A Change of Heart

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

By midday they were in the car and on the way to Kendal to shop for clothes for Gracie. Bill was not an experienced shopper and was surprised at how many bags they collected, not just for Gracie but for Bill as well, Gracie feeling that he also needed some new clothes.

He took her to a restaurant he knew and they ate a leisurely dinner and then drove back to Grasmere.

It was obvious that their day out had taken its toll on Gracie so he helped her undress and made her a mug of hot chocolate and insisted she went to bed while he sat with a tumbler of his favourite whisky.

He mused at how much his life had changed since Gracie had turned up on his doorstep in her bedraggled wedding dress, angry, defiant, rude and now, after such a short time, gentle, considerate, loving and how he had changed as a result, now no longer obsessed with the hotel and the farm so that it took all his waking hours and thoughts, but more relaxed, knowing that however much she could exasperate him there was going to be no one else for him.

She stirred from her sleep.

"Bill, where are you? Bill?"

He went over to the bed.

"I'm here love."

"Well don't just sit there, undress and come to bed, I need you."

So he undressed and climbed in beside her, smiling to himself. Here was the old Gracie, impatient, demanding but so enticing.

She kissed him.

"Can we do spoons again love? I can't manage it any other way at the moment, but I do want you so much so go slowly, is that ok?" And so they made love, just gently, Bill moving in time with her and Gracie urging him on despite the pain in her ribs until they both released.

~~~

It was the day of Bill's thirty first birthday. As usual he woke early and he knew that amongst the birthday cards there would be a letter from his uncle's solicitors and he'd learn if he'd done well enough with the farm and hotel to inherit the house and estate. He was certain that he'd done enough and knew that he couldn't have done more but in a dark moment he imagined how the letter could read.

"Dear Mr Howard, I regret to inform you that you have failed to meet the terms of your late uncle's will and therefore the estate in its entirety will remain with the trustees.

You are therefore required to vacate the farm and The Red Lion Hotel within a period not exceeding sixty days.

Yours etc.

He shook his head to clear the thought from his mind but even so, he wanted to take what might be his last look at the farm and the hills and Westermere House, nestled in amongst the hills with the lake stretching away in the distance.

It was good daylight by 5am at this time of year and this far north it didn't really get dark at all, twilight softening into a purple glow from the north and then the first hints of morning edging in from the east. He fired up the quad and was soon high on the mountain with Jessie perched behind, checking the sheep, filling his lungs with the clear mountain air and being just overwhelmed with the beauty of the landscape.

At the highest reach of the farm, he switched off the quad and listened to the silence, broken only by the occasional bleat of a lamb searching for its mother, and tried to imaging his life without all that he could see before him but he couldn't, just as now he couldn't imagine his life without Gracie.

Jessie could sense his mood and was quiet, resting her head in his lap but a glance at the sky told him that time was passing and he really should get back to the hotel to help Gracie get washed and dressed.

He whistled for Jessie to circle wide to pull a couple of sheep back into the flock.

She's done alright on the farm he thought. I wonder if I have.

~~~

Gracie stirred, blinking against the morning sunlight breaking through a crack in the curtains and the lack of warmth beside her told her Bill was up already and would be on the hills with Jessie. She glanced at the bedside clock - almost seven - and she thought about getting up but after trying to kick the tangled sheets off the bed which made her ribs hurt, she decided she'd have a lie-in. Bill was sure to be back before too long, at least she hoped so, and in any case, she'd need his help washing and dressing. She gave herself a minute to come around properly and lay there thinking.

Today was Bill's birthday, the day he'd discover if he'd met the terms of his uncle's will, and she wondered if that would change their relationship. Of course, she knew about the clause in the will about Bill having to be married but after what the nurse at the hospital and Mary had said about Bill being something of a catch, he certainly wouldn't have any difficulty complying with the clause. Handsome Farmer Bill Howard, lord of the manor and filthy rich to boot, women would be throwing themselves at him so where did that leave her?

She knew without thinking that if Bill asked her to marry him, she'd say yes without any hesitation but supposing he didn't. What then? Could she stay here like this, living with Bill in a kind of limbo? She supposed that she could ask him, or at least suggest it, but that didn't seem right and supposing he said no? It was a very tricky situation but she thought that the best thing would be to carry on as they were for the time being and see what happened. In any case, married or not she wanted to be with Bill.

She decided to get up, wearing just the pyjamas and robe that she'd bought yesterday. Bathing could wait until later and she knew that Bill always showered when he came in for his breakfast so perhaps he'd help her as he'd done yesterday.

A knock on the door drew her attention and she opened the door, finding one of the staff holding the morning mail. He was rather taken aback at seeing her there and she smiled, taking the mail and shutting the door without saying more than a polite good morning.

It seemed that not everyone in the village knew about Bill's new lady friend and she was pleased, but guessed that now it would be all round the village before lunch.

She set the breakfast table by the window, placing his cards on one side and the more formal looking post in a second bundle a little further away. Her own card she tucked in amongst the others and then patted the pockets of her robe to make sure she had his present ready. She'd bought two presents, one a pair of gold cufflinks with their engraved initials intertwined and the other, a gold signet ring with the Westermere crest so she was ready for whatever the news was. If it was bad news well then she'd just give him the cufflinks with their initials and if it was good news then she'd give him both presents.

She set to grilling bacon and readying the pan to fry eggs.

Jessie's bark alerted her to them being home and it sounded so lovely as she mouthed the words to herself. Home, their home. It sounded so lovely. They're home and she'd got breakfast ready for Jessie, her favourite girl in the world, and her truly loved master. Jessie nosed the door open and after an eager lick and wobbly wag of her tail, she tucked in to her bowl of food. She could hear Bill kicking off his boots and she greeted him as he came in.

"Good morning love, Happy Birthday. Breakfast is ready when you are."

She took the plates to the table and didn't know whether she should sit or stand, wringing her hands as he watched Bill eyeing the post as if it were a bomb.

He looked up at her, smiling.

"Better get this over with hey?" and he sorted through the post until he found Gracie's card, opening it and smiling at her as he read the words.

"To the man I love from the woman who annoys you but will try to do better."

He went to grab her by the waist but stopped just in time.

"Ah yes, your ribs." So he stood and kissed her.

"Thank you. That's the sweetest card I've ever had."

He opened the other cards, explaining who the were from, one from the vicar, one from Martin at the police station, one from the staff at the hotel, and twenty or more from villagers and then his business mail until there was just one letter that remained unopened.

He looked at Gracie again.

"Better get it over with hey?" and standing, he opened the letter. The envelope was embossed with the name of the solicitors.

Clarke, Chasemore Associates, Solicitors, London.

There were two pieces of paper in the envelope, one crisp and new from the solicitors and one older and slightly faded.

He read them both and found himself crying and smiling at the same time.

Only his wonderful uncle would have thought of this and he loved and missed him now more than ever.

~~~

Clarke, Chasemore Associates, London.

In the matter of the Last Will and Testament of James William Alexander Howard, the late Lord Westermere.

Dear Mr Howard,

You will recall that under the terms of your late uncle's will you were required to submit annual accounts for The Red Lion Hotel, Grasmere and also for Home Farm, formerly part of the holdings of Westermere House which forms part of the estate of your late uncle.

There were two conditions attached to the will, the first concerning your successful management of the hotel and farm and the second which I will leave you to read for yourself in the enclosed letter which is addressed to you and is in your late uncle's hand.

I can tell you now that you have successfully met the financial conditions of the will and if you will be good enough to furnish us with evidence of compliance with the second condition we can proceed with the final execution of your uncle's will.

Yours sincerely

Michael Clarke

Clarke, Chasemore Associates, London

~~~

He looked at Gracie who'd been holding her breath, a smile spreading across his face

"Well, it looks as if I've done it. Better get you dressed; we're going for a ride.

He handed the first letter to Gracie for her to read and got up from the table, still holding his uncle's handwritten letter to him, the one with the second condition in it.

