Why I Hated The Guy From The FBI Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Neither Donna's, nor my family has any known associate that are part of any criminal activity that we know about. However, the FBI insists that we are associated with some criminal organization. Donna's father, Mr. Marco Mancuso leaves for work at 5 o'clock every morning. He goes to his cement factory and returns home at 5 o'clock in the evening. He is under suspicion for being a Mafia member. You should see him when he returns home from work. He is covered in cement dust, from the top of his head to the bottom of his shoes. He looks exactly what you would expect a Mafioso to look like when he comes home, 'a ghost.' His only crime is; he is Italian and he owns a cement factory. The FBI is chasing stories from the 50s and 60s, because it is convenient for their masters to take attention away from their current problems. Drugs are coming in from South America, and they cannot stop them. Italians are not born and raised in Columbia, Venezuela, Bolivia, or Peru. It is an inconvenient truth, but it is the truth, that this country has a drug problem, and the FBI has to blame it on someone. They look to the past and they say, "Let's blame it on the Mafia. It will make for good headlines."

"Mr. Caruso, are you going to return to the United States, next Sunday morning?"

"As of this moment, yes I am. My lawyers have advised me not to return home, for my own safety. They want me to wait, until after we file the lawsuit against the Justice Department, the FBI, and American Airlines. After that, they will allow me to return to the United States, because we will be able to show cause, to any judge, why the FBI might be using their power, to put me in jail."

"When will you be certain of your plans?"

He smiled and said "I would suspect Saturday evening, at the latest."

"Thank you ladies and gentlemen; I think you all have enough information for your stories. We, as a family, appreciate your attendance at this press conference," Marco Mancuso said.

The family did not leave the pressroom; they mixed with the reporters, thanking them for attending the conference, not knowing what was going on, and knowing they had better things to cover. They wished to thank each of them personally. The open bar, and delicious luncheon that was available, after the conference, was a nice touch, also. The lawyers had insisted on this, because they knew that reporters would take anything they could get for free, especially liquor.

The afternoon news blasted the FBI for their handling of the case, as far as Mrs. Mancuso and Annarosa were concerned. However, the real news came, on the evening news, from Capitol Hill, where senators and congressmen, from New York, demanded answers from the FBI and the Department of Justice about profiling of an Italian American citizen. They demanded to see the evidence the Bureau had against Anthony Caruso, and Marco Mancuso. If they had the evidence, why weren't these two men in jail? If they had no evidence, why were they hounding their families, to the point, that they nearly killed two innocent civilians? They wanted to know how they could lose track of a man and his family, while they were traveling, when they knew: exactly where he was going, the reason for his trip, where he was staying, when the wedding was, and the date of his return to the United States. The failure of the Bureau, in this matter, was totally in- excusable. The Senators and Congressmen called for a joint House/Senate subcommittee hearing to convene and hear evidence on this case. Everyone from the Attorney General, the Director of the FBI, the SAIC's, and the agents directly involved with this case were subpoenaed to testify. Congress would get to the bottom of this, and those who were responsible would pay with their jobs. If appropriate, individuals would be held over for Criminal Trials.

As for the lawsuit, if the agencies were found guilty, whatever the courts decided was fair compensation, for the families of this tragedy, it would come out of the budgets of the DOJ, and the FBI.

The nightly news reports never mentioned the names of Anthony Caruso or Marco Mancuso. The lawyers and the family were ecstatic. They waited until the print media posted their stories the next day to see if they had hit a home run.

Reuters news service came out with their story first. They were complementary about the family, and compassionate about their plight. However, they had done some digging into Tony's background, and found some dirt about his dealings. The reporter said there was a 'possibility' that 'he may have had dealings, in the past, with some Mafia associates.' There was no positive proof of the matter, just innuendo and suspicion.' He continued saying, "As Mr. Caruso said during his interview, 'I am an Italian, so the FBI looks at me, and says he has to be connected, with the mob.' The reporter said, "All too often we find out, after the fact, law enforcement becomes overzealous in their prosecution of people they believe to be guilty, and are indeed innocent. In the United States, people are supposed to be innocent, until proven guilty. This may be one of those times; or it may not. Only time will tell. 'Peter Friedman reporting from Milan.'

