All Comments on '1066'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 52 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy10 months ago

Splendid story!

5

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmith10 months ago

Wow! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

statestreetstatestreet10 months ago

Very entertaining! Life back then was very hard, but those who chose to truly lived! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

BigJohn601BigJohn60110 months ago

As usual a well written story that I found entertaining and it kept me enthralled. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

C+ history, C- story.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Boring cuck story.

steeltiger01steeltiger0110 months ago

You've a nice hand with a historical tale. Thanks for this, it was an enjoyable read for this history & HEMA nerd.

DontPanic442DontPanic44210 months ago

Wonderful. Thank you for the great story.

BaggyUKBaggyUK10 months ago

Very well written and entertaining slice of history. Not quite Bernard Cornwell but pretty close. Thank you. 5*

gordo12gordo1210 months ago

What an excellent story. And the ending was just right. How often have we considered and ignored the history of how we got here because it's too boring? ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Some ANON Norman archer, or perhaps a disgruntled Saxon who wanted to be anywhere but Pevensey, fired a shaft through Harald's visor and into his eye socket, thus changing the world forever. That dude is the ULTIMATE Anon! Great story!! (wasted on this feckless bunch)

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A lot of work and we'll done. The score reflects the overall quality of the readership, not the story.

I do think the ending was implausible. Warriors in any age would have seen the opportunities to do better than than you wrote. Still...5

deependerdeepender10 months ago

Late to battle,

early to bed.

The cots were all a-rattle

as the king lost his head.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

An OUTSTANDING story. Loved it --- five stars +

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Excellent story, great writing, 5 all the way until I hit the epilogue. Disgust filled my soul. 2!!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Thank you, Carvohi, for a great and poignant story. Ignore the idiots.

RK52RK5210 months ago

Calling this Loving Wives is both truthful and an absolute misnomer. This is a historical story that goes far beyond. An excellent story both heartening because of the way you presented it and disheartening because, as you said, it is only a tiny bit of forgotten and/or ignored history.

Excellent work, a clear five stars. Unfortunately, for those who don’t understand, this is a forgotten or ignored reality. Tremendous job.

Comentarista82Comentarista8210 months ago

Masterfully written, and yet it appears some don't grasp the epilogue. For shame!

You wrote this like these characters might have truly lived and breathed, with the emphasis on LIVED. This history lived, fought and died for what mattered, and anyone reading it should have felt the same way. The story exteriorized every character's sentiments, thoughts, hopes and very lives; they fought to survive, to enjoy what they had, to rise up against insurmountable odds; they existed for a purpose--even if they didn't always understand what that was. The epilogue screams at us how we don't appreciate history, and few expose to us its richness, validity and application to our current day. In fact, this story engulfs both George Santayana and the next-to-last Rambo quotes: "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"; "live for something...or die for nothing!!"

There was only one historical error I found, while spot-checking: women before the Norman conquest would not have been beaten like that Meghan was--at least not without the same being done to the wife of the man that beat her; in fact, no woman could be forced at that time to marry a man she did not want. (Look up "Women's Rights in Anglo-Saxon England" and you'll find the webpage by Octavia Randolph.) Despite missing that relatively important item, I'm not going to ding the story for it, as that omission represents only something like 2 paragraphs in the entire 8 pages. This rates a well-deserved 5.

inka2222inka222210 months ago

First of all, an absolutely amazing story, thank you!!! Easy 5 stars and wish could give more. It is sad that many people don't realize that history is comprised of real people doing real things that weren't simple or straightforward to categorize compared to a summary in school textbook. Or that they were real people with feelings, thoughts, emotions, dilemmas and challenges that dwarfed what an average person faces these days.

/

Second, I agree that this is both technically ok being LW, and realistically a poor fit with "asshole woman cheats" stuff prevalent in the category - mostly because LE misnames the category.

/

Third, the ending was so thoroughly depressing :( It's atrocious how progressives managed to destroy the love of history and stamp out proper teaching of it over the last 60 years. Didn't used to be this way and for all the bad things one can say about Russia and USSR, at least there most kids were and still are taught history (poorly, with communist and pro-russian bias, but the history was INTERESTING to most, and considered important).

69gman69gman10 months ago

Excellent all five stars turned golden...

It is good to see one of my favorite authors writing again. Yes, it is sad our societies care so little about our histories.

1959richard21959richard210 months ago

Is this a re-post of a previous story❓️

Possibly shorter length.

*

Nice to see you are back , Jed.

Thank you for your stories Carvohi.

I'm still

*

*

*

*

AMerryman

miket0422miket042210 months ago

Loved the story right up until the ending. Unfortunately for me that sucked a lot of energy out of what was otherwise a very entertaining story.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJ10 months ago

Very good historical drama. Every conquered people must feel the same way. It actually reminded me of the last battles of Inca after Pizarro had devastated them. Yet the people survived just as the Saxons did. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Wonderful writing, thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Excellent rendition of history.

Some may even be correct.

Certainly the essence is there.

The current global situation is similar.

Democracy is a dead man walking.

And great evil is here.

Cheers 🥂

BSreaderBSreader10 months ago
You

Are truly one of a kind, this was an amazing story. I've always enjoyed your writing and this I can't say enough about how good it is. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A well written and enjoyable story. easily a 5 ***** tale

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

After having read the majority of the comments I’d like to offer that the problem is that history isn’t boring. It’s how history is so incredibly fragile and can disappear before anyone realizes when it’s gone. And of what remains is offered in the least inspiring and lazy means available.

History can come alive when it’s presented with a little imagination. What’s offered may no be accurate, but it reconstitutes history by adding some humanity that been long wrung out and evaporated with time.

Simon_MastersSimon_Masters10 months ago

Brilliant read, wish I'd read such a story while trying to come to terms with the Kings etc. This is all relatively local history for me, just never enjoyed it, having stood on the field and adjacent Abbey, it's more relevant to me now.

Well done Carvohi.

mariabordelonmariabordelon10 months ago

FABULOUS!!!

One of the best examples of historical fiction anywhere!

The emotions, characters and details of time and place are superb!

You obviously did your research.

Thank you for writing this marvelous story.

ChopinesqueChopinesque10 months ago

Very fine story. It has an honest feel to it. I was hoping for our good Saxons to the end.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

PHENOMENAL!!!!! Thank you for bringing the past to life.

RanDog025RanDog02510 months ago

Damn Carhovi, you wrote a freakin' Classic here. Damn, I loved it. Love these types of stories. You're a Classic AUTHOR! 5 BIG ASS FUCKING HUGE FLAMING NOVA STARS! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You need to Publish this one, seriously!

BigfundrewBigfundrew10 months ago

Well done. You really brought the story to life.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

GrandPaMGrandPaM10 months ago

STUPENDOUS!!!

(If only because nobody else in recent comments used that compliment yet).

More to the point, though, putting the Life back into some otherwise dry and tragic history like this. Really nice work.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc10 months ago

Nobody on this site quite has your knack for drawing the reader completely into the minds of your character. This tale really hits home as I’m currently traveling the back country of Ireland learning their history. 5.0*

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Once again, Sir, you have constructed a remarkable tale. Torn from the history book and brought to life an intriguing, gripping chapter. I salute you as one whose writings are superior.

Thank you. Looking forward to your next.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Wow; a lesson in culture, and warfare. An entire populace, wiped out or enslaved. Whole villages destroyed or subdued. Men, women, and children, raped, killed, tortured. And except for the few trained and armed fighting MEN, with a disingenuous nod to some supposedly fighting women, there was damn little they could do to resist or fight back. Despite the bravery and superiority of the Saxon warriors, they were too few to resist the invaders. If they had time to prepare, to train, to acquire arms and fighting equipment, they probably would have repulsed the invaders. But they weren't expecting to be invaded. And its takes years, strength, and athletic ability to learn how to fight with sword, spear, and mace. Why would any society devote that much time and resources to developing a standing army of fighting men? How many men, or women, would have the size, strength, and athletic ability to learn how to become a swordsman or an archer?

\

I think your story helps understand why the founding fathers of the United States made owning and carrying firearms the second most important right of an American citizen. It takes the U.S. army two to three weeks to turn a new soldier into a qualified Marksman, with a Fully Automatic assault rifle, that's a machine gun. These soldiers can be of either sex, and just 18 years old. But you don't have to be a soldier to learn how to use a rifle, and the civilian SEMI-automatic rifles are even easier to master. And anyone of any age and gender who has the physical ability and training can put a bullet in an enemy's head at 100 yards or more.

\

So let's move this story to modern times with modern weapons, and of course the American right to possess and bear arms. Now the Normans don't have to be on the look out for the rare fighting Man. No, every man, woman and many of the "children" in the village are now deadly to them. Ask the British soldiers fighting the American colonialist how that works. Actually you could also ask the Russian soldiers who tried to subdue Afghanistan how fighting a dedicated armed population works.

\

There are more than 4 million Chinese soldiers. Russia is a little less, at 3.7 million soldiers. The United States has just over 2 million soldiers, less than half of the Chinese army, and not much better against the Russian army. So if we are the Saxons, and the Chinese or the Russians are the invading Normans, were fucked, right? Half the army. Well, there is the small detail of the armed American citizen. How many of them are there? A very rough approximation: over 131 million. Forty percent of American households have guns, with 2.5 people per household. If the Americans fight with the same dedication and intensity as Aelfwine and Godyfa it would be a blood bath for an invading army. But let's say the armed American citizen is an over weight dull witted slug, so the Russians and the Chinese kill 10 Americans for every soldier they lose. That's about 80 million dead Americans, for 8 million dead invaders. At which point Russia and China have ZERO soldiers left, and essentially no armed citizens (That's how they control them). While America still has 51 Million very very pissed off armed citizens. Do you think the Normans would have invaded if the populace were armed and as capable as the Norman soldiers? Remember, it takes 2 to 3 weeks to turn a teenager who has never held a gun into a Marksman with an assault rifle.

\

So I very much appreciate the moral of your story. Might doesn't make Right, but it does make Rulers. As the Communist Yevgraf Zhivago said, "I've executed better men than me with a small pistol." He was killing unarmed Russians, probably with their hands tied behind their back. I wonder how long he would have lived trying to subdue New York City, or Dallas? Not portrayed in your story, but Might also makes Peace, and survival. Two million soldiers by themselves won't do it. 131 million armed Citizens? Well, its not without its down side, but its better than the peace the Saxons got. I think your dead Saxon heroes would have preferred the American Constitution to their own. And I suspect their fate had some influence on that Constitution.

\

Thanks again for a very interesting and compelling story.

des911des91110 months ago

Brilliant! Where I live, the Normans have left their mark in so many ways. Your incredible tale brings to life the means they used and the resistance of the people. A ghastly story in some respects but you also gave us the human element that transcends it all.

Well done and thank you

ibuguseribuguser10 months ago

Beautifully written. 10* for the effort, if I could have.

Alas 5* will have to do.

DazzyDDazzyD10 months ago

For those who have not read, “PILLARS OF THE EARTH”, please do so!

DazzyD

A_BierceA_Bierce10 months ago

I hope your magnificent story will help ensure that the year 1066 will be recognized with no need for further explanation, as it once was. Pass it along, folks.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndy10 months ago

Well done story! I really enjoy a story of fiction wrapped around or inside history and facts. It makes me want to look back on the written history and refresh my memory.

WillowghbyWillowghby9 months ago
Thank You, carvohi!

A delightful alternative to the typical, modern day, cheat/revenge stories in LW.

Keep 'em comin'!

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Very fine telling of history by creating a narrative that is peripheral enough to bridge the dynastic transition yet involved enough to offer details of the awful brutality of such.

tennesseeredtennesseered9 months ago

Solid writing and a compelling story. 5

kamdev99008kamdev990088 months ago

great

a marvelous tale

5 star .........

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

This is as good a story as exists in LW on this site. Given a bit more polish and editing, the cleverness of the characters’ attitudes, the scale of the tale, and its direct importance to directly the English speaking peoples and indirectly the world, this by rights belongs in the Top 15 Hall of Fame.

_

Lots of great true (at least as reported) details such as the berserker at Stamford Bridge, the role of huscarls, the obsessive Christianity of that age and cooption of the bishops in the social reordering.

_

I love the epilogue to contextualize the story as if it really happened. Gives a great speculative feel to an epic narrative. If Carvohi wanted, I suspect given a bit more meat and professional editing, this could easily be a nice historical fiction novel. I would frankly encourage that sort of endeavor. It would be made even better if differential vocabulary was included in the Saxon and Norman characters (the word muck vs manure in the romanticization of the English language). As they’d say on HGTV: this has good bones.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

As a descendant of Saxon/Wiking blood I enjoyed the read

. Pseuydonym Jim

carvohicarvohiabout 1 month agoAuthor

Dear Pseudonym Jim with the Anglo-Saxon blood. Now there's an ethnic group that has had a profound worldide impact.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous