A Crossing of Paths

Story Info
Jeff and Sandra get reacquainted after 20 years.
6.6k words
4.54
15.9k
8

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 02/06/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Windman1
Windman1
110 Followers

"Thirty six, thirty seven, thirty eight, thirty nine, forty. Ok, I'm good for another tv program." It's a deal I made with myself a few years ago traveling, hotel living is not conducive to staying in shape. Thirty minutes of tv equals 40 push-ups, It started as twenty.

The tv is just a diversion, an opportunity to zone out for a little bit before going to bed. I never have been one to hang out at the bars at night it seems in these small towns the wind turbine guys weren't always the most welcome guests in town. I suppose I cant blame them, this industry has its share of young rowdy guys looking to sew their oats and with the kind of money they made they sometimes acted like these towns owed them a good time. It can be a bad combination to be very young and have a lot of money and be too far from home.

Next week it will be the same routine in another town. And the week after that.

I have to say leaving the Texas panhandle in August to head for Alberta isn't a bad thing. I opted to drive this time. The last time I left my truck on a wind job the crew all but ruined it. Granted the sites are notorious for eating trucks alive. Still, I liked this one and didn't want to drive a rental, it's just easier having everything the way I like it. Besides it giving me the road time to relax some it also allowed me to hit a job in Montana after I left an equipment auction New Mexico on my way north.

****

"Welcome to Canada, what is the nature of your trip?" The boarder agent looked at my passport and then looked up at me. His expression blank, pleasant enough, but expressionless. Not a bad thing, having had to deal with an agent with a chip on his shoulder before I'll take expressionless every time.

"Business." I've learned to just answer questions, they will ask what they need to.

Forty five minutes later I was out the door and on my way north. I'm never offended by customs and immigration in fact I find it refreshing. Canada just wants to know what the benefit to Canada is by letting you in to work there. Simple.

This trip was like the last, the company I consulted for had started this job three weeks ago with another manager and it was in trouble all ready. It seems I was becoming the fix it guy. I was missing the days when I started a project from the start. I suppose being a bit of a perfectionist on the front end of these can be a little hard on the site managers, but it worked for me in that it held their feet to the fire in getting what I needed ahead of my crews so we weren't held up. I like to go fast, it works for my crews bonus's as well as mine. And really the site managers too in the long term if they are smart enough to recognize it. But increasingly they are lazy. These traveling gigs pay well because it's not easy getting people who are willing to be away from home as much as we are. The down side is it forces our customers to settle for help that is less than motivated sometimes. It's not a dynamic I'm willing to except. I've been responsible for more than one middle manager loosing his job. The upper management however loves us, we make them look good to the owners of these facilities and it helps them get the next job.

***

"Jeff it's good to see you, I'm glad you are here. I'm going to need to have a few minutes before tomorrow's production meeting. I don't want to blind side you in front of the owners reps.

"Can you give me about an hour? I'm on my way to the concrete plant and I'm going to need to check with them before I can commit to what you are going to want from me." I told her as I hugged her as a greeting.

Jennifer smiled as I answered her. We had worked together enough for her to know I would fix our problems and get the job back on track. She was the site project manager and was known as a bit of a ball buster if not a bitch. While we mostly got along well on these sites and had a mutual respect that the other was good at their job. The hug was an effort to get started off on the right foot with her and she knew it. I wasn't much of a pushover and it wasn't likely we were going to agree on the fix on this one. I knew enough about how this project started to know the delays were caused by her company not getting us approval of our submittal package. It was something we had now and she would have a short memory of why we were where we were.

The plant seemed to be ready. More than ready really, they were staffed up for 1000 yards a day and the delays meant they weren't producing enough concrete to cover their overhead.

In talking to the manager I assured him within a few days we would be at full swing.

I had an interview with a safety consultant in the morning and needed to talk to Jeniffer to make sure I was clear on what their expectations were. If I let them they would have me running their program at my expense.

The job I was supposed to hit tomorrow was going to have to wait a couple of days. I could see that already so I made my calls and and pushed those meetings off a few days.

