A Dragon's Tale Ch. 29

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Talking birds?"

The blonde laughed. "No silly, birds can't talk. But some mages can see through other animal's eyes."

"Ah."

Alana nodded. "Long story short, Ethan wants to know how people from his world are here, and if they're a threat. He's a bit worried about what that could mean."

"He's not the only one." She agreed. "The men who sent me here aren't exactly good people."

"Let me guess." The brunette offered, and she shuddered slightly as she spoke. "One of them was thin, wiry, creepy, and had black eyes?"

"You met him?"

"Sort of; he tried to kill my husband." She said setting her jaw. "He's a necromancer, and they are bad news."

"Necromancers are bad news?" Selene frowned. "But didn't you use some kind of 'death magic' to open that portal?"

"We would never!" The blonde said vehemently. Honestly, she looked a little offended at the suggestion.

"Never ever." The brunette nodded with conviction.

"Then how do portals work?" The ex-FBI agent asked.

Beth and Alana looked at each other for a moment and then the brunette spoke. "Tell you what, we'll give you the short version of how we came to be on Earth, and then you can give us the short version of how you came to the ten Kingdoms. Deal?"

She nodded. "Deal."

* * *

Kendra found it very interesting walking behind Ethan, Rachel, and Taloni as they headed towards the Nalatia docks. They weren't being overtly affectionate, but there was something about the way they looked at each other and how they walked closely together that was both endearing and nauseating. Endearing because she wanted that same thing someday; nauseating because she occasionally imagined doing that with him and it made her want to puke.

It took half the walk for her to realize that she was walking behind him. He had voluntarily turned his back to her and didn't seem concerned at all that she might try something. For some reason, that seemed significant. She wouldn't try anything of course, but mostly because of how Taloni would feel if something happened to him.

But even as she thought that, she knew it wasn't just because of Taloni.

Not anymore.

She wouldn't do anything to Ethan because he was a good dragon. Those two words 'good dragon' didn't seem like they belonged together, but apparently they could. Having confirmed his story with everyone she could think of, it seemed like him telling two of his wives to go help someone -- even when he hated being away from them -- was very in character for the dragon. She wasn't sure why, but for some reason she wasn't surprised at all. It was strange that she wasn't surprised by a dragon being selfless though.

She wasn't sure what to make of that.

She was so deep in thought that she nearly walked into them when they stopped.

She looked around and realized that there were a lot more guards around the docks than when she had arrived. When she'd arrived, there were a few scattered throughout just to remind people to behave. Now, that number had at least doubled; possibly tripled. A cluster of three guards had approached their group, barring their way as the men looked back and forth between Taloni and Rachel, as if trying to decide something.

Finally, the lead guard spoke to the redhead, as the Fey was hiding behind her husband slightly. "Hail, dishonored companion of the honored dragon."

Given the guards' job, it wasn't considered improper for them to address a dishonored person. However, proper wood elven etiquette dictated that the guards didn't confer honor where none was intended, hence him calling Rachel dishonored.

Ethan -- whose disguise gem was still active -- growled low in his throat at the word 'dishonored'.

"It's okay." Rachel said gently touching his arm.

The lead guard eyed the disguised dragon for a moment, then the way Taloni was clinging to him, then the gentle but affectionate way Rachel touched his arm. The lead guard raised one hand and moved through the air as if feeling for something he couldn't see.

Moments later, he addressed Ethan with a low bow. "I beg your pardon, but would you be the honored dragon altering his appearance with a disguise gem?"

His disguise gem clicked off and he rose to his full height, towering over the shorter wood elven guards, his sharp teeth were visible and his claws partially slid from their sheaths. "Speak to Rachel that way again and I'll have your tongue." He growled.

The guards took an involuntary step back.

Several others came running up.

"Honored dragon." One of them said. "The King requires your presence. He has instructed us to scour this fair city in search of you."

Ethan didn't looked pleased. In fact, there was more dragon about him than Kendra had usually seen outside of battle. "He should've instructed you to treat my wives better." He growled at the newcomers too, then his face twisted into a mask of devious malevolence. "When you dishonor my wives, you dishonor me."

That had an effect.

