what looked like three or four people rushing into the room. A man with funny looking glasses on leaned over me, asking if I could hear him. I tried to answer, but he said that they had a breathing tube down my throat, and not to talk, but just to nod. I nodded my head that I understood. He said that after they check out my vitals, they were going to remove the tube from my throat and to have a little more patience. I nodded again that I understood.

After the Doctor pulled the tube from my throat, he said that it might be a little sore for a day or so, but then it would be just fine. He also said the nurse was going to make sure I had those little sponge popsicles to suck on to keep my throat moist, and not to drink too much too soon. The Doctor told me that I was truly a very lucky woman. The bullet just grazed my heart but did not do any serious damage to it.

Every time I would wake up, Shannon was sitting there beside the bed, sometimes asleep, sometimes reading a book. I asked her if she ever went home, she just laughed and said I was more important.

As the days passed and I got stronger, I learned that after John had shot me, an off duty policeman was in the lobby at the same time, and shot John and killed him before he could hurt anyone else. His main target was not me, but Shannon for stealing me away from him. My parents confronted Shannon one day, because she was always here. She told them that she loved me with all her heart, and as far as she knew I love her just as much. She said that they stormed out of the room, but returned the next day, and it seemed like they accepted the fact that we loved each other.

Kathrine came in one day and said that even though the divorce papers were signed and all, but they were not filled when John died, which would still make me his wife, and entitled me to everything. I thanked her for the information, and promised that once I was well enough to leave the hospital, my promise for a dinner date for the four of us was still on.

After about six months I was back at my desk, making reservations for people wanting to get away, if not for a weekend, then for an extended period of time to relax and reflect on their lives. Shannon was promoted to Director of Leasing, and given a big raise. We also moved in together into our own apartment. We moved into a penthouse suit on the twelve floor. It seems Director of Leasing does have its perks.

I told Shannon that when she can get a little time off, I would like for us to take a trip. She had asked me where, and I just said my surprise.

Truth be known, I've been talking to Shannon's parents. I bought us both a ring, and I wanted to take her home to Gadsden, and once there I wanted to have a civil ceremony and marry each other making her my wife with her parents and hopefully mine also. So far they halfway consented, but I still have time to convince them to attend.

The End.

Into the light I flew...
Now I fly like the wind...
Soaring and swooping with ease...
Faster and faster I fly...
With joy that knows no bounds!
Looking over my shoulder...
See my silhouetted against the sun
I am an eagle... I am an eagle...
I am free...