Again, the lawyers were thrilled with this report. Tony was not happy with the suggestion that he was connected. He had hoped to be shown as absolutely clean of any involvement. Antonia said, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, dad. This report is as clean as you could have expected to get, with all your years of involvement. You should be very happy."

"Antonia, you always had a way with words. Most of them were like knives thrown, at other people's hearts. This time, your words are absolutely correct; I should be, and actually I am very happy."

Vincent said, "Dad, I think Donna and I should go home, now. It would look better for us to rush home to see her mother and our child; rather than spend another week on vacation."

"Excellent suggestion Vincent; call the airline, and change your reservation now. I am sure there will be room in first-class, for one of their two departures tonight for New York. American airlines will do anything for you, because your name is Caruso, and they know they're about to be sued."

When the New York Times, in an editorial article, hit the streets and the Internet, it was a scathing rebuke of the FBI, and their incompetence in this case. They reamed them about the case of the missing drug shipment that came through the port of Newark. They quoted Frank Gennaro, about the political appointees, becoming supervisors at the Bureau, while more qualified men were passed over for promotion. The Times asked the public, "If someone told you where they were going to be, at what time, and on what day, do you think you could find them? We believe you could. However, with the brains of the supervisory agents at the FBI, they managed to lose not only one member of a family, who was going to a wedding in Milan, but all four of the Caruso's. The wedding was announced in the local newspapers and posted on the Cathedral of Milan's website. Any idiot should have been able to find Anthony Caruso and his family, at his daughter's wedding. We believe, if the Bureau could not find Mr. Caruso, they should have been able to call one of their own former employees, and asked him. The phone call would have sounded something like this, "Frank, this is Special Agent Dummy. We have lost contact with your future father-in-law. Can you tell us where he is?"

"Yes, Special Agent Dummy, he is in the first pew, on the left side of the aisle, in the Cathedral of Milan. He has just given me his daughter's hand in marriage. The mass is about to begin. Would you like to join us?"

I know this sounds absurd, but this is an example of what could have happened, with one simple phone call. A grandmother would not have had a heart attack; and a four-month-old infant would not have run the risk of being run over, by a motor vehicle. The Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation were totally negligent in this matter. If Mrs. Mancuso had died, because of this, someone at the Bureau should have been charged with manslaughter. If Annarosa Caruso had died, because of negligence at both, the D.O.J., and the FBI, someone at either of those agencies should have been charged with Negligent Homicide." Marlene Taft, Editorial Staff.

Both the Caruso and the Mancuso families were ecstatic with this article. It was exactly the type of press they had hoped for. From this point on, the government would have to prove their case against them, not the other way around.

Vincent and Donna departed that evening for New York, and when they arrived, the press was there to meet them. Vincent had to guard Donna on their way to the baggage area, and pleaded with them to allow his wife and him to be on their way to see their child and her mother as quickly as possible. Their pictures were headline news the next morning. It was perfect.

Tony announced that he would be returning to New York, against the wishes of his attorneys, Saturday evening as planned. He said, "If the FBI plans to arrest me, let them, and then let them prove I have done something wrong. Just like many of you, I have had to save for this wedding; and for this trip to Italy. It has not been easy, but thankfully my business is doing well. I will see you all in New York, Sunday."

At a final dinner at Phillips home, Celeste told Anthony a few things he did not know. "Anthony, I want you to listen to everything I say before you react. First, you no longer own your home in Brooklyn. Antonia and Frank own it. It is all part of your estate plan, for tax purposes. They paid you $1000 for your home, and you will continue to pay your mortgage as rent through the end of seven years. At that time, Frank and Antonia will receive those payments as your rent. Your roofing business is now a partnership, with Antonia and Vincent. Many of your assets have been moved around, into beneficial tax structures, as part of your estate plan. Do not ask me how we know about your assets, or how we did it without your signature, just know that you signed all the documents correctly, and the transfers took place last Monday." There was laughter all around the table except for Tony and Rose who were stunned.

"Second, the FBI does intend to arrest you, when you land in New York. They plan to assassinate your character, through media events, and accuse you of being a mob boss. They will provide no evidence; however, they will use enough innuendo to leave doubt in the public's mind."

"Anthony, Rose, the third one is the most important one. Do not get upset, because it is all under control. Neither of you will get to the airport terminal."

Tony looked at her, with his eyes wide open. "Are you saying they are going to attempt to assassinate us?"

"Anthony, it will not actually be the FBI."

Tony asked, "Celeste, what is going on?"

"You and Rose are going to be shot in view of the entire press corps."

Anthony roared. "I will not allow Rose to be hurt."

"It will only be a flesh wound, and where it will be, you will love to kiss it, and make it better."

"Rose, are you all right with her plan?"

"If it keeps you out of jail, Anthony, I will do it. It was the reason I asked you to bring the money to Italy."

"You people were planning this, before we got here?"

"Dad, you would have loved our original plan. What we had in store for Saturday evening, was exquisite. The feds would have gone crazy trying to figure out which one was the real you, and where you had gone."

Tony laughed. "One day, we will sit down and talk about your original plan, and I will laugh along with you. Where am I going to be shot, and how badly am I going to be hurt."

Celeste said, "It all depends whose point of view you have. There is going to be blood all over the place. To the onlookers, it is going to look like you were shot in the heart, because you will be wearing bags of blood under your jacket and shirt. Actually, you will be hit, under your left shoulder. When you feel the bullet hit you, you will hit your arm across your chest hard; fall down face first, and pop all the blood bags. You will be a mess. You will be wearing prosthesis on your neck and chest that will show that you barely have any pulse. Frank, Charlie and Philip will be at your side, with guns drawn keeping everyone away from you. Antonia, Ann, and I will be at Rose's side. Antonia will be crying, screaming and yelling. Ambulances will show up, quickly, and take you both to the hospital. Very special surgeons, doctors, and nurses will take care of you, Anthony. Rose, a plastic surgeon will take care of your flesh wound. The papers will show the assassination attempt, on the both of you, the following day, in countries all over the world. A story will leak about the FBI's intention of arresting Anthony, upon his return, and what the Bureau intended to do to him. When the Bureau denies that this was going to happen; confidential documents will be released to the press, proving their intentions. These documents will show that there may have been an alternate way to handle their problem, also."

Frank said, "Dad, before you ask Celeste your questions; do not ask her your questions. You do not want to know."

"I would have expected that statement to come out of my daughter's mouth."

"Your daughter has turned over a new leaf, and I am extremely proud of her. When it comes to things like this, it is better for former FBI agents and a wonderful woman, like Celeste, to take care of these business arrangements."

"Celeste, for Rose and I, we wish to thank you for your help."

"Anthony, Rose, I cannot wait to tell you about our other plans. They were magnificent, and you would have loved to watch the FBI run all over Northern Africa and the United States looking for you."

"Northern Africa, what would I be doing their?

"Tunisia does not have an extradition treaty, with the United States. That is where we were going to have all clues lead the FBI. You know they would follow you to the ends of the earth, and that is where we were going to send them."

"It sounds to me that you invented a new game of Monopoly, for the Bureau to chase me on."

Antonia replied, "That is a very good analogy, dad. However, the FBI would have had several disadvantages. They would have been deaf, dumb, and blind, while they were playing the game."

Rose laughed. "You people are not being fair. You are leaving all these clues around, and not telling us what was supposed to be happening. You are leaving us salivating to know the end of the game."

Celeste replied, "The reason we are not saying anything about it is, we may yet have to use it. If we do, and you accidentally mention it to anyone, is it could compromise the entire operation. In this case, ignorance is bliss."

Rose looked at her husband, smacked him, and said, "I have heard that statement before."

Anthony looked at Rose, smiled, kissed her, and said, "Your Academy awards worked, didn't they?"