As one, the guards eye's flicked down just slightly, not meeting his. They hadn't dropped their guard in the slightest, but now they looked at his chest not his eyes.

He had shamed them.

She wasn't sure if he was being incredibly clever and had good political instincts, or merely got lucky; but that was a masterstroke. Word of this would spread through the guards like wildfire. By the end of the day, not one guard in Nalatia would dare to speak so much as a disparaging comment about his wives. She imagined it would filter up to the nobles shortly thereafter. That was how this honor cultures worked; everything important was said behind the scenes, so everyone knew what was expected in public...

...but he had called them out publicly.

No one did that.

Word of his bold, brazen words would spread, ensuring that no one said anything even remotely disparaging about Ethan's wives in his presence again for fear of being called out like the guards had been. The nobles still wouldn't speak to them directly or use their names, but no one would even hint that they were dishonored again. Not in Ethan's presence anyway. Again, she wasn't sure if it was good political instincts or simply dumb luck.

"Our most humble apologies honored dragon." The lead guard said with a deep and remorseful bow. "It will not happen again."

"I'm not the only one who deserves an apology." Ethan pressed, his draconic body language making it clear this this was not optional.

The guard gulped, then turned to Rachel. "My deepest apologies, companion of the honored dragon; it shall not happen again."

The dragon let out another low growl before apparently deeming that acceptable, then he stalked forward.

None impeded his progress.

However, half a dozen of them did fall into step behind him, fanning out in what was undeniably a protective fashion around the group, including herself. After several steps, he glanced behind him, apparently noticing this.

"What are you doing?" He growled.

"Apologies honored dragon." The lead guard said with a bow. "The King has instructed us to provide you with a personal guard to protect you once you were found. Where you go, we go. Where you stay, we will stay. Your enemies shall be our enemies, and it would be our honor to lay down our lives for the revered prophet of Illuminar -- blessed be He."

"I'm not..." Ethan sighed, then stopped.

Kendra could tell that Ethan was back. All hint of draconic mannerisms were gone, leaving the man clad in a dragon's body behind. It was strange to see how he could go from one to the other so quickly. She got the distinct impression that his dragon side being so prominent was new. He hadn't seemed to let out his dragon side as much before.

"Thank you." He finally said in response. "I appreciate it."

Kendra noticed Rachel give him a little nudge and then whispered something in his ear; apparently she hadn't linked up to him telepathically yet.

Ethan nodded then turned to the guards. "I'm honored to have your protection." He said with a respectful bow of his head.

She could almost see the guards' hearts swell as they stood almost imperceptibly straighter. "Should we take you to the King?"

"No." He replied. "I have a pressing engagement elsewhere."

The dragon huntress resisted the urge to chuckle. The guards didn't seem to know what to do with that statement.

"Honored dragon--" The lead guard said, but didn't seem to know how to finish the sentence. "The King was most distraught by your disappearance and he urgently requires your presence."

"I will be leaving Nalatia, but I can return in less than a week." He replied. Taloni gave him a look that Kendra recognized as more telepathic talking, and then he added. "But I would be honored if you would escort me to the airship."

The guards looked back and forth at each other for several seconds, clearly unsure what to do. Finally the lead guard nodded. "We shall inform the King of your departure and guard you until you depart."

* * *

Alana carefully watched Selene as she told her story, looking for any hint that she was lying. She wasn't an expert at discerning honesty, but her story did seem to have the ring of truth. Nothing about her expression or body language made her seem dishonest either. Unsure and cautious yes, but not dishonest. Beth had run around the inn in spirit form before they had left the Argo and she saw nothing out of place, except perhaps a sword being stored in a tiny bedroom.

"Ethan will want to hear this story, and from your own lips." She said when the ex-FBI agent had finished. "We came here to offer you a ride; an escape if you need it. Plus, we do have a portal that can return you to Earth if you come with us. It might be some time before we can take you to it though."

"Thank you, but can you wait until later tonight? I hate to quit in the middle of a shift." She replied. "Plus, I'd like to say goodbye to a friend before I leave."

"We understand that." Beth replied with a smile.

"We'll be on the airship." Alana said. "Just climb the ladder when you're ready to leave."

Selene nodded thoughtfully, then got a smile. "Actually, do you want to come into the inn for a bit? I know someone who would be very happy to meet you."

Intrigued, Alana and Beth both nodded.

* * *

Sarah leaned down to inspect her newest herb plant, hoping to make the smallest possible prune. She'd been hoping it would perk up with the recent rain, but her newest addition to her garden was very small and weak, and was growing faster than was healthy.

"I'm sorry this will hurt, but it will be best for you in the long run." She whispered to the tiny plant as she got closer with her little scissors. She made the smallest possible snip she could and caught the fallen sprig of the plant carefully.

"There, now you should do better." She smiled. She didn't much like pruning, but knew the plant would struggle and might not survive if she didn't.

She then looked up into the sky. "Dear Illuminar -- blessed be you -- please help this little plant to grow healthy and strong, and please make me a good caretaker for it." She smiled, then her expression fell slightly as she added. "And please make me good."

She crawled out from under the little cage she'd made to protect her plants from the various animals nearby and then took a short walk to where she knew there was a rabbit hole. She set the newly-pruned sprig of the plant just in front of the rabbit hole and then walked several steps away, waiting.

It wasn't long before the little rabbit poked her head up.

"I brought you something for your babies." Sarah said.

The rabbit's ears perked up, but it didn't run. It sniffed the air and took a small step forward to grab the little sprig and then disappeared again. The innkeeper's daughter smiled, happy that her sprig would be feeding the rabbit's very cute babies. She looked down at her own stomach, wondering what it would be like to carry babies of her own.

She sighed, supposing that it wouldn't be long.

Rindrin had been clear that he wanted to have children. She wanted them too, but didn't think he was likely to be a very tender lover. He was a good man and honest. No one had ever accused him of being dishonest and everyone had a high opinion of his character. He might be gruff, and harsh, and a little insensitive, and he was mostly marrying her so she could have his children, but she supposed she would never be able to marry better and should try to be happy with him.

She stood and started walking back to the inn.

The sun was getting lower and she'd need to start dinner soon. Her father had sent Selene out to attract new customers, and she wished she was beautiful enough to do that. She'd always wanted to be.

She retreated into her head as she walked, imagining that she was very beautiful and perhaps the dragon -- a real prophet of Illuminar -- would pass through their little outpost. He would see her, and rescue her from her problem. She daydreamed that he would be so entranced by her beauty that he would want to marry her. He would be such a good man, and she would do everything she could to be a good wife to him. Further, in her fantasy she would get along so perfectly with his other wives that they wouldn't even be mean to her. They might even be nice to her occasionally; even as nice to her as Selene was all the time.

She sighed.

That would be a perfect life.

It was a pleasant fantasy that she often indulged in of late, but she wouldn't be able to after her wedding. Doing so wouldn't be fair to Rindrin.

"Sarah!" Selene's pretty voice called loudly from the inn. She was so beautiful and had a pretty voice. "Sarah, there's some people here I think you'll want to meet!"

"Coming!" She called back, quickening her pace.

As she cleared the woods, she noticed a sleek airship anchored just over the town. It had happened before, but rarely more than once or twice a year. Mostly it happened because some traveling merchants needed something fixed by the blacksmith.

Selene was standing at the corner of the inn with two women next to her, both of which whom looked slightly confused. One was wood elf with chocolate brown hair and a green dress, the other was a young blonde with fantastically long legs and a pretty royal blue dress.

Sarah broke into a smile as she walked closer. "You're both so pretty." She gushed, wishing she could be that pretty.

"Thank you." The elf said, looking pleased but slightly embarrassed.

"Aww, thanks." The blonde said, looking much the same way.

"Sarah, I thought you'd really like to meet these two women; their names are Alana and Beth..." Selene indicated each in turn.

It took a moment for the girl's brain to catch up to what she'd just heard and seen. A wood elf in a green dress... a sleek airship overhead... and the latest rumors from Nalatia said the dragon had a wife who was blonde and wore a royal blue dress...

She inhaled sharply and covered her mouth.

"... Alana and Beth Ejder." Selene finished her sentence with an anticipatory smile.

"You... you're..." Sarah's brain failed her. She would've wanted to kick herself for freezing up so much if her mind was working at normal speed. Right now, it seemed to have frozen slightly. Was she actually meeting... Were they actually... in her outpost...?

