A Dragon's Tale Ch. 43

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He wolf whistled.

Beth felt her cheeks grow warm, which was weird since she wasn't in her body right now.

"You look a bit like a ghost, but at least I'll know where you are." He smiled at her. "Go ahead, and I'll meet you by the mine's entrance."

* * *

Ethan flapped his wings more to gain even more altitude, not entirely sure how high he should be to be safe from orcish arrows. He figured a thousand feet should be enough with his armor, enhanced reflexes, and the precognition that warned him of danger; his own personal 'dragon-sense'.

He looked down at the field and could see a faint blue glow walking across it. He had tightened the focus of the enchantment in his eyes, making it as narrow as possible to keep the mana costs down and it had worked. It used a sizeable chunk of his mana, but not so much that he couldn't heal in a fight. The result was that he could see a faint royal blue outline of his second wife. He'd chosen the color on purpose because it matched her dress.

He could see her clearly, but he could also see through her. It was a bit like a ghost in many movies. He could make out facial expressions without much difficultly, but he also could've seen the expressions of someone who was standing behind her.

*Go ahead and wait at the edge of the forest by the mine's entrance, and I'll meet you once I've done a fly-over.* He told her.

*Yes Dominus.* She said brightly, the smile that appeared on her face just barely visible to his dragon eyes.

He flew over the mountain range -- really more like a 'large hill range' -- looking for an orcish encampment. The hill range was densely wooded in some areas, but completely void of trees in other. The areas that were void of trees were extremely green like the rest of Ivernia, but there were plentiful bushes and other plants which gave it a wild appearance anyway.

Eventually he saw what he was looking for. It was situated about a mile southwest of the mine's entrance on a large hill with a mostly flat top. It was entirely devoid of trees on both the hilltop and slopes, which would both make defense with bows easy, and also make attacking it difficult. It would also make sneaking up on the camp virtually impossible.

It looked like the orcs dwelt in teepees similar to the Native America Indians. Instead of being arranged in a ring, they were arranged around a central large building, radiating outwards so the line of sight to the slope of the hill was blocked as little as possible.

Smart.

Annoying, but smart.

Of course, those particular things didn't affect him because he could fly. However, the large orcs wandering around as sentries with axes, clubs, and longswords -- the latter probably stolen from men they'd killed -- would definitely affect him. That and the bows; he was sure every male orc in the camp had a bow, though few were carrying them right now.

There were also a lot of goblins in the camp too, usually hanging out in groups of three.

There were several hills nearby on which an orc and several goblins were watching herds of sheep. For some reason, that seemed like a really strange thing to Ethan. However, he supposed that if they ate mostly meat, they'd need a source for it. It made sense, but still just seemed wrong to think of orcs as shepherds.

Overall it looked like there were maybe two hundred total in the camp, counting orcs and goblins.

The numbers were lower than he'd been expecting, but still far more than he could fight at one time.

*I'm heading to you.* He thought to Beth as he turned.

*I'll be waiting.* She replied.

He dropped down next to her at the edge of the forest not long afterwards. *You look good while blue.*

She frowned. *Don't you mean 'in blue'?*

*Nah.* He explained how he saw her while she was on the Astral Plane.

She chuckled. *Okay, I'll concede 'while blue'.*

He dropped down to all fours and decided that stealth was the right approach. The last thing he wanted was to be ambushed by orcs in a place where he couldn't fly. Being ambushed by goblins would be even worse. They started walking towards the orcish encampment as he tried to figure out what the plan was.

*Dominus, it's pretty cool that you can just enchant your eyes like that.* Beth said as they walked through the forest.

*Yeah, it is.* He replied. "I'm pretty sure the only reason I can see you is because we're bonded though."

*Oh?*

*Yeah, I think if I tried to see anything else, it either wouldn't work, or would take so much mana that it wouldn't be worth it.*

*Makes sense.* Beth replied, but he got the distinct impression that she had more to say. It took her another minute to say it though.

*Taloni told you no earlier at the service.* She pointed out.

*I noticed.* He nodded.

*Were you going to talk to her about that?*

He shook his head. *She'll come talk to me when she's ready to. I'm pretty sure it really bothers her, or will when she finishes calming down.*

*She hasn't already?*

*No.* He shook his head as he avoided stepping on a branch so the noise wouldn't give him away. *She was starting to, but she got upset again when the Luminar and his wife showed up again. That's part of the reason I didn't talk to her about it before I left.*

*Hmm.* She nodded, but didn't speak for several seconds. *You know her really well Dominus. You know us all really well, don't you?*

*I don't know about 'really well', but I try.*

The blonde stopped and looked at him, the near-transparent blue hue of her face in a thoughtful expression. *Who am I?*

*What do you mean?* He asked.

