W.A.R.S. Tournament Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AAAWRITER
AAAWRITER
15 Followers

“Was it our boy?” a voice asked.

“Not sure. Everything was burnt black. The idiot might have blown himself up. There was only one body at any rate,” a second man replied.

“Yeah it was a mess. Look at it, just a black hole now,” a third man added.

“Why don’t we deactivate these damn chips and see if this thing is over. There may not be anybody left alive in here but us. How would we know if we don’t deactivate?” a fourth voice chimed in.

“Not yet. Daniels makes that decision,” the first voice answered.

“Where is he anyway?” one asked.

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen him since this thing got rolling. We were crazy to do this,” another said.

“You’re getting’ paid so just shut up,” the first told them.

“Not enough to get killed. Fifty thousand is not enough for this,” one of the others said.

Max had thoughts of reenacting his burning box routine but if he didn’t get them all they would know exactly where he was. Before he could decide the two-way radio sounded. Max couldn’t make out what was said.

“Yeah, Daniels where the hell are you? We’re waiting for you,” the first voice said.

Max wished he could make out the other end of this conversation but there was no use, there was too much static to hear it from where he was. He listened on.

“Ok, we’ll check in again in one hour. Are you meeting us here or what?” the first man asked.

“Ok, one hour,” he responded to Daniels on the other end of the radio.

The door opened and shut. Max assumed they had left to keep searching for him. Max had an hour to try and come up with a plan to take these guys out. His mind began to scheme. He had spent a lot of time scheming in the past eight months. He hated the fact but he was getting good at it. This occasion was no different. He had a plan milling around in his head in no time. He wished he knew if this launcher would fire. He needed to test it. Max made his way to the elevator.

To say there was an elevator shaft would be a stretch. The elevator area was open on the ground floor going outside of the stadium. That gave good access to delivery trucks. The inside area was closed in on the ground floor. There was a large doorway but there were walls down both sides of the elevator. The area was more open on the second floor where most of the unloading took place. The elevator was nothing more than a steel mesh basket about three feet high. The end facing the walkway dropped open to let the workers unload. Max could fire the launcher behind the basket and out the opening on the ground level. Or he could just release the handle locking the elevator up with its safety chain and let the elevator drop to the ground so he would have a clear shot out the ground level opening. Dropping the elevator would broadcast his location too much he thought. A grenade launcher fired out the door wouldn’t exactly give away his position. He left the elevator up and took aim toward the ground. He started to pull the trigger and thought about the thing blowing up in his hands.

Max took his belt off and looped it through the trigger guard. He placed his feet on either side of the handle and braced for the worst. He lay back and pulled the belt tight. The launcher fired with its normal recoil. Max watched as the grenade impacted on the concrete floor below and shattered into a dozen pieces. They bounced on the floor like steel marbles. Nasty weapon Max thought. He better get out of here. No telling who would show up now.

Max’s plan was coming together. It was almost time for them to meet up. Max slipped down into their meeting box. He shoved his plasma rifle under the last row of seats and aimed it toward the window. He eased the door open and entered the hallway. He just hoped he could hear them before he could see them. Just then he heard the telltale sound of the radio about a hundred and fifty feet down the walkway. He heard voices and they were hurrying toward him. When he saw the four shadowy figures he fired the launcher in their direction. He wanted them to know he was there. There were several shouts and the footsteps began to run. Shots rang out; Max felt a slug impact on the back of his vest. If it weren’t for his wound it would have been nothing but the sting sent pain shooting through him. Max shot into the box leaving the door wide open. He set the delay switch on the rifle for twenty seconds, pulled the trigger and flew up through the hatch.

The four men shot through the door with guns blazing. Max slide out to the edge to the box overlooking the field. He aimed the launcher toward the hatch and waited. Twenty seconds can be an eternity. Then he heard a scream. One of them had noticed the plasma rifle! Fire and glass exploded below Max. He could feel the blast through the roof. The heat rose against Max’s face. Two flaming bodies went flying out the shattered window; a third one lay over the edge of the box, impaled on the remaining glass in the pane. The body was in flames and didn’t move. What happened to the fourth guy? Max studied the hatch as he crept back toward it. It was blown open. And like before, the room was ablaze, the smell of melting plastic filled the air. Max backed to the next box, keeping his eye on the blazing hatchway. When he got to the next box he went down. He opened the door cautiously. Lying in the hall was the fourth burnt body. Max saw the guy’s handgun lying there beside him. He retrieved it and searched the charred body for more ammo. He had three more clips inside his vest. He took the gun and got back up to the catwalk above the boxes. There was still a fifth man around here somewhere. At least a fifth one, Max wondered how many more.

Max headed back toward the elevator shaft, looking over his shoulder ever few seconds to make sure no one was behind him. It was dark up here but there was no telling what these guys had. The fifth man could be watching him through night vision glasses and Max would never see him. He passed the elevator and made his way across to the catwalk along the outside wall of the stadium. He sat back to watch and see what might happen next. There was some relief in the reduction of the odds, but he knew he wasn’t out of this yet.

Max inched back toward the elevator and studied it for a quick escape route. He could slide down the safety chain to the elevator if he had to. He could head out across the ceiling. He knew he didn’t want to get near the field. That was death waiting to happen. As he set his foot down with his next step the catwalk gave way. He reached out and grabbed the chain. He dropped the grenade launcher. His back wrenched in pain. He moaned out loud. He heard someone shuffle below him. He made it back to the stable catwalk and looked down. The fifth man startled. He raised his plasma rifle and fired without aiming. It all happened in a split second. The fireball exploded below Max! It threw him into the air along with the loose catwalk and the slack chain. Max covered his face but it was too late. He could feel the fire burning his eyes. He was diving headfirst into the elevator. All he could do was go with the flow. He expected the next blast to cook him. What he didn’t expect was to come to a bone crushing halt hanging entangled in the chain. Max’s foot had gotten tangled when the blast sent him flying head over heels into the air. Now he was dangling in midair, his ankle in excruciating pain. He grabbed his leg but there was nothing he could do to get out of this. The fifth man laughed out like a mad man set free.

“Ha! Max Fallon I assume?” he laughed out. “You’re a hard man to kill Max.”

Max was swinging out over the elevator and spinning like a top coming to a stop. As he swung back toward the chain he groped blindly for something to hold on to. There was nothing. Again he swung out over the elevator. This time he hit the chain as he swung back. He pulled himself half way up but had to let go. He had no strength. The man below him was talking hysterically and laughing. He was relieved that it was Max up there and not him. As Max fell his hand slid down the chain. It landed on the safety catch. He pulled the lever. The elevator dropped like a ton of rocks. He heard the man scream and there was another explosion. Once again Max was flying through the air. This time he knew what awaited him at the end of the chain. More pain. Max screamed bloody murder when the chain yanked against his already wrenched ankle. There was still no siren!

What had happened? Max could only make out blurred objects, nothing clear at all. Had the guy survived? Would Max have to hang here until one of them died? He screamed out again. A heavy hand took hold of the neck of Max’s vest and stopped his swinging! He felt the cold steel barrel of a gun against his temple.

“Well Mr. Fallon, looks like its finally over for you. You put up quite a fight,” the man said.

Max said nothing. Who was this guy he thought? Where did he come from? Max dropped his arms waiting on the inevitable.

A gunshot rang out!

Max flinched. He heard the body fall to the elevator below. What? He wished he could see. He was at the mercy of whoever or whatever was happening. He heard a gasping breath and then the siren screamed out!

“Hello Max,” a voice yelled over the siren. “Good to meet you, unfortunately I can’t afford to let you know who I am. Let’s just say there are those who want this to be a legitimate struggle. You’ll be a free man soon, congratulations, and goodbye.”

The siren died and Max could hear footsteps fading down the walkway. Max screamed out. Soon the sound of several people running toward him filled Max’s ears. The sweetest sound he had heard in a long time. Two or three lifted Max while another one unwrapped the chain from his leg. Every little movement caused Max pain. They rushed him down the stairs and to a waiting ambulance. He took a painkiller from his pocket and popped it into his mouth. The paramedic asked him where he had gotten those. Max didn’t answer. They were racing to the hospital and cutting Max’s boot off his foot when he passed out.