"Wow." She finally got out.

Selene chuckled and turned to the dragon's wives. "She's very careful to keep up on all the local gossip about Ethan."

"There's that much gossip about him?" Alana asked seeming surprised

Selene nodded. "I was surprised too, but half the people who come through here either have news about him or ask about news of him. He seems to be a local folk hero."

"Is he...?" Sarah flicked her eyes up to the airship floating overhead.

"No, he's... elsewhere." Beth replied.

"Oh." Sarah felt her heart sink just a hair, but still couldn't believe she was actually talking to the two of the dragon's wives.

"So, what do the stories say?" The blonde asked, and the innkeeper's daughter got the sense she was a curious person.

"That he's amazing!" Sarah exclaimed. "He fought over a hundred men in The Arena and-- well, you must know."

The wood elf nodded, exhaling slowly. "I won't ever forget. I think I aged fifty years that day."

"Oh, right; he's your husband and I didn't think..." She said mentally kicking herself.

"It's okay." Beth chuckled.

"You're both so nice, and so pretty." The innkeeper's daughter said. She'd never imagined in her wildest dreams the dragon's wives would be this lovely.

Beth smiled. "You remind me a certain Fey girl I know; so sweet you'd melt if you got wet."

"She does indeed." Alana nodded.

Selene and Sarah looked at them quizzically.

"His third wife, Taloni." Alana explained. "She's super nice and sweet. You remind me of her." She finished nodding to Sarah.

"I do?" She beamed.

"You do." The blonde replied.

"Let me make dinner for you!" Sarah exclaimed before she could stop herself.

"Uh..." Alana hesitated.

"I mean, you don't have to." Sarah said feeling slightly bashful. "But you've done so much for this land already, please let me say 'thank you' for all the people you've helped, and all the people you've given hope."

"Um, okay." The wood elf replied, looking slightly sheepish but very pleased.

"We would be honored." The blonde added, her expression much like the brunette's.

"I need to stay until after dinner anyway." Selene said. I can't quit a job in the middle of a shift."

"And I'll put out the good wine." Sarah continued, excited to be able to do something for the dragon's wives. They were so nice; nicer than she had imagined they would be. She was slightly sad that her fantasy now seemed even more impossible though. After all, why would a man ever be interested in her when he had such lovely women already?

Beth nudged Alana at the mention of wine.

"I'll pass on the wine, but thank you very much." The wood elf said.

"Oh. Okay." The girl nodded, not sure why.

At her expression, the wood elf leaned in and whispered. "Can you keep a secret?"

She nodded vigorously.

The dragon's lovely first wife put her hand over her stomach. "There's a good reason I haven't been drinking much wine these days..."

Sarah covered her mouth with her hand and nearly jumped for joy.

* * *

"This is going to be tight." Ethan mused as he looked at Kendra's airship. He'd thought of it as 'canoe-sized' and he wasn't far off. The four of them could fit, but again it would be tight. If two laid down aft of the mast and two fore of the mast, they could probably even sleep laying down. The airship certainly wasn't wide enough to allow anything else.

"You'll be fine." Kendra said hopping in.

Her mood and expression wasn't exactly unfriendly, but he wouldn't call it friendly either. She was aloof, but not biting anymore. He supposed that was something at least. The dragon huntress rearranged several things to make four places to sit and stowed the sack of dragon skin and the satchel of dragon scales. It would be tight, but it would work. By leaning back, those places to sit could be used to sleep in too.

When she was done, he, Taloni, and Rachel followed her onto the airship, sitting where she'd made room. His Fey bride of course sat next to Kendra, while the beautiful redhead sat next to him.

"Honored dragon." The lead guard said. "We shall await your return here."

"Actually, I'll be coming back on the Argo."

"Then we shall inform the dock master and keep your birth open, or open it if it's occupied." He said with a bow. "You may use the same flag of passage so nothing need delay your return."

"Thank you, you... uh, do me great honor." He said, not sure exactly how to phrase it.

The guard bowed low.

"We're off then." Kendra said, and the ship started floating upwards. He imagined it might rise much faster without the three extra people it contained.