All Comments on '50 Ways: Her Parents did it for Me!'

by PostScriptor

Sort by:
  • 39 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Not sure the woman is his girlfriend.

I always figured the female in the "50 Ways" song was another woman, trying to get the man the cheat on his girlfriend. She was luring him away.

This is a good story about a prenup. It's probably not possible, but I think a story where the guy the problem, and then reverses the prenup, so that he ends up with everything, would be interesting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I felt bad for Jane

The dad is definitely an asshole but the protagonist was definitely one too

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 4 years ago

What would he have done if Jane's father didn't try to pull the pre-nup on him?

As for the song, I think the girl in the song is just a friend, advising him on how to get free from his lover. Whether it's to be with her is an open question.

MsCherylTerraMsCherylTerraalmost 4 years ago

Interesting thoughts about the meaning behind the song! Really enjoyed the story :)

JayDiverJayDiveralmost 4 years ago

OLD MAN.

I'm old enough to have heard the Paul Simon song when it was first released, and innumerable times since. I agree with the previous comment. The woman in the song reciting the 50 ways is not his girlfriend or any other woman he knows. He was whining to her about his girlfriend and their relationship. I think everyone understands the woman was telling him to not complicate the issue, just leave. Then she told him that she was going to leave him BEFORE she became his lover, thus illustrating another way to leave your lover.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

the meaning of teh song?

The song only mentions 3 ways, all of them ultimately being the same way - WALK AWAY

The meaning of the song is, ultimately no matter the drama and the plans in the end you can only walk away

GumpershnickalGumpershnickalalmost 4 years ago

honestly ive never heard the song, so that influences my feelings, but the way the story is told

just makes me dislike the guy in the story almost as much as the ex's dad

norafaresnorafaresalmost 4 years ago

Great interpretation of the song. Five stars!

Jack99Jack99almost 4 years ago

The meaning of the song is obvious if you listen to it. The singer is cheating on his lover with another woman, and she wants him to leave his lover. The "lover" might be the most virtuous angel in existence, or maybe a shrew. It's never mentioned.

mainer42mainer42almost 4 years ago

sometimes your writing has a "savant" tinge to it. This was one of them. Cannot give you a 10.

WargamerWargameralmost 4 years ago

Another great story

tazz317tazz317almost 4 years ago
IN ANY DIVORCE OR BREAK-UP

50 ways do not indicate reasons for what ever happened. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Good to see.

Originality in the plot.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Poor Jane

I feel badly for Jane. The guy never loved her and the father ruined it for her. I do think it was for the best as the douchebag in deed would have cheated or dumped her hard.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreealmost 4 years ago
That was fun.

The meaning of the lyrics?

I never dove deep enough

to really try understand.

I only saw it as play with words.

Seems to me that some writers,

in this event, saw it that way too.

The story was a bit strange but fun to read.

Top ratings from me.

saxman1947saxman1947almost 4 years ago
No ambiguity for me

Maybe I have a simple mind, but what I got from the song was a man and a woman (maybe even a woman and a woman) in a bar. He (before the song starts) has just complained about wanting to break up with his girlfriend and not knowing how to go about it. The woman then starts telling him about the fifty ways to leave his lover.

The point is, she is telling him, in a facetious manner, that he is making something that can be very simple into a much bigger problem. Just rip off the bandage.

green117green117almost 4 years ago
Humm....

Well, the protagonist, and the second/first woman, were rather unpleasant in my eye when you get to their section in this story.

As for the song, I always thought (a rereading the lyrics just now, still think) that the woman narrating most of it was a friend. The friend wanted to help, perhaps with benefits but other than that, I see the implied night with the friend as the way the protagonist broke the emotional bond with the ex.

Which makes the song sweeter, and yet a bit more profound, than a superficial take on it might lead you. Did the two stay together? Probably not - the woman was very circumspect, and that kind of thing does not suggest that she was all that emotionally vested. Are there friends who would do that for you? I suspect so, but haven't experienced it myself. So, the male in the song just found out the lover was going out on him? One of the possible reason to need to leave... you could even imagine that the lover in the song had just died from an illness - leaving could be required for non-prejudicial reasons.

YMMV

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Okay story

He certainly pissed in Jane's cornflakes. She didn't deserve that. Her parents did. Short but entertaining.

BaggyUKBaggyUKalmost 4 years ago
Short and

...bitter sweet. Excellent interpretation and a good tale, thank you.

26thNC26thNCalmost 4 years ago

Good one in a new genre for me. I like this onw, he may not be a lawyer, but he's devious and cold blooded as a shark.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Average

Could deal with the premise if the characters were half way engaging, but the women are on the periphery and he’s a douche of the highest order.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
So the asshole was just settling for Jane?

Then her father did her a favor.

Thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
A decent story

about a MC who is an asshole. He's bitching about a pre-nup when he was never really committed to the relationship at all.

And the new squeeze thinks this is just fine ? She's an asshole as well.

So I guess they both deserve each other, though a tale well told.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonalmost 4 years ago

Nobody likes a lawyer, especially when he's your father-in-law, or will be very soon. So any day involving a lawyer being hoisted by his own petard; that's a good day. That said, there weren't really any likable characters in this story, but I still enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I FEEL BAD FOR JANE.......

She seems the only innocent, non-asshole in this whole mess. The mc is a real DOUCHBAG. When his soulmate came back to town he should have been open and honest with Jane. Then he'd have the high moral ground. But that's not what he did. He put himself in the mud with his asshole potential father in law.

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 4 years ago
Agree with previous comment by anon

Jane was screwed over . Rest asses

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

Meh, another boring paint by numbers the so called elite, (self proclaimed) of lit. You all think you're fantastic, the best on here, think again, there are many better writers who are never allowed to contribute to 'events' that puff up the already overinflated EGOS of the so called elite.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Didn't Really Care

For this one, the only one I felt anything good for was Jane, I didn't see how she deserved what happened. As for Marvin Gaye's and the Eagles songs I'd rather suggest Roger Miller's 'I've Been A Long Time Leavin' (But I'll Be A Long Time Gone)', there's no ambiguity in that tune. Signed: BTW

green117green117almost 4 years ago
BTW

My interpretation of the 50 ways song seems to be the way Todd172 looked at it in "Gooseland".

God knows how he got from "Graceland" to "Gooseland", but there you go -

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Horrible people

Jason and Amanda are horrible people. May they be involved in a car crash and end up scared and crippled.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Interesting take. No one to love in this one.

The one who had the truly happy ending was Jane, and she is portrayed as weak rather than submissive. Her father did her a big favor getting her away from Jason.

For me, the more apt denouement would have revealed Jason and Amanda showing their true colors and cheating on each other. Better yet, only Amanda cheating and breaking him.

I have rarely seen such an unlikable protagonist, and I wonder about that. You clearly state that he admits he’s an asshole, but the story doesn’t enact any consequences for that. Your story, your circus, your monkeys, but it left me feeling yucky.

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago

well, all men are assholes to some extent, myself included. But Jason did good on the prenup but then again he didn't really love her. Seems he just loved her kinky side obviously thinking with wrong head nd even admits he would have wound cheating if he had married her. Kanda shallow and a definite asshole, sorry guys

tnoldguytnoldguyalmost 3 years ago

Just talk to her dad, lad …

Robcan57Robcan57over 1 year ago

The way I always heard the song, is like it was a friend trying to help another thru a break up. I didn't see it as they were the lovers, just close friends just sayin' 🙂

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

***Thanks for the read.

NitpicNitpicover 1 year ago
Somehow

Some how he should have let Jane's dad know how much ,he and his family were worth,to rub it in further.

Hardday1953Hardday19536 months ago

Your story makes me wonder, about my past situations in this regard, you mention the In-laws. They met me about two weeks before the wedding, and asked one question. How is my daughter in bed? Top that one for a father to say!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Clever Jason. He handled his finances lawyer father with the right amount of justice and finesse. Good move, and rewarded with a better family.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous