All Comments on 'A Drow's Dilemma Ep. 63: Tides Turn'

by DrowsDilemma

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
nthusiasticnthusiasticover 5 years ago
Did You Mean Devastation or Destruction?

Decimation does not mean devastation or destruction. It specifically means "removal of a tenth", from decem, the Latin word for ten. Goelon usually sucks the life out of everything in the vicinity. If everything is ALL gone, it isn't decimation.

The Romans used it to punish large numbers of men, selecting one out of every ten for death. The remaining nine were then forced to beat their former comrade to death, thus a horribly cruel punishment. Anyone who refused died, too.

DrowsDilemmaDrowsDilemmaover 5 years agoAuthor
Ahoy Malapropism!

@ nthusiastic: Thank you for your observation; you are correct! Though I have been aware of the definition and etymology of 'decimate' for some time now, sometimes things slip through the filters. Fun fact: as of now, the original text of 'Dilemma' that is being posted was written three years ago. I was prone to using the incorrect, colloquial definition at the time and have since tried to break myself of the habit (with moderate success.)

nthusiasticnthusiasticover 5 years ago
Totally Forgiven

Your response just demonstrates one of the many reasons you consistently earn 5⭐️ from me. You didn't whine or offer excuses as so many other inferior authors have done. You use words well, with precision and acute attention to both their connotation and denotation. Thank you for your refreshing creativity, admirable wordsmithery, and wicked sense of humor.

Admiralbird348Admiralbird348over 5 years ago
New things are great!!

Very enjoyable chapter! Thank you. Interesting comments on decimate. I had no idea so thank you both:) Why do I feel disappointed this was written three years ago? I have no idea. If you have that much of the story written , I'm surprised you haven’t published a book :)) Thanks for the adventure!!

DrowsDilemmaDrowsDilemmaover 5 years agoAuthor
A Little on How Dilemma is Written

@nthusiastic Thank you for your kind words and support :)

@Admiralbird384 Indeed, this part of the story was written three years ago. And it’s still being worked on today. In both cases that is good news! With hundreds of hours of discussion and writing, my partner and I have a good idea of the story direction and themes. This means we can iron out incongruities and sprinkle in foreshadowing. It also gives us a nice buffer of material that just needs to be edited - a life-saver in times where we are extra busy (like the time I birthed and had to take care of a newborn).

We are working on non-erotic material for publishing purposes, which is currently showing some modest promise. But that is more my partner’s project, which has to stay VERY separate from A Drow’s Dilemma for… family reasons, as one might imagine. As for Dilemma, we’ve mentioned more formal publishing, but couldn’t see it working in that format. For now, we’re going to stick to Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drowsdilemma (only two more patrons until I throw up one of our more experimental projects here and on Patreon! Seven more until Patreon-only side-stories!) *coughshamelessselfpromotioncough*

Admiralbird348Admiralbird348over 5 years ago
Decimate

I noticed in the dictionary that total destruction is considered the modern definition of decimate lol. So everyone is right, but I still loved the history of it!!

AerthoAerthoalmost 3 years ago

Non-consent is clearly a running them in this series (not my thing, but I enjoy the writing for everything else), but this chapter felt jarring.

Evil monsters rape one of the main characters and plan to kill his unborn child by cutting Selene open with claws and he negotiates with them at the end while the party is all there to back him up? Why? Why would Selene go along with it?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDrowsDilemma@DrowsDilemma
5/19/2022 Update Due to being absolutely slammed with enormous life changes, A Drow's Dilemma is on Haitus until further notice. While these changes are good and welcome, they leave no time nor mental space to write. We do not plan on leaving the project forever! We hope to b...