Xena & Gabrielle Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The ground is bathed with death," said the elder of the two men. "It is poison....... poison to a sacred well."

Xena didn't wait to ask what the man meant, she commanded Argo to ride away, back to the cabin. She took Gabrielle inside, reaching for a basin of water. Gabrielle had dirt upon her face and blood. Xena gently washed her beloved bard's face, glad to see that it was just a minor scratch and the bard was not seriously wounded.

"Xena, I need to get to Hope. I need to see if she's alright...." Gabrielle spoke, trying to twist away from Xena's gentle ministrations.

"The holy men have gone to check on her," Xena stated, washing the last bit of grime from Gabrielle's soft cheek. "These villagers are brutal, Gabrielle. They are not giving up. Not till they kill Hope... and maybe all of us, too." Xena looked worried. She feared she wouldn't be able to protect Gabrielle much longer from the villagers..... and more than that she feared an assault from Hope.

Just then the younger of the old men walked into the cabin, carrying Gwain's amulet. His eyes were wet with tears. "What is it? Where is my baby? What has happened?" Gabrielle asked, going to the old man and demanding answers.

"The baby is in the stable. She's--- she's killed Gwain...." the old man spoke with a heavy sob.

"She what? No! Hope couldn't do that! She's only a baby!" Gabrielle exclaimed.

"He had been strangled by his own amulet. And it had been ripped from around his throat. And it lay in HER hands. She did it! She's a monster!" the old man accused as he broke down into sobs.

"No! No!" Gabrielle kept crying out. She ran toward the stables, and so did Xena. When they got there, they saw Hope, playing in the dirt beside the body of the dead man dressed as a knight. She looked up at her mother and Xena, her face totally expressionless.

"Hope!" Gabrielle cried out, looking at her baby. Could it be true? Could Hope have possibly done such a horrible thing?

Xena bent down by Gwain, checking over the body. It was true. Gwain had been clearly strangled and by someone of incredible strength. Xena then looked at Hope as Gabrielle held her in the protective band of her arms.

"Gabrielle---," Xena began, her voice menacing, but Gabrielle cut her off.

"She didn't do it, Xena. I know.... she's innocent..." Gabrielle sobbed. "And I won't let you hurt her... I won't."

She then ran toward the cabin, leaving Xena in the stables with the dead man. She was soon joined there by the two holy men who had come to build a funeral pyre for their fallen friend. "It's up to you now, Xena. You know what that child is capable of. She will soon turn on you... and possibly on Gabrielle. Nothing will stand in the way of her evil. You know what you have to do..." said the elder holy man as they stood watching the flames of Gwain's pyre.

"Yes, I know. But it's not going to be easy," said Xena with a harsh hiss as she reached for the hilt of her sword. Hope had a date with death.

~*~

Gabrielle lay on the sleeping pallet, her arm around Hope. The baby seldom slept; she didn't need to sleep as human's did. She awakened, playing with her doll. As she scooted herself on the floor, she found Gwain's amulet. She had wanted it. So she had taken it... and his life as well. She played with the amulet, glad it was hers now. She hadn't liked Gwain at all... She knew he was an executioner ... sent here to kill her. Most of all, she hated Xena. Xena wanted to take her mother away. And Xena wanted to kill her, steal her life. Hope had to live.

Gabrielle awakened with a start, realizing she had fallen asleep. She hadn't meant to close her eyes, but she had been so exhausted. Hope didn't sleep much, so as a result, neither did Gabrielle. She was sleep-deprived, and her body cried out for a much- needed rest. "Hope," she gasped, reaching for her baby, but Hope was no longer resting beside her.

Gabrielle turned on her side, seeing Hope there, clutching the amulet, and above Hope was Xena, sword raised to strike. Xena's eyes were glassy as she was about to thrust the long razor-sharp blade into Hope's tiny chest. "No!" came Gabrielle's shrill scream.

12