A Dragon's Tale Ch. 29

Story Info
"...nor iron bars a cage".
21.7k words
4.9
26.3k
64

Part 29 of the 57 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 07/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers

***I self-edit and admit editing isn't my greatest skill. I apologize in advance for anything I missed.***

CHAPTER 29:...nor iron bars a cage

* * *

Leaning on the Argo's railing and looking out over the verdant green hills lit by the late afternoon sun, Alana smiled as her heart grew lighter. Her husband and fellow wives had escaped and it seemed like they were safe in their escape. She still missed him terribly, but just knowing that he was okay and that she'd be seeing him soon made a huge difference. Her heart ached for him and for her best friend, who thankfully had finally married her husband.

It was about time.

She was hoping she might get to be present on the couple's wedding night, but knew that Rachel might not be comfortable with that. Even if she was, Ethan might want her to himself for a night. Every woman deserved a wedding night; she had certainly enjoyed hers. She resolved to fully enjoy the gorgeous Ivernian landscape before her.

She sighed contentedly as she gazed at it.

"I know what you mean." Beth said walking up to lean on the railing beside her. The lovely blonde was right next to her so they were gently touching; it was an affectionate move that the wood elf appreciated.

"I can't believe how pretty this land is." She said running her hands through her chocolate hair. "I think I'll ask Ethan if we can all settle down here eventually."

Beth frowned. "I agree, but it's Lord Farbrottan's land."

Alana let her shoulders slump. "What's that expression that Ethan sometimes uses? 'Every paradise has its serpent' or something like that?"

"Sounds right." The blonde nodded. "I wouldn't mind moving here, and much of my father's southern border abuts Ivernia's northern one."

"Ivernia." The wood elf smiled. "It's a pretty name for such pretty country."

"Agreed."

The wood elf looked down to see a bubbling brook feeding into a pond in the middle of a clump of trees. Nearby, there were cows grazing in a pasture and chickens running hither and thither foraging for bugs and other things. It was idyllic.

"You know, it had occurred to me many times that we could turn the Argo around and go back to Nalatia to wait until they've escaped." Beth said almost guiltily.

"It had occurred to me too, but..." She sighed. "As much as I want to see Ethan, this is what he asked us to do. He didn't make the suggestion, but he definitely wanted us to go help Selene and investigate why she's here. Until he tells me otherwise, that's what I'm going to do."

Beth looked at her. "How do I get to be like that?"

"Like what?"

"You're such a strong woman, but you're gentle too." The blonde replied. "You're so competent and you're carrying on without Ethan here; I feel like I'd give anything to just to see him right now."

"I know how you feel." The wood elf admitted. "But I think part of being a good wife is supporting your husband even when there's something else you'd rather do. We'll arrive at the inn in a few minutes, so it makes no sense to turn around now."

"I wish you weren't right; I miss him."

Alana gave her an understanding nudge with her shoulder. "So do I dear girl, so do I."

* * *

"That's disgusting." Kendra heard herself say as she looked at the strange half-man, half dragon corpse. She was tempted to add that the sight was less nauseating than seeing Ethan be affectionate with his wives, but resisted.

"You'll get no argument here." Ethan replied as they surveyed the strange corpse before them.

"There's more." The dragon huntress said, nodding to a far corner of the room.

On the far side of this second room were about a half dozen other specimens similar to the one in the middle of the room. The one they'd seen first was the least draconic. The rest appeared to be in more advanced stages of transformation, but none was complete. They all looked like they had died in excruciating agony though. There was also a general trend. They were clearly getting more like dragon-like with each successive iteration.

"That shouldn't be possible." Rachel said, looking a bit green around the gills. "Transfiguration is doable, but incredibly hard and no one does it on living creatures because it always kills the creature. Plus it takes a ton of mana. To transform a living being like this, and a man at that..." She sucked in her breath through her teeth and shook her head.

Kendra felt a not insignificant amount of revulsion at the idea that someone was turning men into dragons. It was a perversion of everything that she held sacred, especially the dividing line between dragons and men; that at least should be inviolable.

"It looks like they were keeping a dragon here too." Ethan nodded towards a cage, around which appeared to be a few random scorch marks on the wooden walls.

"Yeah, 'were' is right." Rachel pointed to a rather large bloodstain inside the cage. It didn't look to be that old, but neither was it fresh and wet.