He tucked the letter into his jacket pocket and started to laugh. This was just so good. His lovely uncle had thought of everything.

"C'mon, we're going up to the old house. I want to read a letter to you. You'll like it."

"But I'm not dressed."

"It doesn't matter. Put on a jacket and we'll go in Jack's Volvo.

She laughed and smacked him playfully on his arm.

"Ha, No tricks hey?"

"I promise no tricks.

They set off out of the village on a road that Gracie didn't know.

"Where are we going? You promised no tricks."

"You'll see, just be patient."

They had soon left the village behind, following a road that didn't look as if it got much use with grass growing in the middle of it but as they rounded a bend, a magnificent gateway and lodge appeared at the start of a mile long avenues of trees.

Gracie gasped. "Oh my gosh, this is the proper way to the house isn't it, to Westermere House."

Bill said nothing, just smiled and drove along the avenue, finally parking in front of the house.

He opened Gracie's door.

"My Lady, if you please." And he led her to the steps of the portico where they sat.

He handed his uncle's letter to Gracie for her to read.

Dear William,

You'll be thirty-one when you read this letter and much will have changed in the world and in your life.

Although as I write to you I am still in good health I know that I won't be alive to see you grow from childhood to become a man but I have always believed that you will turn out to be a fine person, the kind of person I would have liked to have had as a son.

There was a girl that I wanted to marry but sadly she was killed in the war and I never found anyone else to replace her, nor did I want anyone else, but I was blessed with you as my nephew and it seems only fitting that you inherit all of my estate as my son would have done if I had been lucky enough to have one.

You will know that there are two conditions in my will, one financial and one more personal.

I have always believed that even if we are lucky enough to be born into wealth and privilege we should never take that for granted; rather we should see it as a fortunate duty to care for that wealth and good fortune so that we may pass it on to future generations. We are merely custodians while we live, but to be good custodians we need to be wise and mature enough to discharge our duties effectively.

I had some hard lessons during the two wars as did many and it is my hope that you will not have to grapple with anything so terrible. Nevertheless, challenges faced and overcome improve us all and so I gave you the task of running the hotel and farm so that you might better understand the vagaries of financial management and the importance of dedication and hard work.

The hotel will have given you the former and the farm the latter.

In reality, there were no financial hurdles for you to leap; I'm sure that my solicitors will have kept all the accounts that you sent to them but, unless for their own amusement, they won't have bothered to read them.

I knew it would be enough for you to believe that those hurdles were there for you to overcome and to that end the hotel and farm are yours to keep. I know that by now they will have become part of your life.

You see I have always had faith in you.

The second condition is however perhaps the more challenging of the two.

The house where I lived and where I spent such a happy childhood was never meant to be occupied by one old man. I did that for too many years and I think that is more than enough for one house to bear.

So William, it is my wish that to inherit the house and estate you should be married. My solicitors will need to see your marriage certificate before they can complete the execution of my will.

Make a good choice, as I believe I did. I only hope that you will be lucky enough to marry the girl you fall in love with. Sadly, for me, that was not to be.

With affectionate love,

Uncle James.

~~~

Gracie's eyes were full of tears.

"Oh Bill, that's just so lovely, so wonderful that your uncle had faith in you like this."

Bill smiled at her.

"Well, there is the little matter of there being a lady of the house."

He knelt on the step below her.

"Gracie, will you marry me?"

"Oh yes Bill, yes, yes, yes of course I'll marry you."

"Then you'd better try this for size." and from his jacket pocket he produced a small box and opened it to reveal a beautiful yellow diamond ring.

"Oh Bill, it's just so beautiful. Wherever did you get it?"

"It was last worn by my uncle's mother, my great aunt, the last Lady Westermere. I had it restored and sized while you were away in London as it seemed appropriate for the new Lady Westermere to have it as a sign of my love and the continuity of the family."

Gracie looked from the ring to Bill and then back at the ring again.

"You knew all along didn't you, you knew but didn't tell me."

"Yes I knew, but I had to know that you were certain too, that all this and me is what you really want and so here we are"

He glanced up the hill to the family chapel.

"And that's where we'll get married, in the family chapel. We could have a couple of marquees here on the lawn for the reception. What do you think?"

Gracie's brow was furrowed.

"When you said that the ring had belonged to your uncle's mother, your great aunt, the last Lady Westermere, what did you mean?"

"Well since my uncle never married there never was another Lady Westermere until now."

Gracie shook her head.

"I need to understand this. Are you saying that I'll be Lady Westermere because that would make you ..."

She paused, trying to clarify her thoughts.

"Are you saying that apart from your name Thomas William Fitzalan-Howard you're actually a Lord?"

"Well yes I am. Since I was the next male in line after my uncle died, I inherited the title so I'm Lord Fitzalan-Howard of Westermere and you'll be Lady Fitzalan-Howard of Westermere."

He smiled at her.

"You don't mind, do you?"

For the briefest moment Gracie looked petulant.

"But why didn't you tell me I mean ..."

He smiled again.

"Well, I don't really think about. You see, everyone calls me Bill."

They decided that Easter next year would be a good time for their wedding. The grounds of Westermere House would be a sea of daffodils, framed by the hills and the lake, and all the trees would be bright with their spring greenery.

Bill left the wedding arrangements to Gracie. She wanted her friends Annabelle and Jane as her bride's maids and invited them to stay at the hotel in the dark, damp days of November so they could plan the wedding and the guest list.

It was a much smaller guest list than that of her proposed marriage to Charles. Her family of course, a couple of Bill's friends from his army days, the nurse who'd looked after her while she was in hospital and the taxi driver who'd driven her to Grasmere, and his wife. It had required some detective work to track him down but a few discrete enquiries had found him.

And the villagers, all of them. They were, as Bill explained, all part of the family and it was only right that they had a chance to see who the newcomer was.

Their engagement had been announced in The Times.

"Miss Grace Elle Louise Granthom-Wesley, the only child of Sir Edward Granthom-Wesley and Lady Louise Granthom-Wesley of Fellows Park in Surrey is engaged to be married to Lord Thomas William Fitzalan-Howard of Westermere in Cumberland."

Gracie's mother was ecstatic knowing her daughter was marrying into the nobility. As she remarked to her friends on many an occasion "I never liked that Charles fellow, something devious about him, certainly not good enough for Gracie."

Later than evening after Gracie had gone to bed, Bill sat with a whisky thinking over the changes in his life the last month had made. Was it just fate, the intertwining of so many disparate threads that became woven into a glorious tapestry that was the future for him and Gracie?

Without her abrupt arrival he would almost certainly have just carried on as before, working on the farm and overseeing the hotel. It was a habit that would have been too difficult to break without something very dramatic happening and he marvelled at the chain of events that had brought them together, Gracie's change of heart, the taxi with the right driver at the right time, him being dumped by txt message and thus having a room ready, their arguments and reconciliations and then the almost tragic accident in the yard and the right nurse to look after Gracie and suggest that he was seen as a catch. A break in any one the links and the woman who was now his fiancée wouldn't be asleep in their bed upstairs.

He finished his whisky and went up to bed. Gracie stirred as he climbed in beside her. He could feel the warmth of her breath, zephyrs fluttering across his chest as Gracie breathed, the gentle weight of her pressed against him, his arm cradling her protectively, the room filled with the scent of her and her perfume.

And now as they lay here together, he knew that he was going to cling on to Gracie with all his strength just in case some other random force tried to split them apart.

Batter them as they may, the celestial winds wouldn't be blowing their house down.

As he drifted off to sleep his uncle came to mind. Perhaps he'd known something of this from the woman he had loved and lost.

What force had driven Gracie from her wedding into his life?

Perhaps, he thought, we're all just motes of being, constantly jostled hither and thither by unseen forces and every once in a while, we're lucky enough to collide with that one special person that makes our life complete.

Perhaps, wherever he was now, his uncle had had a hand in this.

If he did then he had given them the sweetest gift of all.

1...345678