***

"So as you can see Jeff, the room is looking at you for a boost in production." I can't say Jennifer didn't give me the heads up that this meeting would go this way, but as usual REV would use me as their scape goat if I let them. Not really Jen's fault if she was going to survive as a manager for them she would have to deflect much of the sites problems to someone else to remain looking good to their customer.

"Well as I see it roads are going to be the issue in short order..."

Jen cut me off mid sentence with a big smile. "You have 20 turbine sites available now and we will have roads to 10 more a week for the next three weeks..."

"My manpower is going to double the day after tomorrow." I winked at Jen with the eye the rest of the table couldn't see. "By next week I'll give you 15 foundations a week. Do the math, in 3 weeks we're going to have a problem. I'm going to need you to shift more resources to roads immediately if you want to catch our original schedule."

The rest of the meeting went the same way with a back and forth sparing between Jen and I. I tried not to come on too strong without letting her run over me. We spent some time after the meeting with the group going over the site plan so I could give her an idea the direction I wanted to site to develop. Ron the Bunker Energy Co. Representative was looking over our shoulder and took notes as he did.

Jen is a nice looking brown eyed brunette with a large rack that she loved to catch men looking at. Peripherally I could see her nipples were making an outline in her blouse, her posture seemed to straighten and she was beginning to move closer and make more eye contact and generally was bolder in her demeanor. It wouldn't be the first time she had used some sexual tension as a way of trying to intimidate me. Like the other times there was no acknowledgement of it from me. I stood my ground even brushing her breast with my forearm reaching up to mark the plan that hung on the wall outlining the roads I needed built first. I did get a sideways glance from her but it seemed to go un noticed by Ron.

On my way to my truck in the site office parking lot after the meeting Ron was walking fast to catch up with me. "Hey Jeff, pretty aggressive schedule you gave Jennifer in there. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it, but I have to warn you she'll ram that schedule up your ass if you can't make it happen." Ron is a guy not much older than myself with a bit of a Santa Clause appearance complete with the wire frame glasses, he seemed quiet in his approach to things so far, but he also struck me as wise man that was no ones fool. "Are you really going to be able to turn over 15 foundations a week?"

"That was a bit of a shot across the bow in there. I'll give her 15 foundations next week and 18 the week after and I'll keep that pace until she gets me what I need with the roads or I'll send the crew to another job and wait on them to build roads. This isn't my first rodeo with Jennifer and she knows I intend to do what I said I would."

"Well this will be fun to watch, you keep riding her." Ron chuckled at what he said realizing what it sounded like. I chuckled a little myself thinking he just might get the nickname "Bad Santa." We exchanged some small talk before I got into my truck to go back to the hotel.

I needed to return a few emails and had received a curious text from the owner of the company I was working for that indicated my plans for the upcoming week might change.

***

"Hey Richie I got your text what's going on? You indicated something about a change of plan?

"Jeff I know this isn't something you have done in a while but I need you to go out to a remote site for a look see to determine feasibility of a transmission line change. The environmentalists are involved and the previous route isn't going to work."

"Richie I haven't been out on a remote in years." I shot back.

"I know, but they want you. They know they will get the truth if you go. They need experience on this one. Charles called me himself." Charles was the director of wind development in Montreal, if he was involved this was turning into a big deal. "He trusts you Jeff, he knows if you say it can't be done then he has a problem. But if there is any way it can you'll know how."

"Give me the rundown, what does this entail?"

"Ok, but listen to the end before you say no, hear me out.

"Ok, ok." I laughed.

"They are going to send someone with you. They can do the grunt work, they just need you to over see it. They are thinking It will take a week if it all goes well with weather."

"Ok, well to the crux of it, what's the access? Is it drive able?"

"You know its not going to as easy as that. Its fly in. There will be a fully outfitted container dropped ahead of you. It'll have everything you need, including provisions, office/ and cooking amenities, solar and a generator with enough fuel for a month so you wont need to worry if the weather holds you up. Its a 40'er so you'll have plenty of space for gear.

They will have it set up before they fly you in. Also its a helo drop...harness static line the whole thing. there isnt enough flat area to land.

Ritchie knew what to expect before I even said anything. "You do remember I'm 60 years old right? Everyone thinks that being lowered out of a helicopter in a harness is easy. And it is, until it's not. The wind picks up and your swinging all over the damn place."

"I told them your rate is double what we usually pay you and they didn't even blink. I'll send you a list of what that container is outfitted with and you edit it however you want. The office is sending you a scope of work and plans. So what do you say? Are you in?

"I'll go." I started to wag my finger on the next part even though we were on the phone. "But I have the right to call it at any time. If the weather wont allow for a safe drop then we wait, if the weather looks like its going to be a problem in any way, they pick us up. If the help they are sending is a turd I have them picked up and they send someone else. Also they are going to need to fast track permits for a .45 caliber Glock, and what ever the other person wants I'm not going into grizzly bear territory with out one and I don't want the RCMP crawling up my ass if I get caught with it and don't have a permit."

"Jeff they want you up there in two days, I don't know..."

"Its deal breaker Ritchie, also get me that list today! Ritchie knows me well enough to recognize my tone when I'm serious."

"Ok I'll get things moving. I'll call you back."

***

"Sandra? What a surprise!" I was walking from my truck into REV's site office and spotted her leaning over into the open trunk of her car. We had somewhat of a history, we went out on a remote several years ago...more than several it was 20 years ago. She was a 25 year old very green tech and the trip didn't go well, among other things, a blizzard moved in and we were stranded for several days and wound up sleeping together for most of the trip. We stayed in touch for a while after but circumstances never had us in the same place at the same time. I hadn't seen her since.

"Jeff?! Oh my gosh!" She straightened up putting her things back in her trunk and wrapped her arms around me in a big hug, a long hug, the kind that had others in the area take notice.

"They have me going out on a remote, and...are you my guy?" She stopped and I could see a blush come over her and she closed her eyes for a second regretting how that sounded.

"What I meant to say is, did they team us up again on this one?" She was smiling but she was harder, or a little worn maybe. And I shouldn't talk, I'm 15 lbs heavier and I shaved what little hair was left on my head so yeah, I'm bald. And she did look great, the same in shape muscular thick Latina thighs and trim waist. At 25 she was a beast, she had a lot to learn but what she lacked in experience she made up with tenacity. Maybe it wasn't a worn thing I was seeing, it was a more experienced wiser woman than she was 20 years ago. At any rate I was glad to see her.

Certainly it was much better looking forward to the trip than with several others I could think of.

"I'm the one." I smiled wryly. I was trying to suppress the memory of her under me with her hands on my ass pulling me deeper into her wide spread legs. Snapping myself back into the moment, "Yes, you are stuck with this old guy." I shrugged my shoulders and reached into her trunk. "Can I help you with your things?" I picked up her pack while she grabbed her briefcase and a cup of coffee.

"Still the gentleman, eh?" She glanced at me with a smirk. It was a bit of a private joke we had between us several years ago about a speech mannerism Canadians have that evidently she still hasn't gotten use to.

"You two ready for the briefing?" Jennifer was alternately looking at Sandra and I. Her expression seemed to have a little puzzlement to it that I didn't acknowledge. "Since it seems you already know each other I'll skip the introductions and we can get right into the disclosures you need to sign along with a no competition clause..."

"I don't sign any of those, my contract is clear where we are with all of this, I work for other developers and if thats a...

"Jeff why do you have to be such a hard ass?" I looked over to the doorway of Jen's office to see Charles with his suit and tie coming through with a big grin on his face. Shaking my hand he looked at Jen "He's not going to sign those, the prick. You might as well throw them away.

Jeff its been a while how's the world treating you?"

"You know I can't complain Charles, Vacationing in remote wilderness areas. Life is good."

"Hey that Sikorsky just dropped off the container and is on its way here now. You two need to get to pad 36 asap. The guys are setting up the container now and the bird will pick them up when they drop you off. Get me the right answers on this Jeff, I need that transmission line on that route."

"You know if it can we'll figure it out." I didn't give him any reassurance beyond that. Ive learned to keep my mouth shut until I know what I need to.

***

"You must be living right, I haven't had that smooth of chopper ride I don't think ever." Sandra was taking off her harness while she said it. We watched the Sikorsky fade into the distance along with the crew that set us up. there was snow but not a lot of it, mostly on the north side of things. It was cold but not terrible cold, I guessed it at 20 degrees fahrenheit. this was good news being in August.

We spent the rest of the day getting set up and inventorying the gear. I was a little worried about things being awkward between us given our history but it wasn't. Neither of us mentioned what had taken place. I didn't assume anything in terms repeating our past. Our age difference last time wasn't even a thing, what happened just seemed natural and not forced. But now, I'm sixty and she is an attractive forty five year old woman in her prime its not likely she would have any interest. When you are in this kind of circumstance you will either click or you just stay focused on business or things will be strained.

You are together all the time, you eat, sleep, shower and work much of the time in the same room as your partner. The 40' long container really only has two rooms, the equipment room and the rest of it. And the rest of it is office, kitchen and bedroom with two queen sized beds one over the other and a small couch. The last thing I wanted to do was make a mistake and go into this thinking we would have a repeat of our last time.

"Listen, I think its smart to not get careless and go out un prepared. You should have a 45 cal sidearm in your personal items. I have the same. We need to have them with us at all times, in addition there is a 308 with a scope in the locker along with a 12 ga with 00 buck and some sabots." Sandra wasn't surprised by any of our preparations and was putting on a thigh holster as I was talking to her about it. She loaded two magazines and slid one into the Glock and the other in her belt. We were in grizzly bear country, but the moose were actually a bigger threat. They kill more people every year. It wasn't likely we would have a problem but the region dictated we should be prepared.

"I remember last time and have spent a little time at the range for a tuneup I've not forgotten where we are." She then looked up and smiled " You are in good hands old man." She let out a little giggle amused by my expression.

"Ouch! And here I thought of myself as mature...or vintage, yeah, vintage sounds better." We both laughed. "Last time we were here I was reasonably sure I could out run you, and I could still probably give you a run for your money with a bear on my ass." I laughed.

"Its a good thing this girl can shoot then..." Sandra winked at me when she said it. "...wounded you wouldn't stand a chance."

"You know, I remember you being a lot nicer." I laughed.

"I'm still the nice girl you remember." She had that same sexy smirk she had 20 years ago. "Don't worry I'll shoot the bear... this time." I had geared up the same as Sandra had and we were outside unlocking the equipment end of the container. There was a small mini excavator I wanted to check, I had asked for a auger attachment to do some test bores, it would be easier than trying to scratch through the frost than with a standard bucket. I also wanted to do some grading with it to give us a little more flat area on this slope we were perched on. Opening the door we both started to go in at the same time and found ourselves sandwiched between the partially open doors face to face. We both had on our insulated bib overalls, it was a little like two Michlen men bumping into each other, we both found it funny and she said "Age before beauty." And she swatted me on the butt as I walked in front of her. I quickened my step and laughed. She laughed also. I remembered Sandra being playful as we did our work last time we were together. She also had a thoughtful and serious side. but over all she was very easy to be with.

My mind went back to the night the weather moved in 20 years ago. She was shaken by it and it became real to her how isolated we were and subject to the weather. She crawled into my bed that night because she said she was scared and cold. I tried my best to behave my self. And I did...for a couple of hours. I didn't want to presume this trip would workout as the last one did. The last thing I wanted to do was make things awkward between us.

Sandra brought me back to the present saying, "I have some ideas about what they want us to do here. My understanding is they are looking to see if the permafrost is deep enough to withstand the rigors of construction right?"

"That's basically it." They want to know the feasibility of putting the transmission line in through here. Permanent frost is a big part of that, if it goes through a spring thaw thats going to be a problem. It's August and if it's still frozen now then it won't be a problem. Rock is an issue also but less of one, that can be dealt with.

Windman1
Windman1
110 Followers
12