Max woke to total darkness. He felt his eyes; they were bandaged. He rolled onto his back. The pain sent him flying back onto his side. He felt the heavy weight of a cast on his ankle. His whole body was throbbing. He searched the side of his bed for a signaling device. He found it and pushed the button.

“Well, back among the living,” a friendly woman’s voice said.

“Living? Am I really alive? I think I would rather be dead if this is living,” Max answered through his pain.

“We didn’t expect you to be feeling too good when you came around, guess we were right huh?” she asked.

“Yeah. Could you get me something for the pain?” he asked.

She had brought a hypodermic with her. She administered the medicine. Max soon slipped into a less pained state. It was bearable now.

“Those are some pretty nasty wounds you have there,” she told him while she examined him. “We had to re-stitch your back.”

Max sensed a peace this time around. Even with his eyes bandaged he could tell things were different. No guards, nothing menacing. He felt his chest. There was a bandage. The nurse told him they had surgically removed his chip. He fell asleep this time relaxed, at ease, a new peace filling his heart. He didn’t wake until the sound of the nurse setting his tray on the table woke him. She sat him up in bed and fed him. Once again, he was eating hospital food and glad to have it. She made idle conversation while he ate. He would be here until he was able to travel and then it was on to Washington D.C. for his pardon ceremony with the president. The doctors thought he would eventually get his sight back. His eyes had been burned but not beyond repair. He just needed to keep as much light as he could out for awhile. Everyone treated him like a hero. A W.A.R.S. representative checked on his progress daily. Max was ready to make the flight to Washington in less than a week. He would recoup in a hospital there. Then when he was ready they would have his ceremony.

When his private flight landed in Washington reporters asking questions swamped him. He was rushed in his wheelchair away from them. The W.A.R.S. rep, Lloyd Wilson, told them that a contract had been struck for an exclusive interview with Max and that he wasn’t available to the media at this time. When the exclusive interview was over they would get their chance at him if Max were willing. They screamed their questions as Max was seated in the back of a limo and driven away. Max was glad that those trying to get to him now were just aiming tape recorders and pens. Max was taken to his hospital room and treated like royalty. Max had no idea how much of a hero he was for America. It had been so long since an individual had risen above the masses that this country had almost forgotten what a hero was. Max had not asked for this. It had been thrust on him. Now he would get a chance to clear his name and expose W.A.R.S. for what they were.

Max expected everyone who entered his room to be Gina. He found his thoughts constantly on her now but he couldn’t ask anyone about her. She still didn’t exist to Max as far as the rest of the world was concerned. He would bide his time and hope that she could get to him…if she was able to that is. He had been in Washington three days and was feeling better with each passing minute. He had heard about this interview that was suppose to take place but nothing had happened yet. It seemed his story belonged to one reporter for the time being.

Delores Atkins heart beat wildly in her chest as she headed toward Max Fallon’s room. When she had gotten back to Detroit from her last assignment she was informed that Max had won and her exclusive interview was indeed happening. Lloyd Wilson led her down the hospital corridor. He opened Max’s door and ushered her in.

“Hi Max, you awake?” he whispered.

Max stirred in the bed. With the bandage over his eyes you couldn’t tell if he was asleep or not. He had been spending most of his time sleeping these past few days.

“Oh, hi Lloyd. Yeah come on in, I’m up,” Max yawned sleepily.

“Max this is Delores Atkins, the reporter from the New Detroit Daily Digital who won the privilege of interviewing you.” Lloyd introduced her.

“Hello Ms. Atkins,” Max reached out a blind hand to greet her.

“Hello Mr. Fallon, it is indeed a pleasure to meet you,” Delores answered.

Max’s heart stopped! He gripped the hand in his. He had to hide his surprise and excitement at hearing her voice. He was sure that was Gina’s voice. If so then who was Delores Atkins?

“Well, I will leave you two to get acquainted,” Lloyd said as he left the room.

“Gina?” Max whispered excitedly.

“Gina? No Mr. Fallon, my name is Delores. I’m sorry. Delores Atkins. I’m a reporter for the New Detroit Daily Digital,” Gina tried her best to disguise her voice. “We apparently won the bidding for your story. I’m here to get that incredible story down on paper. Or should I say down on screen?” she laughed trying to cover herself.

“I…you sound so much like someone I know. I’m sorry Delores, you just sound so much like…” Max realized he was about to give away something that he had to keep hidden.

Gina bit hard on her bottom lip watching Max’s reaction. She couldn’t take a chance on telling him the truth here and now. They needed to be alone. If she gave herself away now she might be in the next tournament, not exactly her plan right now.

“Oh, I’m sorry Mr. Fallon. Who did you think I was?” Gina couldn’t resist pushing his buttons a little. She couldn’t believe she was actually looking at his wonderful face again. She had almost decided that this day would never come. It was all she could do to keep her distance.

“Oh…no body, never mind. So Ms. Atkins, you get the pleasure of my company for awhile I understand,” Max said wanting to get the subject off of Gina.

“Yes that’s right. I won the pleasure of interviewing you. I can’t wait to hear your story. Would you like to take a walk around the grounds of the hospital and talk?” she asked him.

“Have you taken a good look at me? I don’t think I will be walking anywhere for awhile,” he answered with a smile.

“Well then, how about I walk and push you around in your chair? Does that sound more like it?” she asked.

“Let’s go,” Max answered, anxious to get out into the fresh air.

Gina helped Max out of bed. It was all she could do to keep from hugging him. As she eased him down into his chair her face was just inches from his. She stared at him for several seconds. She regained her composure and wheeled him out of the room; she had other plans for their reunion. A nurse stopped them at the nurses’ station.

“Just where do you think you’re going young man?” a familiar voice asked.

“Anywhere I want to,” Max answered and smiled in her direction.

The nurse laughed and patted Max on the head. The only thing she told him was to be careful and come back in one piece. Delores assured the nurse that she would take good care of Max.

Max felt the warmth of the sun on his face. Gina headed toward the parkinglot but Max had no idea where he was. She couldn’t take a chance on revealing herself in such a public place.

“Mr. Fallon, I don’t want to seem forward but I feel sure we could conduct this interview much easier in a more private environment. I have a suite at a nearby hotel. I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable but if you would like to we could go back there and be more relaxed. If that suits you of course,” Gina asked him trying to hide her excitement.

“Whatever you need Delores, and please, call me Max. That Mr. Fallon stuff is getting old already,” he told her.

“Great. Wait right here I will be back in a second,” she told Max.

Gina rushed into the parkinglot and was back in her car in nothing flat. She helped Max from his chair into the front seat. She collapsed the chair and put it in the back seat. She wheeled him into the elevator in the hotel lobby. No one noticed and if they did they didn’t care. Gina fumbled with the key in the lock. Her hands were shaking so badly she could barely get the door open. When she finally did, she wheeled Max in and shut the door. She helped him onto the couch but kept her secret.

“Well, this should be better don’t you think Mr. Fallon?” she asked.

“Max,” was all he said.

“Yes, Max, I’m sorry. Max it is. Are you comfortable?” she asked.

“Yes very,” he replied.

“Could I offer you something to drink?” she asked. “I have soft drinks and some juice in the complimentary fridge here. Or if you care for something a little stronger I do have a bottle of wine,”

“Oh yeah, a glass of wine would really hit the spot,” he told her.

Gina poured two glasses of wine from the bottle she had taken from the church where they had last shared this wine. She had opened the wine and left it breathing while she went to the hospital to get Max. She took Max’s glass to him and watched for his response. It was if a light came on when he tasted it. He took another sip and then downed the glass. Gina took it from him and returned to the counter.

“That tastes very familiar. What is that wine? It’s very familiar,” Max’s mind raced back to the bell tower where he last tasted it. Was this the same wine? Surely not, it just brought back a sweet memory. But it tasted so good.

“Oh just a something I picked up when I got to town. Do you like it?” Gina asked.

“Yes very much,” he told her.

“Would you like some more?” she asked.

“Absolutely,” he answered.

Gina unbuttoned her dress and let it fall to the floor. She slipped out of her bra with one hand as she poured him another glass of wine. She pulled her panties down and stepped out of them. She was a vision walking toward Max stripped down to nothing but her red high heels, holding two glasses of wine. If he could see her now he would simply die.

AAAWRITER
AAAWRITER
15 Followers