*Well, you know all of us so well, I guess I'm just wondering if you know who I am because I'm not really sure.*

*Oh?*

*Well, I guess I've always thought of myself in relation to other people. I mean, growing up in Gralden I was always 'Lord Borden's daughter', and then I got married and now I'm 'the prophet's wife'." She paused. *I realized after that talk with my father that I knowexactly who I am in one area of my life -- I'm your wife and proud to be -- but what about the other areas?*

*Oh?*

*Yes.* She nodded. *I guess I was just wondering, who am I by myself? You know, not in relation to other people.*

He looked at her, and realized that she was just exactly the right age to start asking those kinds of questions. *I think you'reyou. You're Elizabeth Ejder, a kind, curious, knowledgeable, and--" He winked at her. "--a sometimes annoying well-read young woman who can do Astral Projection, which is pretty impressive if you think about it.*

She chuckled, then pursed her lips. *But that's just what I cando, who am I besides that?*

*What do you mean?*

*Um, am I a carefree girl, or am I more reserved? Am I a country girl or a city girl? Am I the kind of person you could see being happy as just a mother, or should I do something more?*

*Well, two things occur to me.* He replied as they started walking again. *First, why does it have to be only one of those? Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't you be a country girland a city girl? Why can't you be reserved sometimesand carefree at others?*

*I don't know, I suppose I could be?* She cocked her to one side, then looked at him. *What's the second thing?*

*There's no such thing a 'just a mother'.* He replied. *Being a mother is a lot of work, and I have nothing but the highest respect for full-time or stay-at-home moms.*

*Really?* Her face look hopeful.

*Absolutely.* He replied.

*Am I the kind of person you could see doing that?*

He gave her an amused look. *You do realize you're asking me to tell you what kind of person you are, right? That's not a good question for me, it's a better question for you.*

*I know, it's just that--* She stopped mid-sentence, and he knew exactly why.

Someone blew a horn from nearby.

An orcish horn.

Knowing it could only be for him, he stood up looking around for the danger.

The whole word slowed as he saw an orcish arrow heading towards his breastplate, striking dead on so that it cracked a rib.

His enhanced reflexes kicked in the instant his 'dragon-sense' activated. He couldn't possibly hope to dodge the arrow because he had only a quarter of a second notice. However, he twisted his torso as fast as he possibly could, angling it so the arrow hit obliquely.

Wham!

He was physically pushed back by the impact, which hurt like hell but thankfully didn't break any bones. It felt like someone had hit him with a small hammer though. The arrow didn't exactly skitter off, but instead the arrowhead cut a furrow into his dragon skin armor before it slid off. It didn't penetrate, but the furrow was deeper than he would've liked.

It also created a small dent.

He knew the self-repairing armor would begin to heal itself immediately, but doubted it would finish the job before the end of this fight.

He recovered his balance and activated his shield, unfurling it as half a dozen orcs arose from the bushes nearby. They didn't give him time to ready himself, but instead started charging at him instantly. They were all at least a foot taller than he was and built like line linebackers. One had a sword, two had axes paired with wooden shields, and the last three had clubs with spiked bands around the business end.

They were four yards out and closing, and he couldn't fly away because of the trees around him.

Fuck.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Note: This chapter began on day 91 of Ethan's life in the Ten Kingdoms, and ended on day 92. I'm glad so many people like the language connection from the last chapter. :) I try to make my stories as "realistic" as possible, including the fantastical bits. I'm glad that you all enjoy the extra details needed to make it that way.

I submit new chapters on the last Wednesday of every month, and they usually drop after the 2-3 days review process. Thus I'll submit the next chapter on March 29th, and it'll probably drop on March 30 or April 1st.

I'd like to extend a very special thanks to two of my patrons, one of whom didn't want to be credited by name. So "Anonymous" and Joseph: thank you so much for your support. I really appreciate it.

STORY TAGS: dragon, magic, medieval, elf, teen, romance, virgin, harem, cuckquean

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
21 Comments
TekExTekEx3 months ago

the main storyline is decent, but the Sarah interludes continue to be painful.

its distracting, and i cant focus on the main story because its just done badly.

i see no points in where Sarah is acting like a real person. Additionally, the "they're so very trustworthy" thing just feels bad. Should have had some subtle hints or cracks for her to question and reason away - SOMETHING to show she has a brain, and is just being manipulated, as opposed to being some weird npc bot that does and believes whatever the latest "totally trustworthy" person says without any desires or will of her own.

whip313whip3135 months ago

Consider: Religious people reading their religious books and DECIDING what they mean... differently than other people of the same religion reading the same words. An omnipotent, omniscient god who (apparently) wants to communicate with his children (as evidenced by the book he supposedly wrote/inspired) but not smart enough to be able to write words that clearly mean what they say.

Consider: Religious people reading words in their religious books that clearly do mean what they say, but deciding that they don't mean that because the god they've decided they want to worship wouldn't have said that... while other people of the same religion read them, understand them, and act on them exactly as they are written but are then deemed 'evil' by others of their same religion.

Conclusion: Men created gods. Not the other way around. Men still create their god(s). You can take any two people of the same congregation and talk to them separately, asking very detailed questions about who their god is, what it wants, what it has done, and what it will do... and you are going to get many significant differences between them. Since that is the case, from a religion's point of view, does it really matter WHAT the people believe, or does it matter only that they believe SOMETHING that keeps them showing up and donating their money to the church? If it does matter what they actually believe, why are churches so bad at effectively communicating and agreeing on basic concepts like these? Answer: Men create their own gods and then worship them. Churches are just social clubs for people who value morality. That is why hostility and fights break out when individual attendees of churches actually try to debate the finer points of their doctrine (which this religious apologist author even admitted in his story), and why churches avoid those kind of discussions. Because it's not about the truth or being accurate about reality, it's about social cohesion, identity politics, and primitive mammalian tribalism.

Now. Stop taking us to church in a sexy-time story... or at the very least, be better at being a religious apologist. The 'points' you're trying to make are back-firing.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

So Ethan tone polices Taloni then curses out the Luminar himself?

The descriptions are repetitive and lack detail - e.g. any humanoid of large build is described as a linebacker (which means little to a non-American - aren't all American football players large?)

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

That last comment about his wives being left out is on point. Seems like they’re only there for sex breaks for this story. Once he has them, they’re basically plot armor from that point on. Lame

I’ve finally figured out what’s been bothering me for a while now though. The dragon is the biggest prude. It’s kind of hilarious as I think back to TSM reference and author note after because the stories couldn’t be more different. In TSM the main guy is all about pleasing the girls no matter what. In this story the girls are only here to please the main guy and only in ways he and his extremely prudish behavior allow.

Think about it. He never goes down on any of them. They do on each other. In this chapter we finally find out that he’s absolutely against anal. You know, that’s fine in reality, but in a fantasy world where he’s basically got 5 women who will never have the opportunity to leave him for someone who is actually into what they like, he sure throws down ultimatums like “no anal ever” without ever checking with his wives if they might be into it. And if they are? Too bad. The dragon isn’t and they’re just shit out of luck. Good thing that they never want oral either, cause the dragon isn’t gonna do that too.

One star.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

okay Selene gets points for being an animal person..... I do like the whole I'm not nurturing enough conversation she is having then finds the furball and BAM! I need to help him, and care for him, and provide for him. Pretty sure that answers the whole nurturing enough thing.

Speaking of Characters I don't like....... Sarah thinks Fiona is an honest person. She doesn't know why, but she does. Okay that makes sense.Fiona is honest. Fiona speaks out about lady Arch Mage, oh she just doesn't know her. Also no comment with the conflicting stories? Lady arch mage tells her Ethan compelled Rachel to follow him. Fiona tells her, Rachel left to study dark arts and such. Those are two very different things.

Is Alana forgetful or is the author? Kendra asks her to enchant her sword, and is told...... After I finish Rachel's staff, I can do that. Then I need to finish Ethan's armor, and then his Sword. Okay that makes sense. She finishes Rachel's staff and starts on Kendra's swords......No. Ethan's armor? no Ethan's Sword? no. Strength bracers for Selene? Yes. Then goes to look at Ethan's sword. I guess Kendra's sword and Ethan's armor got forgotten? Maybe not. Maybe they got finished and we didn't hear about it.

Why oh why, does Ethan insist on fighting the orcs by himself? What is the point of having Kendra there if she is just to be there and have sex? Why did we make strength bracers for Selene when she hasn't even been involved in a single fight? It seems like Ethan is neglecting his crew in an effort to keep them safe. Selene has been training for a while now with sword and shield, Seems the perfect time to use those skills, Like now he is being charged by orcs and goblins. Wouldn't it be nice to have people that can fight to stand by his side?

One of his Wives needs to gibb slap him and set him straight.

Just my opinions and thoughts.

Buddy J.

Thor needs some growth before he can wield the war hammer. Although he did start to lift part of it. Why do I picture in the future Selene riding Thor into battle? They can use magic to increase his size right? Or is he a cat? Maybe he is something bigger?

Show More
Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

Home for Horny Monsters Ch. 001 Mike inherits an old house. There's a nymph in the tub!in NonHuman
Charity Begins Next Door Life isn't fair. So when you fight back, fight dirty.in Romance
The Lost Prince Bk. 01 72k word demon-girl harem.in Sci-Fi & Fantasy
The Missing Dragon An elusive fire breathing monster leads him to a new world.in Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Three Square Meals Ch. 001 An unexpected tip changes a man's life completely.in Sci-Fi & Fantasy
More Stories