Kendra frowned.

For a long time, her instinctive reaction to seeing evidence of a dragon's demise had been to smile. This time though, she didn't. While she certainly wasn't sad about it, it didn't give her the sense of joy it once had.

Hmm.

Curious.

"Come on, we can't stay here all day." Ethan finally said and turned to leave.

Kendra followed him out of the room, only realizing after she did that she appeared to have a real problem with following commands given by this particular dragon. That didn't sit well with her, especially since she could see their bond slowly growing in strength. That was despite the additional reinforcements that she'd added to her mental fortress to keep him out of her head.

She did what little she could to make her defenses even stronger.

"Okay, one more room." He said as he tried to open it. It was locked.

"Allow me." Kendra said while activating her strength enhancing vambraces. A few moments later, the lock gave. The action probably made her look super strong, but the lock was pretty flimsy. It was probably more to stop guards from snooping than to offer any real security.

The room was quite small and looked like it was used more for storage than anything else. It was nearly empty of contents except for...

Kendra's jaw dropped as her eyes widened.

Behind her, Rachel gave a low whistle.

The dragon huntress couldn't believe her eyes and her mouth curved upwards into her first real smile since... since her last hug from Taloni.

Jackpot!

* * *

Selene sighed as she stood where the two roads met at the outpost. As usual, her boss had sent her outside to use her beauty to attract customers. It worked, at least according to Sarah. Apparently they'd had a few more people than normal stay at the inn since the Brazilian woman had started. Most wanted to pass right by without so much as looking at the inn, but the rest didn't take much convincing.

She sighed again.

She didn't like being a glorified lawn ornament and using her face and body to attract customers. A part of her felt dirty for doing so -- like she was barely better than a prostitute -- but it worked and she certainly wasn't doing anything sexual. She shook her head as a large shadow crossed the earth nearby. She looked up and her jaw dropped.

It was an airship.

She had heard Hailey describe them, but seeing one in person was just incredible. It was about one hundred feet long and sixteen feet wide. It had two masts; one above the hull and one below it. Both had large square sails that were currently being pulled up. There was a large triangular jib forward of the main sails, both top and bottom, and both of those were also being furled. Likewise, the gaff-rigged spanker sails -- both top and bottom -- were also being rolled. There was another set of sails -- top and bottom -- at the back too, but they seemed to function more as a sail-based 'rudder' than anything else.

The airship was sleek and looked fast too. It drifted over the outpost, eventually letting down an anchor to stop and hover overhead.

As she watched, she saw a familiar face peek over the railing of the airship; a face framed by chocolate brown hair and complimented by pointed ears.

Selene's jaw dropped.

* * *

"Uh, what's so surprising?" Ethan asked, looking at the expression on Kendra and Rachel's faces.

"That's..." Rachel glanced at the dragon huntress. "Is that what I think it is?"

"It is." Kendra nodded. "She must've been storing it here while it cured; but it's clearly done."

"What's the big deal?" Ethan asked. "It's just an animal skin."

It was indeed just that. Held to a frame clearly intended for this purpose was an animal skin. It was held in many places why what looked like strong clothespins and stretched out on the frame. Just in front of it on the floor was a large leather bag that was filled with medium grey scales of some kind.

"It's not just any animal skin; that's dragon leather." The dragon huntress said confidently.

He grimaced. "I guess we know what happened to the dragon that was in the other room then." As he looked at the skin, he realized that she was right and it could hardly be anything else; not with the wings and tail.

"Yeah." Kendra said absent-mindedly. "I'm going to see if I can find a sack or something to carry it in."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because this isdragon leather." She said like he was being stupid.

She did that a lot.

"I think she's right; we shouldn't leave this behind." Rachel said. "Dragon leather is the best leather in existence for enchanting, and it's worth a fortune too."

"I've got no problem relieving Lady Ekthros of it then." He grinned. "So, should we take those dragon scales as well?"

"Oh Illuminar, I didn't see..." Kendra breathed, then she frowned slightly and gave him a strange look.

"What?"

"Finding this can't be..." She cocked her head to one side. "Rachel said that Lady Ekthros stored things throughout the Ten Kingdoms, but to find this with so little protection? Do you realize how much all this is worth?"

"No idea." He shrugged.

"Master, this is more wealth than I've ever seen in my life, and I grew up in a gold mine." Taloni was right behind him, leaning against him for either comfort or closeness; he wasn't sure which.

"Armor." Rachel suddenly interjected, then looked at him. "Ethan, it looks like this dragon was slightly larger than you are, meaning this is enough dragon leather to make you a full suit of armor."

"I could certainly use some." He said, thinking back to the various fights in which he'd been injured, which was nearly all of them. "What would we do with the scales though?"

"Weapons." Kendra replied without hesitation. "Dragon steel is naturally stronger and harder than regular steel, and a bit lighter too. When properly forged, it can make a very potent blade. And then it can be enchanted..."

"Okay, I'll carry the scales." Ethan said. "Who wants to get the hide?"

A minute later, Kendra found a sack, Rachel carefully folded the dragon leather into it, and then the mage slung it over her shoulder. Ethan closed the leather satchel of dragon scales and got a firm grip on it, and they were ready to go.

Unfortunately, he still hadn't seen the remains of his spear.

He still couldn't feel it when he tried to call it, so he assumed they must have destroyed it, even despite the self-repairing enchantment that Alana had put on it. He supposed that wasn't much of a problem for an arch mage though. He did wonder why they hadn't destroyed his war hammer too, but guessed that maybe it was because he'd used it to channel lightning. If someone wanted to reverse engineer how he did it, it would probably be handy to have around.

Not long after, they found the exit, he activated his disguise gem, and they all walked out onto the streets of Nalatia.

Oddly, their prison hadn't been tucked away into a remote corner of the city. They were clearly in a busier region and it looked like a middle-class business district made of sophisticated tree houses. He assumed they must've knocked out the dragon and carried him in inside a crate of some kind, otherwise someone would've seen him.

"Should we alert the guards?" He thought aloud as he considered what was in the building.

"Make sure I'm gone first." Kendra rolled her eyes. "You want to get caught explaining the dead men and half-transfigured dragons?"

Rachel gave Kendra a look, but spoke to Ethan. "She's probably right."

"Okay, then let's get going." He nodded.

"Well, it's been fun." Kendra said dryly. "See you all later."

"You're leaving?" Taloni asked looking heartbroken.

"I came here to apologize, which I did." She shrugged looking determinedly casual. "I do have my own life to live you know."

The Fey frowned, then eyed the dragon huntress in a kind and sympathetic but piercing way. "Kendra, is that the real reason, or do you just want to get away from Ethan because you feel guilty that you attacked him so many times?"

That question was followed by an awkward silence.

Very awkward.

"You don't have to feel guilty." Taloni continued. "He forgave you, and so he won't make you feel bad. Right master?" She looked at him.

"I won't." He agreed, not really having room to say anything else.

"You don't have to go, you can stay with us." The Fey continued hopefully.

Kendra seemed to mull that over for several seconds before shaking her head. "No, not now. I..." She hesitated. "Well, you have your path and I have mine."

Taloni's shoulders slumped, but she nodded. "Okay."

"Hey, I'll walk with you to your airship." Kendra said to the Fey.

"Um, the Argo isn't here at Nalatia anymore." Ethan said.

"What?" Rachel and Kendra said at the same time.

He explained about Selene, and then gave Rachel an apologetic look. "Sorry, we all talked about it telepathically so the guards wouldn't hear. Now that your collar is off, you should definitely join the group."

The redhead gave him a small smile, and something about her seemed to change just slightly. It was like she glowed all of a sudden. There was a level of calm happiness about her that wasn't a 'jumping for joy' kind, but instead was much deeper. It was almost like the 'newlywed glow' or a newly pregnant mother. All of a sudden something about her seemed happier; more at peace.

"I'd like that." She smiled.

She had a great smile.

"Speaking of collars." Kendra gave him a suspicious look. "How in Saidow's lair did you get the mana to enchant your claw to be sharp enough to cut that collar off?"

He grinned, slightly relishing the fact that she didn't know and was annoyed about it.

"Magic." He winked.

She didn't look amused. "That shouldn't be possible, and Lady Ekthros isn't stupid enough to keep a dragon near any sizeable amount of gold. How'd you do it?"

