A Father's Justice Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A couple months later, Ryan sat in his front room, eating a microwaved meat loaf dinner, watching television, when a news report grabbed his attention.

"This just in," the anchor said. "Today, the Department of Justice announced federal indictments have been handed down against Jacob Knight, the former CEO of Knight Petroleum. Knight has been charged with a number of allegations, which include attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder. He was relieved of his duties by the board two months ago after he was reportedly mugged in a Central City alleyway. His estranged wife, Lisa Knight, was named the interim CEO in his absence. Knight, who is now confined to a wheelchair, has been taken into federal custody and is being held without bail."

A few minutes after the report, his phone buzzed. He noticed it was Lisa, and took the call.

"Did you see the report?" she asked.

"Just saw it," he said.

"What do you think?" she asked.

"I think he's still as dangerous as ever," Ryan told her. "Maybe even more so. You be careful."

"I will," she said. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing fine," he said. "Just getting some work done on the old place."

"I can't wait to see what you've done to it," she said. "I saw that picture you sent. It looked pretty sad."

"Yeah it did," he said. "So, was there anything else you wanted?"

"Yeah," she said. "Now that he's been indicted, you may hear from the feds," she said. "They're interested in his attempt on your life. I just wanted to give you a head's up."

"Thanks for that. I've been expecting it," he said. They ended the call and Ryan finished his dinner.

The next day, he got a call from Mike Gregory, his lawyer in town, asking him to come by.

"I've got two federal agents here," he said. "They want to talk to you about the attempt on your life."

"Not without immunity," Ryan said.

"That's already been arranged," Mike said. "Can you make it in?"

"Yeah, I'll be right down," Ryan said. He let the foreman running the renovation know he would be gone for a while and headed into town. When he got to Mike's office, he was introduced to two men in dark suits, Special Agent Darrel Smith and Agent Jim Jones, both with the FBI, based out of El Paso.

"What can I do for you two?" Ryan asked.

"We're tying up some loose ends in the case against Jacob Knight and we'd like some information about your work in the Middle East," Smith said. Ryan looked at Mike before saying anything.

"I'd like some assurances first," Ryan said.

"We've already agreed to give you total immunity," Smith said. "We just want to know why Jacob Knight would want to target you." Ryan looked at Mike for confirmation.

"It's alright, Ryan," Mike said. "You have total immunity in exchange for whatever information you can give them." Ryan nodded his head and sat down.

"Alright," he said. "Did you know he, meaning Jake Knight, stole my wife 12 years ago and conspired to destroy my family?"

"No, we didn't know that," Jones said.

"He did," Ryan said. "After he took my wife and daughter from me, I did some private work for about nine years. My last job was in the Middle East, helping an oil sheikh beef up his security. I was later told that he was under pressure to sell out to Knight Petroleum. While I was there, we came under attack by armed individuals. At first I thought they might have been terrorists with al Qaeda or ISIS, but I later learned they worked for Knight. Somehow, Knight got word I was working for the sheikh, so he embedded a team of assassins to target me."

"How did you learn that?" Smith asked.

"I got that from the sheikh after the attack," Ryan said. "He gave me a dossier which was part of the package I passed on to the DOJ."

"Do you know how Sheikh Abdullah got that information?" Smith asked.

"No, I don't," Ryan said. "And I didn't feel it was my place to ask. I put it together with everything else I got later and forwarded it to you."

"So, you're the source of the dossier?" Jones asked.

"Yes," Ryan said. "After that attack, I came here and bought a place, but I paid to have Knight kept under surveillance. It took me three years, but after I got what I thought would be enough information to have him arrested and taken down, Mike forwarded the whole package to your office. As you know, the dossier includes overseas monetary transfers to individuals for the purpose of taking me out."

"You think he deliberately targeted you because of your ex-wife and daughter?" Jones asked. Ryan nodded his head.

"Yeah," Ryan said.

"But why?" Smith asked. "He already married your ex-wife. Why would he go after you like that?"

"Because he's a vindictive son of a bitch," Ryan said. "Because he's an asshole. I don't know and frankly, don't care. Perhaps he thought he could kill two birds with one stone."

"You know Knight was reportedly mugged the day before we got your dossier?" Smith asked.

"I heard something happened to him," Ryan said.

"You know anything about that?" Jones asked.

"Just what I heard on the news today," Ryan said.

"I see," Jones said.

"Is that all?" Ryan asked.

"For now, Mr. Caldwell," Smith said. "If we need anything more, we'll be in touch." They said their goodbyes and left. Ryan turned to Mike.

"Do you know what happened to Jake?" Mike asked.

"I know he got what was coming to him," Ryan said. "Call it a father's justice and leave it at that, okay?"

"Okay," Mike said. Ryan took his leave of Mike and headed back home.

He heard nothing more from the federal agents and stayed in touch with Lisa, Sarah and Bob as the legal cases wound their way through the court system. Jake's attorneys were quite busy, making sure everything had slowed down to a near-crawl.

Finally, after about six months from the time he reached out to the contractor, the renovation on his house was complete, and, not surprisingly, it cost a bit more than the contractor originally said. But it was worth it, as far as Ryan was concerned. The old exterior boards were replaced with siding, some additional insulation was added and some of the frame had to be replaced.

On top of that, the interior walls were repaired and painted, and new carpet was put in throughout the house. He had most of the plumbing redone, and the electrical system upgraded. The 50-year-old swamp cooler was taken out and replaced with a modern central air and heat system. The bathrooms and kitchen were remodeled and all new appliances were installed.

He had even built window boxes for the front-facing windows and had potted flowers put in. The old garage was torn down and a new one was built, with a door leading into the kitchen. Feeling adventurous, he built a white picket fence around the front yard and replaced the gate.

The front and back yards were completely landscaped, with new topsoil brought in, and hydro-seeded. Trees were brought in and planted to help shade the house and the yard. By now, the yard was lush and green, and Ryan realized he would need to buy a lawn tractor to keep it up. He even had a swimming pool installed in the back yard, thinking little Ryan might like that if he ever came to visit.

He also bought all new furniture for the place, replacing his old twin bed with a king-sized one, and furnished the other three bedrooms just in case Sarah, Bob and Lisa came to visit.

"You have quite a place here, Mr. Caldwell," the contractor said, admiring his work. "The foundation is in good shape, and most of the frame is holding up quite well. If you ever decide to sell the place, you'll make a killing."

"Thanks," Ryan said. "But I think I'll keep it." After the contractor left, he looked at the house and took a photo. In his mind's eye, the house seemed to smile at him, and he smiled back.

He went inside and admired his newly-remodeled house. Smiling, he prepared to send a picture to Sarah, Bob and Lisa, when his phone rang. It was Sarah's number, so he answered.

"Daddy," she cried. "You need to get back, quick. Please hurry."

"What's wrong, princess?" he asked. "Are you sick again?"

"No," she cried. "It's Mom. She's been shot. The doctors don't know if she'll make it."

"I'll be there as fast as I can," he said, ending the call.

...

To be continued...