She smiled at him, and said, "Yes, I guess they did."

43. Assassination and Assignation

Everyone knew what was about to happen at the airport. They went to a late lunch and departed for the airport at 2 PM for a 6 PM departure. Tony wore the specially designed body armor prosthesis that protected his lungs and heart from damage, just in case the bullet was off target by inches. Rose was not particularly happy about being shot, but she would do it, to keep her husband out of jail.

They all parked their cars in the short-term parking lot. Frank and Charlie wheeled the trolleys, with the bags, towards the terminal, where the press corps was waiting. They walked in their assigned positions and waited.

When the press saw the Caruso entourage approaching, they raced across the street, and started taking pictures and asking questions.

Tony said to them, "Don't you think it would be safer to ask these questions, after we crossed the road?"

The reporters started to turn away, and walk back towards the terminal, when shots rang out. Tony fell to the ground face first, and Rose screamed and fell backward.

Everyone reacted as planned. The three men pulled their guns and surrounded Tony, looking for the shooters.

Antonia screamed, "Mom!"

Celeste and Ann knelt down next to her, trying to lend their support.

The reporters were taking pictures, as quickly as they could, and the police were responding in droves. Other passengers were scrambling for safety. The terminal was sealed, keeping those that were inside in, and those who were outside out. Tony's vest had done its job, and the blood was flowing all over the ground.

Sirens could be heard in the distance rushing towards them. The area was cordoned off by the police, but Charlie, Frank, and Philip refused to let anyone near Tony.

When the ambulances arrived, the three men allowed the medics to examine Tony. The medics put a backboard on the ground and flipped Tony on to it. They inserted needles into his arm that would provide him with life-saving fluids. As soon as they had done everything that could be done at the scene, they loaded him into an ambulance, with Frank by his side. They raced off towards the hospital. Frank took off Tony's prosthesis, and gave it to the medic, who nodded, and hid it, in a side compartment

Tony opened his eyes and said, "God Almighty that hurt."

Frank laughed and replied, "Remember, dad, if this was for real, you would be dead, and not complaining at all."

"Yes, Frank, there is that to be taken into consideration. How is Rose doing?"

"I am sure that she is fine. However I am also sure, she is a pain in the ass. Let me change that Tony, I am sure she has a pain in the ass."

Tony coughed as he laughed. "Do not do that to me, Frank. Can't you see that I am a severely injured man?"

"I just thought I would add levity to this dire situation."

Moments later Frank said, "Okay, Tony, shut up and look sick. We are at the hospital."

The media was already at the hospital, as well as the police and FBI agents, who had raced behind the ambulance. The medic injected Tony with a medication, which would slow his heartbeat and make his vital signs look very weak. When the authorities looked at the monitors, Tony's outlook would look very bleak.

The hospital staff rushed him in to the emergency room, and the tests began. Blood was drawn x-rays, CAT scans, most of which had been taken from other patients with severe bullet wounds to their chests were put into Tony's visible charts. If the FBI wanted to look at their patients confidential records, this is what they would see. The real records were kept locked in a different area. The hospital treated Anthony Caruso just as they had treated Don Antonio Castronova, with secrecy, and the utmost respect. Philip had spoken with his eldest brother and arranged this, earlier in the week.

It did not take long for the agents that were following Tony to the hospital to report to the Special Agents in Charge of their operation, about the attempted assassination of Anthony, and Rose Caruso. The information was immediately transmitted to New York and Washington, D.C.

When it reached the desk of Ed Cross, he called in his secretary and had her draft a notice to all Special Agents in Charge in the New York area. "Each supervisor will take a lie detector test within the next five days. There will be no excuses, or absences allowed. Anyone failing this examination will be placed on unpaid leave and subject to an immediate departmental hearing for the purposes of dismissal from the Bureau, and possible criminal charges." He advised his secretary to send it to every agent and to post it on every public bulletin board.

His secretary said, "Yes sir, I will do it right away." In the six years she had been his secretary, she had never seen him so angry.