He looked at for a moment, considering if he really trusted her enough to reveal how. After a moment, he shook his head. "Kendra, you've been very helpful since Lord Delmar attacked, but I still would rather not say. To be blunt, I'm not sure I trust you enough. You wouldn't be willing to reveal your best dragon hunting tips and how to beat them, would you?"

She set her jaw, but nodded. "That's fair."

"When is the Argo coming back?" Rachel asked.

"They're about four days away." He replied. "They just found Selene, and will probably say hi after Beth makes sure everything is safe by scouting on the Astral Plane."

He could feel a primal part of him bristling at their distance. He hadn't felt the dragon this strongly is some time, and it seemed to be very upset that his wives were so far away. He was too, but for different reasons. He could feel some primitive, possessive part of him seething at their distance; his property shouldn't travel so far from him. He shook his head slightly, not liking the dragon's thoughts or strong presence coming back. He pushed the dragon away and into the back of his mind.

It did not like that.

"Kendra, would you be willing to fly us to the Argo in your airship?" Taloni asked sweetly.

"You've seen my airship, there isn't a lot of room for four people." She shook her head. "Besides, I couldn't sleep wink with a dragon nearby."

She wasn't wrong about the size. If Ethan remembered the size of her airship correctly, fitting all four of them on it would be uncomfortably tight. Doable, but tight.

"What's really wrong Kendra?" Taloni asked.

The dragon huntresses glanced at Ethan momentarily and then hesitated for several seconds before replying. When she did, she didn't meet anyone's eye. "It's not that complicated. I have red in my ledger and I don't know how to wipe it out."

Rachel gave her a sympathetic smile. "Speaking as someone who had previously accrued a lot of red in the 'Ethan column' of my ledger, you'll get plenty of chances to clear the red if you hang around him long enough."

"And I'll owe you one if you give us a ride." Ethan added. "I miss my wives and don't want to wait four whole days to see them again; you giving us a lift will cut that time in half."

"You wouldn't owe me anything, I would just owe you one less." Kendra corrected, then cocked her head to one side and added. "You really want to see them that much?"

"I do."

She hesitated for several seconds as she considered. "Okay, I'll give you a ride; but then I'm gone."

The burst of happiness from Taloni was almost palpable.

* * *

Selene had watched the airship hover above the outpost for almost ten minutes before someone started down the rope ladder, which had been hanging down nearly the entire time. It was the chocolate-haired girl in the green dress, followed shortly thereafter by a blonde girl in a royal blue dress. She recognized them both, and simply couldn't believe her eyes.

How had they found her?

Tellingly, she didn't see the dragon man -- Ethan -- around anywhere. For some reason, that struck her as strange. She wasn't sure she wanted to see him again, given how their last encounter had gone. However, she'd be lying if she said that she hadn't thought about it once or twice... and maybe dreamt about it too... and maybe used it as mental fuel for a few 'stress relief' sessions.

The two women climbed all the way down the ladder and then started walking towards her, both looking slightly nervous.

"Hi." Selene said when they were within earshot.

"Hi again." The one with the pointed ears replied. What was her name again? Ashley? Anna? Aleah? Something like that.

"What brings you here?" The ex-FBI agent asked.

"You actually." The blonde replied. "Do you remember us?"

"You're hard to forget. Is that dragon fellow with you?"

The brunette shook her head. "No, he was... waylaid. We're going to meet him next." An undeniably happy smile crossed her face at that.

"So, you're here for me then?" She said, casually resting her hand on the leather pouch that contained the Glock 26, just in case. She didn't think they would hurt her, but better safe than sorry.

The blond nodded. "A little birdie told us you were in trouble and might need some help."

"That was you?"

"No, it was a friend." The wood elf replied. "He sent us a letter saying that you might need some help."

The Brazilian woman tapped her finger on her pouch. "So, do you do this often? Ride to help people you barely know and who have been... adversarial in the past?"

"Ethan does yeah." The blonde rolled her eyes. "I love that about him, but I hate when it means we're apart."

Selene made a thoughtful sound.

"Are you in any trouble here?" The wood elf asked.

"It depends on what you mean by trouble." The Brazilian woman replied evenly, not sure how much to give away.

"Does stuck on another world with no way home count?" The wood elf asked with a grin.

"How did you know?"

"Our friend has had someone watching that portal for years; he had some people keep an eye on you using birds."

Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers